Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti DS-24

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti DS-24

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:16 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

There’s no sensor......but the KingTech Telemetry devices has “Speed TP” which I’m sure is just a calculation with motor/gearbox ratio....
Old 06-21-2018, 11:23 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy
There’s no sensor......but the KingTech Telemetry devices has “Speed TP” which I’m sure is just a calculation with motor/gearbox ratio....
that could be yes but makes no sence , since the gearbox is freewheeling , you never know what speed it is doing , would be good if they had a Hall sensor mounted like Jetcat does it..
gives you :
1. security (overspeed)
2 . Cruise control
3. Constant Propspeed perfect for towing sorta same as the cruise control..

anway i am sure we can do all this , but does not have our first priority..
maybe if more people write kingtech they will do it..
anyway we do have looked into this , and its possible to make our own hall sensor in combination with the CTU.
and have all the goodies that come with one..
Old 06-21-2018, 11:25 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy
I doubt that. The free power turbine is not connected to the core engine.
edit: Sandor beat me to it

Last edited by causeitflies; 06-21-2018 at 11:27 AM. Reason: sandor beat me
Old 06-22-2018, 06:08 AM
ZB

Because the prop is connected to the gearbox would not be enough to have optical sensor measure the prop rpm?

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 06-22-2018, 06:53 AM
digitech

Originally Posted by ZB
Because the prop is connected to the gearbox would not be enough to have optical sensor measure the prop rpm?

Zb/Jeti USA
Yes also possIble.
but always prefrered a hall over optical.

br Sandor
Old 06-25-2018, 05:00 AM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Resetting The telemetry values of ACCU capacity ?

Anyone know how to do this? I have tried everything I can think of and no luck. Thanks in advance.

Bob Neal
Old 06-25-2018, 05:02 AM
digitech

Originally Posted by Bobneal1
Anyone know how to do this? I have tried everything I can think of and no luck. Thanks in advance.

Bob Neal
Go thru device explorer into the cbbox there you can reset or asign a switch that does that
Old 06-25-2018, 05:04 AM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobneal1

Bob Neal
Bob, what exactly are you trying to do. Im not sure I understand the question.

Gary
Old 06-25-2018, 06:44 AM
gapellegrini

I think this worth to share. A Brazilian friend turned off his 2.4 link while flying his jet. He wanted to have a sense of what would be like flying on 900 mhz. According to him not much differente other than fly the plane with more expo.

Flight video:

Log show video:
Old 06-25-2018, 09:03 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gapellegrini
I think this worth to share. A Brazilian friend turned off his 2.4 link while flying his jet. He wanted to have a sense of what would be like flying on 900 mhz. According to him not much differente other than fly the plane with more expo.
Gutsy move Maverick. Glad it worked as advertised.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:35 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

that is designed for backup and NOT recommend for normal flight .
Old 06-28-2018, 10:36 AM
ZB

Click image for larger version

Name:	esprittech201806h_800x700.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	2261153
Old 06-29-2018, 07:03 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just thought I'd mention a behavior I noticed recently. I have been using an MBAR in most of my jets and have it setup as a gear fali-safe, to automatically drop the landing gear if pressure goes below a certain level. This has always worked fine but I recently noticed that if I press the ""Clear" button on the display to reset my flight timer, it cause my landing gear to cycle up then down. Traced it back to the Clear button not simply clearing the timer but ALL telemetry input, and as a result the telemetry control fails. Played with various combinations and all reasonable settings of rht default state for the telemetry control when it loses telemetry but no joy. As a result I' eliminated the fail-safe in favor of a simply alarm on low gear pressure. For most this may not be a problem but since I have my timer start when I advance the throttle stick, I always press stop and clear to reset it before takeoff so it was causing issues for me. If someone has solved this problem I'd love to hear how...
Old 06-29-2018, 08:07 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

With some good advice from the gang here on the thread I've been trying to work out a good method to migrate a few large jets from Futaba S-bus to Jeti, previously using Futaba 7003 receivers, Powerbox iGyro, and Emcotec/Robbe DPSI 2018 system. My goals were to retain the 2018 for battery redundancy and S-bus servo driving (it is very convenient for that, and has a great wiring/connector system), and to get the full benefit of all the Jeti RF link redundancy and telemetry.

The 2018 does support use of two Jeti EXbus receivers, so that is a good start. But the iGyro does not, so I am switching over to the Cortex Pro, which handles EXBus properly (e.g. serial in/out), and also supports setup/tuning with Device Explorer.

Thus, I am using two Jeti REX receivers, EXbus output. These feed the Cortex Pro. So the Cortex is handling the selection of the 2.4GHz receivers. The conundrum was how to properly incorporate the 900MHz backup link. I know from experience that the 2018 switches back and forth between the two RXs as the signal quality changes. From the logs, I see it going back and forth as the RX signal quality bounces around in the 90% range, perhaps switching 4-5 times during the flight. This is different from what the Jeti CBs do, where I understand that they "hang on" to the primary until it really gets bad, then switches to the backup. Makes perfect sense if the primary is 2.4 and the backup is 900. But putting the 2.4 link into RX1 and the 900 into RX2 on the 2018 does not seem like a good solution.

So I decided that a nice way to handle this is to incorporate a CB200 into the system between the Cortex Pro and the 2018.

So then the setup is: Two REX RXs plugged into the Cortex Pro. Cortex EXbus out to the RX1 port on the CB200, and the 900MHz receiver outputting EXBus to the RX2 port on the CB200. Then, I set Ext2 and Ext3 on the CB200 to EXBus out ... these ports feed RX1 and RX2 on the 2018 receiver inputs. I am handling failsafe in the CB200, so it's off in the RXs and off in the 2018.

With all the new firmware updates, and hooked up as noted above in this thread by Sandor, I "see" the REX receivers, the CB200 and the Cortex Pro on device explore. My Xicoy Flight computer, set to Jeti mode for its telemetry output, goes into the Ext1 port of the CB200 and provides all the turbine parameters, pitot-static airspeed, g-forces etc. I noted with some surprise that the 2018 was also supplying its telemetry via the EXbus even before I plugged in the "Jeti telemetry dongle" that Emcotec supplies (which plugs into one of the Spek satellite connectors).

So far things are working very well. And, as a bonus, I can now use all 24 channels since I can assign pins on the CB200 to channels not originally usable in a 2018-only solution.

I would welcome any comments from those much more knowledgeable, in terms of any traps or "gotchas" or any thoughts on the reliability of the approach or how to improve it.

One potential weak point I've noted is that I only have one wire from the Cortex EXBus output to the CB200 RX1 .. since the CB200 RX2 is fed by the 900MHz backup. And of course the Cortex pin 4 to a servo output on the CB200 I presume to back up on power only.

Dave
Old 06-29-2018, 10:14 AM
kevin002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Just thought I'd mention a behavior I noticed recently. I have been using an MBAR in most of my jets and have it setup as a gear fali-safe, to automatically drop the landing gear if pressure goes below a certain level. This has always worked fine but I recently noticed that if I press the ""Clear" button on the display to reset my flight timer, it cause my landing gear to cycle up then down. Traced it back to the Clear button not simply clearing the timer but ALL telemetry input, and as a result the telemetry control fails. Played with various combinations and all reasonable settings of rht default state for the telemetry control when it loses telemetry but no joy. As a result I' eliminated the fail-safe in favor of a simply alarm on low gear pressure. For most this may not be a problem but since I have my timer start when I advance the throttle stick, I always press stop and clear to reset it before takeoff so it was causing issues for me. If someone has solved this problem I'd love to hear how...
Holy Cow Batman, thanks for the heads up on this. I'm using MBar to automatically drop my gear if pressure god below 50psi. Just finished flying my Mustang at the Windy City Warbirds & Classics last week without any issues. Boy am I glad I didn't need to reset my timer! I will test this and let you know.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:34 AM
Custmachr
My Feedback: (3)

A solution for the failsafe could be to use the Xicoy gear sequencer instead of the MBAR. It will cycle the gear at a present low pressure automaticity. It also has telemetry output to Jeti for pressure readout, In addition I think it cost less and has the added benefit of having metal case and metal air fitting. Ie will not be damaged if you have to remove the tubing.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:29 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by ww2birds
With some good advice from the gang here on the thread I've been trying to work out a good method to migrate a few large jets from Futaba S-bus to Jeti, previously using Futaba 7003 receivers, Powerbox iGyro, and Emcotec/Robbe DPSI 2018 system. My goals were to retain the 2018 for battery redundancy and S-bus servo driving (it is very convenient for that, and has a great wiring/connector system), and to get the full benefit of all the Jeti RF link redundancy and telemetry.

The 2018 does support use of two Jeti EXbus receivers, so that is a good start. But the iGyro does not, so I am switching over to the Cortex Pro, which handles EXBus properly (e.g. serial in/out), and also supports setup/tuning with Device Explorer.

Thus, I am using two Jeti REX receivers, EXbus output. These feed the Cortex Pro. So the Cortex is handling the selection of the 2.4GHz receivers. The conundrum was how to properly incorporate the 900MHz backup link. I know from experience that the 2018 switches back and forth between the two RXs as the signal quality changes. From the logs, I see it going back and forth as the RX signal quality bounces around in the 90% range, perhaps switching 4-5 times during the flight. This is different from what the Jeti CBs do, where I understand that they "hang on" to the primary until it really gets bad, then switches to the backup. Makes perfect sense if the primary is 2.4 and the backup is 900. But putting the 2.4 link into RX1 and the 900 into RX2 on the 2018 does not seem like a good solution.

So I decided that a nice way to handle this is to incorporate a CB200 into the system between the Cortex Pro and the 2018.

So then the setup is: Two REX RXs plugged into the Cortex Pro. Cortex EXbus out to the RX1 port on the CB200, and the 900MHz receiver outputting EXBus to the RX2 port on the CB200. Then, I set Ext2 and Ext3 on the CB200 to EXBus out ... these ports feed RX1 and RX2 on the 2018 receiver inputs. I am handling failsafe in the CB200, so it's off in the RXs and off in the 2018.

With all the new firmware updates, and hooked up as noted above in this thread by Sandor, I "see" the REX receivers, the CB200 and the Cortex Pro on device explore. My Xicoy Flight computer, set to Jeti mode for its telemetry output, goes into the Ext1 port of the CB200 and provides all the turbine parameters, pitot-static airspeed, g-forces etc. I noted with some surprise that the 2018 was also supplying its telemetry via the EXbus even before I plugged in the "Jeti telemetry dongle" that Emcotec supplies (which plugs into one of the Spek satellite connectors).

So far things are working very well. And, as a bonus, I can now use all 24 channels since I can assign pins on the CB200 to channels not originally usable in a 2018-only solution.

I would welcome any comments from those much more knowledgeable, in terms of any traps or "gotchas" or any thoughts on the reliability of the approach or how to improve it.

One potential weak point I've noted is that I only have one wire from the Cortex EXBus output to the CB200 RX1 .. since the CB200 RX2 is fed by the 900MHz backup. And of course the Cortex pin 4 to a servo output on the CB200 I presume to back up on power only.

Dave
If I'm understanding you correctly I don't really care for that solution. It seems WAY too complicated, expensive and uses too many components and connections , reducing the overall reliability of the system. Since the Cortex Pro deals with receivers the same as the CB200 does, connect your secondary 2.4Ghx receiver to the the primary receiver via PPM and connect the Primary to the Cortex Pro via EX Bus, then just connect the R900 to the secondary receiver input of the Cortex Pro. Connect the Ex Bus output(s) of the Cortex Pro to your 2018 and you should be done unless I'm missing something.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:03 PM
ww2birds

Thanks, those are fair criticisms of the approach. I started with exactly the approach you suggested but, apparently, the current RXs don't have the ability to take a PPM-connected satellite and "compute" an EXbus output. It may be the case that the assist RXs can do that now (I recall a post from ZB along those lines) and I understand that there may be a firmware update coming that will allow all the REX family to do that. But I hooked it up that way and it does not work unless you make the system all PPM which does not help me at all.

If this is wrong, I would love to know...

I realize that wanting to keep SBus and therefore the 2018 is driving some complexity into the solution.

I thought about replacing the 2018 with a CB400, then making a "bootleg" SBus setup with some Slinky's or CB100s as in the Esprit video ... to get the "one plug" sbus experience on the wings. Perhaps that will end up being a better approach.

Oh, and I'd love to see a fix for your "CLR"/gear issue too!!

Dave
Old 06-29-2018, 03:01 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Dave,
Have you checked with Emcotec to see if your 2018 can be updated to support EX Bus?
Old 06-29-2018, 06:06 PM
ww2birds

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
Dave,
Have you checked with Emcotec to see if your 2018 can be updated to support EX Bus?
It does support EXBus already (I have one of the "Duplex Edition" ones, but apparently the older ones can support EXBus with a firmware update). If only using 2.4 it would be easy .. 2x2.4 RX into the Cortex Pro, 2 serial outs to the 2018....
Old 06-29-2018, 06:13 PM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Wayne,
As far as I know, there is no way to avoid the "clear" command from momentaneously interrupting all telemetry input. Nonetheless there are a couple of ways to avoid that issue affecting your normal gear operation.

Method 1:
a) Gear is operated by a Logical switch (say L1 ). Gear is Down when L1 is in 'X", and Up when it's in "V".
b) Assign switch SB as your gear switch: "X" if gear is down, and "V" if gear is up.
c) Define a telemetry control (say Mx1): closed ( "V" ) when air pressure is > than your failsafe pressure.
d) Define L1 as: SE AND Mx1
e) L1 is in the "gear up" position ("V") when: SB is "V", AND, Mx1 is "V". In other words, gear is up if the switch is SE is Up "and" the pressure is greater than 60#. Otherwise L1 will be "X" ( gear down).
With this configuration, the "clear" command will only cycle the gear if you "clear" while the gear is in the retracted position and the air pressure is above the failsafe press.

Method 2:
a) similar
b) similar
c) Make Mx1: closed when air pressure is "< " than failsafe pressure (instead of >)
d) similar
e) "Reverse" Mx1 in L1 edit menu. So, gear is Up if switch SE is in the Up position, and the air pressure is "not" less than the failsafe pressure.
With this method, the "clear" command will only cycle if you "clear" while the switch gear is in the Up position and the pressure is below the failsafe pressure (very unlikely situation).

Jack
Old 06-29-2018, 06:29 PM
kevin002

I tested my setup this evening. I am using the throttle to start my timer, so I advanced the throttle with the gear down and then stopped the timer and reset the timer using the clear button. This did not cause my gear to cycle and the pressure reading did not change. I setup an alarm to sound when the pressure reaches 100psi and when it drops below 50psi as well as automatically dropping my gear. I re-tested all of this and everything appears to be functioning as predicted.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:31 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

It does support EXBus already (I have one of the "Duplex Edition" ones, but apparently the older ones can support EXBus with a firmware update). If only using 2.4 it would be easy .. 2x2.4 RX into the Cortex Pro, 2 serial outs to the 2018....
(2) 2.4 rx to the Cortex Pro
(1) Output (pin 6) from the Cortex Pro to the 2018
REX 900 to the second input of the 2018
All EX Bus
Old 06-29-2018, 06:37 PM
wfield0455

Thanks, those are fair criticisms of the approach. I started with exactly the approach you suggested but, apparently, the current RXs don't have the ability to take a PPM-connected satellite and "compute" an EXbus output. It may be the case that the assist RXs can do that now (I recall a post from ZB along those lines) and I understand that there may be a firmware update coming that will allow all the REX family to do that. But I hooked it up that way and it does not work unless you make the system all PPM which does not help me at all.

If this is wrong, I would love to know...

I realize that wanting to keep SBus and therefore the 2018 is driving some complexity into the solution.

I thought about replacing the 2018 with a CB400, then making a "bootleg" SBus setup with some Slinky's or CB100s as in the Esprit video ... to get the "one plug" sbus experience on the wings. Perhaps that will end up being a better approach.

Oh, and I'd love to see a fix for your "CLR"/gear issue too!!

Dave
You're right, sorry, I keep forgetting the REX receivers don't do this correctly and confuse them with the REX Assist which Jeti specifically recommends this configuration for.
I'm not sure if the Regular non REX receivers work correctly in this regard or not and I don't have any central boxes anymore to test against but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't carry serial PPM through to EX Bus either.
You could simply replace one of the REX receivers with a REX Assist with stabilization turned off. You could also skip the Cortex Pro (don't hate me Danny) and use a Rex Assist with a PPM connected R900 and connect it to the 2018 via Ex Bus.. Then if you really wanted a secondary 2.4Ghz receiver, simply connect it directly to the 2018. The secondary 2.4Hhz won't be stabilized but it the Assist dies or becomes disconnected for some reason it may save the airplane. Just some thoughts.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:46 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket

(2) 2.4 rx to the Cortex Pro
(1) Output (pin 6) from the Cortex Pro to the 2018
REX 900 to the second input of the 2018
All EX Bus
Would that really be a good solution ? Since I believe the 2018 looks at the secondary receiver on a nearly frame by frame basis and since the R900 isn't even really active (updates about 1/10 rate) until the transmitter detect the 2.4Ghz link has failed, any time the 2.4Ghz drops a frame it may use very out of date data from the R900, possibly resulting in glitchy controls if the frame is dropped during rapid servo movements. Not sure what the likelihood of this happening is but I think Jeti specifically makes use of it's receivers in a way that favors the "hot standby" style 900Mhz receiver which isn't really active until the 2.4Ghz link fails which matches up very nicely to the way Jeti uses Rx2 of the central box..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.