Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Futaba 18SZ?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Futaba 18SZ?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot be the first to get one. Mine arrived this morning. It has a very nice bright clear touch screen and so far I have not tried to program anything in. It has a SD card so I am hoping that the 12FG files can be imported. The programming is similar to the 12FG so I am sure I will get to grips with it quite soon.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2442 small.jpg
Views:	2688
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	2123891   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2443 small.jpg
Views:	2062
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	2123892  
Old 10-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice John!
Could I maybe ask a favor of you ? Can you check if it has support for "multiprop". This should be available on the menu where you assign functions to each channel...
Old 10-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

Tower still hasn't started shipping them in the USA.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
Nice John!
Could I maybe ask a favor of you ? Can you check if it has support for "multiprop". This should be available on the menu where you assign functions to each channel...
Carsten

I have checked and it seems you can use the function button to change output channels that have already been preset. You can assign the same function to multiple servo channels and can change the trims and operating switch lever etc. They can be operated from the one trim and one operating lever.

I guess this means that you can have multiple engines using one throttle stick and trim. Not sure if this answers your point.

John
Old 10-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Carsten Groen

Hi John,
no, thats not what I'm talking about.
It is "multiprop" like in "multi proportional". Futaba has a small device, MPDX-1 that will give you 8 PWM outputs from one single channel on a receiver. In order to activate that, you will have to assign "multiprop" to a channel. You do that on the "function" menu, the one where you select which function goes on each channel (elevator, aileron, throttle etc).
You can see the two multiprop features on the picture of my 18MZ below
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-06 22.22.12.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	2123931  
Old 10-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Jgwright

Carston

Sorry about the misunderstanding. No I cannot see it in the function area anywhere.

John
Old 10-06-2015, 01:26 PM
Carsten Groen

Thanks for checking John!
Hope Futaba will enable support for it at some point in the 18SZ also.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:33 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If I recall correctly, the 18MZ only gives the multiprop option if the modulation is in 14MZ mode .. in the 18MZ/telemetry mode I don't think you get the choice. Perhaps the 18SZ is similar?

Dave
Old 10-06-2015, 09:44 PM
In the Haze

Would one be able to transfer models from the 14SG to the 18SZ?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by ww2birds
If I recall correctly, the 18MZ only gives the multiprop option if the modulation is in 14MZ mode .. in the 18MZ/telemetry mode I don't think you get the choice. Perhaps the 18SZ is similar?

Dave
It's actually the other way around Dave, the 18MZ gives you in fact only multiprop in "FASSTest 18 ch" mode. The multiprop is not availabe in any of the other modes on my 18MZ
Old 10-07-2015, 03:38 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by In the Haze
Would one be able to transfer models from the 14SG to the 18SZ?
I am not sure, I just tried with a SD card with my 12Fg models on it but it wouldn't read the index in the 18 SZ. I guess the answer is no unless they provide some converting software that I am not aware of.

John
Old 10-07-2015, 04:19 AM
Carsten Groen

We asked the Futaba guys at Jetpower about converting from 14sg to 18sz, the answer was no. Explanation was that there were so many differences between the two that it would be possible
Old 10-07-2015, 04:28 AM
In the Haze

OK thats fine thanks, at least we know.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:10 AM
ww2birds

Hi Carsten

Well I finally got back home where I could get hands-on with my TX and checked my memory about multiprop.. and at least for my 18MZ (maybe there are regional differences between mine and yours?) the multiprop option shows up in both 14MZ (FASST multi) and 18MZ (FASSTest 18ch) modes.

This is fascinating to me since I used the multiprop feature a lot on my 14MZ and recall being grumpy that it was not available in 18MZ mode .. but it looks like it is .. so that is great (Don (Jetkopter) told me it was but I did not believe him .. sorry Don!). I am finishing a build on a 1/7 F-15E that is already using all 18 channels and would love a few more so I guess I have this thread to thank for making me go check.

I presume that if using a PowerBox SRS or a Robbe 2018 you'd have to take the multiprop signal directly from the RX and then perhaps give it an independent power supply .. I don't know how much current the power boxes give to the RX since they assume no servos directly connected to the RX.

I am guessing the boxes would not "know" how to handle the multiprop signal .. but will have to experiment to see .. maybe it would work to plug the MPDX-1 into the appropriate channel of the PBox or 2018. If that does work it's way better since you could preserve the dual RX redundancy. But in both cases they use the S-Bus stream as input which makes me wonder if it would work .. we'll see...

Thanks and hope all's well with you! Loved using your telemetry system this summer, BTW.

Dave

Last edited by ww2birds; 10-07-2015 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:35 AM
Carsten Groen

Dave,
thanks for the nice words
Funny that the FASST Multi supports multiprop on your 18MZ!! I have not yet loaded the latest software on mine, maybe thats the problem. I will invenstigate!!
I did a writeup (a little "nerdy" and technical) on the Multiprop as I needed to be able to decode it for some new exciting projects I'm working on, you can find something about refreshrates etc here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2515995
I have a friend that will pick a 18SZ up tomorrow, its going to be very interesting to sit down with it and check the features!
Old 10-07-2015, 07:42 AM
ww2birds

You know, we must have a telepathic connection :-) I was thinking after I did the post .. I just updated to the latest firmware on the 18MZ (since they fixed the british units zero bug on the airspeed) .. "I wonder if it was not originally there and appeared after an update". That way I get feel better about not having a lousy memory. But way too much trouble to go reload old firmware to check!

I kind of got the impression that with the larger channel count on the 18mz that Futaba was moving away from multiprop but maybe not. I always amazes me how how fast jets (especially scale jets with speed brakes, operating canopies, tail hooks, parachutes ... etc etc) can eat up channels and the MPDX-1 is such a nice solution to trading update speed for add'l proportional channels for non-flight-critical functions.

Thanks for the pointer to the writeup. I have a theory of how it probably works, I'll go check it against your writeup .. nothing like real data and real analysis!

And of course I am +always+ interested in what you have cooking if you are willing to tell about it...

Dave
Old 10-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Carsten Groen

Yup, I will try and update my transmitter early next week, this weekend we have a jetmeeting, so no fooling around with updating transmitters
I have sent you a somewhat lenghty email
Old 10-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Starfighter
My Feedback: (78)

Hello All. I've downloaded the manual. Guess what? NO Aircraft "Throttle Curve" function. The throttle curve is dedicated to Heli use only. Or am I incorrect in my assumption. Also, did anyone notice that Tower is offering a limited time deal, $200 OFF on the T14SG, plus Easy Pay too. Anyone else as mad as I am over this( I paid the price of $559 !!! for this transmitter from Tower).
Old 10-07-2015, 01:41 PM
Jgwright

F
Originally Posted by Starfighter
Hello All. I've downloaded the manual. Guess what? NO Aircraft "Throttle Curve" function. The throttle curve is dedicated to Heli use only. Or am I incorrect in my assumption. Also, did anyone notice that Tower is offering a limited time deal, $200 OFF on the T14SG, plus Easy Pay too. Anyone else as mad as I am over this( I paid the price of $559 !!! for this transmitter from Tower).
You can use the function menu to apply an angle or curve or exponential to any stick lever or switch.
There is a maximium of 17 points in the curve if you set it manually. Also there is the ability to apply a delay if you want.

I presume this is what you were after?

John
Old 10-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Starfighter
My Feedback: (78)

Hello John:
Actually, no. This is not a dedicated "Throttle curve" function as is found on every other transmitter offering from Futaba. The only dedicated throttle curve function is defaulted to Heli on this radio. Futaba left this out, and no mention whatsoever of throttle curve for aircraft, only Heli.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:26 PM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by Starfighter
Hello John:
Actually, no. This is not a dedicated "Throttle curve" function as is found on every other transmitter offering from Futaba. The only dedicated throttle curve function is defaulted to Heli on this radio. Futaba left this out, and no mention whatsoever of throttle curve for aircraft, only Heli.
Sorry I do not think this is right... I have a 12FG and that has no 'dedicated throttle curve' that you say is present on all Futaba Transmitters. It uses the same arrangement now found on the 18SZ that is much more flexible where you can set the functions to any channel and set any curve you want against any of the functions. It is not just restricted to the throttle channel.

Not sure why you would want to set a throttle curve with a jet when the ECU controls the throttle response and offers options.

John
Old 10-07-2015, 11:51 PM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
Thanks for checking John!
Hope Futaba will enable support for it at some point in the 18SZ also.

Carsten

I just noticed that my 12FG has multi prop support but I never used it. Always had enough channels for what I wanted.

John
Old 10-08-2015, 03:53 AM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

Originally Posted by Jgwright
Not sure why you would want to set a throttle curve with a jet when the ECU controls the throttle response and offers options.
helps with throttle response to reduce residual thrust on big blocks in smaller jets
Old 10-08-2015, 05:49 AM
Elmtreepete

Hi John,
Picked up my 18SZ this morning, to replace my 14MZ. First impressions are very good - lovely screen too.
Hoping to be able to transfer model files from the 14 to the 18, but from a previous post, it would appear not(??) Looks like I will have to re-programme all models into the 18SZ.
It would also appear that to change switches one has to probably remove the back, instead of on the 14MZ ,which has removable top switch shoulders.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:08 AM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by myersflyers
helps with throttle response to reduce residual thrust on big blocks in smaller jets
But, you can do exactly the same with the normal mixers and a point curve ?
(apart from that, I can't understand how you can lower the residual thrust with a curve ? The lowest RPM is the lowest RPM no matter how the curve looks ?!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.