Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Crash and fireball?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Crash and fireball?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 04:27 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jet Crash and fireball?

Hey guys I was talking to my jet mentor yesterday about the sad loss of his Skymaster 2m viper.

He has flown this sexy jet for 2 years now many times useing a kingtec k100 on diesal fuel.

He said he was doing a fly buy and had a brief lock out (wings rocked with no commands given), so he set up to land and he said it did it again on the base leg, but once he had it lined up to land it just rolled over and crashed about 30 feet up.

Yes he is useing Spectrum Powersafe 12 channel receiver with DX18, 2 6.6 life packs with 2 jr switches, and a Deamon Cortex gyro.

After the crash everything tested just fine with no drama, he thinks he was haveing TX lock out as he thinks the turbine was off before hitting the ground because there was no large fireball, as the fuel tank ruptured and there was diesel fuel everwere.

But as I understand Diesel is only flamible under pressure. So if you were useing diesel fuel would that decrease the chance of a fireball crash?

He thinks it might of been the gyros falt, but how would you test your equipment afterwards?

The motor and everything but the fuse is fine, but how do you know what to blame in this situation? I got the gyro from him as he don't even want to mess around with it and he likes his power box gyros better.

Can you send in the cortex for testing?

Is diesel fuel safer in a crash?

I thought our tubes turn them selfs off if there is a loss of signal for more than a second, so I thought the motor would of turned off the first time he thought it had signal loss.

What would you do in this situation?

Last edited by mikes68charger; 06-28-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:25 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Diesel does not have to be under pressure to burn!
Old 06-28-2015, 06:51 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Liquid fuel does not burn, it doesn't matter if it is Kerosene, Jet A, or Diesel.
To support combustion it needs to be atomized (air/fuel vapor), exactly what happens during a crash with Fiberglass or Kevlar tanks when they break open.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:48 AM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Poor kero on the ground and lite it - that's liquid fuel burning
Old 06-28-2015, 12:02 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scoeroo
Poor kero on the ground and lite it - that's liquid fuel burning
Actually, its not, its the vapor above the liquid fuel that burns.

JetA, Diesel, and Kerosene are so close, I don't think there is any significant difference in their flash points. As Rich said, the fuel has to be "atomized" in order to ignite. It also has to have a source of ignition, and for JetA, Diesel, K-1, it has to be an especially hot source - like an engine that is already running, or is at least still hot enough to be in the glowing red state. If it is not, then there is *much* less chance that the fuel will ignite. That is why its important to shut the engine down before impact. Even just a few seconds off and the engine parts (i.e., turbine wheel, tail cone, etc.), will have cooled enough to keep from igniting the fuel...

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 06-28-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:09 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
The motor and everything but the fuse is fine, but how do you know what to blame in this situation? I got the gyro from him as he don't even want to mess around with it and he likes his power box gyros better.

What would you do in this situation?
If he had a radio system that recorded his telemetry and conditions, he could check the log files to confirm if he had a lock out. It is possible that his turbine ECU recorded the last OFF condition as well.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:24 PM
mikes68charger

Are you saying that the kingtec would say it shut off as a fail safe?

Has anyone ever sent there cortex in for checking?
Old 06-28-2015, 01:24 PM
mikes68charger

Old 06-28-2015, 01:58 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger

Yes, I believe that the Xicoy ECU will tell you that. I'm not sure if you can access it with the HDT or whether you need the download cable. I'm sure someone else will confirm. BTW, I think his Spek DX-18 would tell him if it went into a hold as well, that is if he was using the telemetry. I don't think it records the RF data though so, it would have to have been checked at the time of the crash.

Mike
Old 06-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbine could be shut down and cooled off but a shorted battery will also start a kero fire after a crash. Saw one this last week and had it happen to me back in the day at Mich Jets.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:48 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Holston
Turbine could be shut down and cooled off but a shorted battery will also start a kero fire after a crash. Saw one this last week and had it happen to me back in the day at Mich Jets.
Yep, that's a risk - especially with LiPo's...

It generally doesn't result in the "fireball" right after impact though - its usually some black or grey smoke followed by flames... Equally destructive though if you can't get to the airplane on time. I've seen the same thing with gas-powered airplanes as well.

Bob
Old 06-28-2015, 06:10 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did he check the aileron servos? It could have been one going bad. They normally fail in a set position but you never know. Just from what you describe that could have been the cause. It appears no vertical change until it rolled over. So it appeared the elevator may have been still working.

The only other thing to find out would be to check the ECU for signal loss causing the turbine to shut down if that is what happened it couldn't have been the Cortex.

I fly the same setup in most of my jets. I have met a fellow pilot who experience a short lock out due to the failsafe receiver. The first time he got it home he told me one side would no longer power up. Later in the same jet ( a viper) the receiver shut down completely. He wanted to warn me last year and I am always checking for both lights on the receiver before I fly. I have not had a problem but you know the saying everything that is built by a human can and will go bad.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:58 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

You can read the Xicoy ECU with the GSU data terminal and it will tell you if the reason for the last shutdown was a user command (i.e. trim tab down) or loss of signal/power. That might or not might tell you anything. Atomization of the fuel is key to the fuel exploding on models as with full size jets. Kero and diesel are less volatile and dangerous than gasoline but regardless - impact hard enough, you will get a fine mist of fuel and a spark or any surface above the ignition temp will cause the entire cloud of atomized fuel to ignite. Essentially the same thing that the nozzles do inside the combustor when you are flying.

Greg
Old 06-28-2015, 10:05 PM
wshyangmur

They normally fail in a set position but you never know.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:28 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Actually, its not, its the vapor above the liquid fuel that burns.

JetA, Diesel, and Kerosene are so close, I don't think there is any significant difference in their flash points. As Rich said, the fuel has to be "atomized" in order to ignite. It also has to have a source of ignition, and for JetA, Diesel, K-1, it has to be an especially hot source - like an engine that is already running, or is at least still hot enough to be in the glowing red state. If it is not, then there is *much* less chance that the fuel will ignite. That is why its important to shut the engine down before impact. Even just a few seconds off and the engine parts (i.e., turbine wheel, tail cone, etc.), will have cooled enough to keep from igniting the fuel...

Bob
Bob is correct....
Here are the flash points of the fuels we use:
Diesel 126° F
Jet A, Jet A1 107.6° F
Kerosene 100° F
Gasoline -45° F

Temperature above the flash point will cause evaporation and increase the chance of a fire. Looks like diesel is the safest from this standpoint.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:54 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Yep, that's a risk - especially with LiPo's...

It generally doesn't result in the "fireball" right after impact though - its usually some black or grey smoke followed by flames... Equally destructive though if you can't get to the airplane on time. I've seen the same thing with gas-powered airplanes as well.

Bob
According to Bob's hypothesis then both of the fires I mentioned were due to batteries as there was no visible fireball in either crash. Just black smoke followed by gray smoke, in the case of the crash last week, I think that was due to fire extinguishers being deployed.