Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

And it begins! Registration?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

And it begins! Registration?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 06:40 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary Jefferson
Asking people to voluntarily register their planes will only get law abiding people to do so. The rest of them will continue doing what they are doing.
EXACTLY!!

But, I doubt the FAA is planning on sending inspectors out to hunt down RC flyers. Most likely what this new ruling WILL do is give the FAA firm footing to prosecute a 'scofflaw' if the flying of their unregistered "drone" gathers the attention of the FAA.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:21 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Agree with all the posts...this is a useless rule and only opens the door to further regulation and/or tax'ing of our hobby.

I can only assume if you don't register then you're not in AMA compliance and so can't fly the airplane at an AMA field/sanctioned event??

JS

Originally Posted by Nighthawk117
Well said. These rulings historically have not and will not provide and or alter the course of how we as a society conduct ourselves. Stupid can not be fixed, ever ! Criminals are not licensed, educated law abiding people, hence the title. Again, these rules can be added to the thousands of other useless government decided crap that they think quells those who will listen, nonsense. Someone please enlighten the community here as to how this will ever be effective as a safety net ? I just don't see it, nor will I ever register a model aircraft and send them a single red cent of mine.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:32 PM
M3Baker

I have read the first 25 pages of the document. I get why they are doing this but the manner makes no sense at all. Asking people to voluntarily register their planes will only get law abiding people to do so. The rest of them will continue doing what they are doing. Within the first 25 pages you can easily see that this is all related to drones (as we all know) and has nothing to do with model aircraft that fly within line of sight. One of the examples cited included a drone interfering with fire fighting activities in controlled air space that forced all full scale fire fighting planes to land costing the companies thousands of dollars and delaying fire fighting activities. You can see why the FAA is implementing these rules but it will not resolve anything in my opinion.
It is like making people register to buy guns and in most cases criminal don't register their guns. If they truly want to track the drones it has to be done at the point of purchase. Just my opinion though.
Deeper in the document there is a reference to the collision of a full scale biplane and a large model aircraft.
The regestration is not voluntary. On pages 138 and 139 it states that a civil fine of $27,500 will be imposed for those who do not register, also criminal fine of $250,000 could come into play.
The wording is confusing (image that), but apparently in the "interest of public safety" many forms of enforcement i.e. DOT, FAA, local police, etc can enforce the law.
Registration is required as of Feb. 19, 2016.
Man, this bites!
Old 12-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

That's the new AMA rule I'm looking forward to...
Its the can't beat'em so we're joining'em rule
Old 12-14-2015, 07:42 PM
M3Baker

Originally Posted by jsnipes
Agree with all the posts...this is a useless rule and only opens the door to further regulation and/or tax'ing of our hobby.

I can only assume if you don't register then you're not in AMA compliance and so can't fly the airplane at an AMA field/sanctioned event??

JS
Jamie, I don't think the AMA has any say so on this. The FAA pretty much left them in the dust on this one. It also says in the document that AMA numbers are of no significance to the FAA. A unique FAA regristration number will be required since they (FAA) have no involvement in th AMA database and cannot validate any information.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:55 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent
I was in the Verizon store recently here in Phoenix and they were selling quad copters...come on man!!
Vin...
Hell, Best Buy is selling quads with the Yuneec 500, $1100.00, Target and others as well. Wally World has cheapie Quads $79.00 or so...hey they are here and we might as well get used to it. I personally have a DJI Phantom, and several smaller ones still in their boxes that I fly at my local park...
Old 12-14-2015, 08:03 PM
ChrisPetersen

I just tried to read through the over 55 lb requirements. I now have a splitting head ache. N numbers, non photo copied faa forms, notorized paper work, ?manufacturers serial numbers??, blah blah blah. My treasured Mibo just became a wall decoration. What a joke.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:22 PM
Nighthawk117
My Feedback: (41)

Originally Posted by M3Baker
Jamie, I don't think the AMA has any say so on this. The FAA pretty much left them in the dust on this one. It also says in the document that AMA numbers are of no significance to the FAA. A unique FAA regristration number will be required since they (FAA) have no involvement in th AMA database and cannot validate any information.
The FAA has bitten off more than they can chew, how the hell are they ever going to be able to filter, modify all the incoming information that will flood their agency ? Heck, they couldn't even stop a terrorist pilot that attended flight school here in the US from learning how to fly and crash a commercial airliner into the Twin Towers ?? Pathetic. That's what all this is about, safety and the effort to stop any possible accidents ? Okay rant over

Last edited by Nighthawk117; 12-14-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:26 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
EXACTLY!!

But, I doubt the FAA is planning on sending inspectors out to hunt down RC flyers. Most likely what this new ruling WILL do is give the FAA firm footing to prosecute a 'scofflaw' if the flying of their unregistered "drone" gathers the attention of the FAA.
Hopefully you're right about that! ^^^
Old 12-14-2015, 08:36 PM
M3Baker

Originally Posted by ChrisPetersen
I just tried to read through the over 55 lb requirements. I now have a splitting head ache. N numbers, non photo copied faa forms, notorized paper work, ?manufacturers serial numbers??, blah blah blah. My treasured Mibo just became a wall decoration. What a joke.
[h=3]To Register a New - Unmanned Aircraft (UA):[/h]A new unmanned aircraft is an UA that has not been registered anywhere and its takeoff weight is over 55 lbs.To register the owner must provide the following:
  1. A completed Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1,The notarized statement must also state "To the best of the undersigned's knowledge the information provided above is correct, the described UA is not currently registered in another country, and the undersigned is the aircraft's rightful owner"
  2. A full description of the UA provided by the manufacturer or builder in a Notarized statement is required when the UA model is not produced under a U.S. Type Certificate.[h=4]UA Required Description Items[/h]
    • Full Legal Name of UA Manufacturer or Builder
    • UA Model Designation
    • UA Serial Number
    • Class (Airplane, Airship, Rotorcraft, Gyroplane, Ducted Fan)
    • UA Maximum Takeoff Weight
    • Category (Land, Sea, or Both)
    • Name of Engine Manufacturer
    • Engine Model Designation
    • Engine Serial-Numbers (If none shown, enter 'none')
    • Number of Engines
    • Engine Power Output (Given in HP or Lbs. Thrust)
    • Engine Type (2 or 4 Cycle Reciprocating, Electric,
      Turbo - Fan/Prop/Shaft/Jet)
    The notarized statement must also state "To the best of the undersigned's knowledge the information provided above is correct, the described UA is not currently registered in another country, and the undersigned is the aircraft's rightful owner"
  3. Evidence of Ownership: An Aircraft Bill of Sale, AC Form 8050-2 (PDF), or an equal transfer of ownership document is required for each change in ownership from the UA manufacturer or builder through any intervening owner(s) to the owner making application for registration.
    When a bill of sale or other transfer document is unobtainable for one or more changes of ownership, the applicant may provide for consideration a notarized statement that:
    • describes the subject UA by the builders name, its model designation, and serial number;
    • gives the history and whereabouts of the UA telling how the applicant became its owner and explains why the missing transfer of ownership document is unavailable.
    • identifies undocumented transfers to the extent possible by the date they occurred, the purchaser's name, the name and location (city, state & country) of the person, company, or vendor that sold the UA.
    • describes the other evidence provided with the notarized statement like an invoice, sales receipt or witness statement that proves the transfer of ownership took place. This alternative evidence is especially important when documenting the transfer of ownership to the applicant.
    • certifies, to the best of the applicants knowledge, that the information provided is correct, that the described UA is not currently registered in another country, and that the undersigned is the aircraft's rightful owner.
    Sample statements are available for review
    NOTE: Items 2 and 3 may be combined into one notarized affidavit.
  4. Confirmation the UA is not registered in another country. When a UA is purchased directly from a manufacturer or seller located in another country it is considered an import. This requires a statement from the Civil Aviation Authority of the exporting country confirming that registration for this UA has ended or that the UA was never issued registration in that country.
  5. An N-number to be assigned to the registered aircraft. If a special N-number was reserved in advance by the UA owner for this registration, this number will be assigned if it is entered on the forms in the indicated blanks.
    • A special N-number may be requested when filing the application and other documents for registration. Include a letter that lists several N-number choices. The first listed number verified as available will be assigned to the aircraft. The special number fee is $10.00, payable by check or money order payable to the Federal Aviation Administration.
    • A random N-number will be assigned at no cost if the indicated blanks on the registration forms are left empty, or a random number is requested.
  6. The registration fee of $5.00 per UA. Please pay all fees by check or money order made payable to the Federal Aviation Administration. Multiple fees may be consolidated into a single payment. Registration and N-number fees are waived when the applicant is a Federal, State or local government office, agency or institution.
Send your Registration documents to the FAA, Aircraft Registration Branch.Addresses for regular mail and overnight courier deliveries are available through the Contact the Aircraft Registration Branch menu item.
Once the sUA is registered, apply for the appropriate operational authority.
The following links will direct you to useful information and directions.
Operating for Non-Recreational Purposes
Aircraft Owned by Government Agencies or Offices
Old 12-14-2015, 08:52 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Btw..

according to the FAA, all Fixed wing N numbers must be 12" tall, Roman font and placed in the vertical stab or fuselage.

I see a bunch of Under 55lb models coming out of the shop next spring due to drastic weight savings techniques. Lol
Old 12-14-2015, 10:10 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have read the first 25 pages of the document. I get why they are doing this but the manner makes no sense at all. Asking people to voluntarily register their planes will only get law abiding people to do so. The rest of them will continue doing what they are doing. Within the first 25 pages you can easily see that this is all related to drones (as we all know) and has nothing to do with model aircraft that fly within line of sight. One of the examples cited included a drone interfering with fire fighting activities in controlled air space that forced all full scale fire fighting planes to land costing the companies thousands of dollars and delaying fire fighting activities. You can see why the FAA is implementing these rules but it will not resolve anything in my opinion.
It is like making people register to buy guns and in most cases criminal don't register their guns. If they truly want to track the drones it has to be done at the point of purchase. Just my opinion though.
I've only read this thread to #23, so I apologize if I'm already out of date with this thought. My first fervent hope is that common sense within the modelling citizenship prevails and most/all DO register. My second fervent hope is that the rest of them get their butts handed to them next time they screw up. I'm probably just a mean-spirited old buzzard, but I'm looking forward to the press reaction when that first 14-year old ends up owing $27,500 because of his new Christmas present that he had no idea he had to register or know/follow hundreds (soon to be thousands) of pages of FAA regulations. That's gonna be GOOD!
Old 12-14-2015, 10:26 PM
trex600fbl

One of the guys, from our AMA club, sent out an official looking "penalty" list. If I remember correctly, the penalty for getting caught with no registration is a fine up to $250,000 and up to 3 years in jail!
Old 12-14-2015, 10:32 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have always thought the special rule for model aircraft that the AMA pushed through congress in 2012 did not sit well with the FAA and was also a attempt by the AMA increase membership, I think what we are seeing now
is the fruit of that special rule and I doubt FAA law making will stop where it is today.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:57 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I believe that a fraction of the AMA membership agrees that this is totally ridiculous bureaucratic nonsense! So no need to debate that issue.

What about the point that you need to register online and provide a credit card payment of $5.00 which they will refund?

What is the point of gathering your credit card information if in the end the payment is going to be refunded?

I think you need to ask yourself; “what else are they using that information for”?

So now we have yet another governmental data base with your personal information and your credit card information that needs to be protected from hackers or other agencies!

As it has been already stated, law abiding citizens will obey the law, criminals will not!

What is going to prevent a criminal from applying YOUR registration number to their DRONE!

They can go out and do whatever they want with the DRONE and if something happens, they exit the area and leave behind a DRONE with your number on it!

No difference from the current gun registration laws, and we call see how well that works!
Old 12-15-2015, 05:03 AM
George

Rich,

They are saying that the CC is being used for "verification" purposes.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:06 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you missed something on the top of the page for UAS above 55 lbs, no N # is needed if operated for hobby or recreational use: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...t_registry/UA/

Aircraft Registry

Aircraft Registration: Unmanned Aircraft (UA)

Registration is not required for model aircraft operated solely for hobby or recreational purposes. Guidelines for responsible hobby and recreational operations are available at http://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/.
Registration is required for all unmanned aircraft (UA) operated for non-hobby or non-recreational purposes.

Originally Posted by M3Baker
To Register a New - Unmanned Aircraft (UA):

A new unmanned aircraft is an UA that has not been registered anywhere and its takeoff weight is over 55 lbs.To register the owner must provide the following:
  1. A completed Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1,The notarized statement must also state "To the best of the undersigned's knowledge the information provided above is correct, the described UA is not currently registered in another country, and the undersigned is the aircraft's rightful owner"
  2. A full description of the UA provided by the manufacturer or builder in a Notarized statement is required when the UA model is not produced under a U.S. Type Certificate.UA Required Description Items
    • Full Legal Name of UA Manufacturer or Builder
    • UA Model Designation
    • UA Serial Number
    • Class (Airplane, Airship, Rotorcraft, Gyroplane, Ducted Fan)
    • UA Maximum Takeoff Weight
    • Category (Land, Sea, or Both)
    • Name of Engine Manufacturer
    • Engine Model Designation
    • Engine Serial-Numbers (If none shown, enter 'none')
    • Number of Engines
    • Engine Power Output (Given in HP or Lbs. Thrust)
    • Engine Type (2 or 4 Cycle Reciprocating, Electric,
      Turbo - Fan/Prop/Shaft/Jet)
    The notarized statement must also state "To the best of the undersigned's knowledge the information provided above is correct, the described UA is not currently registered in another country, and the undersigned is the aircraft's rightful owner"
  3. Evidence of Ownership: An Aircraft Bill of Sale, AC Form 8050-2 (PDF), or an equal transfer of ownership document is required for each change in ownership from the UA manufacturer or builder through any intervening owner(s) to the owner making application for registration.
    When a bill of sale or other transfer document is unobtainable for one or more changes of ownership, the applicant may provide for consideration a notarized statement that:
    • describes the subject UA by the builders name, its model designation, and serial number;
    • gives the history and whereabouts of the UA telling how the applicant became its owner and explains why the missing transfer of ownership document is unavailable.
    • identifies undocumented transfers to the extent possible by the date they occurred, the purchaser's name, the name and location (city, state & country) of the person, company, or vendor that sold the UA.
    • describes the other evidence provided with the notarized statement like an invoice, sales receipt or witness statement that proves the transfer of ownership took place. This alternative evidence is especially important when documenting the transfer of ownership to the applicant.
    • certifies, to the best of the applicants knowledge, that the information provided is correct, that the described UA is not currently registered in another country, and that the undersigned is the aircraft's rightful owner.
    Sample statements are available for review
    NOTE: Items 2 and 3 may be combined into one notarized affidavit.
  4. Confirmation the UA is not registered in another country. When a UA is purchased directly from a manufacturer or seller located in another country it is considered an import. This requires a statement from the Civil Aviation Authority of the exporting country confirming that registration for this UA has ended or that the UA was never issued registration in that country.
  5. An N-number to be assigned to the registered aircraft. If a special N-number was reserved in advance by the UA owner for this registration, this number will be assigned if it is entered on the forms in the indicated blanks.
    • A special N-number may be requested when filing the application and other documents for registration. Include a letter that lists several N-number choices. The first listed number verified as available will be assigned to the aircraft. The special number fee is $10.00, payable by check or money order payable to the Federal Aviation Administration.
    • A random N-number will be assigned at no cost if the indicated blanks on the registration forms are left empty, or a random number is requested.
  6. The registration fee of $5.00 per UA. Please pay all fees by check or money order made payable to the Federal Aviation Administration. Multiple fees may be consolidated into a single payment. Registration and N-number fees are waived when the applicant is a Federal, State or local government office, agency or institution.
Send your Registration documents to the FAA, Aircraft Registration Branch.Addresses for regular mail and overnight courier deliveries are available through the Contact the Aircraft Registration Branch menu item.
Once the sUA is registered, apply for the appropriate operational authority.
The following links will direct you to useful information and directions.
Operating for Non-Recreational Purposes
Aircraft Owned by Government Agencies or Offices
Old 12-15-2015, 05:10 AM
George

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
I think you missed something on the top of the page for UAS above 55 lbs, no N # is needed if operated for hobby or recreational use: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...t_registry/UA/

Aircraft Registry

Aircraft Registration: Unmanned Aircraft (UA)

Registration is not required for model aircraft operated solely for hobby or recreational purposes. Guidelines for responsible hobby and recreational operations are available at http://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/.
Registration is required for all unmanned aircraft (UA) operated for non-hobby or non-recreational purposes.

I think that is "old" information and no longer the case.

The end of the page has this..."
Page last modified: August 21, 2015 9:45:12 AM EDT"
Old 12-15-2015, 05:29 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it says NEW item and it's on the FAA web site, so how do you determine if something is old information and should be disregarded?

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...raft_registry/

Aircraft Registry

News and Highlights

We are processing documents received on approximately
November 20, 2015.

Originally Posted by George
I think that is "old" information and no longer the case.

The end of the page has this..."
Page last modified: August 21, 2015 9:45:12 AM EDT"
Old 12-15-2015, 05:35 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

It's been a really, really long time since I graduated from High School, But I came away with the understanding that the Legislature passes laws, and the various agencies enforce them.

When did this change?
Old 12-15-2015, 06:16 AM
Jethead

Many of you are crazy.... This has absolutely nothing to do with public safety, nothing.

It has everything to do with revenue collection and power over the populace.

This ends my seminar on life dependent on an out of control government. I now return you to your regular programming.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:26 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Originally Posted by Lifer
It's been a really, really long time since I graduated from High School, But I came away with the understanding that the Legislature passes laws, and the various agencies enforce them.

When did this change?
Administrative Law ... has it's advantages at times, other times not so much.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:31 AM
x19912

We've taken care of everything
The words you hear the songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes
It's one for all and all for one
We work together common sons
Never need to wonder how or why
Old 12-15-2015, 06:40 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Now this leaves the AMA to enforce the FAA rules by adding it to our membership guidelines.
Vin...
Old 12-15-2015, 06:55 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a BIG difference between PASSING regulations and ENFORCING regulations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.