Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jets down, need advice

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jets down, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 03:51 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys I got a Mrfunnel, and killem bioboar, strong stuff.

I made up a gallon with 5x time the recommend cleaner, then filled and drained the fuel system in all 3 jets 3 times each, replaced the filters. 2 of them start and run great now, but one, I need a new Uat sock, I ran out of daylight so I'll mess with it tomorrow. I'm just going to add a cap of cleaner per 5 gallon tank for now on as maintenance.

I hope the new sock fixes the F15. Im strugling with this one, as I just got this motor back from jetcat, and cant get it to go to full power unless I hook the fuel pump directly to my main fuel filler jug.

Thanks guys

Last edited by mikes68charger; 10-06-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:17 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jofunk
DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) DOES NOT GET ADDED INTO THE FUEL! It is injected into exhaust systems to help lower the exhaust emissions.
Okay mister know it all. I just drove my diesel pickup and 5th wheel trailer to the Joe Nall and back, 4200 miles all told, and I can tell you that a lot of the truck stops advertised fuel with the DEF already included. I had to avoid those as my Chevy diesel has it's own system.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Avoid it on any light truck diesel engine. Modern diesel engines use common rail pumps and piezio injectors. DEF in the fuel system will kill them. The last F-550 I saw with DEF added to the fuel cost about $14K to fix, we had to replace the entire secondary fuel system. Ford is nice enough to publish a TSB on it. DEF and Diesel do not play nice together.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:45 AM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Zeeb,

The capitol letters were posted as a warning for people not to put DEF in their diesel fuel. What you may have seen at the truck stops you passed by on your trip to Joe Nall were signs that say "DEF at the pump" . That is not DEF in the fuel. When you pull up to a truck pump there is a diesel pump to fill the diesel tank and there is a DEF pump to fill up the DEF tank on a truck. If there is anything added in the diesel you buy it is definitely not DEF. PLease look up the definition of DEF. Again everyone, DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) DOES NOT GET ADDED INTO THE FUEL!

Joe
Old 10-07-2015, 05:58 AM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

One more thing about diesel. If you are going to burn it buy it at a high volume location. A truck stop is a good example. The high volume means they are getting fresh loads of fuel every day. A truck will take 100 to 300 gallons to refill and the fuel usually gets delivered in 7000 gallon loads. It pretty easy to figure out how fast they sell a load. The only draw back is a truck pump will pump 5 gallons very fast…. Fresh fuel and clean filters is a recipe for success. Don't worry about buying fuel at a truck stop with DEF in the fuel. You will never get close enough because it will be surrounded by broken down trucks.