Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Can a damaged canopy be restored

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Can a damaged canopy be restored

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 01:13 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a damaged canopy be restored

I did a really dumb thing today and now I need some really smart help. I rubbed most of the outer surface of my trusty old BVM F-86 with a paper towel that was wet with CA debonder. The debonder attacked and badly fogged the outside of about 70% of the canopy. Other than installing a new canopy does anybody know of a way to restore my canopy to new or near new condition ? Thanks
Old 10-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Jetpilot24
My Feedback: (21)

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Something I did with a canopy of mine was to wet sand the entire thing down with sand paper. Start with 600 grit and keep going with a finer sand paper each time. do this until you get to a 2000 grit sand paper. After this use a GREY scotch brite pad, I believe it is a medium grit pad. Then spray the entire canopy with a urethane clear coat. I use automotive clear that has to mixed and sprayed out of a paint gun. Be sure to mask off the inside of the canopy if it is still OK.

Hope this helps.

Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80 and K-140 Owner
Old 10-27-2015, 03:55 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Have you tried a clear plastic polish? I have some stuff by 3M you use to polish up aircraft windows that are clear plastics
Old 10-27-2015, 04:24 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

A micro-mesh kit is a possibility as well.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:55 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetpilot24
Something I did with a canopy of mine was to wet sand the entire thing down with sand paper. Start with 600 grit and keep going with a finer sand paper each time. do this until you get to a 2000 grit sand paper. After this use a GREY scotch brite pad, I believe it is a medium grit pad. Then spray the entire canopy with a urethane clear coat. I use automotive clear that has to mixed and sprayed out of a paint gun. Be sure to mask off the inside of the canopy if it is still OK.

Hope this helps.

Joe Lewis
Kingtech
K-80 and K-140 Owner
Do this skip the scotchbright, final step, wipe down with toothpaste, it acts as a fine polish compound, then wax with good wax or clear coat,

I was testing my f16 with no wings, turned to fast on the concrete and scuffed the canopy bad, couldn't even see thro it. Did above and it's barely noticable
Old 10-28-2015, 11:29 AM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Mike, I did as you suggested more or less and itlooks pretty darn good. Better than it did before I got the debonder on it infact. thanks
Old 10-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Jonboy2
My Feedback: (62)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turnnburn,
Awhile ago I was working on a JL F22 and some how managed to smear CA right down the middle of the canopy. I read somewhere that car Polish might work to remove the CA. Well I had some Meguiar's cleaner/wax on hand and gave it a try. It comes in a maroon plastic bottle. I put a dab of the cleaner on a soft rag and polished it out by hand. Well after about three or four applications, the CA was completely gone. Canopy looks brand new again.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:31 AM
Jet20
My Feedback: (2)

I've used Meguiar's liquid car wax to restore canopies and it works excellent (http://amzn.to/1NcR3fN). What I've done is to sand the affected area down with some 600 sand paper which obviously frosts the canopy (you can bump up grit if you want). From there, once the area is cleaned up and smoothed out as desired, a couple coats of that wax cleans the canopy beautifully and removes the haze from the sanded areas. I flipped my mirage over a few years back and was able to clean up the scratches in the canopy this way.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:34 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com//webst...s/itemMedia.do

If you have deep scratches, you might need to do the 600 grit sanding as well but as others mentioned, the Plastx is a great product.

PaulD
Old 10-30-2015, 02:32 AM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

I was cleaning the wife's car with the turtle wax headlight restoration kit. Had some leftover and used it on a scratched canopy, it worked great.
It comes with several grades of very fine grit abrasive sheets, and plastic polish.

https://www.turtlewax.com/shop/produ...storer-10-5-oz-