Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti DS-24

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti DS-24

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:21 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Matchboxes are like so 70's though!
LOL I Agree!

Does anyone need a NIB R10? lol
Old 02-10-2016, 02:16 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by George
LOL I Agree!

Does anyone need a NIB R10? lol
Better hold onto it, you'll need for another "Jeti" equipped model soon I bet.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:28 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Y the flaps, and set up separate elevators and crow
Old 02-17-2016, 02:58 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Guys,

I've been buried at work and in the shop so it's been a while since I've been on RCU. I did want to comment on a few items in this thread....

1) I'm really excited about the prospect of the DC/DS-24. I'm flying a DC-16 (tray type) right now. I'm calling dibs (bagsy for you Brits) on a yellow DC-24. Nobody else is allowed to have one but me.

2) Regarding the Grummania trim gizmo, I really like everything about them except the cost. I had a few of them made, Goose made his own in an hour or so, and I have a couple of them that I've given to buddies. We set up the radios to have the trims cross-controlled with elevator & aileron in left cluster, rudder and nose wheel steering on the right cluster. Throttle trim uses a two position Safety switch for turbine trim and throttle kill. This setup gives you a free hand to adjust trim (when you are flying - you're using your right hand so your left hand is free to adjust the elev/ail trim, when taxiing, you are using your left hand which leaves your right hand free to adjust nose wheel steering).

3) Why did I switch to Jeti....Back in 2012 & 2013, I had a DX-18 and was starting to explore their telemetry hardware. Seemed pretty cool but wasn't really useful as you couldn't configure screens, and there was no voice output. (I understand that voice is available on more recent DX-18 versions). One of the things I like about JR/Spektrum was the Flight Monitor (hit/fade counter) to let you know how your radio was doing. Well, telemetry offered real time feedback (as opposed to checking the monitor once or if your plane made it back) and that is even better. So telemetry capabilities, voice output, and user configurable hardware (switch type/location) were the major features I was looking for in a new radio. I looked at all brands, and JUMPED to Jeti once I saw what they offered. Incidentally, I bought my Jeti radio and loved it so much I asked to be on the team. I haven't regretted either decision; Jeti has a solid radio system, the greatest selection of telemetry sensors (nobody else has a fuel gauge or air system pressure), is highly user configurable, has voice and now a color screen (BTW, I find the selector knob easy so I don't care about a touch screen), and is the only radio system that can use telemetry data to activate controls (eg gyro gain adjustment based on airspeed telemetry). I love it!!!

Regards,

Jim
Old 04-11-2016, 08:29 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

I predict we see the DS-24 in 2017, summer.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:51 AM
gooseF22

The cool thing is we have most of the features of the coming 24 in our 16's now.. I do look forward to a full EXBus hi speed 900MHz back up receiver however in the future. a PPM backup is ok, but not desirable long term. My hope is that when 900 comes out fully, it can be integrated into existing EXBus CB200 installations, or maybe integrated into REX receivers, if they are used to replace sat receivers on a 200. I also look forward that Buddy box via the 900Mhz can be meched up.. thusly allowing buddy boxing on a CB200
Old 04-11-2016, 09:05 AM
ravill

Originally Posted by gooseF22
The cool thing is we have most of the features of the coming 24 in our 16's now.. I do look forward to a full EXBus hi speed 900MHz back up receiver however in the future. a PPM backup is ok, but not desirable long term. My hope is that when 900 comes out fully, it can be integrated into existing EXBus CB200 installations, or maybe integrated into REX receivers, if they are used to replace sat receivers on a 200. I also look forward that Buddy box via the 900Mhz can be meched up.. thusly allowing buddy boxing on a CB200
Holy moly man! Was that even english???!!!! LOL
Old 04-11-2016, 10:33 AM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yep, English-tech-speak!!! You can do it Ravi, it is easier than brain surgery and you've been in plenty of those :-)

Jim
Old 04-11-2016, 11:35 AM
dubd

Raf and I are eagerly awaiting the new radio. We have twins to support.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:05 PM
justwannahavefun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Touch screen or no touch screen.

Originally Posted by dubd
The touch screen on my 18MZ isn't as useful while flying. However, it's extremely useful for setting up my planes. Navigating a dial/physical buttons is a PITA versus tapping on the UI affordance on-screen. Asking consumers (pilots) what they want will only give you biased info based on previous transmitter touch screens they've used in the past. Aside from the 18MZ, most of those touch screen user interfaces are on antiquated transmitters. Build a prototype of a touch screen UI and a non-touch screen UI and I'm 100% sure most will prefer the touch screen. The computing industry has figured this out a long time ago and the ones who didn't are no longer as relevant.

Interesting take. I'm not sure what other opinions would be better than the consumers (pilots) that are actually using the radios. Secondly, an RC TX is not an IPAD/IPHONE. Comparing them is possibly a mistake. Just my usually spot on opinion is all.

P.S. Who needs a touch screen? The Jeti dc 24 I'm waiting on (Pre-ordered two months back) has a built in FM Radio! What more could you want in a RC TX? (Not Kidding by the way.)
Old 06-27-2016, 10:56 AM
Jeti USA

We would like to announce that Jeti's new DC-24 Transmitter just passed all the FCC tests. We are expecting to receive final Equipment Authorization (FCC/US), and Certificate of Acceptance (IC/Canada) in next few weeks.

Zb/Jeti USA

Old 06-27-2016, 11:46 AM
rbgetz

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent News! I was curious, will this make it easier for the DS-24 authorization?
Old 06-28-2016, 06:32 AM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by rbgetz
Excellent News! I was curious, will this make it easier for the DS-24 authorization?
Yes it will, we know exactly what to look for and how to set it up.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 07-28-2016, 05:42 PM
Jeti USA

https://www.rc-thoughts.com/2016/07/...-instant-love/

Jeti have introduced us to 900MHz radio link as backup to 2.4GHz, let’s find out what it is about.
[h=4]The idea[/h]Is simple, to provide a backup radio-link to existing 2.4GHz frequency with additional 900MHz link. Well, technically it’s not 900MHz, in europe it is 863 – 870MHz and in US 902 – 928MHz.
Reason is also very simple, 2.4GHz band is very crowded and there are areas and flying sites where “air is too busy” for any longer distances. There’s a lot of discussions in teh interwebs about this so I’ll skip this part.
[h=4]How Jeti made it[/h]Jeti have chosen a quite clever way. Since they have long had the possibility to use satellites for both normal receivers with SAT-port and centralboxes basically all they had to do is the hardware. This is done with third transceiver in transmitter.
You can see the transceivers in the picture below, two shielded units on top are 2.4GHz and the one below is the 900MHz unit.

The idea with lower frequency is pretty clever. We do know that lower frequencies have better penetration-ability through obstacles so this makes the lower frequency very suitable to backup-use. My very basic range tests supports this, the 900MHz does go a bit further, of course some thorough testing still needs to be done on the subject.
[h=4]RSat900 receiver[/h]The receiver is the size as R3, that means four outputs. Antenna cable is 28 cm long.

Antennas are of different shape than we are used to. There is two of them and measurements are 11 mm x 80 mm x 0.7 mm. Two-sided tape-strips to fasten them are included. The actual “wiring” is clearly visible.

I’m sure we will see some very different pictures on antenna placement with this receiver in future.
Looking at tech-specs between 2.4GHz and 900MHz we know that 2.4GHz is sending with 100mW, I did not find information on the 900MHz value. Comparing the receivers sensitivities for example R3 has -106dBm and RSat900 has -110dBm, receivers power outputs are 15dBm for the R3 and the RSat900 being with 14dBm. R9 has the values as R3. (These values are the same in US and outside US.)
[h=4]Setting it up[/h]I tested with an R9 receiver with firmware 3.24 Standard and the RSat900 with original firmware. Connection is straight from the manual:

I had issues setting this up in the transmitter, reason was totally myself, never used a satellite-setup before so some manual reading and Wayne from RC-Groups forums to the rescue, thanks Wayne!
First, we need to set the R9 receivers serial link to something else than PPM, so this is wrong:

I chose Jetibox here. After that we need to go to Wireless Modes/Trainer and enable 900MHz Backup and pair the receiver:

After that our device explorer should show both receivers:

Setup is basically easy, RSat900 is configured to PPM Output and R9 has the SAT-port in PPM Input-mode, here’s RSat900:

And here’s R9:

What we need also to make sure is that PPM settings match, in my case both are on PPM Positive, 8 channels and 20ms output period.
[h=4]Thoughts, testing and results[/h]Now, before testing we need to ponder on some things. First, latency. Different radio circuits on different frequencies, time it takes for the equipment to change the signal path, there has to be at least some time-issues here. And surely so, there is. I hooked a few of R9 receivers servo outputs to my oscilloscope, put the servo test mode on and watched the magically moving PWM-signals moving gracefully between 1.000 and 2.000ms width. A nerd get’s his kicks where he can find them, I know…
So, on with the record-button on scope and off to shut down 2.4GHz. Jeti gives us the opportunity for this in the Wireless Modes/Training screen’s lower left corner, we can shut down specific radio-links:

Choosing the last item, leaving only 900MHz on I did get some results. And I was impressed. The gap between movement on servo PWM-signal was only 700ns, that is 0.0000007 seconds. (Average on 10 measurements). What this practically means is that in case of signal dropping to backup frequency one does not lose the model due strange control surface movements.
When 2.4Ghz comes back the gap is shorter, I found it to be around 100 to 200ns.
There is another thing. There is a gap, and if right in the middle of the gap servo is moving it stops for the length of the gap and after the time it jumps to the correct position. I can imagine for a heli in tight spot (a lot of rapid movements, hard 3D for example) this will be noticeable. But, the model is saved so the main goal truly is there.
[h=4]Questions remaining[/h]No quick test is perfect without some questions remaining.
For example, test is made with intentional shut down of 2.4GHz signal. Is there any delay in true life event where transmitter first has to notice the 2.4GHz link getting worse? To test this I tried to isolate R9 antennas leaving RSat900 antenna out but did not get it to work. (Too small house…) Also to test this I need a friend operating scope due limited record-time. I’ll try to get this sorted out.
I need to read on the subject. As I have helis and all of them are using sum-signals (PPM/UDI etc) I need to find out if I can use the RSat900 to backup those, if we can only backup pure PWM (servo) there is not much use of this for me.
[h=4]Final words[/h]Way to go Jeti, this was absolutely great!
Old 11-10-2016, 12:53 PM
ravill

4 months later. What's the word?
Old 11-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Esprit is taking pre-orders

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-dupl...nly-radio.aspx
Old 12-14-2016, 10:21 AM
captainjacobs

Hi Jeti Guys,
Didn't understood at this time why there are 3 transmitter modules (2.4 x2 and one 900) in the DC-DS24 and only 2 Rx slot in CB200/400 boxes.
User manual shows drawings with CB200 and one 2.4 Rsat in Rx1 slot and one Rsat 900 in Rx2 slot.
Currently, I have a DS16 with CB200 and 2 Rsat 2.4. Wonder if I could stay with this setup and just adding a 900 Rsat when upgrading to DS24 ?
Thanks.
Arnaud
Old 12-14-2016, 05:57 PM
Jeti USA

I wanted to let everybody know that we have new firmware for Central Box 400.
This one solves problem with 17-24 channel hold. You will need to update transmitter as well, new final version will be up early next week, we are testing it over the weekend.

Zb/Jeti USA

http://www.jetimodel.com/en/Download...rs-Tx-Modules/

Update - Central Box
Central Box 400 Update V1.07 - Device update for Central Box 400 (12/2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 05:59 PM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by captainjacobs
Hi Jeti Guys,
Didn't understood at this time why there are 3 transmitter modules (2.4 x2 and one 900) in the DC-DS24 and only 2 Rx slot in CB200/400 boxes.
User manual shows drawings with CB200 and one 2.4 Rsat in Rx1 slot and one Rsat 900 in Rx2 slot.
Currently, I have a DS16 with CB200 and 2 Rsat 2.4. Wonder if I could stay with this setup and just adding a 900 Rsat when upgrading to DS24 ?
Thanks.
Arnaud
You will be able to use 3x receivers (2x 2.4Ghz, 1x 900MHz) for the CB200 after firmware update. Guys at Jeti Model are finishing new integration firmware.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 12-14-2016, 10:55 PM
captainjacobs

Originally Posted by Jeti USA
You will be able to use 3x receivers (2x 2.4Ghz, 1x 900MHz) for the CB200 after firmware update. Guys at Jeti Model are finishing new integration firmware.

Zb/Jeti USA

Guess it will be the same with a CB400 ?
Old 12-15-2016, 05:01 AM
Jeti USA

CB400 already has 4x EXT ports

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 01-02-2017, 06:44 AM
rbgetz

I just noticed the pre-orders for the DS-24 are now delayed further to late February instead of January. Is this one of those things we can expect to keep getting pushed out?
Old 02-12-2017, 07:42 PM
rbgetz

I was hoping to convert my planes over to Jeti this winter, but now the delay on the ds-24 just says "Spring 2017". Can this delay really go until June? any info would help, just trying to plan for a few builds.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:57 PM
JoeJr1485

is there any way to add the 900MHz to the DS16 and use it or do us with the DS 16 have to sale them and get the new DS24 to get this feature?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:40 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Can't help but notice that while Jeti USA has in the past been very quick to pounce on customer opinions he disagrees with, there are only crickets regarding rollout delays. Just sayin'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.