Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:54 AM
TTRotary

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I spoke with him last week, he's a former Air Force pilot, I even busted his chops for not being able to land on a carrier

I also extended a personal invitation to join us at our club here in Jacksonville for some flying and the best smoked BBQ in the south if he's in the area and he promised me to take me up on that.
Thanks for these efforts and the real progress they will provide. You have done more for the hobby than a million pages of internet posts can ever accomplish. Perhaps we could find out who else at the FAA might be receptive to this type of channel - just coming out to, say, a jet event to see how we do things. I think our AMA guys have done the best they can, but sometimes the best way is just actual show-and-tell. Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:22 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Thanks for these efforts and the real progress they will provide. You have done more for the hobby than a million pages of internet posts can ever accomplish. Perhaps we could find out who else at the FAA might be receptive to this type of channel - just coming out to, say, a jet event to see how we do things. I think our AMA guys have done the best they can, but sometimes the best way is just actual show-and-tell. Thanks again.
This was an iniative of the AMA Leadership and the AMA District IV Government relations team in an effort to work on the issue of the shut-down of flying in the DC SFRA. The AMA is continuously and tirelessly working with the FAA to help them solve the issues they have with safety of the NAS while preserving our hobby. This has included many "show and tell" events with FAA personnel as well as other activities.

They continue their efforts using a philosophy of working with the FAA to be part of the solution, not part of the problem - even while being subject to uninformed criticism on web forums - including their own blog.

Bob
Old 01-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
But now when an law enforcement official happens on the scene, he has a tool to shut them down immediately. In which case that's a minimal use of authority that accomplishes the immediate goal - something to encourage compliance. In those cases officers usually make notes in their systems, so if the same individuals are encountered again, the officers can escalate their response, this time perhaps formally reporting them to FAA for "enhanced" action by them.

Regardless, without registration, then the only tool available to the officer is their own judgement about what is and is not safe and perhaps general public endangerment rules to apply. Registration gives them something specific and clear.
I don't think a long dissertation on this would avail much at all. I am trying to understand how you perceive this but I am on a different side of this fence for some reason. There are many points you make that I totally disagree on, yet not all.

I do think the comment about LE having a "tool to shut them down immediately" begs some response. Just because the LE has a tool, will never ensure it will be used in the majority of cases to shut anyone down. I know many LEs and I can say from first hand experience they won't deal with this even though they have the tool. They simply won't check these "registrations" unless it is a mandate from their seniors.

As you state maybe they will note the offender just because they had to "go out" and check on the disturbance, but that would have been the case even if the drone flyer had not of registered. It may be different where you are located, but around here LEs are not jumping on any of this. They don't want any part of it.

To the statement "without registration" - when an officer goes to a domestic call, what registration does he look at? When an officer goes to a brawl what registration does he look at? If an officer is well trained, then his own judgment far exceeds any device registration.

One thing is for sure, this will get interesting as the days move forward.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:14 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Luchnia
Just because the LE has a tool, will never ensure it will be used in the majority of cases to shut anyone down. I know many LEs and I can say from first hand experience they won't deal with this even though they have the tool. They simply won't check these "registrations" unless it is a mandate from their seniors.

As you state maybe they will note the offender just because they had to "go out" and check on the disturbance, but that would have been the case even if the drone flyer had not of registered. It may be different where you are located, but around here LEs are not jumping on any of this. They don't want any part of it.

To the statement "without registration" - when an officer goes to a domestic call, what registration does he look at? When an officer goes to a brawl what registration does he look at? If an officer is well trained, then his own judgment far exceeds any device registration.
You said that "Just because the LE has a tool, will never ensure it will be used in the majority of cases to shut anyone down." Saying that it will "never" be used, but then qualifying it for "the majority" of cases is not realistic. Law enforcement has many tools at their disposal, and there's reports (on HF) of people already being asked to show registration. So "never" may be a bit strong. Some LEs are using it, and FAA is certainly putting the tools out there for them to do so: https://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforcement/

Again, LEs are acting on this differently in different areas. I'm happy that yours seem to be ignoring it, but that is not universal. As for making notes, if LE#1 makes notes about the encounter, and remarks they were not registered but then uses discretion to let them continue, does it make it more likely LE#2 who encounters the same individual a week or two later will let them continue? Maybe, maybe not. But it's there if they want to use it.

Lastly, the notion of checking "registration" during a domestic is nonsense. Of course they don't check registration. But what they do check is IDs, check for wants or warrants, etc. Same when they show up at a brawl, again, no "registration" to be checked, but they do check IDs, W&W, etc. When you're stopped by LE on the roads though, what's one of the three typical pieces of information LE wants to see? #1 DL, #2 insurance, and .... drum roll please .... REGISTRATION.

In most cases LE has discretion. Again, in your area you say they don't care, nor do they want to be involved. Will it stay that way? Don't know. But there's reports from elsewhere that other LEs are taking an interest in using it as a tool.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:17 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not going to read through all this back and forth but was curious what happens to the AMA's Park Flyer program? No changes or let the small foamy fliers that fly in parks run the risk of being ticketed by an overzealous LEO?
Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by radfordc
This is the crux of the problem....the FAA intends to treat all users of the airspace the same. The AMA is catching hell because it hasn't been able to get the FAA to give it special consideration. This probably will never happen, unless the courts or congress intervene. We modelers are part of the "system" now. We can choose to operate safely and legally....or not.
Support the Fund