Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fej f-35

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fej f-35

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 07:24 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by erbroens
Congrats on your maiden flight.. and this plane seems hard to rotate, have you considered takeoff with full flaps like a F-18?

p.s. also the big F-35 seems to takeoff with them..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQCg2IZcKPg
Hi there, for the second flight I used partial flaps and it was so much better, it still jumped up a little but not nearly as much as the first flight. Im sure full flaps will make it even better. Yes the real one takes off full flaps. Just like the F-18, the F-35 has an Aft Center of Lift, which makes it a necessity to have a lot of speed prior to rotation.

I also think it is nose heavy. As soon as I fly it with the gear up I will start adjusting CG.

Last edited by FalconWings; 07-26-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:58 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Also the main gear look well behind the CG that makes it hard to rotate like the F22 and F18. Good job getting that thing in the air David. Looked good!
Old 07-27-2015, 06:44 AM
JSF-TC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 134 Likes on 78 Posts

David,

Are your main gear canted forward just like the full-scale F-35A & B variants. It's only on the C variant that the legs are perpendicular with the ground.

It's done on the full-scale for a reason.............

Paul
Old 07-27-2015, 09:12 AM
FalconWings

They are not Paul. They would not take the load. FEJ is not known for using the best materials on their struts. If they were canted forward they would end up either bent forward or tearing out the gear mounts eventually.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:13 AM
FalconWings

Originally Posted by gunradd
Also the main gear look well behind the CG that makes it hard to rotate like the F22 and F18. Good job getting that thing in the air David. Looked good!
Thanks bro, that is exactly correct. I think once the CG and flaps are set up correctly it will improve some.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:51 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FalconWings
Hi there, for the second flight I used partial flaps and it was so much better, it still jumped up a little but not nearly as much as the first flight. Im sure full flaps will make it even better. Yes the real one takes off full flaps. Just like the F-18, the F-35 has an Aft Center of Lift, which makes it a necessity to have a lot of speed prior to rotation.

I also think it is nose heavy. As soon as I fly it with the gear up I will start adjusting CG.
The final flare looked very nice.. the optimal CG position should be not very far away from your current position.

And at least with the 18, the more flaps is used, the shorter and and smoother is the rotation. I suppose I will work in the 35 too.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:02 AM
gunradd

I know for a fact it does NOT help on the F22 and makes it worse. On the F18 its just the opposite it does help. I guess soon we will hear from David if it works on the F35!

Originally Posted by erbroens
The final flare looked very nice.. the optimal CG position should be not very far away from your current position.

And at least with the 18, the more flaps is used, the shorter and and smoother is the rotation. I suppose I will work in the 35 too.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:15 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, lets hear from him... I bet it will help as he already noticed a improvement with a slight amount of flaps on takeoff.

And this takeoff with the F-22 is awesome.. seems that the plane judges by itself when and how to use flaps and even down aleirons a la F-18?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ti9GwnlVs
Old 07-31-2015, 08:28 PM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice work David! look forward to the digi scheme!
Old 08-31-2015, 03:43 AM
FalconWings

Flew again yesterday, this time with the gear up. It really got with the program once the gear was up. I felt confident enough to turn and burn some, and it responded well. It flew like an F-16 really, excpet for being touchy on the ailerons. Wings look tiny in the air, but it has a lot of prescence. At max aileron throw it rolls like an Extra 300 on steroids, even got a couple of extra rolls for free. Bottom line is I need to set ATV on ailerons, without affecting flap travel. Have never done that before.

Not sure if its due to having twin rudders, but rudders behave like a hiigh wing trainer on 3 channels, they are super effective for rolling.....but not for yawing. So the few knife edge passes I attemtped, I was not able to keep them for long becuase as soon as I kicked in rudder it would roll out. Have to play with the rudder travel to see if it improves.

Lastly, had a flame out at minute 5 (I forgot to charge the ECU battery!!). Luckily I was on a high speed downwind pass and had enough inertia to climb,turn around, and cycle the gear to a perfect but flat landing. No bad tendencies during flamout but it does bleed speed very fast and wants ground even faster (like an F-104??).

I'm shopping for a good gyro for aileron and steering. Ailerons will benefit a lot during gear cycle, and steering because rollout speed for takeff is high, and any variation on steering you will eat grass when flying on a normal runway. Should help during braking as well.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:45 AM
FalconWings

I know for a fact it does NOT help on the F22 and makes it worse. On the F18 its just the opposite it does help. I guess soon we will hear from David if it works on the F35!

Havent tried full faps yet on takeoff, but partial flaps are helping big time. I am now more confident on pulling a bit sooner and the "jumping" effect has been reduced greatly.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:38 AM
gunradd

Yes David its the twin rudders that make the rudder behave the way it does. It took me no less then around 30 flights of programming rudder to aileron mix and rudder the elevator mix to get rid of the roll coupling with rudder input. Also I would limit the throw on the rudder also.

For gyro hands down get the cortex and you will never look back.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:53 AM
FalconWings

shopping for cortex!
Old 08-31-2015, 05:03 AM
FalconWings

Question, how does a gyro on elevator feel? Noticed that cortex is 3 axis.......I've never used one on elevator.....will it lock AOA? Does it fell funny during landing? Will I have to "push down" to descend on final?

thanks.......
Old 08-31-2015, 05:33 AM
gunradd

It feels no different. Aircraft still behaves the same way. It just does not have any un-commanded movements like wind gusts changing pitch. Once you try it you will say *** why did I wait so long to use one lol.

Originally Posted by FalconWings
Question, how does a gyro on elevator feel? Noticed that cortex is 3 axis.......I've never used one on elevator.....will it lock AOA? Does it fell funny during landing? Will I have to "push down" to descend on final?

thanks.......
Old 09-03-2015, 06:12 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi David. Been watching your build and progress report for a while now with great interest. I have the same Fly Eagle all glass F-35. It is used and has 2-3 flights on it, but it has been sitting in my shop for at least 3 years now. Pretty much RTF less turbine, receiver and batteries. I installed a Rhino in it but pulled it out when all the Fly Eagle stuff hit the fan.
So, after your success I am planning on getting back on the project this winter. My current thinking is to still go with the Rhino for power. Then set up the plane with tailaron's through a igyro 3E using the ailerons for flaps only. I am in the process of getting x rays of the elevators to make sure they are sound and also will be going over all bulkheads with special attention to the elevator mounts, bearings and linkage.

With your experience so far, does this sound feasible?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 09-03-2015, 07:10 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hola David, es Hector. Ningun video todavia???

hmarmaizmd717
Old 09-03-2015, 07:53 AM
gunradd

Ken for a pane like this I would say the cortex would be a better fit. Then you could use tailerons and ailerons together if you needed ailerons. The 3E works great but the cortex would be a better fit IMO.

Originally Posted by sailing1
Hi David. Been watching your build and progress report for a while now with great interest. I have the same Fly Eagle all glass F-35. It is used and has 2-3 flights on it, but it has been sitting in my shop for at least 3 years now. Pretty much RTF less turbine, receiver and batteries. I installed a Rhino in it but pulled it out when all the Fly Eagle stuff hit the fan.
So, after your success I am planning on getting back on the project this winter. My current thinking is to still go with the Rhino for power. Then set up the plane with tailaron's through a igyro 3E using the ailerons for flaps only. I am in the process of getting x rays of the elevators to make sure they are sound and also will be going over all bulkheads with special attention to the elevator mounts, bearings and linkage.

With your experience so far, does this sound feasible?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

Falcon, will your F-35 be at GSW next week???
Old 09-03-2015, 09:51 AM
FalconWings

Highly likely Ron, As long as the new Gyro checks alright this weekend. I can always take it out if I cant figure it out and fly it manually, it's not too bad.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:51 AM
FalconWings

Ken for a pane like this I would say the cortex would be a better fit. Then you could use tailerons and ailerons together if you needed ailerons. The 3E works great but the cortex would be a better fit IMO.
I did get a Cortex bro, on its way. Perhaps waiting at home already.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:52 AM
FalconWings

Originally Posted by E.N.T.
Hola David, es Hector. Ningun video todavia???

hmarmaizmd717
El del maiden es el unico Doc.....the other times I was by myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-wQgBpvoLU
Old 09-03-2015, 11:20 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I have planes on both the Cortex and 3E and like both. Haven't really decided which I like the best. I am still leaning towards just using the ailerons as flaps to keep things simple. Will look forward to the report back from David after he gets some flights on his F35 with the Cortex installed.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:51 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Beautiful landing.
Hector
Old 09-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll love the cortex man, it's super easy to set up but if you have any issues, smitty and I can help you out at GSW.
I have one on every jet I own, I even stuck one in my tams F16 made it fly like a whole new jet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.