Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Old 01-11-2016, 08:23 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FALCONSNEST
Common sense must prevail no matter where you are flying or what you are flying. SEE AND AVOID FULL SIZE AIRCRAFT!
lol, it seems that some peoples version of common sense is what got us into this in the first place and according to the FAA it wasn't just a couple of people
Old 01-11-2016, 08:42 AM
FALCONSNEST

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonkoppisch
lol, it seems that some peoples version of common sense is what got us into this in the first place and according to the FAA it wasn't just a couple of people
That's right, one man's common sense is another man's nonsense.

These are the people we need to watch out for . . .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fantasm.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	2140896  
Old 01-11-2016, 11:49 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I sat through the FAA presentation at the AMA convention yesterday, I believe the AMA has posted the whole of it (over 1 hour) on Youtube.

You can see it for yourselves, but the take away I got was nothing has changed with regard to 400 feet. You can fly over it if you are operating safely, and the FAA is looking at tweaking the language of the registration pages. Anyway you can watch it yourself.

EDIT the best part is that the AMA is saying 100% it is not a hard statutory limit, so you can whip that out to your "enthusiastic" club members and board members who believe 400 feet is a hard limit.

Last edited by mr_matt; 01-11-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:44 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I sat through the FAA presentation at the AMA convention yesterday, I believe the AMA has posted the whole of it (over 1 hour) on Youtube.

You can see it for yourselves, but the take away I got was nothing has changed with regard to 400 feet. You can fly over it if you are operating safely, and the FAA is looking at tweaking the language of the registration pages. Anyway you can watch it yourself.

EDIT the best part is that the AMA is saying 100% it is not a hard statutory limit, so you can whip that out to your "enthusiastic" club members and board members who believe 400 feet is a hard limit.
Excellent news Matt.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:06 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr_matt

Originally Posted by ravill
Excellent news Matt.
mr_matt Where.s the URL man?

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...ion&font=serif
Old 01-11-2016, 05:37 PM
mr_matt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOeoHJZdwuw
Old 01-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The AMA press release I read today basically says we are all signing up with FAA thru our AMA membership and we will be using our AMA number instead of a gov one. That is what see in that letter dated today.
Vin...
Old 01-11-2016, 06:13 PM
mr_matt

Vin I dont think the AMA worded that release very well, I hope I am wrong, but I don't think they had a breakthrough with the FAA. Like I said I hope I am wrong.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:30 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent
The AMA press release I read today basically says we are all signing up with FAA thru our AMA membership and we will be using our AMA number instead of a gov one. That is what see in that letter dated today.
Vin...
The way I read the release is that the AMA is working with the FAA to that end, But the AMA is not in a position at this time to say for sure that will happen or when.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:32 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Matt...it sounded to me like we are going to sign up with the FAA and its going to be a future renewal benefit with our membership. They are kind of saying go sign up before the 19th while its for free
Vin...
Old 01-11-2016, 06:49 PM
mr_matt

Yes, at the convention they were trying to work something out and both the AMA and the FAA said their IT groups said it was impossible in the near term. I might wait anyway.

I THINK (just my opinion) that the AMA was in a bit of a bind, if they had people go to the Feb 19th and not sign up (and then achieve no breakthrough with the FAA) and then a bunch of people loose the 5 bucks they would never hear the end of it.

I think it is good that the AMA is saying that CDs don't have to check for the FAA registration and that no AMA safety code changes are needed. We need that to keep clubs (and certain members) from freaking out.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:22 PM
TTRotary

Originally Posted by Vincent
Vin...
I just signed up. You get a separate identifier. Nothing to do with AMA, and no reference to AMA on the FAA website - they don't seem to exist as far as the FAA is concerned.

Also, the altitude rule is crystal-clear: "Fly below 400 feet". Nothing about being near an airport or not, nothing about jets getting to go higher, and nothing about being special because you are an AMA member.

Is anyone besides the AMA surprised? I'm not.

Last edited by TTRotary; 01-11-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:04 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

During the Q&A on the Video at the AMA expo the FAA guy stated it is just a guideline and so did the AMA representative on the video. Don't get me wrong I to feel like it will be law when they get final approval. The only hope is that on the video there was a lot of talk about reviewing it when it comes to Model aviation at a CBO site like AMA.

Keep in mind if you have a 55+ pound aircraft that is not required to have registration number and I would think nothing else would apply...I really not sure at this time. Yes if they make a blanket rule (law) then we are done.

I can't believe that will happen to the recreational AMA or CBO approved flying sites.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:21 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
I just signed up. You get a separate identifier. Nothing to do with AMA, and no reference to AMA on the FAA website - they don't seem to exist as far as the FAA is concerned.

Also, the altitude rule is crystal-clear: "Fly below 400 feet". Nothing about being near an airport or not, nothing about jets getting to go higher, and nothing about being special because you are an AMA member.

Is anyone besides the AMA surprised? I'm not.
Again, wrong - on two threads!

Bob
Old 01-11-2016, 08:37 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Matt, I was there as well, would have liked to shake hands and talked jets (instead of FAA for a change!)
Old 01-11-2016, 08:49 PM
TTRotary

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Again, wrong - on two threads!

Bob
Stop being an ass Bob. Go online, register yourself, read carefully what you are saying you will do and not do as a FAA-registered sUAS operator. The tell me you are fine flying your jet to 1000AGL.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:41 PM
BarracudaHockey

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

They already started changing the wording on the reg site
Old 01-11-2016, 10:29 PM
TTRotary

The following from the NPRM, soon to be law, should be noted:

IV. Examples of Regulations That Apply to Model Aircraft
The FAA could apply several regulations in part 91 when determining whether to take enforcement action against a model aircraft operator for endangering the NAS. The FAA’s general operating and flight rules are housed in part 91 of the FAA’s regulations. These rules are the baseline rules that apply to all aircraft operated in the United States with limited exceptions,
[SUP]14 and are the appropriate rules to apply when evaluating model aircraft operations. See 14 CFR 91.1. [/SUP]
[SUP]Rules relevant to these operations fall generally into three categories: (1) how the aircraft is operated; (2) operating rules for designated airspace; and, (3) special restrictions such as temporary flight restrictions (TFRs) and notices to airmen (NOTAMs). These rules are discussed in greater detail below. [/SUP]
[SUP]Rules addressing operation of the aircraft may include prohibitions on careless or reckless operation and dropping objects so as to create a hazard to persons or property. See 14 CFR 91.13 through 91.15. Additionally, § 91.113 establishes right-of-way rules for converging aircraft.[/SUP]
[SUP]15 [/SUP]
[SUP]Model aircraft that do not comply with those rules could be subject to FAA enforcement action.

And the following, from AC 91-57:

[/SUP]

e.Model aircraft operators should follow best practices including limiting operations to 400 feet above ground level (AGL).

Therefore, if you are observed to have exceeded 400AGL, you are considered to represent an endangerment to the NAS and are subject to enforcement action. Especially after you have certified you would limit operations to 400AGL in the process of registering yourself as a UAS operator (you have acknowledged the requirements on the FAA website). So, my view is that even though my piece of paper says "guideline" I remain fully at risk of being prosecuted for NAS endangerment if I am observed to have exceeded it.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:44 PM
ira d

The FAA could apply several regulations in part 91 when determining whether to take enforcement action against a model aircraft operator for endangering the NAS. The FAA’s general operating and flight rules are housed in part 91 of the FAA’s regulations. These rules are the baseline rules that apply to all aircraft operated in the United States with limited exceptions,
[SUP]14 and are the appropriate rules to apply when evaluating model aircraft operations. See 14 CFR 91.1. [/SUP]
[SUP]Rules relevant to these operations fall generally into three categories: (1) how the aircraft is operated; (2) operating rules for designated airspace; and, (3) special restrictions such as temporary flight restrictions (TFRs) and notices to airmen (NOTAMs). These rules are discussed in greater detail below. [/SUP]
[SUP]Rules addressing operation of the aircraft may include prohibitions on careless or reckless operation and dropping objects so as to create a hazard to persons or property. See 14 CFR 91.13 through 91.15. Additionally, § 91.113 establishes right-of-way rules for converging aircraft.[/SUP]
[SUP]15 [/SUP]
[SUP]Model aircraft that do not comply with those rules could be subject to FAA enforcement action.

[/SUP]

e.Model aircraft operators should follow best practices including limiting operations to 400 feet above ground level (AGL).

Therefore, if you are observed to have exceeded 400AGL, you are considered to represent an endangerment to the NAS and are subject to enforcement action. Especially after you have certified you would limit operations to 400AGL in the process of registering yourself as a UAS operator (you have acknowledged the requirements on the FAA website). So, my view is that even though my piece of paper says "guideline" I remain fully at risk of being prosecuted for NAS endangerment if I am observed to have exceeded it.
I will start out by saying I don't know for sure but I don't think the 400' limit will be that big of deal until we conflict with full scale operations and that will be when the FAA will use the registering agreement to
hang us with. I could be wrong but until the FAA puts out some clear and concise language we cant be sure.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:45 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
They already started changing the wording on the reg site
What did they change?
Old 01-12-2016, 04:41 AM
Sport_Pilot

Also, the altitude rule is crystal-clear: "Fly below 400 feet".
How is that crystal clear? It says nothing about not flying above 400 feet. We will all fly below 400 feet anyway.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by ira d
The way I read the release is that the AMA is working with the FAA to that end, But the AMA is not in a position at this time to say for sure that will happen or when.
They have an agreement to do this, Not just working.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

Stop being an ass Bob. Go online, register yourself, read carefully what you are saying you will do and not do as a FAA-registered sUAS operator. The tell me you are fine flying your jet to 1000AGL.
It says you are acknowledging that there is a guideline. Says nothing about flying above 400 feet. The FAA even admitted it is a guideline, not regulations.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

[SUP]15 [/SUP]

[/SUP]

The AC is voluntary, the FAA would only use that as additional proof that you are flying recklessly. Also this is the discussion part of the NPRM, this was not inserted in the proposed regulation.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what the FAA is really concerned about. He just got it and doesn't know how it works but flies it until its gone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4refzhmxks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.