Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jets down, need advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jets down, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 04:31 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jets down, need advice

Ok guys I'm having some issues here and none of my boys back home in Ohio know what I should do.

I had to switch to diesel fuel once moveing to IL, as kerosene is a lot harder to find.

Well I have only been her for 3 months and after about 30 gallons, my fuel pump to fill my jets was going very slowly. I pulled the filter pickup in my 5gal fuel can and it was covered in a green slime. I saw some green stuff floting on the fuel, so I emptyed all my jets and throw out the fuel. I replaced all my festo filters as they had green specks which is weird because I use UAT's.

So now I have used about 10 gallons since that day, and 3 of my 5 jets are acting crazy, (2 jetcat 1 kingtec )

Today I started my old school p80, flew my Skymaster F86 it started to feel week but I thought it was me. Fill it up and go for 2nd flight and it starts but the rpm is lower than the controller is demands and it shuts off.

Then I got a flight on my Carf Eurosport k140, no problem, go for 2nd flight and I don't even hear the fuel pump come on and I get a failed start...

Same as the Carf, my skymaster f16 with new fuel pump, won't start.

I try priming the fuel pumps into a exstra fuel can and there not flowing until I turn up the voltage then they come alive.

I'm guessing I got miro algee in my systems and there messing up my pumps and filters.

What have you used in your diesal fuel to kill this stuff?

I plan on setting up a small hopper tank and just running what ever it is you recommend to clean the pumps.

I'm so fustrated, the. Add the fact I just got my p120se back from complete service from jetcat and the f15 ot hose to is starving the pump, I can't get max rpm unless I put the pump directly to my main fuel can...

Please help Mike
Old 10-04-2015, 04:50 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It is doing this on fresh diesel from a service station? Or is this stored fuel?
Old 10-04-2015, 04:52 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by mr_matt
It is doing this on fresh diesel from a service station? Or is this stored fuel?
I have only been useing fuel from the truck stop next to the Flying feild. I looked in my jug and didn't see anything, but it seems to be inside my fuel systems
Old 10-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like you got a bad batch of fuel mixed with Bio-diesel. Or you had the fuel sitting around in the heat for a long time. There are additives that can be used to prevent algae. However, now you have to finish cleaning out the mess. Maybe try pumping some kero through the system would help clean it out. But the filters need to be replaced. Also be on the lookout for possibly introducing new problems (e.g. fuel leaks, etc.) as you take things apart and put them back together. Kero is not that hard to find nor that expensive in Ohio. I just came thru there and spotted several Kero pumps. Also, in a tight spot, Ace Hardware and other stores carry K1.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:19 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by Len Todd
Sounds like you got a bad batch of fuel mixed with Bio-diesel. Or you had the fuel sitting around in the heat for a long time. There are additives that can be used to prevent algae. However, now you have to finish cleaning out the mess. Maybe try pumping some kero through the system would help clean it out. But the filters need to be replaced. Also be on the lookout for possibly introducing new problems (e.g. fuel leaks, etc.) as you take things apart and put them back together. Kero is not that hard to find nor that expensive in Ohio. I just came thru there and spotted several Kero pumps. Also, in a tight spot, Ace Hardware and other stores carry K1.
Thanks, yes kero is easy in OH I just moved to Rockisland IL and it's much harder to find.

What cheer have used
Old 10-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It should be easy to find kero where you live. The new low sulpher diesel is driving the fueling industry crazy. Ditch it and find some nice clean kero. Try a rental shop they usually sell it.
Vin...
Old 10-04-2015, 05:33 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

You are going to need to change all your filters in your planes and fueling can.

To prevent this here is how I do it.
I use regular cans to fill up fuel from the gas station. I then use a Mrfunnel on all fuel going into my fueling jug no exceptions. I got microbial growth before from my jet A and learned all this the hard way. I now use desire but still use the Mrfunnel every time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Z45BRX0ZJJQRBH
Old 10-04-2015, 05:48 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by gunradd
You are going to need to change all your filters in your planes and fueling can.

To prevent this here is how I do it.
I use regular cans to fill up fuel from the gas station. I then use a Mrfunnel on all fuel going into my fueling jug no exceptions. I got microbial growth before from my jet A and learned all this the hard way. I now use desire but still use the Mrfunnel every time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Z45BRX0ZJJQRBH
I'll get one

Is there a cemical you used to kill this crap?
Old 10-04-2015, 06:08 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Biobor is what we use in aviation to kill the stuff. It doesnt take much (3-5% i believe)
Old 10-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Stevojet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue and I buy Kero in 55 gallon drums here in California. Started having flame outs.Got some algae from the Kero and managed to transfer it to all my planes and fueler. I use a Mr. Funnel and it still got in. Now when I get a drum of Kero delivered, in goes the Biobor. I also add a quarter ounce more to every 5 gallon can I mix with oil. I never fill an empty 5 gallon can without making absolutely sure it is clean. This system seems to be working now. Biobor was the solution.
steve
Old 10-04-2015, 10:49 PM
dmattmul

Biobor JR is what you want and its one gallon to 10,000 gals fuel. Treats Kero and Diesel and adds lubricity. (Great for turbine props) If it's impossible to get Jet A I guess diesel is ok. I know flyers who get their Jet A direct from airports. There must be one near you? Diesel scares the c*** out of me and I don't need anything more to worry about while flying.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:51 PM
dmattmul

Meant JF, must have been thinking about Dallas.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:23 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello jet flyers!

I'm not a jet guy but I do fly a full scale turbinpe aircraft. I have a tip for those of you that fly jets. Your local airport likely sells jet fuel but they will probably not be too excited to sell you 5 gal or so for your model planes. Usually they sell it by the hundreds of gallons and it's just not worth it to crank the truck up for a few gallons.

BUT!! First thing every morning, and I mean early, when they first open or when the first shift arrives, they are required to sump or drain a sample of fuel from each truck. They usually drain a couple of gallons each and are not allowed to return this sample to the truck. It's usually tossed into a bin for re-cycling. This is the fuel you want to ask for as it is pretty rare for any of this fuel to be contaminated, and since the guy is already draining a small amount, he likely will be happy to sell/give it to you since it can't be sold anyway.

The guy to talk to is the "Line Service Manager". You will have the best luck at smaller airports, those without airline service or very little airline service. Try to pick a day and time when they are not too busy, like mid afternoon and rainy weather. Load up a jet and head out to the airport, ask to speak to the "Line Service Manager" concerning sumping the fuel trucks. Offer to show him your jet while you explain what you want and what it will be used for. I''ll bet that you'll be able to buy the sumped fuel if you are there when the sumping is done, you might even get it for free.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:30 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's what you need to do:

Replace all of your filters (in-line, UAT, fuel can, etc.) and fuel lines.
Flush out your fuel tanks and fuel can with gasoline. Gasoline will kill the algae.
Run gasoline through your fuel pumps. Back flushing will help.
Run some kero through everything to rinse out any residual gasoline.
Buy and use a MR Funnel every time you fill your fuel can
Add Biobor JF everytime you fill your fuel can. You can get it at any marine supply store and some auto parts stores.
Always buy your kero at a place that sells a lot of it. You don't want fuel that's been sitting in their tank since last year.

If some of your engines don't run right with good fresh fuel then the nozzles are probably plugged and you'll have to send the engine in for cleaning and service.

I got some contaminated fuel about 10 years ago. After following the above I've had zero problems since then.

Good luck,

Joe
Old 10-05-2015, 05:32 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Hello jet flyers!

I'm not a jet guy but I do fly a full scale turbinpe aircraft. I have a tip for those of you that fly jets. Your local airport likely sells jet fuel but they will probably not be too excited to sell you 5 gal or so for your model planes. Usually they sell it by the hundreds of gallons and it's just not worth it to crank the truck up for a few gallons.

BUT!! First thing every morning, and I mean early, when they first open or when the first shift arrives, they are required to sump or drain a sample of fuel from each truck. They usually drain a couple of gallons each and are not allowed to return this sample to the truck. It's usually tossed into a bin for re-cycling. This is the fuel you want to ask for as it is pretty rare for any of this fuel to be contaminated, and since the guy is already draining a small amount, he likely will be happy to sell/give it to you since it can't be sold anyway.

The guy to talk to is the "Line Service Manager". You will have the best luck at smaller airports, those without airline service or very little airline service. Try to pick a day and time when they are not too busy, like mid afternoon and rainy weather. Load up a jet and head out to the airport, ask to speak to the "Line Service Manager" concerning sumping the fuel trucks. Offer to show him your jet while you explain what you want and what it will be used for. I''ll bet that you'll be able to buy the sumped fuel if you are there when the sumping is done, you might even get it for free.
Over here we can buy jet fuel at the local sports flying clubs, but not many wants it as it smells so bad compared to diesel.(pure kero is not available here in larger containers) The problem with diesel how ever is that it does not come in one bland as jet fuel does, so different countries have different diesel.

Over here we got diesel with 5% RME (I guess you call it soy oil in US) It's not biodiesel but rather cooking oil added to the fuel. This is perfect as that's all oil we need for turbines. So it's still fossil diesel but with 5% oil added. It won't grow the green goof and it runs perfect even in my super small engines revving almost 250.000rpm.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:51 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Did a Google Search for Kero in Rockisland IL. Check these places.

http://www.superpages.com/yellowpage...T-Rock+Island/
Old 10-05-2015, 07:00 AM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by joeflyer
Here's what you need to do:

Replace all of your filters (in-line, UAT, fuel can, etc.) and fuel lines.
Flush out your fuel tanks and fuel can with gasoline. Gasoline will kill the algae.
Run gasoline through your fuel pumps. Back flushing will help.
Run some kero through everything to rinse out any residual gasoline.
Buy and use a MR Funnel every time you fill your fuel can
Add Biobor JF everytime you fill your fuel can. You can get it at any marine supply store and some auto parts stores.
Always buy your kero at a place that sells a lot of it. You don't want fuel that's been sitting in their tank since last year.

If some of your engines don't run right with good fresh fuel then the nozzles are probably plugged and you'll have to send the engine in for cleaning and service.

I got some contaminated fuel about 10 years ago. After following the above I've had zero problems since then.

Good luck,

Joe
Thanks, that is on my plan for today after work.

Thanks guys. I saw all the post about how great diesal was but no one said anything about useing Biobor JF.

Thanks Guys.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:08 AM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by Greg Wright
Did a Google Search for Kero in Rockisland IL. Check these places.

http://www.superpages.com/yellowpage...T-Rock+Island/
Thanks, been down that road, one didnt answer but none of these peaple sell Kero....

Thanks
Old 10-05-2015, 08:24 AM
freemanm
My Feedback: (1)

There is a product called BioBor that is sold as an anti algae agent. It will kill the algae but it will not remove any of the dead algae.Another
product called Diesel doctor it performs exactly the same as BioBor , It should not be a suprize since it's made by the same company.Get a large automotive filter to run ahead of all those little goodies.
Junkpilot
Old 10-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Okay couple of ideas above and the one about using a biocide in the fuel is pretty important. There are any number of brands but I always look for the ones that are designed for small trucks or cars, they have a measuring section so it's easy. Next thing is that with the diesel emission law, most passenger size vehicles are now fitted with what they refer to as "diesel exhaust fluid" systems which are refilled usually when you get the oil change. Truck stops can be different. LOTS of them now have islands where the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) is premixed into the fuel so the big rig drivers don't have to screw with it.

Now that stuff is urea and water, not sure our little turbines would like that. If you got your diesel at a truck stop, could you have picked up some that had the DEF?
Old 10-05-2015, 10:35 AM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

BIOBOR on AMAZON nice selection

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...wngarden%2C245
Old 10-05-2015, 10:47 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dmattmul
Biobor JR is what you want and its one gallon to 10,000 gals fuel. Treats Kero and Diesel and adds lubricity. (Great for turbine props) If it's impossible to get Jet A I guess diesel is ok. I know flyers who get their Jet A direct from airports. There must be one near you? Diesel scares the c*** out of me and I don't need anything more to worry about while flying.
I'm in the petroleum industry...just google "ultra low sulphur diesel problems" I wouldn't put that fuel in my jet even if I got it for free
Vin...
Old 10-05-2015, 01:38 PM
stevekott

I had an identical problem in my boat when the diesel sits. Clogged all the fuel filters, had to change them all. Biobor was the answer.

Microorganisms living in diesel is pretty common. My neighbor used to make a living out of selling biocides to the offshore oil islands here in CA. You wouldn't thing anything could live in diesel but it surely does.

On boats they do a service called "Fuel Polishing". Basically they just run your fuel through fuel filters to filter out the carcasses of all the microorganisms you killed with the biobor in addition to any other dirt and contaminates.

Last edited by stevekott; 10-05-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:26 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Okay couple of ideas above and the one about using a biocide in the fuel is pretty important. There are any number of brands but I always look for the ones that are designed for small trucks or cars, they have a measuring section so it's easy. Next thing is that with the diesel emission law, most passenger size vehicles are now fitted with what they refer to as "diesel exhaust fluid" systems which are refilled usually when you get the oil change. Truck stops can be different. LOTS of them now have islands where the diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) is premixed into the fuel so the big rig drivers don't have to screw with it.

Now that stuff is urea and water, not sure our little turbines would like that. If you got your diesel at a truck stop, could you have picked up some that had the DEF?
DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) DOES NOT GET ADDED INTO THE FUEL! It is injected into exhaust systems to help lower the exhaust emissions.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:27 PM
josecilurzo

I allways used JetA1 on ours jetcats ( since 2001 ), but, i'm using diesel since last feb/15, without issues, and, starts fast, easy and flawlessly on any temperature, but, in my experience ( 400 lts ), i think 70% diesel to 30% jeta1 plus 4,5% oil mix, the engine have more power, less smoke, fast response, never had any problem on fuel storage ( i have 8 x fuel can 20 lts, stored in clear bottle ), i allways inspect inside the bottle before use. I use 2 fuel filters on field fuel can, and, 1 inside the jet.
never had any problems.

jose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.