Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The bottom of the barrel

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The bottom of the barrel

Old 09-17-2015, 10:40 AM
yellowbird911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received the same exact offer, and email from the same buyer, there is another thread about it. This scam can also be played by sending you a money order or cashiers check which will turn out to be more than the amount you are selling the item for. Then the buyer will say it was a mistake and would you please bank transfer the excess back to him, usually offering a bonus for doing so. You transfer by wire the money, which is instant, and then the check you receive will turn out to be a back check.

Friend of mine go suckered out of almost 2000.00.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/mark...4-scammer.html

Last edited by yellowbird911; 09-17-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:51 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Melvin, although your bank is correct in the info they gave you, what they didn't tell you is that these scammers are good at what they do. The latest and greatest scheme is they put accurate bank account and routing info on the check (that they stole or bought on the black market) and the fraud isn't detected for up to a month. When the victim bank account realizes that a counterfeit check was written on their account, their bank will debit your bank and your bank will come after you for the money. I've seen it a hundred times. If your bank says they would never do something like that to you, a valued customer, you are fooling yourself to believe that. Business is business and they aren't in the business to lose money no matter what the nice lady behind the counter says. I've been working these cases for 18 years now, not my first rodeo, Ha!
Old 09-17-2015, 11:45 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by invertmast
Craig,
the problem with using paypal for pickup items, is the seller has no proof of shipping via tracking information. So if they are dishonesf, they will agree to pay full price and the 3% paypal fee, come pickup the item and then in a few weeks claim they never received it. Since you have no hard evidence of shipment (tracking information) paypal will side with the buyer and refund their money.

The Only way i take paypal during a local pickup deal is if they send it via the "friends/family/gift" option as there is no buyer protection with this, once the money is sent, its a done deal.
Good info.......thanks!
Old 09-17-2015, 12:14 PM
9ballvalk
My Feedback: (13)

They pick the item up in person, then shortly afterwards they claim the item was not shipped and not received...they get their money back and PayPal or eBay go after you for their refund. The bad guy gets his money back and you lose your item and the money.

how is that for a scam?
Old 09-17-2015, 02:41 PM
Andy_S

We got a message much like this one and didn't recognize it as such until things just didn't add up when we started asking questions. If I recall, the biggest red flag was the clown was simply asking for a lot of personal information up front.
I'm not a scam expert, but one simple method I always use is to copy/paste phrases from an even slightly suspicious email into Google.

Search Google for the following sentence: I really appreciate your response to my email. I want you to consider it sold, pls do withdraw the advert from site to avoid disturbance
Old 09-17-2015, 03:58 PM
melvin
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for all the good information on this subject!
Mel
Old 09-17-2015, 06:15 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI all, I received this notice from RCU.

rcpete347,

You recently received a message from jer564 regarding one of the items you have for sale in our market:

Item 1042815 - FEJ's T-33

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS PERSON. THIS PERSON IS A SCAMMER AND WE HAVE SUSPENDED HIS/HER MEMBERSHIP.

We will hide the message from your ad.

jer564's email is [email protected]

RCU Market Support