Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Stahl
This is what the FAA is really concerned about. He just got it and doesn't know how it works but flies it until its gone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4refzhmxks
And nothing the FAA just did will deter that from happening.

What they just did will probably have the opposite effect. If the FAA would get behind and support groups like the AMA to promote the hobby with safety, training etc it could limit some of these kinds of things. At the very least it would be better than what they are doing.

For example. If the FAA would encourage and promote, maybe even sponsor demonstrations and events around drones and model aviation, encourage the public to join AMA or drone enthusiast groups it would help educate safety factors. And PROMOTE safe flying sites, AMA or otherwise. Maybe list places that someone can fly safely! When the news is running their scary infomercials maybe list a website for safe flying places, clubs for help.

DC area for ex. If you're driving through the neighborhood and you see a kid in the front yard messing with his drone like the one in the video you'll probably pull over and tell him he's not allowed to fly it in a 30 mile radius around DC. That he could be fined 250k or 3'years in jail. Before, you would probably stop and help him, hover around the front yard a little. Tell him about the safety aspect, don't fly over people and nowhere near full scale aircraft. Then invite him to a club or park..
Old 01-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct the registration will not stop the stupid and ignorant. It also will not stop the terrorists they are probably really afraid of.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:38 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is AMA's position on the 400 ft. guideline, straight from "Update - UAS Registration FAQ's" on AMA's website.

Q: Am I permitted to fly above 400 feet? What if I had to check a box saying otherwise on the federal registration website?
A: Yes. AMA members who abide by the AMA Safety Code, which permits flights above 400 feet under appropriate circumstances, and are protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft under the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. Checking the box on the federal registration webpage signifies an understanding of the 400 foot guideline. This is an important safety principle that all UAS operators need to be aware of, and is the same guideline established in AC 91-57 published in 1981. However, the placement of this guideline on the FAA website is intended as an educational piece and more specifically intended for those operating outside of AMA’s safey program. We have been in discussions with the FAA about this point and the agency has indicted that it will be updating its website in the next week to make clear that this altitude guideline is not intended to supplant the guidance and safety procedures established in AMA’s safety program.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:43 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Stop being an ass Bob. Go online, register yourself, read carefully what you are saying you will do and not do as a FAA-registered sUAS operator. The tell me you are fine flying your jet to 1000AGL.
I am fine, and legal flying my jet to 1000 AGL - although I rarely do so - and ALWAYS according to the AMA safety code. Read the information on this issue posted by the AMA and quoted in the post above.

I am not being an *****.

I strongly urge everyone to get the information from a reliable source - in this case, our national organization, the AMA. They are the ones with a direct link to the FAA and can get the *correct* information right from the source.

Bob Klenke
JPO President
Old 01-12-2016, 11:10 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Ok so here is the way I see...everyone shouldn't worry what about if some one is right or wrong. If a club member doesn't want to register so be it. If you think because they haven't register or he or she is breaking the rules like the 400ft so be it. It's not require for you to be police or to notify them of the what you believe is wrong. It is up the local official and or FAA to handle it if they see fit.
The FAA is trying it's best to handle the large influx of the new drones. Find a way to control them and keep the public safe. That is their job.

They are not after the traditional modelers. If they are so be it. Let me guess no one ever breaks the speed limit on the highway....

Until the AMA tells the clubs that they are required to have the members register for the membership to be valid don't worry about.

You do what you think is right in your mind. let everyone make there own choice as that they think the rules mean. You fly like you want don't worry about the others.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:11 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jws_aces
Ok so here is the way I see...everyone shouldn't worry what about if some one is right or wrong. If a club member doesn't want to register so be it. If you think because they haven't register or he or she is breaking the rules like the 400ft so be it. It's not require for you to be police or to notify them of the what you believe is wrong. It is up the local official and or FAA to handle it if they see fit.
The FAA is trying it's best to handle the large influx of the new drones. Find a way to control them and keep the public safe. That is their job.

They are not after the traditional modelers. If they are so be it. Let me guess no one ever breaks the speed limit on the highway....

Until the AMA tells the clubs that they are required to have the members register for the membership to be valid don't worry about.

You do what you think is right in your mind. let everyone make there own choice as that they think the rules mean. You fly like you want don't worry about the others.
Jeff,

I agree with you - everyone has the right to believe that their opinion is right or wrong - whether, in fact it is or isn't.

The problem comes when someone tries to enforce their opinion of a "rule" without knowing the facts. The AMA has been pretty timely lately in keeping members informed on what is, and is not allowed. I simply urge people to follow that guidance - which is developed on concert with the FAA, instead of following (and trying to force others to follow) personal opinions of someone who is incorrect.

Looking forward to seeing your new Hawk! Hopefully we'll have our ME-262 (twin P-120's) out and about this season...

Bob
Old 01-12-2016, 12:41 PM
jws_aces

Bob sounds good...

See at 1000ft AGL

Jeff
Old 01-12-2016, 12:51 PM
TTRotary

Originally Posted by joeflyer
Here is AMA's position on the 400 ft. guideline, straight from "Update - UAS Registration FAQ's" on AMA's website.

Q: Am I permitted to fly above 400 feet? What if I had to check a box saying otherwise on the federal registration website?
A: Yes. AMA members who abide by the AMA Safety Code, which permits flights above 400 feet under appropriate circumstances, and are protected by the Special Rule for Model Aircraft under the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. Checking the box on the federal registration webpage signifies an understanding of the 400 foot guideline. This is an important safety principle that all UAS operators need to be aware of, and is the same guideline established in AC 91-57 published in 1981. However, the placement of this guideline on the FAA website is intended as an educational piece and more specifically intended for those operating outside of AMA’s safey program. We have been in discussions with the FAA about this point and the agency has indicted that it will be updating its website in the next week to make clear that this altitude guideline is not intended to supplant the guidance and safety procedures established in AMA’s safety program.
Thank you for this post. It is the virtually the only useful information seen in this thread. Let's see if the FAA comes through on its promise.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:31 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

During the Q&A on the Video at the AMA expo the FAA guy stated it is just a guideline and so did the AMA representative on the video. Don't get me wrong I to feel like it will be law when they get final approval. The only hope is that on the video there was a lot of talk about reviewing it when it comes to Model aviation at a CBO site like AMA.

Keep in mind if you have a 55+ pound aircraft that is not required to have registration number and I would think nothing else would apply...I really not sure at this time. Yes if they make a blanket rule (law) then we are done.

I can't believe that will happen to the recreational AMA or CBO approved flying sites.
Just did my registration and if you fly over 55lbs you must do the paper registration instead of the online.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:57 PM
TTRotary

Originally Posted by rhklenke
I am fine, and legal flying my jet to 1000 AGL - although I rarely do so - and ALWAYS according to the AMA safety code. Read the information on this issue posted by the AMA and quoted in the post above.

I am not being an *****.

I strongly urge everyone to get the information from a reliable source - in this case, our national organization, the AMA. They are the ones with a direct link to the FAA and can get the *correct* information right from the source.

Bob Klenke
JPO President
Yes, you are being an ass Bob. Information from a reliable source... that's precious coming from the guy who was instructing people 10 days ago that they could meet FAA registration requirements through the AMA, among other completely incorrect comments. You are NOT a subject matter expert here, and you are in no position to be "correcting" others or imposing your own opinion. You made a comment elsewhere about numb-nuts behavior and people doing things they know are wrong. That includes you bragging on a public forum about flying to 1000AGL after right after you agreed in a certification that you would maintain flight ops at or below 400AGL. That's just plain stupid, in addition to being irresponsible. I certainly hope your stance does not represent the official position of the JPO, since it is an AMA SIG.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:02 PM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by junkjet
Just did my registration and if you fly over 55lbs you must do the paper registration instead of the online.
That is only for commercial use. The 55lb and larger approved by the AMA under the LMA1 or LMA2 process is exempt.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:21 PM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl...stration-form/

I'ts OK for AMA members to lie.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:29 PM
racer8297
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys. You need to spool this down a notch or two.

Bob is not an a**. In fact, he is one of the most learned and upstanding people in this hobby. I thank him for taking the time to try and explain what is going on at this very confusing and emotional time.

Everyone it entitled to their opinion but name calling on this forum is a down right shame. Read the posts you want, don't read the one's you don't. But none of us is better than the other. So take a deep breath and move on.

Thank you Bob for all your efforts! How's Louis doing?

Jim
Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 PM
TTRotary

Originally Posted by racer8297
Bob is not an a**. Everyone it entitled to their opinion but name calling on this forum is a down right shame.
Jim
I asked him to stop behaving like an ass, not that he is one. The fact is that he has been totally out of line in this thread, and I am calling him on it. I am also calling him on taking a completely irresponsible stance (as an "upstanding hobbyist") with respect to the FAA registration conditions we are all having to agree to. It is unacceptable to publicly flout the FAA directives, which clearly state, as a condition to registration: "I will fly below 400 feet". As an AMA member and jet flyer who wants to see our hobby survive this situation, I object to this stance. Being an upstanding person includes behaving in a responsible manner which protects our interests.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:01 PM
jws_aces

I asked him to stop behaving like an ass, not that he is one. The fact is that he has been totally out of line in this thread, and I am calling him on it. I am also calling him on taking a completely irresponsible stance (as an "upstanding hobbyist") with respect to the FAA registration conditions we are all having to agree to. It is unacceptable to publicly flout the FAA directives, which clearly state, as a condition to registration: "I will fly below 400 feet". As an AMA member and jet flyer who wants to see our hobby survive this situation, I object to this stance. Being an upstanding person includes behaving in a responsible manner which protects our interests.
I am sorry sir but I think you are being a little bit out of line. Bob is the President of JPO and I hope you know what that is being a proclaim jet pilot. What everyone is doing is giving their interpretation of what the FAA is doing. So just pull back on your horses and just wait and see what happens next. If you want to contribute please do. Don't argue that is for the Lawyers.

By the way did I say I hate Lawyers.

We all need to get along and not point fingers.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:06 PM
TTRotary

Bob is the President of JPO and I hope you know what that is being a proclaim jet pilot.
I know exactly who he is, and that is why I am criticizing him. Bob is an accomplished and expert modeler and I have enjoyed and appreciated his threads on building and so on. But that does not dispense him from responsible behavior. I am sorry this has gone in the direction it has, but I am not one to hold my tongue.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:33 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

It is what is. What isn't, will be what it will be. Worrying and stressing out about things you can not control only serves to shorten your life. In time, all things become more clear. In the meantime, it is time to build a new jet/plane/heli or what ever model turns your crank!
Old 01-12-2016, 07:35 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

That is only for commercial use. The 55lb and larger approved by the AMA under the LMA1 or LMA2 process is exempt.
I don't think it's going to be that easy. If you fly over 55lbs none of the regs apply!! Really. If you use your model for Comercial or if you are going to fly outside the US or if you fly over 55lbs and on and so forth. You must do a paper registration.

Last edited by junkjet; 01-12-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:31 AM
mackeyjones

If you guys expended as much energy in promoting Model Flying as you do ripping into each other on the forums, the hobby would jump ahead in leaps and bounds. It seems to me from what has been posted now that the compromise between AMA and FAA is, if you are an AMA member as long as you follow the AMA guidelines as model pilots of whatever discipline Jets, I.C. U.A.V. and Helicopters you are fine. The FAA it seems to me, are concerned with the people operating outside those AMA guidelines, and endangering aircraft, people or property. Denying that there is a problem with people doing stupid things with Drones that are likely to cause problems is just burying your head in the sand, and someone has to be in a legal position to do something about it. A quick search and you will see that there are a lot of incidents in restricted airspace.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:21 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by jonkoppisch
DC area for ex. If you're driving through the neighborhood and you see a kid in the front yard messing with his drone like the one in the video you'll probably pull over and tell him he's not allowed to fly it in a 30 mile radius around DC. That he could be fined 250k or 3'years in jail.
In some places in and around DC, people don't take kindly to anyone telling them what to do..
Old 01-13-2016, 03:26 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mackeyjones
If you guys expended as much energy in promoting Model Flying as you do ripping into each other on the forums, the hobby would jump ahead in leaps and bounds. It seems to me from what has been posted now that the compromise between AMA and FAA is, if you are an AMA member as long as you follow the AMA guidelines as model pilots of whatever discipline Jets, I.C. U.A.V. and Helicopters you are fine. The FAA it seems to me, are concerned with the people operating outside those AMA guidelines, and endangering aircraft, people or property. Denying that there is a problem with people doing stupid things with Drones that are likely to cause problems is just burying your head in the sand, and someone has to be in a legal position to do something about it. A quick search and you will see that there are a lot of incidents in restricted airspace.
The problem is the risk to full scale. AG pilots, helicopters for various types, light civils in sparsely populated areas, and thousands of military training routes around the country. On the latter, aircraft can fly below 500' AGL and at speeds of 480KIAS or higher. Routes can be 32 miles wide in places - how comfortable am I that all these responsible AMA members know where they are, when they're in operation? Dunno, but suspect not many. More importantly, aircraft sometimes exit those routes VFR for any number of reasons. How are they to know that sUAS/UAS in the area are flown by AMA members, and thus enjoy special privileges to fly above 400' or are sUAS/UAS operated by unwashed masses that have to remain below that?

I'm in favor of a single standard for all non-commercial sUAS/UAS operations without regard for CBO membership status. I think it makes a compelling case for safety of manned aircraft that operate at 500' AGL or so much more often than many think.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:31 AM
mackeyjones

Originally Posted by franklin_m
The problem is the risk to full scale. AG pilots, helicopters for various types, light civils in sparsely populated areas, and thousands of military training routes around the country. On the latter, aircraft can fly below 500' AGL and at speeds of 480KIAS or higher. Routes can be 32 miles wide in places - how comfortable am I that all these responsible AMA members know where they are, when they're in operation? Dunno, but suspect not many. More importantly, aircraft sometimes exit those routes VFR for any number of reasons. How are they to know that sUAS/UAS in the area are flown by AMA members, and thus enjoy special privileges to fly above 400' or are sUAS/UAS operated by unwashed masses that have to remain below that? I'm in favor of a single standard for all non-commercial sUAS/UAS operations without regard for CBO membership status. I think it makes a compelling case for safety of manned aircraft that operate at 500' AGL or so much more often than many think.
It seems to me that if you are operating as per the AMA then this shouldn't be an issue, yup just went and read it....If your flying at an AMA Field it should meet the requirements that safeguard against interference with full size aircraft. If your flying from your own property then you should be making sure that it meets those requirements too. While I understand your side of it, I think the FAA and the AMA could work together a lot more effectively. In AUS we already have the 400" limit, and full size Aircraft also have their minimum 500". At one of the fields I fly at we regularly had overflights, that included a regular appearance from a Helo spraying mossies at low level, as well as overflights from a tigermoth.. The club had systems in place that dealt with these issues. Model Airfields can also apply for 1000" limit for special occasions, and some have a standard 1000" ceiling. CASA puts out a NOTAM to cover it the same as it does with properly conducted Commercial UAV operations when required. In all my years of model flying, full size pilots often made the worst R/C pilots due to their attitude that just because they fly full size that should make them a better R/C Pilot. And yet again you seem to try and put yourself above every one else, I am quite sure that the unwashed masses probably think your a bit of a twat. I am quite sure that if you lost the attitude, spent some time at model fields and actually tried to get along, you would enjoy the hobby and the people in it quite a lot more.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yes, you are being an ass Bob. Information from a reliable source... that's precious coming from the guy who was instructing people 10 days ago that they could meet FAA registration requirements through the AMA, among other completely incorrect comments. You are NOT a subject matter expert here, and you are in no position to be "correcting" others or imposing your own opinion. You made a comment elsewhere about numb-nuts behavior and people doing things they know are wrong. That includes you bragging on a public forum about flying to 1000AGL after right after you agreed in a certification that you would maintain flight ops at or below 400AGL. That's just plain stupid, in addition to being irresponsible. I certainly hope your stance does not represent the official position of the JPO, since it is an AMA SIG.
I suggest you read page 173 of the sUAV NPRM. Find where they say to fly below 400 feet in part 101? See page 172.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic..._signature.pdf
Old 01-13-2016, 05:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Actually Bob is more correct than you are. I suggest you actually read the AMA rules, regulations and NPRM's before telling others they are an *****.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:11 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by mackeyjones
I agree. I think that AMA has mostly convinced the FAA that the AMA members are not the problem. I don't think that was the case a year ago or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.