Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Old 12-29-2015, 06:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Page 8 of the NPRM Just Guessing but it Looks to me to be of no concern to UAS flyers flying for FUN an d RECREATION. Wright or Wrong

I. Executive SummaryA. Purpose of the Regulatory ActionThis rulemaking proposes operating requirements to allow small unmanned aircraftsystems (small UAS) to operate for non-hobby or non-recreational purposes. A small UASconsists of a small unmanned aircraft (which, as defined by statute, is an unmanned aircraftweighing less than 55 pounds3) and equipment necessary for the safe and efficientoperation of that aircraft. The FAA has accommodated non-recreational small UAS usethrough various mechanisms, such as special airworthiness certificates, exemptions, andcertificates of waiver or authorization (COA). This proposed rule would be the next phaseof integrating small UAS into the NAS.The following are examples of possible small UAS operations that could beconducted under this proposed framework:
 Crop monitoring/inspection; Research and development; Educational/academic uses; Power-line/pipeline inspection in hilly or mountainous terrain; Antenna inspections; Aiding certain rescue operations such as locating snow avalanche victims;3Pub. L. No. 112-95, sec. 331(6) 8
That is only part of the NPRM, the other part changes part 101 to add model aircraft with rockets and kites. See page 172 and 173.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:01 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Did they include "Chinese lanterns"? Those things just go wherever the wind blows. Or, how about every kid who holds a balloon must register in case they let go accidentally and the balloon then enters the FAA enforceable airspace!!!! What if my pet bird escapes before I get a chance to register it?

So many questions.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:08 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
That is only part of the NPRM, the other part changes part 101 to add model aircraft with rockets and kites. See page 172 and 173.
COME on Sporty PLZ provide a URL so We are on the same Page PLZ PLZ PLZ ...
Thank U.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
COME on Sporty PLZ provide a URL so We are on the same Page PLZ PLZ PLZ ...
Thank U.
The same one you were quoting and didn't bother to fully read!
Old 12-29-2015, 08:14 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
Did they include "Chinese lanterns"? Those things just go wherever the wind blows. Or, how about every kid who holds a balloon must register in case they let go accidentally and the balloon then enters the FAA enforceable airspace!!!! What if my pet bird escapes before I get a chance to register it?

So many questions.
I know you're being ....well whatever you want to call it.

But just in case , it has to weigh over 1/2 pound and have a communication/control link from the ground
Old 12-29-2015, 08:34 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

nm..

Last edited by essyou35; 12-29-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:55 AM
essyou35

A couple questions:
How much do I have to spend on an altimeter that can accurately tell me the difference between 200 and 400 feet, and fit into my aircraft?
How do I get that information back to me, I don't own a telemetric radio.
In general, what is the cost I bear to ensure I follow the law?

At what point do we measure the 400 feet? ASL? from the ground to aircraft? From my physical location?

I could fly off a mountain face 1000 feet up, aircraft is 200 feet above me but 1200 feet above ground. I could fly over a 200 foot hill, can I be 600 feet up then from my location but 400 above the hill?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaguen...onal_vagueness
Old 12-29-2015, 11:09 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You tell how high 400 feet is by your judgement. Same way we have been doing it since 1981(Original issue for AC 91-57, since cancelled).

No need for any equipment. Stay under 400 and when someone asks how high you fly tell them under 400. Last part is very important.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:13 AM
essyou35

I'll take that as a joke. funny!

Originally Posted by mr_matt
You tell how high 400 feet is by your judgement. Same way we have been doing it since 1981(Original issue for AC 91-57, since cancelled).

No need for any equipment. Stay under 400 and when someone asks how high you fly tell them under 400. Last part is very important.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:19 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by essyou35
A couple questions:How much do I have to spend on an altimeter that can accurately tell me the difference between 200 and 400 feet, and fit into my aircraft?How do I get that information back to me, I don't own a telemetric radio.In general, what is the cost I bear to ensure I follow the law?At what point do we measure the 400 feet? ASL? from the ground to aircraft? From my physical location?I could fly off a mountain face 1000 feet up, aircraft is 200 feet above me but 1200 feet above ground. I could fly over a 200 foot hill, can I be 600 feet up then from my location but 400 above the hill?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaguen...onal_vagueness
Good Question. The idiotic government never thinks that far out. It's always pass this bill now and read it later so we can find out what is in it. The gooberment is full of morons who sit around all day trying to think of new ways to screw us yet they have no clue as to what they are doing.Like I said, I'm not registering unless I get forced to.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:28 AM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Good Question. The idiotic government never thinks that far out. It's always pass this bill now and read it later so we can find out what is in it. The gooberment is full of morons who sit around all day trying to think of new ways to screw us yet they have no clue as to what they are doing.Like I said, I'm not registering unless I get forced to.
Oh they know exactly what they are doing alright. Get ready for four years + of Weekend at Bernie's or the Hildebeast. Think this country's been wrecked enough over the past 6 years? We've not seen anything yet!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:29 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll take that as a joke. funny!
100% serious. Remember your club "mates" read forums too.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:30 AM
AndyAndrews

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
Oh they know exactly what they are doing alright. Get ready for four years + of Weekend at Bernie's or the Hildebeast. Think this country's been wrecked enough over the past 6 years? We've not seen anything yet!
NOPE ain't gonna happin:TRUMP 2016!!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:35 AM
essyou35

"Under vagueness doctrine, a statute is also void for vagueness if a legislature's delegation of authority to judges and/or administrators is so extensive that it would lead to arbitrary prosecutions."

AMA needs to argue this, not only do we not know if we are breaking the law, how can a cop know? The things I mentioned above would come into play, as would relative position. I want to follow the law, I do, but I have no way to follow it other than the "eyeball" method. My eyeball is different than yours, and a LEOs.

I suppose a range finder could work but I doubt an LEO is going to know how to apply the trigonometry to figure it out.

Now of course in extreme circumstances, when an rc aircraft nearly collides with an airliner at 5000 feet that is a different story.

Would cops bother us? Go watch you tube. You will get your answer there. Not to mention that 100s of FOGs/pencil ducks at our own clubs that just sit around causing issues is more what I am worried about.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:42 AM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously hope so, but you got to realize what we are dealing with in regards to voters and the infamous "power in numbers" slogan. In simple terms, look at today's society, not even superman would be looked at as a hero.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 12-29-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:10 PM
AndyAndrews

"Under vagueness doctrine, a statute is also void for vagueness if a legislature's delegation of authority to judges and/or administrators is so extensive that it would lead to arbitrary prosecutions."AMA needs to argue this, not only do we not know if we are breaking the law, how can a cop know? The things I mentioned above would come into play, as would relative position. I want to follow the law, I do, but I have no way to follow it other than the "eyeball" method. My eyeball is different than yours, and a LEOs.I suppose a range finder could work but I doubt an LEO is going to know how to apply the trigonometry to figure it out.Now of course in extreme circumstances, when an rc aircraft nearly collides with an airliner at 5000 feet that is a different story.Would cops bother us? Go watch you tube. You will get your answer there. Not to mention that 100s of FOGs/pencil ducks at our own clubs that just sit around causing issues is more what I am worried about.
Yep if folks are going to start getting ticketed and such there has to be PROOF (ie, radar, video,) not just some yahoo keystone cop who thinks you went to high.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:30 PM
HoundDog

"Under vagueness doctrine, a statute is also void for vagueness if a legislature's delegation of authority to judges and/or administrators is so extensive that it would lead to arbitrary prosecutions."
Tell it to the FAA or any Law congress makes. Reads Like the grapes of rath or some Hemingway book.
AMA needs to argue this, not only do we not know if we are breaking the law, how can a cop know? The things I mentioned above would come into play, as would relative position. I want to follow the law, I do, but I have no way to follow it other than the "eyeball" method. My eyeball is different than yours, and a LEOs.

Wait a minute there a lot of people here Pissed at the AMA for spending the first Million U want AMA dues to go up again? come on now.

I suppose a range finder could work but I doubt an LEO is going to know how to apply the trigonometry to figure it out. It's all automatic

Now of course in extreme circumstances, when an rc aircraft nearly collides with an airliner at 5000 feet that is a different story.

Would cops bother us? Go watch you tube. You will get your answer there. Not to mention that 100s of FOGs/pencil ducks at our own clubs that just sit around causing issues is more what I am worried about.
Only if there is a substantial reward or they just don't like U or U R not in with the In Crowd there bucko ... but now if U R the In Crowd what the HE double Hokey sticks U worried about. Most clubs are a do what I tell ya Not what U see me do. I'm on the BOARD and I ca do what I want but U better tow the line bucko..
Old 12-29-2015, 05:40 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt

Thats what we say about how fast we're going. 199.99
Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 PM
jonkoppisch

+1
Old 12-29-2015, 05:51 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by jonkoppisch
Thats what we say about how fast we're going. 199.99
That's all OK but if Like the cop that pulls u over and his first question, when he's already got ya on Radar.
Sir, Do U know how fast U were going?
Old 12-29-2015, 06:00 PM
jonkoppisch

Well then he can write me a ticket for going 175
Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=jonkoppisch;12151936]Well then he can write me a ticket for going 175 [
/QUOTE]
Sorry but U are about 25.01 MPH too slow ... Better luck next Pass. Just Go for it.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:17 AM
franklin_m

I submit that based on influential organizations like this favoring a strict 400' limit, it's not a matter of IF one is put in place, but merely a matter of HOW SOON one is put in place.

http://atwonline.com/safety/editorial-good-rule#
Old 12-30-2015, 06:14 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

One of the fields I fly at is in Cherry Creek State Park- Denver,CO. We have been flying with a 400ft altitude restriction for over 35 years. The DRCE field is 2.75 miles from the North/South runway at Centennial Airport and lined up with that runway. The restriction was placed on the field when a 10ft span sailplane collided with a private twin engine airplane. A plane comes right over DRCE field every few minutes.

The sailplane fliers moved to a different field because the 400ft limit was not acceptable to them. .Since the collision the club has encouraged each flier to have a spotter. In my opinion the altitude restriction is violated many times a day but when notified a full scale is in the pattern the model flier will decend immediately. Usually the full scale is at 1000ft or slightly higher but occasionally we have a helicopter fly right over the field at 400-500ft. This is the biggest hazard.

Last summer I installed an altimeter in my 1/4 scale Cub. I can turn the altimeter reporting off and on at the transmitter so on my first flight I left it off and climbed out to what I estimated to be 400ft, turned it on and it reported 590ft. We have a unwritten agreement that turbine jets will not be flown at this field because the field is not compatible for high performance models.

I estimate that 75% of the flights at Cherry Creek now are electric powered. This type of model is more compatible with current conditions because the electric powered flier can better hear an approaching full scale.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:59 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I submit that based on influential organizations like this favoring a strict 400' limit, it's not a matter of IF one is put in place, but merely a matter of HOW SOON one is put in place.

http://atwonline.com/safety/editorial-good-rule#
Still goes back to, how to accurately measure the violator. We did an experiment at the one field that was 2.2nm from the center of a control towered airport. Majority thought 400' was a lot higher then it is in reality. At that time, we had a member that was working on a UAS with flight control, GPS and programmable altitude hold. Nearly everyone thought the aircraft was lower then 400 feet when programmed to fly the pattern at 400'. Guess it is time to just fly like the War Bird guys......around in circles with an occasional roll and be happy. Anyone and everyone can keep a Cub under 400'.

My 3.2m Extra going by at 399' in knife edge.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 105.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	2138551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 013.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2138552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 059.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	366.6 KB
ID:	2138553  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.