Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Running Diesel on Kero Start...Cooking up igniters?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Running Diesel on Kero Start...Cooking up igniters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 06:42 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Diesel on Kero Start...Cooking up igniters?

I have turbines from 2 manufacturers and after running diesel for sometime both of them have recommended I go back to JETA or KERO; These are both German Made turbines. They said the issue they found was igniters getting cooked up and needing cleaning. This was about after 7 hours or run time and I am wondering if this is because during startup Diesel doesn't burn as fast as kero or jeta. I also notice more "flames" with diesel and a bit rougher start, however, once it gets going it runs the same for the most part (albeit acceleration is a bit choppier).

Other than the issues with igniter for the most part both mfgs said internals look normal and they found no difference between this and kero.

I wanted to get some more opinions on people that have been running diesel for a while, how have things been treating you guys.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:14 AM
chrigui

After 30hrs running diesel in jetcat no cooking in combustion chamber and kerostart
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20151123_180421-.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	2132520  

Last edited by chrigui; 11-26-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:24 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Is there a difference between European Diesel and the Diesel we have in the U.S.?
Old 11-26-2015, 12:50 AM
chrigui

I don't know but diesel fuel is very good now ..because it's serve sofisticated engine car injection system and must to be
good for reduce bad emission in the atmosphere

we have lot of turbine that run on diesel without any problem...

OIL 3,5% NOT 5% as usual

Last edited by chrigui; 11-26-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:25 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

No issues with diesel for me; and yes they do smoke more on start & shutdown (the only downside IMO)

I don't know, chrigui may be on to something with the 3.5% vs 5% oil, but I don't want to be guinea pig unless authorized by the engine manufacturer.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:25 AM
B.S.

You need to use less oil when you change to diesel (3-4%)
Old 11-26-2015, 05:37 AM
chrigui

no problem on bearings with diesel... 30hrs on jetcat , no problem on other engines also
we have a good oil..no toxic and no dte similar... it' s new product ...like aeroshell but without toxic components
Old 11-26-2015, 06:21 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chrigui
no problem on bearings with diesel... 30hrs on jetcat , no problem on other engines also
we have a good oil..no toxic and no dte similar... it' s new product ...like aeroshell but without toxic components
Hi Chris
We have ultra low sulfur diesel here in the US do you have the same in Italy??
Vin...
Old 11-26-2015, 06:35 AM
chrigui

hi vincent...i think yes...for last anti smog rules and euro 6 or euro 7 engines
Old 11-26-2015, 08:00 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

I have been runing diesel in jetcat kero start turbines no issues
vinny
Old 11-26-2015, 04:24 PM
josecilurzo

Well, my experience on diesel :
i have 12 jetcat, i allways runs on jeta1, since last january i'm using diesel S10, mixed 4 to 4,5% turbine oil, after around 100 hs run time on ours jetcats ( gas and kerostarts ), they running absolutely ok, verya reliiable, fast response and smooth, but, after many ratio mix ( diesel x jeta1 ), to me the best ratio is 70% diesel to 30% jeta1.
Doesnt have smoke on startup and shutdow.
in my last inspection on jetcat, the engine was in perfect conditions.
I will change the oilt to Dte32 light.

jose
Old 11-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Alkaline
Is there a difference between European Diesel and the Diesel we have in the U.S.?
Most definitely a difference. The Europeans get some really good stuff with much better lubrication properties. More power, better mileage and less maintenance.

The stuff we get here can really cause problems with the Bosch high pressure common rail fuel injection systems used on most trucks. Those systems originally came out working at 22,000 psi. and I think they run higher than that now. The American diesel does not lubricated those parts very well and if you get any water in it, it'll cut the fuel injectors just like a water jet cutter in a machine shop.

On the Jet A; it's gotten quite difficult to get that stuff anymore as the EPA told all the FBO's (Fixed Base Operators) that they could not sell aviation fuel over the counter. It's thought that they wanted to stop people from buying AvGas for snow machines, jet skis' and such. There was no mention of still selling Jet A so most FBO's will not sell it to you.

Kero is a bit expensive if you buy it in the prepackaged 5 gal. containers at Home Depot or such, but if you look around, unless you're in California, you can usually find distributors who will sell it to you in your own containers for about $5.00 a gallon and it doesn't stink as bad as the Jet A.