Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Retro Jet Turbine stopping

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Retro Jet Turbine stopping

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Warwick Laken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retro Jet Turbine stopping

Hello, I am looking for some help, if anyone has any ideas. I have a Retrojet 75 with a p70. With the wing off the turbine runs perfectly. When I put the wing on the turbine will run for about a minute and run down and stop. Having checked all the normal things I am left with the thought that the mesh I put over the intakes to act as a FOD guard is restricting the air. The mesh is quite fine. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (2).JPG
Views:	561
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	2128855  
Old 11-03-2015, 08:40 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It shouldn't just "run down and stop" with a restriction in air unless it's completely sealed off which is not possible from the pic you are showing. The more likely cause sounds like your are "pinching" a fuel line when you put the wing on.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:59 AM
tothemax

Pop a screen out and try again
Old 11-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Need more pixs! Ideally of the wing seat looking down

Dave
Old 11-04-2015, 01:01 AM
duthie

Could be pinching the fuel tank vent line when the wing is put on.

Duthie
Old 11-04-2015, 03:59 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default slow throttle in flight

Strange

Last edited by RAPPTOR; 11-08-2015 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:29 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

No idea on Jets Munt...but love the scheme!
Old 11-04-2015, 07:52 AM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by RAPPTOR
STRANGE !!
I have a problem .. throttle fast on the ground
when flying , super slow. !! VT 80
FOR SURE NO FUEL SUPPLY OR VENT PROBLEMS.
I do have fod screen .
The instructions that came with my BVM UAT say:

"It is best to orient the UAT with the cap facing forward, brass nipples up, and the front end elevated about 20 degrees or more". (see attached out-of-focus photo) Your UAT appears to be mounted horizontally and elevated 0 degrees.

Also, you've got those black nylon ties securing your fuel line onto the UAT. I did that on the first install of the fuel system in my Reaction. Went to fly it with a CD witness to get my waiver and was told to remove the black ties and use safety wire instead. Apparently there can be gaps that air can seep through if you use the nylon ties. So .... not wanting to argue with the CD .... I removed all the black nylon ties and used safety wire instead. And now it runs great. But it ran great with the nylon ties too - whatever. But I'm a jet newbie so I will listen to those with more experience than me.

Name:	DSCF0001.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	2129019  

Last edited by oliveDrab; 11-04-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:23 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oliveDrab

"It is best to orient the UAT with the cap facing forward, brass nipples up, and the front end elevated about 20 degrees or more". (see attached out-of-focus photo) Your UAT appears to be mounted horizontally and elevated 0 degrees.

Also, you've got those black nylon ties securing your fuel line onto the UAT. I did that on the first install of the fuel system in my Reaction. Went to fly it with a CD witness to get my waiver and was told to remove the black ties and use safety wire instead. Apparently there can be gaps that air can seep through if you use the nylon ties. So .... not wanting to argue with the CD .... I removed all the black nylon ties and used safety wire instead. And now it runs great. But it ran great with the nylon ties too - whatever. But I'm a jet newbie so I will listen to those with more experience than me.

Those don't look like zip-ties, but the "squeeze-type" clamps made for the job.

We also have not heard back from the OP.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:43 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raptor. I need to be blunt.. Get rid of everything you have installed between the trap and the pump.. the pump has a 6mm nipple on it. Gaspar gives us a suction filter and you can put it between the trap and filter. get rid of the cutoff and the tygon.. I think you are pulling the tygon flat.

For the cutoff valve, just put a 4mm or jet cat valve on the output line to the motor for AMA legality. Not on the input line.. I lost a jet that way.

Next look at your vent lines.. Its possible you are suctioning the air out of the tanks.. very likely.. place the vent ever so slightly into the wind or if its straight down, just use a brass tubing to clear the aircraft and cut it at 45 degrees into the relative wind.

Lastly, mount the air trap at an angle with the nipples on top

If you are using an air trap and a felt clunk, lose the felt clunk, or at least drill it out

If suction or pressure drops in the tank system, the pump cannot keep up. That can cause slow response.

Finally, go through the fuel system and make sure that all the barbs and connectors have large openings and that there isn't some slag or brass casting that is blocking any opening.. seen it many times.. good luck.. i fought this problem on my rookie, and it was the felt clunk and the fuel connector had brass overcasting..

on my first élan, it quit due to suction on a 6mm festo exactly like you have yours.. it later had a vent problem, so someone showed me the trick of the brass vent with 45 deg into the wind..
Old 11-05-2015, 03:22 AM
RAPPTOR

THANK YOU VERY MUCH..
i was thinking not enough air to engine from intakes.
when i use cooling blower into intakes ,very little air goes to engine.
leaks out into fuse around fuel tank. i will make changes.
fuel filter after pump?
I will make changes
I have felt clunk , wavy paper with brass ends

Last edited by RAPPTOR; 11-05-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:24 AM
RAPPTOR

thanks for reply
yes, i now use wire
Old 11-05-2015, 03:29 AM
RAPPTOR

thanks
weathered

Last edited by RAPPTOR; 11-08-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:18 AM
gooseF22

There are a lot of opinions on fuel filter before or after the pump.. Gaspar strongly recommends to use the festo 6mm filter before the fuel pump.. he says a large majority of the pump failures are due to FOD entering the fuel pump. who am I to argue that?

The other camp says the fuel pump puts off small shavings, so filter after the pump. so Make your own decision..

its possible you don't have enough exit area behind the motor and that would cause issues, and its also possible.. let us see your engine install

Ya, when using the air trap, you normally just use a heavy clunk.. very likely thats the issue.. the pump is having to overcome a lot to work..also make sure your vent line is clear and open. let us see that too..

Good luck..
Old 11-05-2015, 07:29 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by oliveDrab

Raptor, read this again, oliveDrab is also correct.. that situation however will usually result in a full flameout if it sucks bubbles. get rid of the clips.. also on your main feed line to the trap from the tank, don't use any couplers reducers or clamps.. One poly 6mm line directly from the tank to the trap with safety wire.. nothing to inhibit the fuel flow. If any restrictions exist, it will pull micro vacuum bubbles and set up for problems or excessive air in the trap, and the fuel pump to heat up.

Back in my rookie, the pump had a hard time pulling fuel, so it was slow to respond and slow to start.. If yours runs good on the ground but not in the air, then zero in on something restricting the ability of the motor to pull air or fuel.. its one of those two issues.

Last edited by gooseF22; 11-05-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:44 AM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I have also had a couple of flameouts on my Retrojet. They also seemed unexplainable to begin with. Or at least, I did not understand them. They all occurred after some minutes of flight and on low effect. I finally decided that they were due to a new paper fuel filter in my filling equipment and after changing filter to one with a nylon mesh and cleaning out the whole fuel system the problem did not reaper. Not this far at least.
Judging from your pictures I don´t think that your problem stems from the fod mesh but what do I know. In my model I have chosen to use a standard fod mesh mounted on the engine and nothing in the inlets. But I don´t think it matters, our small engines don´t use up an awful lot of air anyway.
All that said I do like the Retro. I built it after I totaled my Eurosport and lost my all my self-confidence. It has been very useful as a confidence builder and helped me back to the flight line again. And this winter I am finishing a new Eurosport
If you like you can have a look at my model and its maiden flight at YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdoPg7s15yc
Hope you solve your problem.

Jannica in Sweden
Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 AM
tothemax

Hey Warwick, did you solve the problem?
Old 11-05-2015, 11:11 AM
RAPPTOR

Default Slow

This is clunk im using

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	2129183  
Old 11-05-2015, 12:22 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RAPPTOR
STRANGE !!
I have a problem .. throttle fast on the ground
when flying , super slow. !! VT 80
FOR SURE NO FUEL SUPPLY OR VENT PROBLEMS.
I do have fod screen .
Wow, quite a hijack.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:23 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tothemax
Hey Warwick, did you solve the problem?

I hope he did because he sure got hijacked.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:34 PM
K.O.
My Feedback: (16)

One way to determine if you have restrictions in the fuel line is to check you pump voltage with your GSU. I don't know the max or normal voltage for your engine but I believe most run in the 3.5 to 4.5 volts max.

K.O.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:13 PM
soacyeuopar

Ideally of the wing seat looking down
Old 11-06-2015, 03:16 AM
RAPPTOR

Just looking for good info.. Sorry if you see it as hijacked
Old 11-07-2015, 03:23 AM
RAPPTOR

Wow

Last edited by RAPPTOR; 11-08-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:43 AM
Warwick Laken

Thank you for asking "Tothemax". A lot of thoughts came out from all the inputs. I did not have any pinched lines and ripped out the wire mesh , checking it against a FOD guard the mesh was very fine perhaps too fine.. I stripped everything out before I could get a picture for Dave Wilshere. Everything rebuilt and ready for a test and hopefully a flight. If no good then back to the forum. Thanks everyone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.