Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Which Radio To Buy?!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: Which Radio Should My Buddy Get?
JR-28x
12.55%
Jets DS-16
28.34%
Futaba-18mz
35.22%
Multiplex
2.83%
Other
21.05%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Which Radio To Buy?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 02:31 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2walla
1) i am not a fan of always updating things. Every software update can screw things up somewhere somehow that is unforseen. Every flight after an upgrade is like a maiden for me.

Well said! I hate software updates!
Old 12-14-2015, 02:37 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
+3

The enemy of good?.......

Better.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:42 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2walla
1) i am not a fan of always updating things. Every software update can screw things up somewhere somehow that is unforseen. Every flight after an upgrade is like a maiden for me.
2). There are a lot of really cool settings you can change and a few guys have ended up with smoking holes due to user error (read all 100 pages of the thread on jeti

i am convinced that they have the best system out there but its like arguing over getting shot in the head with. 45 vs the latest greatest pistol round. End result is the same.
Originally Posted by mr_matt
Jeti just released an update expanding the Tx to 24 channels from 16 plus more cool stuff added. The previous update was Dec 2014 (a year ago). So, you get a brand new Tx every year at no cost???? You guys are really hard to please!!!

The Futaba guys are pleadinig for an update! lol

And Try udating your JR 12xMV Rav, mine still has the original firmware bugs in it because I never wanted to send it back to HH for the fixes.

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 12-14-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:51 PM
ravill

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc

Try udating your 12xMV Rav, mine still has the original firware bugs in it because I never wanted to send it back to HH for the fixes.

Mike
No can do Mike. My 12x MV is still on DSM2, not even DSMX!

If it ain't broke....
Old 12-14-2015, 05:35 PM
Jeti USA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
No can do Mike. My 12x MV is still on DSM2, not even DSMX!

If it ain't broke....
I know same with me, my steam engine car was just fine but those dammmm cops would not let me get on the highway.
Same with my rotary phone, they made me to upgrade to iPhone dammm you Apple.
They gave me sooo many cool features, who need maps, navigation... and all for Free.

Why would I need Telemetry, Voice, Music, Alarms, Wireless programming?
Gimbals with Hall sensors, Power Boxes with assignable channels, telemetry and wireless switch?
Fuel flow, Air pressure, Battery capacity, Airspeed..... sensors?

There is only one problem, once you touch it there is no way back.

Zb/Jeti USA

Last edited by Jeti USA; 12-14-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:59 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
I know same with me, my steam engine car was just fine but those dammmm cops would not let me get on the highway.
Same with my rotary phone, they made me to upgrade to iPhone dammm you Apple.
They gave me sooo many cool features, who need maps, navigation... and all for Free.
LMAO! I may have to get a Jeti just for that zinger!

Last edited by dubd; 12-14-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:35 AM
lonestoner

I have been using Futaba for the past 27 years with zero problems.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:22 AM
ravill

Originally Posted by dubd
LMAO! I may have to get a Jeti just for that zinger!
You like that do you Dantley????!!!!!

Well Mr. JETI, my old stuff works fine. Yeah, when I need new equipment, I do my homework, and then I'll buy what I feel is best for me!

All my impeccable research is why my old 12x-mv is still working!

Old 12-15-2015, 09:46 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3M0TuhQActU
Old 12-15-2015, 10:00 AM
ravill

Angry Hitler! LOL
Old 12-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well I've used/own JR with the Spektrum RF deck, Spektrum and Futaba.

They all have pluses and minuses as noted before, however other than a couple of guys who mentioned how the JR 12X feels in your hands, I agree and have really liked my 12X since I first held it my hands. The DX18-QQ is a really capable radio and the newer 18's have more features, however it just didn't feel right as the case is a bit bigger and the spacing on the switches leaves something to be desired for me as I have short fingers and a bit of arthritis to deal with. I went to the Spektrum since JR had walked away from the deal with Horizon/Spektrum and offered no replacement for my 12X, the DX18 seemed a logical step.

I finally gave up on the DX18 as it just didn't fit. Only other option for me at the time was the Futaba 18MZ. Fit my hands a bunch better and the programming options/capabilities are awesome. So I left all my gassers and one turbine on the 12X, I have a H9 60cc Corsair on the Dx18 and all my pattern stuff as well as all the new models since I got the 18MZ, went on it.

Now here's the kicker. That new Futaba 18SZ is a third the price of an 18MZ, has about 95% of the programming functionality of the18MZ, AND it really fits in my hands. It's a bit smaller than the 18MZ, and lighter than the 12X but otherwise feels pretty much identical with great gimbals, same as the 18MZ.

So why this long story? No one has recommended handling the radios in question to see which one ravill's friend likes handling the best? The reason I mention that is explained above and I will note that while the Jeti has some really neat features, I've never held a radio that I liked less than how the Jeti feels in my hands....
Old 12-15-2015, 10:23 AM
ravill

Originally Posted by Zeeb

So why this long story? No one has recommended handling the radios in question to see which one ravill's friend likes handling the best? The reason I mention that is explained above and I will note that while the Jeti has some really neat features, I've never held a radio that I liked less than how the Jeti feels in my hands....
That's IS an interesting and very relevant point.

I love the way my 10x and 12x feels in my hand. I've yet to see a Jeti radio, so I am curious myself to how that fits.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:01 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick story. Long time JR user, still use my XP9303, 1 plane left on it (feels best in my hands). Same reason I did not go with Futaba, my fingers would cramp while holding transmitter. Tried a few Futaba models and had same result (cramps). Was able to buy Jeti tray radio NIB for a really good deal so I jumped on it. Then test flew it for 6 months (had to convert to a tray flyer and a pincher, wanted to make sure I could transition without issue). I do have a multiplex transmitter that I played with a little bit(Not fully supported here in US so I stopped trying to use it).
No problems so far with Jeti. If it was not for the purchase opportunity I would still be a JR user (except for a newer model, using the newer technology, it was time for me to upgrade).

Just installed newest Jeti update and currently going thru the testing process. So far so good, 24 channel transmitter for what I paid for it...
It was'nt necessary but I recalibrated my gimbals (like ZB suggested).

So, long story short. No matter what, if you can, play with the transmitter to make sure you like the feel of it before you purchase it. I believe all the transmitting technologies are good enough to ensure successful flights without issue, but I sure would have to drop $1200-$3000 on a transmitter that I don't like. Telemetry is not a necessity but its definitely a benefit (would not affect my purchase but I'm glad I have it, use it all the time and will in the future).

Forgot to add that Jeti has some nice features that I will incorporate in my future as well (like turning on plane from transmitter). No, not a necessity but a nice feature to have.

Last edited by wildnloose; 12-15-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:39 AM
ravill

And BTW, I think the JETI's being available in different finishes is GENIUS!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 12:42 PM
ravill

Crappola. Don't look at the 28x thread page 21.

And I voted for it.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:46 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
I understand that Weatronic have the longest RF range. Also their redundancy model (dual Tx, dual Rx) is very easy to implement. Telemetry is available. Software in the BAT 60 is now well developed (although internal weatronic gyro implementation is still pending.
This is the type of computer radio that have tons of features is you are willing to learn how to maximize it (I think Jeti is also in that category of radio).
I'm very satisfied with Weatronic, although their BAT 60 took a very long time to get to the current level of software.I think the downside on this hemisphere is that they is limited information in english, as the company is German. However ultimate jets have done a great job of expanding on the information available.
100 page + user manuals for each type of transmitter and receiver.
A complete programming manual with step by step instructions for each programming action.
A total 700 pages all specifically written for our USA customers.
Hundred and hundred hours of development and manual writing for the USA.
Is that limited information to you?
Old 12-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Jeti USA

Now here's the kicker. That new Futaba 18SZ is a third the price of an 18MZ, has about 95% of the programming functionality of the18MZ, AND it really fits in my hands. It's a bit smaller than the 18MZ, and lighter than the 12X but otherwise feels pretty much identical with great gimbals, same as the 18MZ.

Here my story

You know what I like to hold, good cold one after I am done flying and I can chill knowing that my airplane is fine, my batteries have correct voltage & capacity (Jeti MUI sensor), my retract is not leaking (MBar sensor), my radios has Dual Redundant Link (2x RF 2.4GHz modules) and all systems are fine.

No need to keep running around to charge, test or check.

You need to start seeing radio only as a small part of much larger picture.

Zb/Jeti USA

Old 12-15-2015, 03:58 PM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by wildnloose
Telemetry is not a necessity but its definitely a benefit (would not affect my purchase but I'm glad I have it, use it all the time and will in the future).

Forgot to add that Jeti has some nice features that I will incorporate in my future as well (like turning on plane from transmitter). No, not a necessity but a nice feature to have.
This is where I strongly disagree, telemetry is vital part of the system. We have to stop seeing individual parts of the jets as independent entities. Try simple test, cover your instruments, turn OFF your ABS and Airbags and just go to work, you "know" you have fine working car, your "feelings" are all good. I am very curios how long can you last not knowing anything and betting your life and security on your senses.

Here is prime example, Florida Jets 2015. My friend Peter Goldsmith knew that his P-80 was fine. He even had Power Safe receiver (very primitive). Single flap servo crapped out, nothing serious just got stuck in open position. If he had telemetry with alarms, he would know instantly that there is something wrong and Protection Circuit would just disconnect stalled servo. Because he did not know, 2 minutes later Rx packs are flat and $20,000 jet is gone.

I bet you that he will remember this for the rest of his life.

Zb/Jeti USA

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7174[1].JPG
Views:	85
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2135936  
Old 12-15-2015, 04:22 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I've used/own JR with the Spektrum RF deck, Spektrum and Futaba.

They all have pluses and minuses as noted before, however other than a couple of guys who mentioned how the JR 12X feels in your hands, I agree and have really liked my 12X since I first held it my hands. The DX18-QQ is a really capable radio and the newer 18's have more features, however it just didn't feel right as the case is a bit bigger and the spacing on the switches leaves something to be desired for me as I have short fingers and a bit of arthritis to deal with. I went to the Spektrum since JR had walked away from the deal with Horizon/Spektrum and offered no replacement for my 12X, the DX18 seemed a logical step.

I finally gave up on the DX18 as it just didn't fit. Only other option for me at the time was the Futaba 18MZ. Fit my hands a bunch better and the programming options/capabilities are awesome. So I left all my gassers and one turbine on the 12X, I have a H9 60cc Corsair on the Dx18 and all my pattern stuff as well as all the new models since I got the 18MZ, went on it.

I did back in post #18.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:15 AM
lonestoner

700 page manual for a TX, that is way over engineered.
Why would any proficient pattern or sport flyer who can fly without any assistance from a computer, or mixing, telemetry,etc want to deal with all that.
When you can fly with old school precise precision ,that is the reward in itself,
Futaba all the way,
Old 12-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This is where I strongly disagree, telemetry is vital part of the system. We have to stop seeing individual parts of the jets as independent entities. Try simple test, cover your instruments, turn OFF your ABS and Airbags and just go to work, you "know" you have fine working car, your "feelings" are all good. I am very curios how long can you last not knowing anything and betting your life and security on your senses.

Here is prime example, Florida Jets 2015. My friend Peter Goldsmith knew that his P-80 was fine. He even had Power Safe receiver (very primitive). Single flap servo crapped out, nothing serious just got stuck in open position. If he had telemetry with alarms, he would know instantly that there is something wrong and Protection Circuit would just disconnect stalled servo. Because he did not know, 2 minutes later Rx packs are flat and $20,000 jet is gone.

I bet you that he will remember this for the rest of his life.

Zb/Jeti USA

Jeti, you talked about steam engines etc above, but how come that there is a 1980' era display in your transmitter instead of a modern one (you know, with colors and good readability ?)

I'm sorry guys, but in my view there is not a single tx manufacturer "out there" that takes telemetry to a serious level, and I guess there never will be. I gave up along time ago and rolled my own system instead. Then you can select whatever transmitter suits you best regarding programming etc. Telemetry is SO much more than just "your battery reads 5.9 volts".

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 12-16-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:42 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
Jeti, you talked about steam engines etc above, but how come that there is a 1980' era display in your transmitter instead of a modern one (you know, with colors and good readability ?)

I'm sorry guys, but in my view there is not a single tx manufacturer "out there" that takes telemetry to a serious level, and I guess there never will be. I gave up along time ago and rolled my own system instead. Then you can select whatever transmitter suits you best regarding programming etc. Telemetry is SO much more than just "your battery reads 5.9 volts".
Not sure I understand your point. The screen capture shown looks perfectly readable to me and I honestly don't think the lack of color makes it any less so. I see nothing "80's" about, it's simply a purpose built unit that has a display that is suitable for it's intended purpose as opposed to a recycled cell phone.

Also, how do you equate the screen capture to displaying nothing more than "your battery reads 5.9volts"? While there is very much more the Jeti can display, the info in the screen capture displays, voltage for each receiver battery, max/min current and capacity used for each battery and all is integrated directly into the CB200. What more would you like it to display? There are MANY additional sensors that can be added and the Jeti can use the values from any telemetry device to make decisions to implement functions such as a landing gear fail-safe function based on air pressure telemetry, etc. So I guess I'm just curious how that equates to just "your battery reads 5.9 volts". The information displayed may well be all that 90% of modelers ever want but it's a drop in the bucket of what the system can do. Not trying to be argumentative but what do you consider to be taking telemetry to a "serious level"?

Last edited by wfield0455; 12-16-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:38 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The "screen capture" is not a picture of the actual display ? I think it is just a graphical representation of what the screen is supposed to look (from a design tool etc). The few times I have had a Jeti TX in my hands the display did not look like that at all (what about a decent color screen like we have in all other equipment, it was not me who did the "steam engine" comment on other brands of transmitters, that comment came from Jeti )
What I mean about the lack of telemetry stuff is a long story which I don't have the energy/time to write here.

It is often more a question of the system being able to do something with the telemetry data in the system

Ex. a dual engine plane (A10), one engine quits and the system automatically adds rudder to the correct side and the deflection is dependent on the current airspeed. There are many more cases things could be smarter than "just telling you the battery level" (a good example is a gear failsafe, that one actually does something with the information about low air pressure in the system, it lowers your retracts....
Again, multi engine jets, with 2 or 4 engines, how can you get a warning telling you which engine failed ? Futaba has in their wisdom only enabled 1 ECU in their telemetry (as they consume a LOT of telemetry slots).

The different TX manufactures all have certain things they do best, but there are none of them that are perfect and "does it all".

Just for the record, I have a 18MZ. I have used a Jeti, Weatronic (BAT) and others, and from these the 18MZ is the one I like best regarding ergonomics (and programmability)
PS: from the transmitters I have looked at, the Jeti has the most flexibility in telemetry just to get that straight (but I do NOT like the mechanical aspect of the transmitter and also not the display)!

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 12-16-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
The "screen capture" is not a picture of the actual display ? I think it is just a graphical representation of what the screen is supposed to look (from a design tool etc). The few times I have had a Jeti TX in my hands the display did not look like that at all (what about a decent color screen like we have in all other equipment, it was not me who did the "steam engine" comment on other brands of transmitters, that comment came from Jeti )
What I mean about the lack of telemetry stuff is a long story which I don't have the energy/time to write here.

It is often more a question of the system being able to do something with the telemetry data in the system
Ohh Got it, Something Like we have from May 2014
It's Called Telemetry Control, Firmware 3.00

This feature takes the abilities of the Duplex telemetry system to the next level. Not only can you display telemetry data, record it to your SD card or have it voice announced, now it is possible to control specific model functions using sensors inputs. This way, some tasks that previously required manual adjustment via visual estimation or alarms can now be automated.

Telemetry Controls
This feature increases the opportunities of the Duplex telemetry system one class higher. Not only can you display telemetry data, record it to your SD card or have it voice announced, now it is possible to control specific model functions using sensors. This way some tasks that previously required manual adjustment via visual estimation or alarms can now be automated.

Announcement of Proportional Controls Positions
In this menu, you can set a sound notification or up to four independent controls. You can choose basic beeping the middle control position (Center-Beep mode), but voice announcements of the current position is also available (Voice mode).

Digital Trim Function Control
Digital trims can be used independently as controls of any functions. In the menuFine Tuning » Digital Trim, there it is possible to assign special functions "Trim.Ctrl" or "Trim.RstOn" (Trim » Auto reset enabled) to any digital trim.

Examples for the possible use of the telemetry controls
- If the model speed is less than X m/s, flaps will be raised automatically.
- If the current is larger than X amperes, the motor run timer starts.
- If the motor temperature is higher than 80 °C, the maximum throttle will be limited by the mix.
- If the on-state of the limit switch is detected, the sequencer automatically starts. (eg after opening the landing gear doors, the main gear will be deployed).

Last edited by Jeti USA; 12-16-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:06 AM
ravill

........ know instantly that there is something wrong and Protection Circuit would just disconnect stalled servo.....
Can this be disabled on certain channels, say...the elevator? Or is it something that must be "turned on" by channel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.