Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F-18C Purchase from Chief....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F-18C Purchase from Chief....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 11:38 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. It is fast. But ASI indicates comfortable patterns with flaps in the 60 to 70 mph range. Below 55 she will fall out of the sky. I imagine the JL version is capable of flying 10 mph slower.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:06 PM
mackeyjones

Originally Posted by Dblex
Is anyone happy with the F-18??

making think too much now!! lol! Post it now and get back to sport jets!!!

someone needs to chime and and give some good feedback......

It has to make some of you happy to fly her?????
I really like mine, and none of the 18's I have seen fly here in AUs are boring to either watch or fly, my only thought is that if you have the cog to far forward it would possibly fly like a plank, mine flew like a plank on the first flight because the cog was to far forward. Its no sports jet...but you can slow them down with out worrying about it dropping a wing. With a 170 in it plenty of power, I am actually tempted to drop a 160 in it at some stage to drop a little more weight. If I didnt like it I would not have dropped the coin on the large one, which should be even better with its slats.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:11 PM
mackeyjones

The only other thing I would add, is that washout in wings will help slow speed, but also have an affect on high speed.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mackeyjones
I really like mine, and none of the 18's I have seen fly here in AUs are boring to either watch or fly, my only thought is that if you have the cog to far forward it would possibly fly like a plank, mine flew like a plank on the first flight because the cog was to far forward. Its no sports jet...but you can slow them down with out worrying about it dropping a wing. With a 170 in it plenty of power, I am actually tempted to drop a 160 in it at some stage to drop a little more weight. If I didnt like it I would not have dropped the coin on the large one, which should be even better with its slats.
He says COG was at 145mm. I think most are on that setting. My engine is about 1" forward than his...So I will see what mine does. But I think I am going to go forward with Elevons and ailerons. I don't want it to roll like a dog...LOL
Old 04-26-2016, 10:40 PM
mackeyjones

Theres some footage on Utube showing one flying set up that way.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:18 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the routine I want to do with mine (minus the flairs of course), at the moment it is incapable, but I am working on that.

Lots of slow flight and tight maneuvering with the exhibition of brute power, just the way I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph3hw4Us1Y
Old 04-27-2016, 11:00 PM
mackeyjones

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
This is the routine I want to do with mine (minus the flairs of course), at the moment it is incapable, but I am working on that.

Lots of slow flight and tight maneuvering with the exhibition of brute power, just the way I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rph3hw4Us1Y
I really enjoy the Solo DIsplay's the Aussie pilots do, hopefully someone catches the Wings over Illawarra one this weekend.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:17 AM
dionysusbacchus

OK, I decided to try again thinking I was a little to hasty on the judgment, a talk with Dblex and his advice to fly it without tanks got me back at the field. I removed the tanks and pylons and removed 4oz of lead from the nose to balance exactly at 145mm, adjusted my mixes for the flaps and air brake and headed to the field. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the smooth takeoff this time, a quick check of the air brake trim with flaps and it was right on, so I was already feeling much better about the landing. Basically if flies like crap with the fuel tanks on the wings. I flew it around for a few minutes and decided to fly around with the gear down and check the stall with the flaps and air brake. Unfortunately, I found that it has an abrupt stall that I feel is a little early given the speed. I'm not an expert but this must be because of the lack of washout in the wing. You must use throttle all the way to the ground and fly it in. I will continue to make new wings because I am very curious and would like to improve the flight characteristics. I just hope I didn't offend anyone, I was a little stressed and when I get that way sometimes I can throw the baby out with the bathwater, the plane flies OK and it looks cool in the air, I will keep practicing.

Looking at Skymasters newer F-18's, it looks like they fly awesome and the wings are properly twisted, check out the screen capture! I've seen some pretty slow high AOA landings with the newer jets, I'll have to wait for my piggy bank to fill up a bit more!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LargeF-18.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	2159917  
Old 04-29-2016, 06:35 AM
Dblex

if you watch all the videos on that plane, I think you will see that they nailed it.
that thing will fly slow and cobra and do just about anything you want to it.....

twin turbine though... that's just a tad bit out of my pay grade... LoL
Old 04-29-2016, 05:36 PM
mackeyjones

OK, I decided to try again thinking I was a little to hasty on the judgment, a talk with Dblex and his advice to fly it without tanks got me back at the field. I removed the tanks and pylons and removed 4oz of lead from the nose to balance exactly at 145mm, adjusted my mixes for the flaps and air brake and headed to the field. I must say I was pleasantly surprised with the smooth takeoff this time, a quick check of the air brake trim with flaps and it was right on, so I was already feeling much better about the landing. Basically if flies like crap with the fuel tanks on the wings. I flew it around for a few minutes and decided to fly around with the gear down and check the stall with the flaps and air brake. Unfortunately, I found that it has an abrupt stall that I feel is a little early given the speed. I'm not an expert but this must be because of the lack of washout in the wing. You must use throttle all the way to the ground and fly it in. I will continue to make new wings because I am very curious and would like to improve the flight characteristics. I just hope I didn't offend anyone, I was a little stressed and when I get that way sometimes I can throw the baby out with the bathwater, the plane flies OK and it looks cool in the air, I will keep practicing.

Looking at Skymasters newer F-18's, it looks like they fly awesome and the wings are properly twisted, check out the screen capture! I've seen some pretty slow high AOA landings with the newer jets, I'll have to wait for my piggy bank to fill up a bit more!

'm really glad to hear, the only tank mine has is the centreline tank, which I stuck both my smoke pump and tank and I can take off in 3 seconds. The full size has the advantage of pretty much being point and shoot, the computer controls all the flight surfaces and decides what each needs to be set at which allows it to create a lot more lift than what we can with just flaps. I really like the fact that you are trying to fly a pattern the full size does so well, and there is no greater satisfaction than flying a routine that a full size does and knowing you nailed it. Can totally understand you being stressed, its a big investment and if you don't enjoy flying it, a bitter pill to swallow.

I have about 4 months to wait for the big one from SM. Even though I ordered the full ordinance I will only be attaching that for static display. I went for the single turbine for simplicity and cost. When I start the build I 'll post it to my FB page if anyone is interested in it. Although I have gone with a different paint scheme than I originally intended purely because I wanted mine to be original.

Last edited by mackeyjones; 04-29-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:04 PM
Damo260

I think this wing design sucks, Skymaster why on earth would you make a wing without washout? The full scale F-18 has 4 degrees of wingtip washout, the Skymaster wing is flat! I checked it with Robart incidence meters.

I believe the wing stalls before the fuselage, when I would go into a turn with a low power setting the combination of the slow speed and aileron deflection caused the wings to stall, I feel the plane is a poor design, or at least the wings are anyway.

I feel tempted to make my own wings, maybe I'm wrong about all this, especially since others have had such great success, I will continue to fly it and see if I can tame it. One plane this thing can't compete with is the Yellow F-15, that is how a jet should perform.

Have you tried crow braking a mate of mine has it on his big F-18F and I've got it set up on mine FB Jets F-18F I haven't flown yet because I'm having issues with the elevator set up but that's another story

Damo
Old 05-01-2016, 04:16 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I really enjoy the Solo DIsplay's the Aussie pilots do, hopefully someone catches the Wings over Illawarra one this weekend.
I was there for that flight and I have to say it was some of the most impressive RAAF Hornet displays I have ever seen. lot's of alpha, roll rate, and burners!!! The Lomchevac done by the -18 was amazing as well.

Would love to see a classic R/C hornet copy that display!

Thanks

dave
Old 05-01-2016, 12:04 PM
Damo260

Here's a video of my mate F -18F with a Jet Central Rhino but a few months later he put a Jet Central Mammoth in it what a difference it was a complete different jet

Damo

https://youtu.be/APBf3fY_p0E
Old 05-08-2016, 07:16 PM
Dblex

Ok, so lets be clear..C of G starts from where? Red leading edge of wing on fuselage or yellow leading edge on wing. 140-145mm back....

?????????????????????????????

Name:	IMG_4693.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2161661  

Last edited by Dblex; 05-08-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:50 AM
mackeyjones

Ok, so lets be clear..C of G starts from where? Red leading edge of wing on fuselage or yellow leading edge on wing. 140-145mm back....

?????????????????????????????
I measured mine from yellow.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Dblex

My aero works meter shows 20 degrees of throw or 40mm.

Look like enough???!!

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2161948   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2161949  

Last edited by Dblex; 05-10-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:41 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

you mean 20 degrees. yes that'll be enough
Old 05-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Dblex

Originally Posted by dbsonic
you mean 20 degrees. yes that'll be enough
dbsonic

Do you know what the flaps are in degrees? Full flaps?
Old 05-10-2016, 07:20 PM
mackeyjones

dbsonic

Do you know what the flaps are in degrees? Full flaps?
Mine are at 55 degrees full flaps
Old 05-11-2016, 06:46 AM
Dblex

Mine are at 55 degrees full flaps

Too close to the fuselage for me. At 55 degrees i would have to trim the Lower portion of the fuselage!!
Old 05-11-2016, 10:27 PM
mackeyjones

Too close to the fuselage for me. At 55 degrees i would have to trim the Lower portion of the fuselage!!
Say what? Going to check again unless I was totally checking in the dark with the lights off. Sorry 55mm at the trailing edge closest to the wing. 42 degrees.

Last edited by mackeyjones; 05-11-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:35 PM
dionysusbacchus

Dblex, you flown yours yet, been patiently waiting for your thoughts! I'm going to be well into my next little project before you fly this one! 14' long IL-76 with 4 turbines! ha!

Name:	IL-76RC.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	2172876  
Old 07-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Dblex

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Dont laugh! I have not gotten the chance to maiden her! As soon as I finished her I got a new role at work that has had me crazy busy!!

The first weekend I get to myself, I will get a video up. Right now I am sitting on the balcony in Hawaiii visiting my wife who is in the Navy. RIMPAC 2016!! It's nuts here!!!