Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on BVM's E-Gear?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Thoughts on BVM's E-Gear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 09:24 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thoughts on BVM's E-Gear?

Just bought a Bobcat and was thinking of putting their E-gear in..I had their E-gear in an electra when it first came out and I wasn't too impressed, Had a controller burn up on me, it was the old one, looks like they are Xicoy now, and it seemed like the gear was trying way to hard to go up, and down..Anyone have any experience with their new set up?? Does it work good??? Just deciding if their E-gear is worth the extra money over Air..
Old 07-13-2015, 09:34 AM
cyphur01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the new xicoy controller on my bobcat e gear. So far it has worked great. Makes the install very clean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	2108870  
Old 07-13-2015, 10:10 AM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine has been great, with over a years use on both asphault and grass fields. Be sure to perform routine maintenance to clean and lubricate lead screw. Mine was the DnL version.

I also really like the e-brake ... no lubrication on o-ring, therefore less maintenance to clean and relube. Braking power is lower than standard brake setups, but not locking the wheels means straight ahead braking and less tire flat spotting.

JS
Old 07-13-2015, 10:31 AM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the DNL version in my Bandit MKII. One channel on the controller burned up then one of the main gear motors. After replacement no issues. I have heard xicoy controller is more robust.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:36 AM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the ebrake also. Maybe I didn't have it adjusted right but didn't seem to do enough for my Electra. Might try it again to see if I can get it to brake better
Old 07-13-2015, 10:56 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Originally Posted by DrV
I have the DNL version in my Bandit MKII. One channel on the controller burned up then one of the main gear motors. After replacement no issues. I have heard xicoy controller is more robust.
Wow, I had the same thing happen, first the controller burned a port and then the motor went out. This is really not good news. I'm thinking about trying the xicoy controller as well but D&L said it can't handle the current load; I see BVM is now only selling the e-gear with the xicoy controller.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

The reason for the change to the Xicoy controller is to add a high level of reliability and performance to the E-gear. It has a robust case unlike it's predecessor, and it is much easier to plug the wires into, which offers a much more solid connection.
The E-Brake V2 is a great item as well. It will send 60 PSI to the brakes with each application....BV has one in his new "FLY NAVY Ultra Bandit, and it works great. No air tank or compressor required. The E-Brake V2 is servo operated and uses atmospheric air. The only air lines required are from the brake cylinder to the brakes.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:04 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

FYI DNL makes the gear for BVM and Robart
Old 07-13-2015, 12:38 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Yeah but the controller is an issue I will see if they would sell only the motors and no controller.

The xicoy controller is also much cheaper, $100 USD with a built in sequencer for doors