Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Futaba 18SZ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Futaba 18SZ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 06:53 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The comment on throttle response made me think of the idle-down function where you have a higher "flight idle" setting while in the air .. some guys slave this to their landing gear switch so that idle RPM is held higher in flight for faster spool-up but comes back down when the gear are dropped.

Of course you can do that with a PMIX too but you have to make sure you don't change the full throttle setting and I think the idle down does that for you.

Dave
Old 10-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave,
I understand, it just did not came thru my thick head the it would help with residual thrust as such (in my book, "residual thrust" is the minimum thrust the engine can produce when at minimum RPM)
At least JetCats has that feature in the ECU, you set the RPM for that "inflight idle". Its just a personal preference I know, but I really like the PMIX'es over all the builtin mixers, I like to be able to know EXACTLY whats going on in every case and I do that with the "dumb" mixers
It would be easy to handle all of this with flight conditions if needed
Old 10-08-2015, 10:03 AM
BoomerSooner
My Feedback: (80)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those who have received their 18sz, where is the momentary switch located and which version transmitter do you have (heli/air)? Futaba told me all the versions have the momentary in the same position. But, reading threads on other forums it doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
For those who have received their 18sz, where is the momentary switch located and which version transmitter do you have (heli/air)? Futaba told me all the versions have the momentary in the same position. But, reading threads on other forums it doesn't seem to be the case.
On my 18sz it is switch SH . This is the rear right hand position. It is the same as the 12FG.

John
Old 10-08-2015, 10:28 AM
BoomerSooner
My Feedback: (80)

Thanks. Is yours heli or air version?
Old 10-08-2015, 11:15 PM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
Thanks. Is yours heli or air version?
Mine is the Air version.

I have just set up my first plane ready for flying this weekend. I just put my 12 FG alongside the 18SZ and went through screen by screen completing the set up. I then took out the model and confirmed that it was working correctly and we are ready to go. I had not problem finding where the appropriate screens for the 18SZ were. The 18 really does seem very close in functions to the 12Fg but with more channels and the telemetry.

John

John
Old 10-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm also moving from a 12FG to the new 18SZ. It sounds like the numbers will line up, so it's a matter of manually putting every plane into the new radio. At least it goes fast with a touch screen. For those that hoped for a conversion, it is very unlikely anything will ever be available to convert files from a 12FG. They use an older file format and cannot really be converted (same question was asked for people trying to convert from the 12FG to the 14SG or the 18MZ.

I also purchased the new R7018SB Receiver. Should be a sweet combo on my new Hawker Hunter jet.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:43 PM
Starfighter
My Feedback: (78)

John: I never said I wanted to set throttle curve with a jet. I don't own a jet. How did you understand this from what I wrote. As I did write, there is no dedicated throttle curve on this transmitter, didn't know the 12 FG omits this too. I'm under the impression that all Fut transmitters (high line) included this function, as my T14SG does, my 9ZAP WCII does, etc. The throttle curve functions all of the time when programmed, not when activated by switch. So, why did Futaba omit this, and on such an expensive item? Oh, and by the way, JR, Spectrum, HiTec, Multiplex et al include this as a default function. So, no, I'm not mistaken, and do not feel that this transmitter offers more flexibility lacking this. I'm considering dropping Futaba, and moving on to Multiplex or Jeti. But, now since Tower has dropped the T14SG by $200 (claimed limited time only ) I don't think I can sell the 14 for what its worth, or is it worth anything since Tower's action? The 18SZ IS NOT worth the asking price, this is my opinion.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:35 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Starfighter
The 18SZ IS NOT worth the asking price, this is my opinion.
Then DON'T buy it.....
Old 10-10-2015, 12:13 AM
rfbenn

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Starfighter
John: I never said I wanted to set throttle curve with a jet. I don't own a jet. How did you understand this from what I wrote.
Probably because this is the Jet forum.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:46 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

And your handle is "Starfighter"?

Did anyone confirm if the new 18SZ had multiprop (MPDX-1) support?

Last edited by mr_matt; 10-10-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:47 AM
mr_matt

Duplicate
Old 10-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by mr_matt

Did anyone confirm if the new 18SZ had multiprop (MPDX-1) support?
Matt

I cannot see it anywhere, I will ask the Ripmax rep when I get the opportunity.

John
Old 10-11-2015, 06:17 AM
757Driver
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner
I'm waiting for the Jeti 24 as well. Should be out by the end of the year. FAAST telemetry only has GPS speed. No pitot available. Part of the reason I'm done with Futaba. Very few updates/added features to the MZ and telemetry is limited.
IM DONE WITH FUTABA TOO!

No no support of airspeed telemetry, fuel flow or any .kml files for conversion to google earth.
Really sucks because I like the transmitter.

Ive managed to get those things to work but everything is in metric and it just sucks ass.

PLUS THEY STILL HAVE NOT UPDATED THE SOFTWARE TO ALLOW A TALKING TIMER!!!

stupid stupid stupid

Futaba needs to quit worrying about saving face and join the current century.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Walo

Does it have a throttle dependant timer like the 300$ Taranis has? (It's a nice feature for small electric aircrafts without Telemetry)

Regards, Walter
Old 10-11-2015, 07:40 AM
rfbenn

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Walo
Does it have a throttle dependant timer like the 300$ Taranis has? (It's a nice feature for small electric aircrafts without Telemetry)

Regards, Walter
Yes it does!

Rob
Old 10-11-2015, 07:42 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Walo

Regards, Walter
Yes it does - I think it has two timers that you can assign any throttle position or stick position or switch to - but it does not have a "voice" count down of time remaining apparently, just various alarm tone / beeps like the previous generation setup as you approach your time limit and exceed it.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:35 AM
asimace

Hello all,
I'm considering to start using the Futaba FASST/FASSTest system as they now finally have a transmitter that fulfills (more or less!) my wishlist at a affordable price.
I'm going through the manuals and threads and found a note that makes me think a bit...

10. When a telemetry function is enabled,
the receiving interval (down-link interval)
of sensor data can be changed. If a D/
L interval is increased, the response of the
sensor data display becomes slower, but
stick response will improve.
Initial value: 1.0s
Adjustment range: 0.1s~2.0s

You can find this at page 44 of the english manual, in the "Link procedure" of "Basic operation" chapter.

Reading the above note I understand that telemetry refresh rate affects the stick response.
The lower the value of down-link interval (0.1s) the higher is stick response.
The higher the value of down-link interval (2.0s) the lower is stick response.
Is this correct?
Is this something one would notice in real life?
I don't really like the fact that telemetry can affect somehow the transmission in any case.

For example I have a friend who already uses FASSTest telemetry with his 18MZ on his jet and has chosen a 0.1s down-link interval so that the Jetcat SBUS2 ECU interface can immediatley signal a flameout.
He didn't know that refresh rate affects stick response and hasn't tried the difference yet (if any) changing the down-link interval.
But if he would raise the down-link interval he would somehow loose the immediate flameout alarm.

Has anybody experimented changing this down-link interval?
Do you think one would notice the difference in flight?

Thanks,
Mauri
Old 10-14-2015, 08:40 AM
asimace

Originally Posted by 757Driver
IM DONE WITH FUTABA TOO!

No no support of airspeed telemetry, fuel flow or any .kml files for conversion to google earth.
Really sucks because I like the transmitter.

Ive managed to get those things to work but everything is in metric and it just sucks ass.

PLUS THEY STILL HAVE NOT UPDATED THE SOFTWARE TO ALLOW A TALKING TIMER!!!

stupid stupid stupid

Futaba needs to quit worrying about saving face and join the current century.
Have a look here http://shop.tje.dk/catalog/ or here http://www.jauho.fi/sbus2---airspeed

Mauri
Old 10-14-2015, 09:47 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I will not give up my 18MZ and I too use some of the aftermarket sensors for airspeed. I have gotten to the point where I won't fly a jet without it. I just can't understand why Futaba would make a system with so much capability and then not take the opportunity to capitalize on this capability. These sensors should be plug and play from Futaba.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:03 PM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Futaba has plug and play Airspeed. Only problem is they expect you to buy a $165 GPS module to get it (after Tower discount). On the plus side you also get altitude and distance, and there's no need to mount a pitot tube.

Because I have an older Xicoy V6 Fadec on my turbine I can't find a telemetry converter. That fuel flow sensor from RCSENSE looks nice, does anyone know if it will work for sure with Futaba?

Just received my 18Sz yesterday. Seems like a nice unit.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:30 PM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Todd
Futaba has plug and play Airspeed. Only problem is they expect you to buy a $165 GPS module to get it (after Tower discount). On the plus side you also get altitude and distance, and there's no need to mount a pitot tube.

Because I have an older Xicoy V6 Fadec on my turbine I can't find a telemetry converter. That fuel flow sensor from RCSENSE looks nice, does anyone know if it will work for sure with Futaba?

Just received my 18Sz yesterday. Seems like a nice unit.
That gives you ground speed. GPS speed is fun but not useful for landing.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:32 PM
mr_matt

Any other difference between Heli and Plank version, other than the throttle stick ratchet? Tower only has the heli version now.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:15 PM
Jgwright

I have just tested a separate telemetry system with my Futaba Tx/rx. I used a Jeti Profi box stand alone system with the Jeti rx supplied with the Profi box. I plugged a xicoy Flight computer to interface with the FADEC ecu. I have a GPS plugged into the Flight computer and i get full GPS data as well as the emgine data battery data etc. I am still looking at what info to display, but I can confirm it works.

John
Old 10-14-2015, 01:22 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by Jgwright
I have just tested a separate telemetry system with my Futaba Tx/rx. I used a Jeti Profi box stand alone system with the Jeti rx supplied with the Profi box. I plugged a xicoy Flight computer to interface with the FADEC ecu. I have a GPS plugged into the Flight computer and i get full GPS data as well as the emgine data battery data etc. I am still looking at what info to display, but I can confirm it works.

John
But is all that data coming through on the Jetibox or the radio? I assume the Jetibox.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.