Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Question for Jet Central kerostart engine owners

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Question for Jet Central kerostart engine owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 03:21 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for Jet Central kerostart engine owners

Do any of you filter the fuel to the kerostart feed, ie the 'K' solenoid feed? In other words, is the fuel filter in your plumbing only in the engine fuel supply line (downstream of the 'F' solenoid, per the Jet Central diagram), or is your filter plumbed in the system after the fuel pump, but prior to the split for the 'K' solenoid/starting fuel?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2015, 04:27 PM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Downstream from the Solenoid if I use one at all. Haven't plumbed my newest Rabbit with the Power pack but probably wont use one there either. I do however filter my fuel 7 times before it goes into my tanks.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:32 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Right after the pump
Old 07-17-2015, 05:07 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

prior to turbine, down from pump.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:10 PM
VF84sluggo

That's what makes sense to me, Rich...and is how I've done it with other manufacturer's turbines. Why Jet Central (unlike JetCat) shows the filter after the engine fuel feed solenoid and not right after the pump escapes me. The kerostart fuel feed line is unfiltered in the Rabbit plumbing diagram.

The whole point, as I understand it, is to protect the engine not only from any fuel contamination, but from debris if the fuel pump decides to come from together to apart. (As an aside, one can filter their fuel until the cows come home, but that won't do you any good if your system is filterless and the pump starts shredding itself.) Juan responded in another post that the burner isn't harmed by "small to medium debris", but even so, why risk any crud getting in there in the first place?

Thanks for the input. I'm putting the filter after the pump (like I always have with other turbines)...and before the line branches off to the kerostart solenoid.

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 07-17-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:28 PM
VF84sluggo

Here is what Juan posted, in reply to my concern over the plumbing arrangement:

There are several reasons we prefer the filter after the pump, and only at the primary fuel line, the most important one is that there is a small restrictor for lubrication that can get clogged easily, we also prefer the filter to be at the pressure side and not at suction side, filters tend to catch air bubbles and let them go suddenly, turbines can take bubbles but not the fuel pump, the fuel pump normally is protected by the UAT, but the pump can produce small debris over time and thats what we intend to catch, the burner is not be affected by small/medium debris

I think he got confused, thinking I was suggesting that the fuel filter should be upstream of the pump. That's not it at all. My point was, and is, why leave the kerostart fuel feed line unprotected by placing the filter after the engine fuel feed solenoid ('F' solenoid)? Why not place it right after (downstream of) the pump, but before you 'T' off a line for the kerostart fuel feed?

Juan confused me with the statement about placing the filter"...
only at the primary fuel line, the most important one is that there is a small restrictor for lubrication that can get clogged easily." OK, I get that, but why should the filter ONLY go on the "primary fuel line" (which I assume he means the engine fuel feed line)? How does placing the filter just after the pump so that it can filter BOTH the engine fuel and kerostart fuel have any adverse effect on this "small restrictor for lubrication"?

Oh well, seems crazy to me that Jet Central would plumb a filter in only the engine fuel feed line, and leave the kerostart feed line unfiltered...even if the burner can chew rocks.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:46 PM
leopaul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last part in the chain need to be the filter, you can have debris released from a valve seat.
If you want to protect the burner, add another filter on it's line
Old 07-18-2015, 06:10 AM
VF84sluggo

Ok, thanks for the info.

Am I correct in assuming, then, that a Jet Central engine has a different "small restrictor for lubrication" apparatus than one found in a JetCat engine?
Old 07-18-2015, 02:40 PM
VF84sluggo

Originally Posted by leopaul
Last part in the chain need to be the filter, you can have debris released from a valve seat.
If you want to protect the burner, add another filter on it's line
Rich, is this how you have your fuel system plumbed?

Randy