Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Are smaller models getting left behind?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Are smaller models getting left behind?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:07 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As is often the case, this thread has gone off in the weeds. I think the important points of this thread are:
1. With the attractive cost of the Kingtech K45 and I would suspect the M35 will be reasonable as well, there is a market for reliable airframes for these size engines.
2. For those here in the US I think there needs to be some efforts made to put a system in place to allow people to get their turbine waiver with this size aircraft.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:01 AM
cmp3cantrj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agree

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
As is often the case, this thread has gone off in the weeds. I think the important points of this thread are:
1. With the attractive cost of the Kingtech K45 and I would suspect the M35 will be reasonable as well, there is a market for reliable airframes for these size engines.
2. For those here in the US I think there needs to be some efforts made to put a system in place to allow people to get their turbine waiver with this size aircraft.
I totally agree with this- and I'd add one more thing.

Most of the smaller scale airframes out there are designed for low(ish) tech EDF. Consequently they have huge intakes which look bad and create a lot of drag. (The only exception to this is the Graupner 1400mm Viperjet.)
Old 09-29-2015, 03:59 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

While I agree it can be hard for some to get the waver based on where they live.

But the topic was smaller modle being left behind. From what I read, like my self I consider small modles are 18 pounds thrust set ups. I never understood the K45 part of the hobby, these little motors cost just a little less than most 18-22 pounders. And with the speed, cost, weight I don't see a need to go smaller. As edf have really step up there game in the last 5 years. Buy that is me

Except the little turbines on the little speed planes (hotliners) and big gliders

Last edited by mikes68charger; 09-29-2015 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:43 AM
Quandry

...snip....

It's not known at this point what the price will be for the M35 when and if it is released. If Jet Munts find a way to hit an aggressive price point with it they will surely kick off a whole new interest in smaller kits. I held the M35 prototype at JP2014 and it appeared to be just beautiful. Would love to put one in my Habu32 but the price will determine the popularity of the excercise. IMO we would see more interest in this area if the Jetcat and Lambert Turbines were more affordable. I think Kingtech's pricing looks attractive for their 45nm unit.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:27 AM
Midas D.

If you look at the Sebart mini avanti with the K45 the price for the whole thing would be around 2500,- (euro's sorry don't know in $$)

But saying this, you would never ever in the whole world get an 100N plane completely ready to fly for this price, not in a million years, it will at least cost 2x that!

So again what i mentioned before, looking at these prices it would get a lot more people in turbine........

It's simply to bad that there aren't more nice 20 to 45N airframes out there, i really think the big brand's are looking wrong at this market....

For example, if Carf would start producing the Spark again, and that for an reasonable price, in combination with the K45, that really would be a fun combo and easy to handle and transport.

But again, just my 2 cents

Last edited by Midas D.; 09-29-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:10 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dubd
The jet hobby has been traditional about status? Seriously? The guys I know who are passionate about jets and have the means for larger airframes could care less about "distinguishing" themselves from you. They do it to continue to push themselves in the hobby and could a rat's ass what someone else thinks.
How big is yours?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:21 AM
Gordon W

Three inches diameter, 8.5 inches long, weighs about 21oz.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:58 AM
Gordon W

Here's the little beauty - 8.5 inches x 3in diameter of sheer delight:

Here's what I'm designing for it, around 65in span:

You can be sure that small jets aren't disappearing from my house and flying field. And the 44 sounds enough like a jet that my clubmates LOVE IT when I fly it regularly at our tiny tree-lined field.

Nor are small models disappearing from the slopes - this is a neat 37in span PSS JP popular in UK:

And here's a 900mm span 90mm edf version:

So small jets will always be kept alive by we scratch builders.

Fun is fun however much you choose to spend. 44-size models use ordinary sport servos and retracts and mix well with regular sport flying prop jobs in the air. What's not to like?

Gordon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	44 Gold.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	2122945   Click image for larger version

Name:	JP.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	2122946   Click image for larger version

Name:	PSS version.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2122947   Click image for larger version

Name:	90mm edf one.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2122948  
Old 09-30-2015, 08:03 AM
Midas D.

How sweet is this...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...-xcalibur.html

Or this.....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ld-thread.html

Or this, although an M35 would make it the real combo you want ...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...abu-32-sx.html

Last edited by Midas D.; 09-30-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:25 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
How big is yours?
At least buy me a drink before asking!
Old 09-30-2015, 11:54 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Baaahhhaaaaa
Old 09-30-2015, 02:10 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

TBM, JTM, Phoenix models make small composite Jets

All these except for the JTMs are in the 700usd for arf range all of them made for EDF but can do turbines as well

TBM
72 inch F-16
85 inch Viper
72 inch Panther
72 inch Cougar
67 inch sport jet

JTM
72 inch viper
67 inch triple X

Skymaster
71 inch F-18
70 inch F-15
82 inch A-10
70 inch F-9F cougar

Phoenix models
72 inch L39

I would LOVE more large scale jets though, light and strongly built that can go either turbine or fan seeing 30lb thrust fans have been out for some time and the 40 and 50s are coming in around a year.

Last edited by erh7771; 09-30-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:55 PM
erh7771

Originally Posted by mikedenilin
...I have been sweet talking to our local non-jet pilots to get into this "addiction" but many of them rather stick with their EDF, 30% prop, or F3A pattern even though they've shown strong interest in jet. Is the price a major factor?

Mike
This is my EDF... one of them

85 inch wing span ultra viper.... It's a jet, perfect for a P70

https://youtu.be/BZRIPRxLZnY There would be more people flying jets if they could fly at 1100 for everything (retracts, fan, servos...etc)

Last edited by erh7771; 09-30-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:13 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

One point no one has mentioned is a lot of club's attitude towards turbines.

I'll just buy a 'small' turbine model to fly at the local club's strip. Fine.

Then the 'fear' of turbine models starts (usually the other members' fear of someone having a cooler model than them!).
The same old arguments get rolled out, the noise, the fire risk, the 'it's not compatible with other models' line. Seen it all
before.

But they can't argue with a high end EDF, after all that's what they fly except theirs comes from Hobby King & costs 70 bucks.

EDF = go. Turbine = no go. Performance & expense can be similar but you cannot argue with ignorance.

IMO that's why small turbine models are not generally popular even though a lot of people could, perhaps, afford them.

John.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:03 PM
erh7771

Yeeeeah, its price...

The no question asked price in the US for a model of any kind and type for most in is 600 usd for everything (meaning install and go) and that's around 60% world wide

1000 tops for everything moves a vendor in the 40% us 25% world wide.

New turbines, even the small ones, are 2 stacks and are affordable to the 10% worldwide... that's just the turbine... not the whole model.

These toys are expensive relative the mean avg incomes of enthusiast...

in regards to EDF

The TBM Viper is 1100 with everything and the 200mph triple xxx is around 2000 with everything including good quality packs now.

There have been 25 - 30lbs EDF fans for years now so there's no more paying the same amount of money for big EDF than turbine (including packs seeing HK carries the quality big ones) just waiting on jets that will allow for big EDFs to fly them.

Going to convert my SM F-18E SH but having a a fan breath throw turbine ducting is a PITA... gotta tear it all out but there's more than enough FSA for a 14s XPS.

Last edited by erh7771; 09-30-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:36 AM
cmp3cantrj

Originally Posted by Boomerang1
One point no one has mentioned is a lot of club's attitude towards turbines.

I'll just buy a 'small' turbine model to fly at the local club's strip. Fine.

Then the 'fear' of turbine models starts (usually the other members' fear of someone having a cooler model than them!).
The same old arguments get rolled out, the noise, the fire risk, the 'it's not compatible with other models' line. Seen it all
before.

But they can't argue with a high end EDF, after all that's what they fly except theirs comes from Hobby King & costs 70 bucks.

EDF = go. Turbine = no go. Performance & expense can be similar but you cannot argue with ignorance.

John.
OK - get two 90mm EDF kits - fit one with high end EDF gear, fit the other with P20/Kolibri. Fit both with airspeed telemetry.

Now weigh and fly both. Point out that the EDF is no slower, no lighter and no noisier (although the sound is nicer).

Now their ignorance has no leg to stand on.

(Unfortunately they won't like you for that!)
Old 10-02-2015, 01:33 PM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

We have similar issues at our local fields. They were very unfriendly to jet guys at first, but after a couple years they become very friendly with us. We initially have some bad jet guys at the field that don't listen or pay attention to safety. Then, we got all the jet guys to behave professionally and courteously. The club management are now very friendly with us and actually enjoy seeing us there when we have little jet together. I think it's got to do with attitudes. It's easy to associate arrogance and price of your toys. Now, they enjoy seeing us at the field because we gradually attracts more spectators and new members to the club. We can't keep everyone happy, but we have kept a good jet field when we practice discipline, respect and safety. Back to the subject, the big jets are impressive on the ground, but somehow big and small jets look about the same size in the air, because we tend to fly the laps proportionally to the size of jets. However, big jets look more realistic and has more perceived value than a smaller one has.

Mike
Old 10-02-2015, 02:06 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Here's the teaser to the small jet im working in developing. The plugs are undergoing final finishing and it'll utilize laser cut interlocking components for the wings and tail. Wing sheeting is done with G10 for s quick and easy build that produces a nearly ready to paint surface. I may end up doing an all composite version later. Sized for 90-110mm edf or MW44-K60 turbines. Landing gear is mounted in the fuse so it can be transported easily, removable outer wings and the complete tail section.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Looking good Thomas!
Old 10-03-2015, 03:07 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon W
Here's the little beauty - 8.5 inches x 3in diameter of sheer delight:

Here's what I'm designing for it, around 65in span:

You can be sure that small jets aren't disappearing from my house and flying field. And the 44 sounds enough like a jet that my clubmates LOVE IT when I fly it regularly at our tiny tree-lined field.

Nor are small models disappearing from the slopes - this is a neat 37in span PSS JP popular in UK:

And here's a 900mm span 90mm edf version:

So small jets will always be kept alive by we scratch builders.

Fun is fun however much you choose to spend. 44-size models use ordinary sport servos and retracts and mix well with regular sport flying prop jobs in the air. What's not to like?

Gordon

Very nice Gordon. Will you do a build thread?
Old 10-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Invertmast, any details ,pics on your lil beauty?
Old 10-03-2015, 09:48 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

This to me pretty sums it up to me.

1/4 scale...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjNe5D8A05A

and about 1/10 scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAyPsRB8IUg

this is why smaller models are getting left behind...it is not a status or any other psicological reason. :-)
Old 10-03-2015, 09:59 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram-bro
Invertmast, any details ,pics on your lil beauty?
Not yet. I'm purposely keeping mostly quiet on this one. Only a few people have seen the CAD renderings and mostly completed plugs.

Hopefully i'll have some info to post on it come the new year once the prototype is flying (the plan is to have a few at FL jets next year).
Old 10-03-2015, 12:05 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Kind of reminds me of a Firebird....I like it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	650C6FF6-F802-4F8C-A5FB-D17EF8EF166C_zpszsje7kud.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	2123336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reza_4%20for%20site.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	2123337  
Old 10-04-2015, 08:54 AM
Gordon W

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Very nice Gordon. Will you do a build thread?
Hi Bob, I intend to once I've got construction underway. I'm aiming for a model with the same benign performance as my Nano, so it'll be about the same size and weight, Hopefully a bit lighter.

Here's my Nano 4 years ago. I'm still impressed by what 10lb thrust will do, and I still enjoy the same style of flying with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMC5zduZykE

Clearly I'll never make an F-104 pilot.

Gordon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.