RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti DS-24

Old 03-13-2018, 10:30 AM
causeitflies

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by ravill View Post
Ok, so I've got all 24 channels, thanks guys, but I'm still having a heck of a time getting my tx accelerometer to announce the timer.

I don't know how make the timer start button (I believe it's button F4) be an "and" condition under the logical switches. When I try to make "so" switch be an "and" condition, the "so" switch is a momentary switch, so I have to keep "so" pressed and then tilt the tx. That is a HUGE hassle.

Anyone have any ideas?
To make the switch on/off instead of momentary, go to advanced properties>sticks/switches setup, scroll down and select "yes" for memory.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:54 PM
Custmachr
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, so I've got all 24 channels, thanks guys, but I'm still having a heck of a time getting my tx accelerometer to announce the timer.

I don't know how make the timer start button (I believe it's button F4) be an "and" condition under the logical switches. When I try to make "so" switch be an "and" condition, the "so" switch is a momentary switch, so I have to keep "so" pressed and then tilt the tx. That is a HUGE hassle.

Anyone have any ideas?
To get the accelerometer to announce time go to Timer/sensors then to voice output, then select your timer on top line and set switch. As example set switch GXR if you want announce by moving transmitter by clockwise rotation.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:48 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I didn’t know you could change the type of switch! I’ll give that a go.

Custmachr, when you set up the timer like that, every time you move the radio around, the timer is getting announced. I only want to know the timer when I have it running. I don’t need it to tell me the timer every time I move the radio around.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:11 AM
Custmachr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I didnít know you could change the type of switch! Iíll give that a go.

Custmachr, when you set up the timer like that, every time you move the radio around, the timer is getting announced. I only want to know the timer when I have it running. I donít need it to tell me the timer every time I move the radio around.
Then set it to a logical switch that is equal to GXR and your timer switch
Old 03-27-2018, 07:46 PM
paulhelis

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My jeti case

Hi this is my new jeti DS-24 case

my new jeti case
Old 03-28-2018, 02:13 AM
cycross

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice case! Where from?
Old 03-29-2018, 05:31 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by LA jetguy View Post
Matt.. Not sure about iGyro.. but in a Cortex Pro both 2.4 receivers plug into the CP and from CP port 5 and 6 into CB400 Rx1 and Rx2 and the backup R900 into ext1 port of CB400. In a CB200 case both 2.4 receivers plug into CP, but only one connection (port 6) into Rx1 of CB200 and the backup R900 into Rx2 of CB200.
David
Is there a picture or a schematic for this setup with the CB 400 and two 2.4 receivers going through the Cortex Pro and one R900 all going to the CB 400?
What happens if both the 2.4 receivers or the Cortex Pro quits or shorts out. Will the R900 still work to recover the jet.

Gary
Old 03-29-2018, 05:46 PM
LA jetguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Viper1GJ View Post
Is there a picture or a schematic for this setup with the CB 400 and two 2.4 receivers going through the Cortex Pro and one R900 all going to the CB 400?
What happens if both the 2.4 receivers or the Cortex Pro quits or shorts out. Will the R900 still work to recover the jet.

Gary
Gary

In a CB400 (updated to 1.09) you can plug a R900 directly into EXT1 port of CB400. So you have two 2.4 receivers into Cortex Pro and from CP ports 5&6 into CB400. If the 2.4 receivers quits your R900 will take over. In that case you will lose the Gyro gain / control but you have R900 as backup and full control of your jet.

R900 is meant for backup till your 2.4's come back.. If you like you can have one 2.4 and R900 into CP and the second 2.4 into EXT1 of CB400. In this case if the 2.4 quits the R900 in CP will provide Gyro gain and control. Finally if CP fails the 2.4 in CB400 (EXT1) will control your jet..

David

Last edited by LA jetguy; 03-29-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:53 PM
Viper1GJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

David,
I figured thats what would happen based on my testing by unplugging both 2.4 receivers. However I was wondering what would happen if the Cortex Pro shorted and fried itself. Will it still pass basic no gyro data to the CB400 or will it just shut off all 2.4 data and switch to the R900.

Gary
Old 03-29-2018, 06:12 PM
LA jetguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

David,
I figured thats what would happen based on my testing by unplugging both 2.4 receivers. However I was wondering what would happen if the Cortex Pro shorted and fried itself. Will it still pass basic no gyro data to the CB400 or will it just shut off all 2.4 data and switch to the R900.

Gary
Depending on how bad the CP situation is... Worst case it will not pass through the 2.4 and the R900 will take over.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:30 PM
ravill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

David,

Gary
What keeps me up at night is, what "if" the cortex still sends out to the CB200/400 information that still "looks" like it's receiving, while in reality, you should be in failsafe.....
Old 03-30-2018, 03:40 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What keeps me up at night is, what "if" the cortex still sends out to the CB200/400 information that still "looks" like it's receiving, while in reality, you should be in failsafe.....
I think it's worse than that. If the Cortex pro completely stops sending Ex Bus to the CB400 but retains power to the 2.4Ghz receivers and they have a valid signal, the 900Mhz won't go active and your servos will only get updated about 10 times per seconds instead of 100. Not sure how much control you would have with that. The 900Mhz link only switches to full rate once both 2.4Ghz receivers are below some Q (10% ?) level as determined by the transmitter. So as long as the transmitter can communicate with the 2.4Ghz receiver, it won't fully activate the 900mhz link, even if nothing is going to the servos connected to the CB400. While, there is no reason for the Cortex Pro to stop talking to the CB400 since it uses a 3rd cable to add power to the cortex pro, even if both ex bus cables between the Cortex Pro and the Cb400 became disconnected, the receivers connected to the Cortex Pro would remain powered and prevent the 900Mhz link from fully activating.

Last edited by wfield0455; 03-30-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:46 PM
F1 Rocket

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually...... it can get much worse than anyone has discussed here. An air bubble, one that was most likely trapped somewhere in the filter broke loose, got sucked up and put the fire out. Just as I had put the the gear up. Full of fuel, low energy and no where to go. Thatís how I lost my first turbine jet on its 8th flight. This was the first crash of a model airplane that I had had in more years than I can remember that was caused by anything other than my own dumb thumbs. Never had a electronic or battery failure of any type. My point is there are other things that are more likely to lead to a loss. Yes, there are many failure scenarios of the various electronic systems we use but this doesnít keep me from sleeping. That darn bubble is another story and itís what puts a lump in my throat every time I push the throttle forward on takeoff
Old 03-30-2018, 07:16 PM
ravill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket View Post
Actually...... it can get much worse than anyone has discussed here. An air bubble, one that was most likely trapped somewhere in the filter broke loose, got sucked up and put the fire out. Just as I had put the the gear up. Full of fuel, low energy and no where to go. Thatís how I lost my first turbine jet on its 8th flight. This was the first crash of a model airplane that I had had in more years than I can remember that was caused by anything other than my own dumb thumbs. Never had a electronic or battery failure of any type. My point is there are other things that are more likely to lead to a loss. Yes, there are many failure scenarios of the various electronic systems we use but this doesnít keep me from sleeping. That darn bubble is another story and itís what puts a lump in my throat every time I push the throttle forward on takeoff
I have an easy fix for those type of air bubbles: I don't use fuel filters and haven't in 10 years.

I'll take some very minor fuel pump wear particles (imperceptible to the naked eye) and take the early bearing changes (which I've never had with any of my turbines) over a bubble killing my airplane.

The reciprocal response, I suppose, is to take out the Cortex!
Old 03-30-2018, 07:35 PM
F1 Rocket

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The reciprocal response, I suppose, is to take out the Cortex!
Whatever gets you the sleep you need to enjoy the hobby
Old 03-31-2018, 05:58 PM
Viper1GJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I gonna make the best decision I can based on lots of input from lots of folks much smarter than me about the subject. So for me I'm gonna use the CortexPro in serial from 2 Rx to the CB 400 with a R900 backup. I'm depending on the R900 in case it all goes down hill on 2.4. I've tested the triple system several different ways and times and it always keeps working on the bench and looks like you would be able to land it no matter which Rx or Tx quits. Its all installed in a 1/5 BVM F-16 and is ready to go except for the Cortex Pro which I will install and test next week. Will let you know how it works.
I flew around for years on a single engine and planned on using the ejection seat for a backup. Never had to use the backup. Didn't loose any sleep either, even in the darn thing.
Gary

Old 03-31-2018, 06:42 PM
jsnipes

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gary,

Awesome setup and even better picture! LOL! That's great!

The only zero risk is not flying ... but we now have so many options these days to build in redundancies and margins for error that we didn't have years ago. The 900 MHz backup is the latest and I think its a great one. Your detailed and meticulous approach will pay off dividends!

Looking forward to seeing your 1/5 F-16 airborne!

JS

I gonna make the best decision I can based on lots of input from lots of folks much smarter than me about the subject. So for me I'm gonna use the CortexPro in serial from 2 Rx to the CB 400 with a R900 backup. I'm depending on the R900 in case it all goes down hill on 2.4. I've tested the triple system several different ways and times and it always keeps working on the bench and looks like you would be able to land it no matter which Rx or Tx quits. Its all installed in a 1/5 BVM F-16 and is ready to go except for the Cortex Pro which I will install and test next week. Will let you know how it works.
I flew around for years on a single engine and planned on using the ejection seat for a backup. Never had to use the backup. Didn't loose any sleep either, even in the darn thing.
Gary
Old 04-01-2018, 05:45 AM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gary, I fly at one of the fields the Jeti struggles a little bit at. One of the things weíve discovered is that running the radio in default (ie single path) has yielded significantly better Q values than dual path. If youíre running a CB400 I think itís fairly easy to run default with a cloned secondary 2.4 for better numbers/link. My guess is itís due to the antenna useage in the radio (4antennas instead of 2).

The other thing weíve found is the dipole antennas do a better job than the monopole/coax ones so weíve gone to Rex12s for our primary rx.

All of this may be irrelevant where you are but on something as nice as a 1/5 I thought Iíd best mention it

Dave
Old 04-01-2018, 07:51 AM
LA jetguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by ozief16 View Post
One of the things weíve discovered is that running the radio in default (ie single path) has yielded significantly better Q values than dual path. If youíre running a CB400 I think itís fairly easy to run default with a cloned secondary 2.4 for better numbers/link. My guess is itís due to the antenna useage in the radio (4antennas instead of 2)
+1 on default mode with 4 TX antennas ... and R900 as backup ...

I fly at the Sepulveda Basin (Apollo XI field) and we call it a jungle .. I have seen much better Qís when a 2.4 receiver is bound in default mode rather than double path.. in the past to have redundancy double path was the best option. Now with R900 , in my opinion one 2.4 receiver is default mode so all four TX antennas are bound to it and then have an R900 as backup is the best option.

The option of having a ďcloneĒ of the 2.4 receiver is still being tested and I will post my findings

David
Old 04-01-2018, 10:31 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by ozief16 View Post
Gary, I fly at one of the fields the Jeti struggles a little bit at. One of the things weíve discovered is that running the radio in default (ie single path) has yielded significantly better Q values than dual path. If youíre running a CB400 I think itís fairly easy to run default with a cloned secondary 2.4 for better numbers/link. My guess is itís due to the antenna useage in the radio (4antennas instead of 2).

The other thing weíve found is the dipole antennas do a better job than the monopole/coax ones so weíve gone to Rex12s for our primary rx.

All of this may be irrelevant where you are but on something as nice as a 1/5 I thought Iíd best mention it

Dave
The only possible issue with that is that if you're using a REX receiver outputting Ex Bus to a central box the PPM data from the clone or secondary is never sent to Ex Bus. Not sure if this works properly with a regular EX receiver or not but the REX receivers definitely don't pass the PPM stream from a dual path or clone receiver to Ex Bus, only servos attached to the primary receiver. The Assist receiver does pass the PPM data to Ex Bus at least for stabilized Ex Bus output. I'm not sure if a regular Ex receiver works properly or not in this regard.
To test for your self, instead of default mode, select dual path with a PPM secondary connected directly to the primary receiver. If you disable the Primary RF section servos connected directly to the primary will continue working (via PPM from the secondary) but a central box (or Cortex Pro) connected via EX Bus will stop working. It would be nice if someone could confirm whether or not this works properly with a regular EX receiver as the primary or not.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:08 PM
ozief16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wfield,

my understanding was that with a cb400 you can go exbus on all three rxs but Iíve never messed with a 400. The OP with the question mentioned he had a 400
Old 04-01-2018, 05:27 PM
Viper1GJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ozie,
Thanks for the info. I really don't understand how to do what you said. What is the default mode? All I know is I did what the Jeti video showed me when I bound the two 2.4 Rx to the CB400. It said to select dual path. I have the standard CB400 kit with 3 R3/RSW one of which is working as a remote switch and the R900. I think they are running in ExBus to the CB400. I was planning to connect the CortexPro between the two 2.4 R3s and the CB400.
Thanks for all the info guys.

Here is the jet.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:49 PM
ozief16

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pretty plane!

if you want to run both rxs through the CP you will have to stay dual path. Default is essentially single path and is in the same menu. The cp canít do a cloned rx through it.

Ive not messed a cb400. My understanding is that you can plug three rxs into it set to ex bus.

Viper, where are you? The R3s are probably fine in most areas. The tough areas (vegas, Mesa az, la) have taken to REx12s for the 2.4s

see the attachment for how to clone should you chose to do so
Old 04-01-2018, 06:05 PM
Viper1GJ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ozie,
Thanks again for the info. We are flying mostly in rural South Carolina. Probably the biggest threat I fly in would be First In Flight in Wilson, NC or Super Jets South in Georgia. I really don't think we have much of an RF threat in most places here but you never know. Im just learning what Q is and maybe it will tell us something. There are 5-6 of us in our SC Jet Squadron that are running Jeti now and this is my first jet. Tested the CB 400 and all 4 receivers in a C170 foamy and a single assist 10 Ch in an Avanti EDF and so far so good. Going to test fly the jet at the Carolina Jet Fest in two weeks. Will let you know how it works.
Thanks, Gary
Old 04-01-2018, 07:48 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see a lot of folks (myself included) checking out Jeti as a possibly more reliable system than even the good "pure" 2.4GHz systems. There appears to be a lot to know about the Jeti to properly and fully use the 2.4/900 for redundancy, and precious little written down that explains any of the Jeti system operation in any technical depth. So it's nice to see that some of the folks on this thread seem quite knowledgeable .. perhaps they can tell us where they learned .. resources we don't know about? experiments with the actual equipment? contacts back to the Jeti engineering staff?

For the "fields where Jeti struggles a little" .. how does the new JR and the Futaba gear work there? Is the Jeti better? worse? same? Would love any data anyone has.

I always worry a little about flying sites with Wifi ... which is why the 900MHz backup could be quite good.

Watching this thread closely and learning a lot...

Dave McQ

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy