Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Scale Jet Composites Folland Gnat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Scale Jet Composites Folland Gnat

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 05:44 AM
chunky42monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any news on the website?
Old 01-24-2016, 04:20 PM
j.c.a.
My Feedback: (2)

subscribed
Old 01-30-2016, 08:10 AM
roydefiant

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

any updates on this kit?
Old 03-26-2016, 03:05 AM
archie2

Hi guys sorry for delay in reposting been a lot happening in the background to get to get the gnat
finalised for production we now have completed the first stage in flight testing and are very happy with the gnats flight performance we have no major pitch problems with full flap only a small trim interaction when the gear are fully extended due to the big doors that are attached to all three uc legs but nothing agressive we will now start production of the models for the completed pre orders flight testing will carry on untill were totally haply with settings ready to pass on to our. Clients this link will take you to the test fight many thanks scale composites
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtKzstMUjLg&sns=em

Last edited by archie2; 03-26-2016 at 03:10 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:03 PM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Scale perfection. Filmed at Bruntingthorpe this weekend. Flown by Dave Wilshere. When viewing select highest available resolution for best viewing experience

Last edited by DominicM; 04-23-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:30 PM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Archie and team, outstanding and really amazing work, wish I had more time to hook up and enjoy the hobby but maybe this year I can get out more

Congrats on the flight and wish you a great year - see you at JP for sure if not before.

marcs
Old 04-24-2017, 12:29 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

The project is an amazing one for sure, there have been many delays in production and testing, but happily the project is again moving forward at speed. The out sourced parts are now being manufactured in house, so time frames can be controlled. Opportunities to do the test flying schedule have been difficult for the original team, so it's been passed to me to start flying the model and continue the good work started by John (luckly chap or what :-))
My two flights on Friday have provided enough data to change a few things, it was also found after the flights there was a 'quirk' in the radio set-up where changing through the rates only adjusted one surface! So that has been fixed now, the original elevator servos are going to be changed to JR 8911's, as the original choice has a lot of free play after only 7 flights.
This model is very heavy, it was more to test the moulds etc and each wing is very heavy. The kits coming off the production line now are over 2lb per wing lighter.
The scale gear and doors do produce a pitch change, but its very gentle and full activation of the gyro will sort that out too.

We hope to fly it again in the next couple of weeks after these changes are made.

DW
Old 04-24-2017, 12:50 AM
Dave Wilshere

This is another video done of one of the flights.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=F160BGF0E-Q
Old 04-24-2017, 02:07 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks fantastic in the air! What a great subject, excellent flying Dave, it looks your right comfortable flying the model.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:51 AM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts
Default The Gnat.

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
The project is an amazing one for sure, there have been many delays in production and testing, but happily the project is again moving forward at speed. The out sourced parts are now being manufactured in house, so time frames can be controlled. Opportunities to do the test flying schedule have been difficult for the original team, so it's been passed to me to start flying the model and continue the good work started by John (luckly chap or what :-))
My two flights on Friday have provided enough data to change a few things, it was also found after the flights there was a 'quirk' in the radio set-up where changing through the rates only adjusted one surface! So that has been fixed now, the original elevator servos are going to be changed to JR 8911's, as the original choice has a lot of free play after only 7 flights.
This model is very heavy, it was more to test the moulds etc and each wing is very heavy. The kits coming off the production line now are over 2lb per wing lighter.
The scale gear and doors do produce a pitch change, but its very gentle and full activation of the gyro will sort that out too.

We hope to fly it again in the next couple of weeks after these changes are made.

DW
I was hugely impressed by the Gnat, truly superb, and at that weight it looked right in the air, like the real Gnat a true " pocket rocket" and with the split fuselage makes it really manageable unlike my SkyGate Hawk. It will fit in my car ............!

Its a long time since I flew the real Gnat, but the trim change with gear actuation was overcome with the datum shift system whereby the stab centre was automatically adjusted. Should be easy with a modern radio.

A wonderful model, well done Archie and team!

David.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:43 PM
Dave Wilshere

After changing the elevator servos to JR 8911's these are the first three flights of four flown last weekend. The first take off was with the gyro completely off, since we had changed the servos, this was then activated at a low percentage part the way through the flight. While we found the perfect control balance we did not want the gyro masking anything.
Adjustments to the control movements were made during the subsequent flights and we now feel ready to set the gyro up properly, which will complete the setting up process.
The last of four flights last weekend The guys asked for stall tests, clean, flap and fully dirty-flap and gear (with the big angled doors) and even at the heavy prototype weight, the stall was amazingly benign, just a mush.
The first production kit is in paint now, and the second and third following close behind. This is not a mass produced kit, so the level of detail the guys are putting into the package is amazing.

DW
Old 05-26-2017, 05:06 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That's gorgeous! I could get close to one of those for sure!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Awesome flight Dave! You look right comfortable holding that particular Tranny!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:13 AM
Dave Wilshere

I sanitise after every flight ;-)
The process of setting up a model from zip is a long one...especially when you can't really drive the radio program!
The initial work done by the team overcame some of the quirks brought on by the FS undercarriage design and now we have a good balance point and control deflections the project is going forwards

Dave
Old 05-27-2017, 08:39 AM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Great !!!
Looking better and better in every flight.
Congratulations ... team work at it's best !!

Jack
Old 03-25-2019, 04:18 AM
Tuggs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

Does anyone know if the GNAT will be available for purchase anytime soon?

Thanks

t
Old 03-25-2019, 05:36 AM
Dave Wilshere

There has been a change in the idea. The first model was delivered last year and two more are being finished now. The company found it is too much work to offer a ARTF Scale model like this, so after all the orders are completed they will offer the Gnat as a kit.
Dont expect that until later this year.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:21 AM
Tuggs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well at least good news. thanks Dave.

I didnt know they planned to sell it as ARTF. Kit makes more sense actually I believe
Old 03-25-2019, 07:31 AM
Dave Wilshere

The original plan was you drop your radio and turbine in and fly! It did not work out.
We hope to fly the first production model middle of this year, two of my friends ordered them

Dave
Old 03-28-2019, 06:48 PM
jlovitt
My Feedback: (41)

Default Contact info

I have been through this forum page and searched the Internet for info on this kit but I am coming up empty.

Can anyone tell me how to get in touch with the manufacturer?

looks like a really interesting and different subject. Some cool color schemes around as well!

Jeff
Old 11-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Scaleman3

Still waiting for a kit version and website on this.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:56 AM
marc s

Don't think you will see this about unfortunately.

marcs
Old 11-27-2019, 09:14 AM
John Tancock

Been in touch with Archie and it looks like we maybe seeing something very soon including a new kit!
Old 11-27-2019, 09:36 AM
marc s

That would be great news.

marcs
Old 10-14-2021, 08:06 AM
Roberto B.

Any news?