RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Wren Kero Start Conversion?

Old 10-19-2015, 12:04 AM
rjbob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Wren Kero Start Conversion?

I have a Wren Super Sport that I would like to convert to Kero start...any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-19-2015, 12:23 AM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You do need to talk to Wren. Supersports were designed pre kero-start and in some of them the combustion chamber prevents a kero start plug being inserted as they are deeper than glow plugs, so it isn't always just a case of screwing in a kero start plug and changing the ecu.
http://www.wrenpowersystems.com/contactus.html
Old 10-19-2015, 04:08 AM
joeflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

IMO it's not worth it to convert. I believe Wren USA was charging $400-450 for the conversion. You'd have to check with Wren Power Systems to see what they charge. With shipment to the UK expect it to be more.

You'd be better off selling the Supersport and using the money to buy a new or used kero start engine. There are several good 18-19# engines for less than $2000: Jets Munt VT80,Kingtech 80, Wren 80.

Last edited by joeflyer; 10-19-2015 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:29 AM
Birdman6310

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Leave it gas as it is. Never thought it worth converting. If it starts on gas leave it alone. If it ain't broke don't fix it
Old 10-19-2015, 09:15 AM
siclick33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the kero plug fits in the hole (as per HarryC's post) then it is an easy job and you don't need to send it back. I've converted a Wren 5 Mk3 in about 5 minutes. Even if the hole is blocked you can sometimes 'bend' the restriction out of the way - but I would check first!!

As well as the kero plug and valves (if you don't have them) you will also need a kerostart capable ECU. Mine replacement ECU was pre-programmed by Wren so it was just a case of screwing in the kero plug and wiring it all up. As HarryC says, its probably best to get in touch with Wren and they will tell you what is and isn't possible.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:25 AM
Square Nozzle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just had a Gold case air start Wren 44 converted to kero start. Along with the work on the combustion chamber it needed a starter, valves, ECU and the kero plug. The entire conversion plus return shipping cost me $900. A bargain to me since I bought the engine and plane for $500.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:29 PM
RafalePilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did this change last year using the Wren upgrade kit, essentially to have a more recent telemetry compatible ECU.

No problem at all, I just had to clear the plug hole because the gas pipe is in front of it. I did it carefully with a hex key and the engine was ok.

You should contact Wren to give them the production date or serial number to confirm it is ok.

Regards,
Bernard
Old 10-19-2015, 01:26 PM
Gordon W

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Even in the relatively mild UK winter I used to have to carry my gas canister inside my jacket to keep it warm enough to generate the gas to start my Wren 44s. After I upgraded all three of my 44s to kero start, I've never had a problem starting them in cold conditions. I guess your winters are colder than ours, and kero start should make things easier for you during the colder seasons.

Gordon
Old 10-19-2015, 02:44 PM
rjbob

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks to all for the suggestions...I now have options.
Bob
Old 10-19-2015, 09:33 PM
Boomerang1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Strange timing of your question, just a couple of weeks ago some jet flyers in
my club were saying how field-fixable the gas
start engines are compared to the 'send it back to the factory' kero start engines
they are using now.

If it was mine, & everything works fine, I'd just leave it gas start, I'm happy with
my SS on gas.

John.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:50 AM
Old NEET

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Wren kero start conversion is easy

I'm a relatively newbie for turbine engine (3 months since I started) but overhauled MW54 several times already. Currently I have two MW54s and one is 54H with 2nd stage reduction gear unit. The kero start conversion is super easy. There are some parts you got to pay attention to them but here is an example.
I am talking about technical difficulty though. Cost issues are depend how you going to get those peripherals such as kero start ready FADEC, solenoid valve and kero burner.

Last edited by Old NEET; 06-29-2017 at 06:18 AM.

Search this Thread