Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Electric retrac battery question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Electric retrac battery question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Electric retrac battery question

Looking for advice from some modelers using elec retracs.I will be using a set of Robart 635 elec retracs in my new project and I was wondering if I can run a tap to one (or both) of my A123 rx packs or do I need to have a separate battery. Robart says the gear can be hooked up to the rx but I would not consider that option.
Thx
Vin...
Old 06-22-2015, 07:51 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Vin,

Yes, you can "tap" off one or both (parallel) of your batteries. I'm not sure about the Robart's consumption, but mine use so little power an extra battery is not necessary unless you need the nose weight, which I do.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:39 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problems arise when you get a jammed wheel or gear door resulting in a continued high current draw from the stalled retract motor. You need to do some sums based on the draw from a stalled retract unit and your reserve battery battery capacity.

Me, anytime I used electric retracts I used a separate battery and worried a little less.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:42 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Originally Posted by j.duncker
The problems arise when you get a jammed wheel or gear door resulting in a continued high current draw from the stalled retract motor. You need to do some sums based on the draw from a stalled retract unit and your reserve battery battery capacity.

Me, anytime I used electric retracts I used a separate battery and worried a little less.
+1 on both a Hanger 9 P51 and big Hawk. Just like knowing it will not interfear with my Rx batteries.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:43 AM
George

Yes, but a "stalled" retract should "cutoff" once the limited is reached. At least that is the way the unit is designed that I use. How are the Robarts "controlled"?
Old 06-22-2015, 08:46 AM
George

Also, I'm not saying this is not the "best practice" because I use a dedicated battery as well, but he asked if it was possible; and yes it is, that's all.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:01 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by George
Yes, but a "stalled" retract should "cutoff" once the limited is reached. At least that is the way the unit is designed that I use. How are the Robarts "controlled"?
The jammed wheel or door does not allow the retract full travel and the limit switch is never reached. The stalled motor continues to draw current.

Most likely to occur on take off and more common in grass strip operation than smooth runways.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:03 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

All the electric retracts I have used cut off almost immediately if there's an over current detected, that goes for E-Flite, Robart, and even Hobby King electrics.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:07 AM
George

J,

Not sure which units you are using, but Andy ^^^ is correct, at least as it pertains to my experience.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:13 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Vin:
I keep battery lead for my electric retracts separate, just in case a transient spike occurs during the retract cycle. I have electric Robarts in my Eurosport 635's as does my buddy Dave. I use a Hobbico LiFe from Tower LXDVCA 6.6v/1300ma/10C for $22 and change. Current draw per cycle is about 15 mAH.

Tom

Last edited by Tom Antlfinger; 06-22-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

The jammed wheel or door does not allow the retract full travel and the limit switch is never reached. The stalled motor continues to draw current.

Most likely to occur on take off and more common in grass strip operation than smooth runways.
There are no limit switches, they shut down when a preset current draw is reached. no matter if they are stalled part way or all the way in. no current is drawn after they stop. That is how all electric retracts work. No worries if you don't need the extra weight, just plug 'em in to the RX.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

So, if you can swap lead for a battery, by all means do so.

Other than that the next best way would be to run a lead from one of the batteries, that way if you're truly paranoid about current draw the other battery should prevent any receiver issues.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 AM
number27

I used to use a separate battery now I don't on my Electron ER40 and ER50's. All run of turbine battery.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:27 AM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Holston
There are no limit switches, they shut down when a preset current draw is reached. no matter if they are stalled part way or all the way in. no current is drawn after they stop. That is how all electric retracts work. No worries if you don't need the extra weight, just plug 'em in to the RX.
Don't want to bust your bubble but not ALL electric retracts work by sensing current draw. I have two sets that use limit switches.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:28 PM
sc0tt

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pkoury
Don't want to bust your bubble but not ALL electric retracts work by sensing current draw. I have two sets that use limit switches.
And just FYI, Behotec got it right from the start by using an encoder that counts revolutions on the jackscrew for travel limits. Current draw is only used in a stall situation or as a backup if the encoder ever fails.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Big bubbles, no Tribbles..........May all your Tribbles be little ones.........Scotty to Captain Kirk........LOL

All Of the "New " electric designs don't use no stinking limit switches.............
Old 06-23-2015, 05:59 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Vincent , I have electric retracts in a few various planes and have set up each one differently based on needed nose weight etc. I have ESM gear , r
Robart gear and Down and Locked all three use and over-current protection . I have setup power through the receiver, seperate power and shared power via Batt share. All setups have worked well with no problems of lost or reduced power to the receiver. If you are using enough battery and your retracts are setup and maintained within reason you shouldn't have problems with either setup you choose. Because of the over current protection the retracts will stop before the voltage drop is enough to interfere with the receiver. The key is to be sure you have enough battery to start with . You haven't said how many mah your packs are but if they are both 2300 to 2500 mah a123 packs then you will have enough battery for several flights on almost any 50 to 60cc warbirds with elect. retracts.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:15 AM
Vincent

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CK1
Vincent , I have electric retracts in a few various planes and have set up each one differently based on needed nose weight etc. I have ESM gear , r
Robart gear and Down and Locked all three use and over-current protection . I have setup power through the receiver, seperate power and shared power via Batt share. All setups have worked well with no problems of lost or reduced power to the receiver. If you are using enough battery and your retracts are setup and maintained within reason you shouldn't have problems with either setup you choose. Because of the over current protection the retracts will stop before the voltage drop is enough to interfere with the receiver. The key is to be sure you have enough battery to start with . You haven't said how many mah your packs are but if they are both 2300 to 2500 mah a123 packs then you will have enough battery for several flights on almost any 50 to 60cc warbirds with elect. retracts.
Dual A123 2500 mah packs
Old 06-23-2015, 09:19 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about the battery usage of other gear but the Behotec 50 size retract and electric brakes on my Comp Arf Viper use very little juice per flight. I am using a dedicated 3 cell LiPo for the gear but only for the weight. On a typical outing of 4-5 flights I will only use 200-250 mah. In fact only charge it ever 4th or 5th time out. Now that I know what the usage of this gear is I certainly would not think twice about using one of my flight packs to also power the gear. Also, the Behotec gear let you set a low voltage gear safe level to drop the gear if you ever get into a low voltage condition.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:35 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Vincent you will be fine with the dual setup 2500mah a123 cells with just running the retracts off of the receiver . If you want more security but still only 2 batt packs, power your gear from the second leg off of a Batt Share . You will have 2 pack redundancy for the receiver and the gear power will be isolated from the receiver too. This is the setup I use in my 1/5 scale Zero and I get 8 10 minute flights before I get to my 40% reserve point and time to recharge

Last edited by CK1; 06-23-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:43 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to use a separate battery now I don't on my Electron ER40 and ER50's. All run of turbine battery.
Yep, me too.

Retract servos (for mechanical retracts) & electric brakes run off my turbine battery on my BVM Sabre.

My next model will use the turbine battery for landing lights as well. It's there already, why not use it?

John.

Last edited by Boomerang1; 06-24-2015 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:37 PM
George

Originally Posted by sailing1
On a typical outing of 4-5 flights I will only use 200-250 mah.
This has been my exact experience with the Pro-Links.