Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which Radio To Buy?!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: Which Radio Should My Buddy Get?
JR-28x
12.55%
Jets DS-16
28.34%
Futaba-18mz
35.22%
Multiplex
2.83%
Other
21.05%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Which Radio To Buy?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 04:22 AM
bluescoobydoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

never been bothered with using telemetry as you should not really need to know that your batteries, radio, fuel system, turbine are doing as they should be checked and charged as part of your pre take off, if your model cannot stay in the air for 10 mins without going wrong then you need to go away and try again as you are liable for it if something was to go wrong.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:48 AM
rjpmodel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe you mean Jeti DS-16. You should also include the DC16 with the DS16 ; same radio but DC-16 is the tray version. Could just say Jeti

Last edited by rjpmodel; 12-13-2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:38 AM
Jeti USA

Just for your information, Jeti is now full 24 channel radios system with extra 8 remote wireless commands (remote reset fuel flow sensor telemetry...)

Zb/Jeti USA

http://file.espritmodel.com/newsletter/2015123/

DC/DS-16: 24-Channels Multimode
The DC-16 and DS-16 now support up to 24 fully proportional and programmable channels. This expansion allows you to conveniently install multiple receivers or Central Boxes into a model without additional programming. By default, this feature is turned off. The transmitter enables it automatically as soon as any servo is assigned to any 17-24 channel (see the menu Model -> Servo Assignment). You can see the 24-Channel Multimode status in Advanced Properties -> Wireless Modes/Trainer.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:27 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dubd
If I were to buy a Futaba radio today, it would be the 18SV at $1300. That wasn't an option when I bought the 18MZ years ago.
Possibly +1, but would have to check it out.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:09 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Some great posts here from very respected modelers. I personally own and use a JR12, Jeti 16 DS, Futaba 18mz, DX 18G2. Don't ask me why...long story...lol
I fly helis, jets and gliders.
If I had to own one all around radio it would now be the Jeti due to pricing, versatility, quality, programmability and telemetry. To the guy that says meh.. to telemetry then you need to fly
more to appreciate the info on hand ( ie EDF battery consumption in flight ). One warning from the tx can save you a $100 battery.
Anyway....do the research but better yet spend an hour or two with guys that actually have the tx you are considering.
One other thing...if you plan on flying some of the fun PNP Horizon stuff then splurge a few bucks and get a Spectrum just for the fun of it.

Cheers
Dean W.
twiddling the rc sticks since '76
Old 12-13-2015, 08:34 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluescoobydoo
never been bothered with using telemetry as you should not really need to know that your batteries, radio, fuel system, turbine are doing as they should be checked and charged as part of your pre take off, if your model cannot stay in the air for 10 mins without going wrong then you need to go away and try again as you are liable for it if something was to go wrong.
Yep, don't need instruments in a full size aircraft either cause you should check it all on the ground and make sure it works first. Something will NEVER go wrong after it's left the ground. AND the RF link is always perfect so, you don't need to know if it's degrading.

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 12-13-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

lol....^^^^^^ great comment...
Clearly the guy doesn't fly much full size either.....:^)

d.w.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Pantherman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as a point of clarification, support and service for Weatronics in the USA is not an issue and has been handled by Ultimate Jets out of Houston for a couple of years now. We are stocking both the radios and optional components like switches and knob options for the radio as well as the receivers and supporting modular systems utilizing the DV4 module. We can be found at www.ultimate-jets.net.

Woody
Old 12-13-2015, 11:17 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bluescoobydoo
sigh...Why do some arrogantly insist that if they don't perceive a need for something then no one else should either?

Certainly, warnings for fuel levels, voltages, flameouts etc have proven useful safety enhancements for some, and all of the pre takeoff checks in the world don't prevent some failures in the air.

Component failures aside, remember that not everyone flies turbine only.

Good telemetry is a game changer for electrics, as power consumption can vary widely from flight to flight and reliance upon timers exclusively leaves a lot to be desired. Some higher performance electrics can push temperature boundaries for the motor/ECU, and temperature data comes in handy there. Especially in warmer climates. Maybe not in the UK...but then again, one shouldn't presume to dictate what is and isn't useful in others' situations.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:06 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just wish the Spektrum guys would actually produce a "high end" radio. I've had the DX18 since it first came out and we own two QQ's. Never had a single glitch but I just wish I could get that 12X feeling again. That case, to me, has never been duplicated. The 18 performs perfectly yet feels like one of the radios you find in an RTF bundle. Maybe they're working on one in their top secret facility!
Old 12-13-2015, 02:19 PM
BoomerSooner
My Feedback: (80)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
I just wish the Spektrum guys would actually produce a "high end" radio. I've had the DX18 since it first came out and we own two QQ's. Never had a single glitch but I just wish I could get that 12X feeling again. That case, to me, has never been duplicated. The 18 performs perfectly yet feels like one of the radios you find in an RTF bundle. Maybe they're working on one in their top secret facility!
+1
Old 12-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

As an electric Only flyer, having good telemetry is invaluable. Fly fast or slow it simply does not matter as you know the exact status of your packs and power system, allowing me to make longer flights and rest easy. Jeti telemetry is easy to implement and use. Simply add a sensor power up the system, and the radio populates the available values. Decide what you want to display,monitor, set alarms and logging for it is that simple.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
Not going to happened plain and simple, they are 2 main reasons.
1) Biggest one is the Drone/Multi market, company like HH has the put money where customers are. There are only so many resources somebody can commit.
2) They would have to change the Communication protocol, they DSMX is not completely bidirectional. All receivers would have to be transceivers, they have to send and receive data.
Moment they do it, ALL existing stuff is obsolete.

Also they do not have wired bi-directional communication protocol like Jeti (EX Bus)
That's what you need if you want to communicate and program devices (Receivers, Sensors, Central Power Boxes) also if you want to receive data and execute functions according data inputs (MSpeed for Auto-Speed, MAlti - Automatic Drop for retract...).

Zb
Old 12-13-2015, 07:35 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

We like Jeti
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	octwe_like_jeti.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	2135691  
Old 12-13-2015, 08:50 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by causeitflies
We like Jeti
...and I like your flying site!!!
Old 12-13-2015, 09:36 PM
samo

Futaba 18SZ all the way!
Old 12-14-2015, 04:10 AM
lonestoner

Jr if he can afford it,i have used Futaba for 27 years with zero glitches.
Old 12-14-2015, 04:15 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Taranis 9X. Check it out before you buy anything. Then ask yourself, why every other brand is 3-4x as expensive.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:33 AM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

It depends on what he likes to do. They all work. All have problems. Jeti is nice but you can outsmart yourself with technology. DX18'is good value but doesnt feel like my 12x. Futaba is lagging but hopefully will update- buy one and the new model will show up the next week. JR pissed me off when they dropped backward compatability. And taranis offers the features that come on most 400 transmitters for 199 plus if you are a computer programmer you can write your own code. I have never met a taranis owner who writes his own code but they all brag about it. Buy what your flying buddies use so you can bum spares....
Old 12-14-2015, 07:01 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say: check what you fly, will be flying, and where.
I've never used any of those gadgets nor electronic devises.
I just keep it simple. This is not a job, it's just a hobby. And
I just love Spektrum for being easy to use.

hmarmaizmd717
Old 12-14-2015, 07:04 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Don't fly jets so wouldn't buy an expensive radion.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:46 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
Not going to happened plain and simple, they are 2 main reasons.
1) Biggest one is the Drone/Multi market, company like HH has the put money where customers are. There are only so many resources somebody can commit.
2) They would have to change the Communication protocol, they DSMX is not completely bidirectional. All receivers would have to be transceivers, they have to send and receive data.
Moment they do it, ALL existing stuff is obsolete.

Also they do not have wired bi-directional communication protocol like Jeti (EX Bus)
That's what you need if you want to communicate and program devices (Receivers, Sensors, Central Power Boxes) also if you want to receive data and execute functions according data inputs (MSpeed for Auto-Speed, MAlti - Automatic Drop for retract...).

Zb
HH can still produce a high end radio that feels high end without changing their protocol. The build quality of the 12X is leaps and bounds above the DX18 and obviously both use DSMX.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:54 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 2walla
It depends on what he likes to do. They all work. All have problems. Jeti is nice but you can outsmart yourself with technology. DX18'is good value but doesnt feel like my 12x. Futaba is lagging but hopefully will update- buy one and the new model will show up the next week. JR pissed me off when they dropped backward compatability. And taranis offers the features that come on most 400 transmitters for 199 plus if you are a computer programmer you can write your own code. I have never met a taranis owner who writes his own code but they all brag about it. Buy what your flying buddies use so you can bum spares....
"Jeti is nice but you can outsmart yourself with technology"
Can you explain that, I'm missing something there.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:16 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Wow! Great info!

My buddy needs to read up!

And I can not justify less than 12 channels for any radio now. My jets eat up channels like popcorn.

In my mind, its hard to dismiss the LLLLOOONNNGGG history of JR (ok and Futaba too..... )

And the biggest new comer star (at least it seems) is Jeti. Weatronics was getting a lot of attention a few years ago, but I haven't been seeing them.

I am thankful that my faithful (FM capable still! HA!) 12x-MV still works like a champ, because if I had to choose a new radio now, I would be hard pressed to choose.

And as I can't get JR dsm2 1221 receivers anymore, my day of radio reckoning is on the horizon as well.

Jeti really intrigues me with the tx gyro, the number of channels, a very open programming platform, telemetry and the PRICE!
Old 12-14-2015, 02:29 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by ltc
"Jeti is nice but you can outsmart yourself with technology"
Can you explain that, I'm missing something there.
1) i am not a fan of always updating things. Every software update can screw things up somewhere somehow that is unforseen. Every flight after an upgrade is like a maiden for me.
2). There are a lot of really cool settings you can change and a few guys have ended up with smoking holes due to user error (read all 100 pages of the thread on jeti

i am convinced that they have the best system out there but its like arguing over getting shot in the head with. 45 vs the latest greatest pistol round. End result is the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.