Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jr dmss

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jr dmss

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:07 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Jr dmss

Im thinking about changing from JR DSMX to JR DMSS. Going to get a FG 14 and am confused about what Rx and accessories I need. I have always used a JR powersafe Rx which allows 2 batteries and want to continue to do that same idea. The FG 14 comes with the 731X 7 channel Rx and to get the full 14 channels I will purchase another Rx of the same. What else do I need to have and any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

[h=3][/h]XB1-14DRS Xport Duo...
Old 09-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Dave Wilshere

Simpler models where 11 channels will do. RG1131BPU

Then you can use any SRS Powerbox with 2 x 712, 731, 612 all BX series.

Welcome aboard...
Old 09-12-2015, 11:42 AM
tp777fo

Thanks Dave, that's kind of what I was thinking. 2 - 731RXs and the 14DRS. What telemetry do you have?
Old 09-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Dave Wilshere

Originally Posted by tp777fo
Thanks Dave, that's kind of what I was thinking. 2 - 731RXs and the 14DRS. What telemetry do you have?
There are a growing list of options...but I use none! Never felt the need to know anything other than my thumb movement controls the model...
Old 09-12-2015, 01:55 PM
tp777fo

Currently with my Spectrum I use GPS, shows max alt and speed. I can set it up to talk to me if too hi, too fast or too far away. The Xicoy module is nice as it has the motor parameters on the transmitter display. The big one is if I have a flameout the transmitter warning bells whistles and vibrators all go off at once. Nice to have at a congested field.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:22 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

You will love how much quicker all your servos respond with DMSS, As per Dave's advise, i use a SRS Powerbox with 2 x 712, in my hawk and it works perfectly.

And as for telemetry sensors, I have the low temp range one which I have used to check various flight pack temps in EDF models to make sure they are not getting too hot, I have the pack voltage sensor which I haven't used in anger yet, and I have the new airspeed sensor, which I love!!!!

I have just installed it into my jet and so haven't started setting it up yet, but I did firstly installing it into my test pig foamie for a play. I had a mate look over my shoulder and I called when the model stalled while he called what the airspeed was as the model stalling at. We did this a few time to get an average. I then landed and added some airspeed to that figure and set an alarm, but only while the flaps were fully extended so that it wouldn't be buzzing away on takeoff. It took a few flight to get the airspeed figure correct so that I would have enough time to react to the stall and for the model to have enough time to accelerate from that condition but it now means I have an effective stall warning on the model!! I don't really care how fast the model is flying in all other parts of the flight envelope.

It added heaps of confidence to flying the base and final legs of the circuit because you knew that if you heard the stall warning you had enough time to add throttle and not get caught out. It also mean that on windy days, instead of added "x" amount of extra power to compensate for the wind and hoping it was enough you have a warning if you got it wrong. Seeing as my Hawk has a bit of a reputation for tip stalling it's going to make me feel far more confident on approaches.

All that JR need now is to get a flow meter sensor like the one Jeti have so we can get the exact amount of fuel remaining on board instead of guessing and I will be one happy camper!! Oh and voice alerts like jeti on the XG14 (yeah, I know not going to happen...)

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by ticketec; 09-12-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Dave Wilshere

They have an altitude sensor you can set to squark if you break the height. Plenty of other ones and I know they are working on other things.I still feel things like airspeed sensors are a distraction rather than a benefit, I can feel through the sticks if things are getting a bit slow-the wholly feel varies with conditions, flying site terrain etc.
The turbine stop alert is one that might have some worth. That can be done through the fuel shut of valve wiring as it triggers open/closed.

I just like the secure feeling with DMSS.

Dave
Old 09-13-2015, 12:19 AM
jofro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ticketec
You will love how much quicker all your servos respond with DMSS, As per Dave's advise, i use a SRS Powerbox with 2 x 712, in my hawk and it works perfectly.

And as for telemetry sensors, I have the low temp range one which I have used to check various flight pack temps in EDF models to make sure they are not getting too hot, I have the pack voltage sensor which I haven't used in anger yet, and I have the new airspeed sensor, which I love!!!!

I have just installed it into my jet and so haven't started setting it up yet, but I did firstly installing it into my test pig foamie for a play. I had a mate look over my shoulder and I called when the model stalled while he called what the airspeed was as the model stalling at. We did this a few time to get an average. I then landed and added some airspeed to that figure and set an alarm, but only while the flaps were fully extended so that it wouldn't be buzzing away on takeoff. It took a few flight to get the airspeed figure correct so that I would have enough time to react to the stall and for the model to have enough time to accelerate from that condition but it now means I have an effective stall warning on the model!! I don't really care how fast the model is flying in all other parts of the flight envelope.

It added heaps of confidence to flying the base and final legs of the circuit because you knew that if you heard the stall warning you had enough time to add throttle and not get caught out. It also mean that on windy days, instead of added "x" amount of extra power to compensate for the wind and hoping it was enough you have a warning if you got it wrong. Seeing as my Hawk has a bit of a reputation for tip stalling it's going to make me feel far more confident on approaches.

All that JR need now is to get a flow meter sensor like the one Jeti have so we can get the exact amount of fuel remaining on board instead of guessing and I will be one happy camper!! Oh and voice alerts like jeti on the XG14 (yeah, I know not going to happen...)

Thanks

Dave
I never found any issue tip stalling my 12.5kg EDF, Hawk in its original state, but by adding the wing tips it's so much nicer to fly it, easier fix than complicating things with electronics IMO.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050087.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	2119593   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060233.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	2119594  
Old 09-13-2015, 07:28 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're making a complete change in systems ie. DSMX to DMSS and you want "jeti like" telemetry, why not just go Jeti? At last check JR doesn't even have a GPS available??? Not to mention that there is no compatibility with any of the turbine GSU emulator devices sold by Xicoy, CB Electronika or Vspeak! That means you're a long ways away from being able to get Flame out warning, fuel sensors, rpm data etc. on JR.

Mike
Old 09-13-2015, 08:54 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
There are a growing list of options...but I use none! Never felt the need to know anything other than my thumb movement controls the model...
Dave you are one great pilot and extremely knowledgeable about all kinds of airplanes but you remind me of what my Father said to me many years ago when power steering first came out. "I don't need power steering I have been driving without it for years with no problem" Later, after he bought a car with one, he told me what a difference it made in his driving. He didn't know how he had did without it all those years.

Best Regards,
Stan
Old 09-13-2015, 09:45 AM
tp777fo

Tests show JR and Weatronics have the longest range. JR continues to reboot after failsafe where others do not. My main interest is reliable radios, telemetry second thought.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fpv-...o-systems.html

Last edited by tp777fo; 09-13-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:22 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by tp777fo
Tests show JR and Weatronics have the longest range. JR continues to reboot after failsafe where others do not. My main interest is reliable radios, telemetry second thought.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fpv-...o-systems.html
I totally understand that you want a reliable radio. Do you require extreme range? Consider too, that this is only 1 test and that range is a factor of both the Tx and sensitivity of the Rx. In this test case, I noticed the tester chose to use the Jeti R3 receiver. The R3 is typically used as a satelite or in a redundant receiver set up. To test it on it's own like this, I'm not sure it is a valid comparison, it would not be used like this in a jet. Also, Jeti users have not been complaining of range issues.

Weatronic tested the best but, it has the best antenna set up on the rx so, makes sense.

One thing that Jeti and Weatronic will both do that JR or Futaba will not, is warn you when you are approaching range limits. They also both completely log all RF data and both use redundant RF decks in the Tx to transmit to the receiver. Unfortunately, Weatronic suffers from the same limited telemetry compatibility issues as JR. ie. no third parties make compatible turbine telemetry. All is not black and white based on one ground test, there is more to consider

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 09-13-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:47 AM
tucson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
I totally understand that you want a reliable radio. Do you require extreme range? Consider too, that this is only 1 test and that range is a factor of both the Tx and sensitivity of the Rx. In this test case, I noticed the tester chose to use the Jeti R3 receiver. The R3 is typically used as a satelite or in a redundant receiver set up. To test it on it's own like this, I'm not sure it is a valid comparison, it would not be used like this in a jet. Also, Jeti users have not been complaining of range issues.

Weatronic tested the best but, it has the best antenna set up on the rx so, makes sense.

One thing that Jeti and Weatronic will both do that JR or Futaba will not, is warn you when you are approaching range limits. They also both completely log all RF data and both use redundant RF decks in the Tx to transmit to the receiver. Unfortunately, Weatronic suffers from the same limited telemetry compatibility issues as JR. ie. no third parties make compatible turbine telemetry. All is not black and white based on one ground test, there is more to consider

Mike
Mike I have been flying with the Jeti DS-16 for a year and a half now, in 3 Jets and two electrics with perfect results.
It is my understanding that all Jeti Receivers (with the exception of park flyer receivers) R3 included all have the same range and sensitivity .Additional receivers add redundancy Such as the R3 but have the same range.

Stan
Old 09-13-2015, 12:53 PM
Dave Wilshere

"One thing that Jeti and Weatronic will both do that JR or Futaba will not, is warn you when you are approaching range limits"

Guess JR don't need to worry about reaching a limit!

This was a thread about DMSS, Jeti and Weatronics may well be good systems, but they sell less than 1% of the total radio sets sold...
I sell a lot of JR radio through my store-a lot, and its a tiny percentage of my customer base who are interested in telemetry.

Dave
Old 09-13-2015, 01:32 PM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

I like that Dave! "there are no limits!"

Jeti is a fairly new platform compared to JR. Obviously I am biased because I am a JR Team pilot but having used almost every other radio out there except for Jeti, I know the feel of the JR radio is by far the most connected feel of any radio including the 18MZ. The DMSS signal is also a 3mhz wide signal and that is more powerful than any other radio out there today. As far as telemetry, JR wanted to build a solid platform for a transmitter before diving into making telemetry gadgets. No other radio compares to the resolution and quality of JR's 28X and the XG11. I fly both 3D and jets, only flying I would ever want telemetry as an option is for the jets. I have been flying jets over 13 years and never had a need for it though but if it was available, I would get it. Definitely not my decision maker for which radio system I want. For me its signal reliability way over telemetry any day of the week. Being that jet pilots are the minority within the RC community, I don't think JR focused on that as it is not a huge factor for the vast majority.

Having said that, if all the JETI has over the 28X is the telemetry, what will be the comparison once all JR telemetry is available? Also, the JETI is the only radio I have ever seen where a friend of mine lost their 40% airplane because the gimbal broke off in flight. For 3D pilots, we are aggressive with the sticks and that's a huge problem for me. As far as turbine ECU telemetry I may need, there's already telemetry for turbine ECU's that is android based and the 28X is android based so I wouldn't worry about that being available soon.

Last edited by PowerBoxDanny; 09-13-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:48 PM
tp777fo

Whats the difference between FG11 and FG14 other than 3 more channels. The FG11 is more expensive.
Old 09-13-2015, 01:58 PM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
This made smile. My vote for best quote of the year.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:21 PM
david surick

I have a Avanti dmss with x bus how do I set up
Old 09-13-2015, 02:22 PM
mavrick

Okay I wasn't going to comment on here about which radio is better but after seeing some of the comments what the hell I have been using JR and Futaba all my modeling life my last radio was a 12X and thought it was a great radio but JR and Futaba's marketing really Sucks. I switched to Jeti nearly 12 months ago and I have got to tell you it is the best Radio for jets that you could possibly want it's features and telemetry are simply awesome just spend 5 minutes comparing the radios, for me it was simply a no brainer.
Mav
Old 09-13-2015, 02:29 PM
david surick

hy there dmss x bus hard to figure out info is rear have a Avanti ready to go program //?
Old 09-13-2015, 02:33 PM
david surick

my ph is 408 898 8399 please help dmss xbus set up have a Avanti jet
Old 09-13-2015, 02:43 PM
david surick

have a Avanti jet need info on programs dmss x xbus set up rtf any one in sunnyale ca that can set it up please help ph 408 898 8399
Old 09-13-2015, 02:53 PM
david surick

thanks
Old 09-13-2015, 02:59 PM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

Originally Posted by mavrick
Okay I wasn't going to comment on here about which radio is better but after seeing some of the comments what the hell I have been using JR and Futaba all my modeling life my last radio was a 12X and thought it was a great radio but JR and Futaba's marketing really Sucks. I switched to Jeti nearly 12 months ago and I have got to tell you it is the best Radio for jets that you could possibly want it's features and telemetry are simply awesome just spend 5 minutes comparing the radios, for me it was simply a no brainer.
Mav
If you spent 5 minutes comparing the 28 to the Jeti, than how can you make a comparison. The 28 is has vastly too many options to say in 5 minutes the Jeti is better. Also, if your last JR radio was a 12X, then how can you even make an educated comparison? I fly a Skymaster F-14 tomcat amongst other jets in my hangar, I would not fly any other radio in my 14 than the 28 because of its vast expandability and need for over 19 proportional channels, redundancy, and rock solid connection. To say that the JETI is the best radio for Jets is a wild opinion being that the vast majority, and I mean the VAST majority fly either JR or Futaba in their Jets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.