Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

And it begins! Registration?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

And it begins! Registration?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 06:38 AM
x19912

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I GOT IT, I got it I saw your number on the wall..thought it was supposed to be on your drone...oops i see wall had camera now it's a drone...your government inaction
Old 12-16-2015, 10:26 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Originally Posted by E.N.T.
I would like to know WHY doesn't the AMA takes all this
crap to court?????????? And challenges them with 2012
congress rules???

hmarmaizmd717
The idiotic idea of the AMA welcoming drones to perceive the owners will join AMA is the same as them welcoming remote control lawnmowers and hoping everyone that buys one will join. This move to bring all this attention of Quads into the world of RC and AMA was a big mistake, they needed to segregate the 2 as much as possible. The only outcome of this TOTAL FAIL is, we got a dues increase , thanks for the face slap!!! JUST MY .02
Old 12-16-2015, 10:28 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman6310
Rather than all this debate is it not easier just to register ?

Ok, we'll let them throw you in the oven first.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:03 AM
SushiHunter

Is this really any big deal? Who flies r/c that can't afford $5.00 every three years? From what I've read so far, $5.00 every three years and the same number goes on all the aircraft owned by the same individual. I just wish they would simply do this by adding the additional fee to the annual AMA fee and just use the same AMA number that we already have.

I think the only people who this will really effect are the ones that know from the get go that what they are going to do with the a/c and how they are going to fly it is against basic AMA rules and regulations.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:18 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

AMA is working with the FAA as we speak trying to allow us to use our AMA number for our FAA registration number
Old 12-16-2015, 11:32 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Now; how is the FAA going to inform ALL the people who buy drones
for Christmas present about the registration process??? Will there be
a big note in the store with the new rules? As soon the see this the
sales will sink faster than you think. And of the planned 700,000 drones
to be sold maybe half of them will stay in the shelves.
I think we are going to see a war between dealers and the FAA.

hmarmaizmd717
Old 12-16-2015, 11:56 AM
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)

Beside the law abiding citizens who actually follow the rules and regulations what is really going to happen to all those and I know plenty as well I'm sure that everyone knows plenty that just refuse to get the AMA card and just fly as renegades. Do we really think that the FAA is going to go around and fine every kid 13yrs old to 18 who is flying out in front of their houses as well as all those who are renegades and as we all know will never register for anything.

All I see is this being a huge problem and a lot of lawers being involved. I think this country has enough real issues than to be worrying about every person or kid who wants to fly a RC plane or quad. Simple rule if you fly next to an airport of full scale you get fine at that point.

Look ok at all these laser pointers has the FAA done anything about that. No but if you get caught point at a full scale you can go to jail.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:33 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Dblex
Well, Got my number today!!!!

Rofl
Old 12-16-2015, 12:38 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FAA is not going to go around enforcing this registration thing, why don't people understand that? It's simple, it gives the FAA real teeth to do the renegade in that gets caught. If you fly by the rules, don't interfere with fire fighters and things, then you have nothing to worry about.You get caught breaking the rules, causing an accident of some kind, flying without registration and I guarantee you, the next dude to get caught by the FAA is going to get his ***** handed to him. Also once law enforcement educates themselves they will do a number on the outlaw renegades as well.

As responsible modelers, we need to get a grip and lead by example, unfortunately it has come to this and we need to prosecute these idiots that endanger lives, property and our beloved hobby. I'm going to get FAA # 0000001
Old 12-16-2015, 12:49 PM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
AMA is working with the FAA as we speak trying to allow us to use our AMA number for our FAA registration number
I hope that they can do that. The AMA already has all our information if we are up to current.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:54 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
As responsible modelers, we need to get a grip and lead by example, unfortunately it has come to this and we need to prosecute these idiots that endanger lives, property and our beloved hobby. I'm going to get FAA # 0000001

Nope I'm getting FAA# 0000001.... I'll race you to it my friend!!!

Folks you can look at life as a glass half empty or half full. With the amount of time people are spending belly aching and complaining they could have registered with the FAA and put together an ARF! The world is changing, every yahoo can now go buy a quad and do what ever they want with it.... I'm glad I have a way to separate myself and show that I am a true hobbyist and responsible modeler. The AMA did what they could, it is what it is.. You can stroke out about it or take 5 min to register and enjoy your life.. That's what I'll be doing. Now I'm back to my hobby that I've enjoyed for 20+ years.. and eating my popcorn, I must admit these rants are pretty entertaining..
Old 12-16-2015, 12:58 PM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
The FAA is not going to go around enforcing this registration thing, why don't people understand that? It's simple, it gives the FAA real teeth to do the renegade in that gets caught. If you fly by the rules, don't interfere with fire fighters and things, then you have nothing to worry about.You get caught breaking the rules, causing an accident of some kind, flying without registration and I guarantee you, the next dude to get caught by the FAA is going to get his ***** handed to him. Also once law enforcement educates themselves they will do a number on the outlaw renegades as well.

I Agree. Will be interesting to see who gets the first honors of being made the "example". It will probably be some moron flying a drone at 4,000 + feet and 7 to 10 miles from an international airport with the drone right in the landing pattern. Happens where I am occasionally because the place they do it is at Bedwell.

http://www.menlopark.org/Facilities/...ayfront-Park-6
Old 12-16-2015, 01:06 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't need an FAA registration to show that I fly safe and considerately.

I don't need an AMA membership to show that I fly safe and considerately.

I don't need a Turbine waiver to show that I fly safe and considerately.

I am a life time AMA member so that if some year I forgot to renew, I'd lose my turbine waiver.

I got a turbine waiver because flying with my friends at jet meets, required that.

See what I did there?

All these rules and registrations do not a safe and considerate flyer make.

I am flying my jets and enjoying my hobby regardless of the mess administrators in all walks of life want.

Just because I don't drop to my knees in ready submission, does not an out law of me make, yet.

But that is EXACTLY what is happening. I don't have to like it.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:16 PM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by Shaun Evans
LOL,

I was in the LHS listening to this old timer practically give himself a coronary over this. He was literally 'spitting mad' about it. Went on and on about tyranny and out-of-control government and moving to the hills. While I'm having my 4-40 bolts rung up, I was reflecting on how Christmas was forever ruined for the families 90 miles up the road whose lives were shattered by a terrorist attack. Then it occurred to me how many places in the world there are where San Bernardino is a normal, daily thing. One of my neighbors just moved here from a place where if the wrong guy wins the election, you've got hours to get your family out before they're slaughtered. Is this new FAA thing an example of tyranny or government run amok or just more badly-thought-out, bureaucratic PITA? I guess it's all a matter of perspective...

I don't plan to give much thought to it. I'm gonna just keep doing what I'm doing.

https://youtu.be/brj2UkUPjCI
I need to get myself to the LHS. I need a good laugh.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:47 PM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by Jethead
I so need to hit the lottery so I can buy a couple hundred acre island, make my own country and laws and just get away from all this stupidity....
I'd buy the island alright, but if I won the lottery my island would be exclusively inhabited by hot chicks, not r/c planes.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:53 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

rules changed again?

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...t_registry/UA/
Old 12-16-2015, 02:18 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

old link
Old 12-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Rcflyer22407
My Feedback: (3)

$225 for three year AMA membership......$5 FAA registration for three years. = NO BRAINER. Bye bye AMA. And as
a side note....Where are the manufactures in all this mess. Nary a peep!!
Old 12-16-2015, 03:08 PM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

$225 for three year AMA membership......$5 FAA registration for three years. = NO BRAINER. Bye bye AMA...
I don't think its an "either or" proposition, unless you choose to never fly at an AMA sanctioned field or event?
Old 12-16-2015, 03:11 PM
RBardin

For those concerned with giving the FAA access to your bank account, just open another account, pay, wait for your return then close it.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:51 PM
3 turn spin
My Feedback: (15)

Originally Posted by RBardin
I don't think its an "either or" proposition, unless you choose to never fly at an AMA sanctioned field or event?
and don't mind flying at less than 400 feet.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:52 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Give it to various online retailers overseas and keep it from the FAA? C'mon if they really wanted your info they would just call the NSA
Old 12-16-2015, 04:09 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The registration is laughable. For every person that this supposedly builds a culture of awareness in, it will misguide 10 into believing "I'm registered with the FAA, now I can fly where ever I want". I can see the stickers on the drone boxes now, "Remember future pilot, Don't forget to register with the FAA". What the FAA should have done is mandate all the drone manufacturers to replace the initialization tones with a 3 minute dissertation of the "Know before you fly" rules. Anyone hacking the software to eliminate the 3 minute speech would be subject to a $27,500 fine. The enforcement would be easy, the inspector just walks up and asks the operator to initialize the drone. If it doesn't start playing the 3 minute speech WHAM $27,500 fine. If someone is caught flying breaking the know before you fly rules, WHAM $27,500. It's not like they could please ignorance. With that said I'm not sure that would even work……..A few weeks ago an AMA member comes out to the field. He takes his drone out of the box, puts it on the ground, initializes it, and starts to fly. It's hovering up and down great, rock solid. Then it starts, " I don't have it!, I don't have it!, and it disappears over the tree line. Everyone asks, what happened? So they sit down on the bench staring at the transmitter and coming up with theories as to why the drone was lost. 10 minutes later here comes the drone and it lands in the exact same spot it took off from. At 60 MPH it could have gone a lot of places in ten minutes……… Sometimes you just have to shake your head and wonder.

Last edited by jofunk; 12-16-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:31 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

From the FAA site:

Reading this I think that nothing changed for the guy flying normal rc models in a rc club... or I am wrong?

What Can I Do With My Model Aircraft?

Hobby/Recreational Flying

Having fun means flying safely! Hobby or recreational flying doesn't require FAA approval but you must follow safety guidelines. Any other use requires FAA authorization.
Avoid doing anything hazardous to other airplanes or people and property on the ground.
"Dos"

• Do fly a model aircraft/UAS at the local model aircraft club
  • Do take lessons and learn to fly safely
  • Do contact the airport or control tower when flying within 5 miles of the airport
  • Do fly a model aircraft for personal enjoyment
"Don'ts"

• Don't fly near manned aircraft
  • Don't fly beyond line of sight of the operator
  • Don't fly an aircraft weighing more than 55 lbs unless it's certified by an aeromodeling community-based organization
  • Don't fly contrary to your aeromodeling community-based safety guidelines
  • Don't fly model aircraft for payment or commercial purposes
Model Aircraft Operations Limits

According to the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 as (1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use; (2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization; (3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization; (4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; (5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower…with prior notice of the operation; and (6) the aircraft is flown within visual line sight of the operator.

This info is at :

http://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/model_aircraft_operators/

Last edited by erbroens; 12-16-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:35 PM
RBardin

... C'mon if they really wanted your info they would just call the NSA
Wait, you mean two government agencies actually communicating intelligently with one another? Nah...that could never work...

Last edited by RBardin; 12-16-2015 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.