Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Lets talk about control Rods, what are you using, what works, what dont work??

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Lets talk about control Rods, what are you using, what works, what dont work??

Old 08-03-2015, 04:16 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dbsonic
The biggest issue I find in terms of play is the rest of the hardware including servo arms that are no good and don't fit the spline (SWB makes good stuff) and play in the gear train of some servos.
Agreed. SWB servo arms are the best and he has them for clevis or threaded. Although his 3/4 inch are still too long for me, I usually redrill them

Last edited by mr_matt; 08-03-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:34 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr_matt
The only advantage of titanium here is weight, it is no stronger than steel just lighter. So unless this is some physically larger replacement pushrod I don't see how these titanium rods are any stronger, just more $$$ kind of like kevlar fuel tanks :-)

Flex? I have used carbon fiber pushrods for years and they were bulletproof, mine were Central Hobbies like "Instructor" explained,

Agree with you here Matt. CF rods are stiffer than any metal, including titanium. CF really comes into its own when using long rods. I recall using CF arrow shafts in gliders with push rods over 24" long.. These shafts are thin wall aluminium tube about 3/8" dia, with a wrap of CF around it. Much less prone to bending under compression than metal or wood rods.. Interestingly, the next best rod material, was a length of 1/2" square section balsa wood. Remember those days..

Flutter is a complex problem involving, among other things, the elasticity of the entire airofoil structure stiffness, and control surface support systems. Control rods are one small part of the system, but I would be surprised if the rod material choice would add much to the elasticity of the system. Especially with very short rods like the Avanti use on Elevator..
Old 08-04-2015, 08:30 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sweeps
You can get threaded rod from Fastener suppliers and here in Aust it is called Brooker rod.
It is usually sold in Meter lengths but i am unsure as to how small a thread size you can get
Make sure you know what material is used in all-thread rod. Much of this material is weaker and will tend to harden when worked and will tend to snap off from fatigue. This hard lesson was learned many years ago.

I suggest that threaded sections be cut off from good quality screws. Screws don't have to be case hardened; softer steel (but good quality) actually works better long term