Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Futaba 18SZ?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Futaba 18SZ?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgwright
My 18 channel receiver has now arrived for my latest model the R7018 SB. I spoke with Ripmax and it seems I had not quite understood what it can do. The issue of the first 6 channels in FASSTEST mode only applies with the high speed setting. Apparently I get a full 18 channels at normal speed FASSTEST with telemetry and can use non S bus servos in all channels, which is great. Using the SBus mode I can have telemetry as well but I need Sbus servos. Seems like this does all I need. On my latest model I have 11 servos and it will be much better to have them all on separate channels and match them rather than use some Y leads. I will need an additional 3 channels for retracts, brakes and throttle so can use 14 without fitting a gyro.

Incidentally please supply feedback for things you think need changing with the Tx. Futaba will be listening!

John
My sw change requests:
1- assignable sounds to switches
2- ability to reorder my models
3- my pictures for models

Dan
Old 11-15-2015, 03:33 AM
Walid Ejje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ask a help to you guys more experienced. I have not found the 18szA in stock, but the 18szH. Will I have any regrets if I buy the 18szH. Thank you so much
Old 11-15-2015, 03:40 AM
Walid Ejje

I ask a help to you guys more experienced. I have not found the 18szA in stock, but the 18szH. Will I have any regrets if I buy the 18szH. Thank you so much
Old 11-15-2015, 04:19 AM
cyphur01

No regrets. The gimbals are the only difference. The airplane version comes with the ratchet on throttle engaged and the helicopter version does not. You can change this very easily with a 1.5mm hex head.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:44 AM
Walid Ejje

Thank you for explanation. Good flights
Old 11-15-2015, 06:55 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Walid Ejje
When you go to create a new model the default type will be helicopter on the "H" model and an airplane on the "A" model some of the switches may be in a different position too.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:56 AM
cyphur01

Actually, I've found when I make a new model, it is the same as the last model you created or are currently on. Just my observation. I do not know if that is normal.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:30 PM
BUDMAN27

I was flying my viper today ,and had a GPS on board. the max speed alarm has set at 129 mph. i got her up to 130. all of a sudden the voice went away. so I landed. i could not turn the radio off. i trid holding both switches down.no luck. tryd holding one switch down no luck. so i disconnected the battery. that did the trick.anyone ells have this happen to them?
Old 05-10-2016, 11:16 PM
macmuz

Hello.

Ordered an 18sza, received 18szh.

Is there any differences in software or switch layouts?

This is my first Futaba radio, coming from JR12x and this not Futaba's fault but not happy at all.

Thx Mario..
Old 05-11-2016, 02:04 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Default model type is heli and two of the switches get flipped on the the top.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:06 AM
IFlyEm35
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by macmuz
Hello.

Ordered an 18sza, received 18szh.

Is there any differences in software or switch layouts?

This is my first Futaba radio, coming from JR12x and this not Futaba's fault but not happy at all.

Thx Mario..
I'm curious to know how you like the 18SZ compared to the 12X. I absolutely love my 12X. I was forced to buy the XG11 with the DMSS change since I wasn't going to drop $2600 on a 28X. How's the overall feel compare? How about the gimbles?

As for the differences I am 99% sure the only difference is how the throttle comes setup i.e. Ratcheting or smooth. I prefer the heli.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:31 AM
macmuz

Well I think the jr feels better but I've only held/played with it for a few minutes. The programing of wing and tail type looks allot better on the screen but haven't bound a reciver yey. Also the gimbal tension feels soft for my liking but I'm sure there is provision to increase the tension and also put some ratching onto the throttle. 1 thing jr had better was the mechanical trim on the throttle, I di like that.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:00 AM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mario,

I used to be a die hard JR guy but moved to Futaba 14MZ (and now 18MZ), several years back. I still have my original JR DSX12 which I hardly ever use nowadays. The New T18SZ is fairly close to the T18MZ in many ways so here are some points to consider:

1. Futaba FASSTest is light years ahead of DSM2 (DSMJ and DSMX).
2. Once you get your head around S-BUS you will also recognize its unlimited potential and benefits (and S-BUS 2).
3. Programming is very different to JR and can be likened to Microsoft/MAC. Futaba is like a MAC and once you grasp the intuitive logic you won't look back, honestly.
4. The TRIM issue is an easy FIX, simply increase the TRIM step to 50 or more, and several clicks will drive the trim through its full range.
5. The HELI version has a smooth (almost no) ratchet feel on the throttle. This is for HELI flying (cyclic). By simply adjusting the TWO set screws on the back you can increase the ratchet feel (clicks), and also the stiffness.
6. Gimbal Tension. This can also be adjusted but I have replaced mine (and 15 other Futaba units), with the Heavy Duty Springs available from Futaba.
7. When you come to program the "conditions" (like flight modes), and wing camber (Flaps, Crow, Spoilers, Leading Edge Devices, etc), there is no other TX (besides JETI), that is as powerful as Futaba.
8. Switches can also be moved and assigned wherever you like, but remember to adjust the electronics (two position or three position), as well.

Just let me know when you want to program your model and I will run through some basics.

BUT please trust me - Once you start using this TX you will never look back.

Regards,

Darryl
Old 05-11-2016, 05:59 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by IFlyEm35
I'm curious to know how you like the 18SZ compared to the 12X. I absolutely love my 12X. I was forced to buy the XG11 with the DMSS change since I wasn't going to drop $2600 on a 28X. How's the overall feel compare? How about the gimbles?

As for the differences I am 99% sure the only difference is how the throttle comes setup i.e. Ratcheting or smooth. I prefer the heli.
I went to a Spektrum DX18 from my JR 12X and it never worked out, it always felt awkward in my hands, the size of the radio and switch placements were not good for an old guy with short fingers and some arthritis. Then I moved to the Futaba 18MZ as there didn't appear to be any JR replacement for the 12X coming down the road and if there was, it'd be a different RF format necessitating rx changes. The MZ is a really capable radio with great gimbals and programming options but it's still a bit big for my hands.

When the Futaba 18SZ was announced, I ordered one based on it's size primarily. When it got here, it's the closest to my 12X in how it feels of any other radio I've tried and I'm really happy with it. You also get about 95% of the programming capability of the MZ with the same gimbals at a third of the price.

Last edited by Zeeb; 05-11-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:13 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone know how to interface this transmitter to the JetCat v10 ECU using the built in 18sz menus?
Old 05-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Matt, you need an interface to send the data through the Sbus2 port. I have used the Ilkka Jauho unit from Finland, as well as the Xicoy unit (JetCat specific one) from Gaspar in Spain. The Xicoy fuel remaining numbers work better than the Jauho unit. Dreamworks sells the Xicoy unit as well as the one I haven't tried from CB Elektronics in Germany I think. As yet Futaba has not gotten the voice modules to deal properly with either one I have used, but the numbers work and you can relabel the screen to read the correct terminology. Futaba set this up for the Robbe telemetry unit protocols I think but that may just be a rumor, I don't know. Supposedly the Futaba guys are going to make this all work better in yet another future release of the software???
Len

I should add that the Xicoy unit needs to be the FC-1 to interface with JetCat and as such is more expensive...much more bang for the buck though...

Last edited by Len; 05-13-2016 at 03:25 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-12-2016, 07:15 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

here is what you need, I have one but still havent installed it.
http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...ter-For-Jetcat
Old 05-12-2016, 07:32 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys the question is do these devices work with 18sz firmware version 1.6 to display the proper labels and units on the transmitter?
Old 05-12-2016, 07:56 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Oops my bad
Old 05-13-2016, 03:33 AM
Len

You can rename the on screen labels for the displays, but you are going to get either current or temperature displays which represent the correct numbers but not the right units. For example I get the speech to say "Temperature 69 degrees Celsius" instead of '69 percent fuel remaining', which is wha the label (which I renamed to read correctly) states on the screen. Again a future (no one knows when) release should make the Xicoy FC-1 work, but it is unlikely the Futaba team will expend time to make the off branded or basement hobbyist interfaces (Jauho and CB Elektronics) ones work better. They did this all for Robbe apparently and we got the spinoff from that. It has confounded me as to why Markus has not made a simple interface for the V10 ECU's to use this telemetry.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:37 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Len
You can rename the on screen labels for the displays, but you are going to get either current or temperature displays which represent the correct numbers but not the right units. For example I get the speech to say "Temperature 69 degrees Celsius" instead of '69 percent fuel remaining', which is wha the label (which I renamed to read correctly) states on the screen. Again a future (no one knows when) release should make the Xicoy FC-1 work, but it is unlikely the Futaba team will expend time to make the off branded or basement hobbyist interfaces (Jauho and CB Elektronics) ones work better. They did this all for Robbe apparently and we got the spinoff from that. It has confounded me as to why Markus has not made a simple interface for the V10 ECU's to use this telemetry.
Has that been added to the 18SZ ? Last time I checked you could NOT change the labels/names of the individual slots, but maybe that has been changed recently ?
Old 05-13-2016, 04:09 AM
Len

OOPS!!!! I was stating everything from an 18 MZ perspective....I should read more carefully when I see Futaba 18 _Z. I guess. Sorry I dumped my SZ back in November in favor of another MZ unit just because I couldn't assign sounds to the switches, and I never looked back. Apologies as from reading the SZ manual there is no way to rename these telemetry labels... Sorry Matt. If it's any help the 18MZ's are on sale right now for $2399 and with the several discounts it looks to be about $2k at your door. I still have the 18SZ in Mode one if anybody wants one.
Len
Old 05-13-2016, 04:12 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No worries Len
I have done the exact same thing many times
Old 05-13-2016, 12:21 PM
ija

Originally Posted by Len
Matt, you need an interface to send the data through the Sbus2 port. I have used the Ilkka Jauho unit from Finland, as well as the Xicoy unit (JetCat specific one) from Gaspar in Spain. The Xicoy fuel remaining numbers work better than the Jauho unit.
Hi Len,

Just curious... Do you see some quality difference between Xicoy unit and mine regarding to the fuel counter? Or some behavioral difference? My unit reports back exactly the consumed fuel that JetCat ECU reports and if JetCat ECU's internal fuel counter shows wrong values the telemetry information will also be equally misleading. Same error will be visible also when checked with GSU unit. It's good to remember that my unit shows consumed fuel since RX power was switched on, not necessarily since last refueling.

Matt, 18SZ JetCatV10 sensor support with v1.6E firmware seems to be only partially functional and not yet useful. There is also logical difference between 18MZ and 18SZ:

18MZ reports "consumed fuel" ie starting 0ml and growing
18SZ menu is named "rest fuel" ie it would mean decreasing counter to me (same way as current GSU shows)

Interesting to see how JetCatV10 related firmwares will be fixed, to favor 18MZ original way or the GSU way of 18SZ....

Cheers, Ilkka
Old 05-13-2016, 12:57 PM
Len

Hi Ilkka,
Nice to hear from you sir! I have no quality issues at all with your product. I have them in several of my larger jets, as well as in a Habu 32x with a P-20SE. I do not seem to be able to figure out how to "tune" the fuel usage, the way I can with the Xicoy unit. The Xicoy unit has a number that can be changed in it to get the fuel counter to be very accurate. If there is something I am missing please advise.

As far as I know your unit only reports what the ECU says and isn't adjustable at all. The ECU again as far as I can tell isn't adjustable either...please correct me if I am wrong. What I have found to date is that the consumed fuel reported in your unit is very accurate in a 120 to 160 engine size but outside of those engines it gets very inaccurate (P-60SE, P80, P-100). The P-20SE's are ludicrous with both units and as far as I can tell it is the higher voltages that the magnetic coupled pumps run at, that is confusing the ECUs' counters for the fuel. I really don't know yet though as I am but half way through setting up the Xicoy counter with a P-20SE in a Mini Avanti S. Again if there is an ECU adjustment or one in your unit please advise.

Do you still have my email address?

Len

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.