Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FAA's Enforcable 400 Feet = Death to Jets?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:49 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I suspect there will be a lot of 54 pound models about
Old 01-15-2016, 02:00 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by F106A
They are using the part of the rule that states: “if the FAA deems there is a safety risk to the NAS, then they can do whatever they want.”

From Day 1 of the 336 AMA/US Congress debacle, I have said the same thing.

FAA will claim it is for safety (alot like other "do gooders" on this thread are arguing ad infinitum). That will trump everything else and then it is up to the courts.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:00 PM
TTRotary

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Copy all. I went searching on the web and in about 5 minutes of searching, found video from cockpit showing one of these waiver holders flying over occupied buildings, over roads with cars, etc. And of course there's any number of them in these pages joking about never exceeding 199.99999MPH. There's a reason the AMA has a radar gun they offer to CDs. There's a reason well respected guys like BV are writing to members asking them to not violate the rules. If it wasn't happening, he wouldn't write those letters.

Even discussions of recommending flight below 400' but tolerating it above that when "necessary" and when "safe." We've already seen from these videos there is not a consistent level of risk tolerance, and I'd argue what is "necessary" to one is not "necessary" to others. If there was to be some more precise definitions in this respect, my comfort level would go up.

But I'm not comfortable letting someone who jokes about the speed limit being the one who decides what's "safe" and what's not.
Exactly. This thread in particular has been a sh*t show of stupid comments and irresponsible behavior, and it puts the entire hobby and particularly the jet/turbine side of it in a terrible light. This is too bad, because the vast majority of turbine waiver holders are responsible and consummate pilots who strive for a high level of professionalism in how they fly and how they maintain their aircraft. I suspect half the offenders in here are desk internet jockeys anyway - some of the claims around doing aerobatic routines at 200mph would suggest they don't even understand the basic physics of flying a heavily wing-loaded model. I hope that AMA and FAA reps are not viewing this particular thread, and have a more nuanced opinion of the hobby.

We are giving full-scale all the ammo they need to shut this down altogether.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:07 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 01-15-2016, 02:38 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by HoundDog

O Heck here is the FAR pertaining to Your Over 55 lb experimental.

[HR][/HR]§91.205 Powered civil aircraft with standard category U.S. airworthiness certificates: Instrument and equipment requirements.
]
Hound Dog, you are so full of BS! Those regs are only for factory built man carrying aircraft....Cessna, Piper, etc.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:10 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
. I suspect half the offenders in here are desk internet jockeys anyway - some of the claims around doing aerobatic routines at 200mph would suggest they don't even understand the basic physics of flying a heavily wing-loaded model.
TT, you seem to be the "desk Internet jockeys", with some of your comments. Your favorite radio is a DX7 and a Gee Bee R3. Do you even fly jets? Or just here to argue with everyone? You made Mr Matt speechless after your comment!!
I am a retired Jet Capt, and totally understand flying jets. Can I still learn something, yes, but I haven't seen anything that you have added to my forum as informational and contribute to a good conversation.
As far as making claims at doing aerobatic with a heavy wing loaded jet wing at 200 mph, I can claim it for truth. I have videos of my F-18 and CARF Flash, of which both jets were capable of over 200mph, doing large loops, humpty bumps, Immelmann's, and other large maneuvers. This is why I posted the forum, is that it is impossible to do those maneuvers with a heavy wing loaded jet at 150-200mph and stay under 400'.
Time to take your arguments to another forum. Dan
Old 01-15-2016, 03:11 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

[h=1]Drones for Good: Superhero UAVs Compete for $1 Million Prize[/h]

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/drones-fo...154846719.html
Old 01-15-2016, 03:23 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Why in the world would any Sane Pilotwant to fly around the local area at 500' AGL (Where they know there are R/C fields are located or at least should. along with a myriad of other hazards to aerial navigation. You have to be a real Idiot to go cross country at 500'AGL for many reasons the least being an engine failure where U have about 37.5 seconds to realize U have an engine failure find a safe place and execute a forced survivable off air port landing. Just because U can fly at 500' doesn't make it right to operate a Certified aircraft at that altitude for any reason other for T.O. & Landing. If U are doing it to stay VFR U should Kill Yourself to get U out of the gene Pool. Just don't take anyone with U.
As an after note Being at our R/C field In a higher than normal air traffic area I saw one air plane ( a primary trainer) Long wings T-tail Rotax motor fly directly right over our field. I'd bet it is one of the planes from this certain flight school at Falcon Field where Pilots have been told to report anything they see no mater what as a NEAR MISS.
You truely know nothing.

Ever heard of crop dusting, aerial mosquito control, medevac chopper flights? All of these operate safely at 500' AGL and below daily all around the country/world. These guys (im one of them for my profession) operate with the HIGHEST level of proffessionalism and cognisance because WE HAVE TO! If we arent "eyes on a swivel" there are tons of things out there that could potentially kill us.

You sir need to step back into your computer warrior cave. Those comments are flat out moronic and insulting. They show your true character and morals bu wishing death upon hundreds of proffessionals across the world who risk their lives to make YOURS better/safer.

I have ~1000hrs of operation at 500' agl and below. 75% of which is at 300' AT NIGHT. 100% of these operations are performed Legally with FAA approval over congestes areas (houston, miami, columbia, dallas, sacramento, salt lake city, new orleans, orlando, daytona beach, virginia beach, WASHINGTON DC).

Just bc you think you know something about aviation means nothing. The FAA issues special waivers every year for odd operations that you guys would never even think you would do in an airplane.

Last edited by invertmast; 01-15-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:30 PM
TTRotary

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
TT, you seem to be the "desk Internet jockeys", with some of your comments. Your favorite radio is a DX7 and a Gee Bee R3. Do you even fly jets? Or just here to argue with everyone? You made Mr Matt speechless after your comment!!
I am a retired Jet Capt, and totally understand flying jets. Can I still learn something, yes, but I haven't seen anything that you have added to my forum as informational and contribute to a good conversation.
As far as making claims at doing aerobatic with a heavy wing loaded jet wing at 200 mph, I can claim it for truth. I have videos of my F-18 and CARF Flash, of which both jets were capable of over 200mph, doing large loops, humpty bumps, Immelmann's, and other large maneuvers. This is why I posted the forum, is that it is impossible to do those maneuvers with a heavy wing loaded jet at 150-200mph and stay under 400'.
Time to take your arguments to another forum. Dan
My jets (Skymaster F-15, CJM F-104, and my Flash) fly on a JR XG-11. I have several other radios, including a trusty DX-7 for my Helis. ANd yes, I have 3 Gee Bess because I like them. All the way from a 49" one to a 78" one. One of the reasons I have them is because if you can fly them, you can fly anything. Any other silly comments Dan?

And while we're poking fun at each other's flying abilities, I will remind you that you claim to be a CD but somehow forgot key parts of the AMA's Turbine safety guidelines, which include a rule (not a suggestion) that the model shall not exceed 200MPH.

You also got kicked off one field, wonder why cops are watching you fly, and have been ramped in your full scale career for god-knows-what.

How about a little test Dan: assuming you have executed a level pass at 199.99MPH and 100feet, and have just pulled elevator to execute a constant-radius loop which you will exit at 199.99MPH and 900AGL, how many G's are you pulling at 500feet?
Old 01-15-2016, 03:57 PM
TTRotary

Since Dan apparently can't formulate an answer (despite claiming to be a seasoned full scale pilot), we have...drumroll... nearly 7Gs. On Dan's 33lb F-18, that would be nearly 250lb of force acting on those little 6.5sq ft wings. Wing loading would approach 615oz/sq foot, which means the wing would stall at that angle of attack and velocity, assuming it could survive structural loads it was never designed for. The loop cannot be completed, and the plane has most likely disintegrated mid-air. So much for Dan's 200MPH aerobatic program.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:23 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by invertmast
You truely know nothing.

Ever heard of crop dusting, aerial mosquito control, medevac chopper flights? All of these operate safely at 500' AGL and below daily all around the country/world. These guys (im one of them for my profession) operate with the HIGHEST level of proffessionalism and cognisance because WE HAVE TO! If we arent "eyes on a swivel" there are tons of things out there that could potentially kill us.

You sir need to step back into your computer warrior cave. Those comments are flat out moronic and insulting. They show your true character and morals bu wishing death upon hundreds of proffessionals across the world who risk their lives to make YOURS better/safer.

I have ~1000hrs of operation at 500' agl and below. 75% of which is at 300' AT NIGHT. 100% of these operations are performed Legally with FAA approval over congestes areas (houston, miami, columbia, dallas, sacramento, salt lake city, new orleans, orlando, daytona beach, virginia beach, WASHINGTON DC).

Just bc you think you know something about aviation means nothing. The FAA issues special waivers every year for odd operations that you guys would never even think you would do in an airplane.
Read my Post again I said nothing about PROFESSIONALS. I'm speaking of the PPP Piss Poor Pilots that don't have the common sense to keep from playing fighter pilot down LOW.

Congratulation on still being alive. Tell me Just how many R/C model airplanes have U seen in the Thousands of hours U have been doing
"operation at 500' agl and below. 75% of which is at 300' AT NIGHT" How many of these R/C Model planes U have seen Below 500' have considered as a "NEAR MISS" Then just how many R/C Models have U even seen in your thousands of hours of professional flying below 300' AT NIGHT.

I'd bet that If U have seen any R/C Models none have been anywhere close to being a danger. How many of the thousands of Professional do U know that have been endangered or even seen an R/C model airplane near enough to be of any concern.

Now if U R speaking of DRONES Quads Multi-Rotors or what ever than I might agree with U But not Traditional R/C TOY Model Airplanes or Helios especially anything starting at 40 size and up.

The Only Place the problem of R/C TOYs (QUADs/MR's/DRONES) being of any Problem is near Large airports in Class B airspace. Just for reference here is a URL to all the Class B air space in the USA.
29 VFR Class B Enhancement Graphics

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig...s/vfr_class_b/

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-15-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:46 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

OK guys I have been watching this thread for days now and have been pleasantly surprised by the polite behavior of those participating.

THEN TODAY ONE OR TWO OF YOU BLEW IT BIG TIME !

I am not going to shut the thread down as it is one that has serious implications for the way jets are flown but I must remind participants that the rules of posting apply.

INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE:
The use of inappropriate, offensive language or language substitutions are not permitted on RCUniverse.com. Inappropriate or offensive language includes, but is not limited to, any language or content that is sexually oriented, sexually suggestive or abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, or that contains racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind. We ask that you please be considerate to other members in the forums when posting your messages. RCU is a place that is friendly to members of all ages and that parents know is safe for kids. We will not allow linking, mention or reference to any website or organization that contains any of the aforementioned objectionable content. Any posts or links made to websites containing such will be removed and a warning given.

HARASSMENT & FLAMING:
RCU members are not permitted to harass or "flame" other members. Please do not post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. Please note that this also includes the posting of taunts on a forum solely for the purpose of demeaning that forum's topic and/or members.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:57 PM
RCFlyerDan

And while we're poking fun at each other's flying abilities, I will remind you that you claim to be a CD but somehow forgot key parts of the AMA's Turbine safety guidelines, which include a rule (not a suggestion) that the model shall not exceed 200MPH.

You also got kicked off one field, wonder why cops are watching you fly, and have been ramped in your full scale career for god-knows-what.

How about a little test Dan: assuming you have executed a level pass at 199.99MPH and 100feet, and have just pulled elevator to execute a constant-radius loop which you will exit at 199.99MPH and 900AGL, how many G's are you pulling at 500feet?
One: I have other things to do on Friday night, then to sit in front of the computer. As a CD, yes I know that the speed limit is 200mph. I said they were "capable of over 200". Had a 36# derated thrust engine in the Flash. Not sure what you have in yours, but if you have some thrust, you know there is a reason CARF called it the "Flash". At that field, we actually had a FAA guy from FSDO, that was learning how to fly r/c. He used to spot for me, so I have no issues flying in front of law enforcement or any one from the AMA.
Two: I never got "kicked off of the previous flying field or out of the Club". I had arguments with incoming Presidents, who flew foamies, thought 400' was a hard limit, and didn't understand jets. This would totally ruin many days at the flying field. I mentioned cops are at our field in CC, due to one, it being a public park, so they come out to sit by the road to do what I guess is computer work. This parking time is due to fuel economy of most law enforcement, so they watch our planes for entertainment.
Three: Again, you took out of context! I have only been "ramped" 3 times in 20 years of flying turbine aircraft, and there by saying that there isn't enough FEDs around to do the job of patrolling r/c aircraft. So, the chances of seeing an FAA guy at any of our fields is slim.
Four: On your test, a jet may enter a loop at 200mph, but will not maintain it through the whole loop with the given power that I have in my jets. I also don't know of a constant radius loop that enters at 100' agl, and exits at 900' agl? So, I was stumped with the maneuver you described! And, since I did not fly aerobatics in full scale and only transport, 3 G's were all we had to worry about in flight. And, if you do Transport flying, everything is in charts, and in truth, I was never exposed to that formula. Or forgot, since I have been retired since 1999.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 01-16-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:57 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I suspect there will be a lot of 54 pound models about
The AMA's LTMA inspection and flight test process is much more time consuming that the FAA paper registration process - which is mainly a paperwork exercise for them. If my ME262 comes out over 55 lbs wet, I'll do what's required, but yes, I'm trying to keep it below that to avoid all of the paperwork if I can...

Actually, I'm kind of looking forward to going to the Richmond FSDO and asking for the 8050-1 form so I can register my model airplane. I'm sure I'll get some eye rolls from them about what HQ is up to lately - those guys are likely as under the gun as everybody else from all of these "directives" from on-high...

Bob
Old 01-15-2016, 06:01 PM
mackeyjones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I differ. AMA registered pilots do not fly at just AMA fields.

Just on the subject of MTRs, I just downloaded the publication that defines the US VR, IR, and SR routes in the US. roughly 495 pages of them (https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/tw4/vt27/docs/ap1b.pdf). Having flown many myself in the 20 years I was on active duty, I can say that there's one that starts at the Astoria Washington bridge (hardly a remote area), another that flies down the Columbia river gorge past many camping areas, boat launches, etc. (hardly remote areas), another that flies through Lake Chelan in eastern Washington, again past and over camping areas, boat launches, etc. (remote areas). On the east coast, they're all over Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. While we have to avoid charted airfields, we frequently fly over or near small towns, over farms, etc.

AMA only recently identified and confirmed all of their fields near full scale airfields, what do you think the odds are that for each of their fields, they went through this entire publication, charted the route widths, and checked? About zero. Many general aviation, who have regular proficiency tests, aren't aware of MTRs, so I don't have a lot of confidence that AMA members are more aware of them then GA pilots.

As for the AG pilots, again, AMA members are not required to fly only from AMA fields, so there's no guarantee they won't take a plane out and fly over farm fields.

Lastly, as for hearing, I watched an AMA member, and major retailer sponsored pilot fly his entire flight wearing headphones and listening to music. Exactly how is he to hear the approach of an aircraft? Secondly, have you ever seen the Blue Angels/Thunderbirds show? They do a demonstration how a subsonic airplane can sneak up on you at low altitude. Audible warning time is seconds - think about an AMA member flying his plane while camping out along one of those MTRs I described - hardly enough for a pilot to get a plane out of the way

Lastly, there's no hearing test required of AMA members, thus no guarantee they can indeed hear. Even those who can, there's other airplanes in the pits running up engines - easily louder than an airplane approaching at low altitude and high speed. There may be other activities that result in something called "cognitive distraction" - example is people doing two things...reading a text and walking...right into a fountain. Are you saying a casual AMA member, struggling with a slightly unstable new airplane, with noise in the nearby pits, or other aircraft in flight is going to have the situational awareness? I argue unlikely.
Yes you argue a lot....and all you really convince me is that you like to argue a point beyond reason and what logic dictates, and is less likely to happen than the odds of winning lotto.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:11 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Read my Post again I said nothing about PROFESSIONALS. I'm speaking of the PPP Piss Poor Pilots that don't have the common sense to keep from playing fighter pilot down LOW.

Congratulation on still being alive. Tell me Just how many R/C model airplanes have U seen in the Thousands of hours U have been doing
"operation at 500' agl and below. 75% of which is at 300' AT NIGHT" How many of these R/C Model planes U have seen Below 500' have considered as a "NEAR MISS" Then just how many R/C Models have U even seen in your thousands of hours of professional flying below 300' AT NIGHT.

I'd bet that If U have seen any R/C Models none have been anywhere close to being a danger. How many of the thousands of Professional do U know that have been endangered or even seen an R/C model airplane near enough to be of any concern.

Now if U R speaking of DRONES Quads Multi-Rotors or what ever than I might agree with U But not Traditional R/C TOY Model Airplanes or Helios especially anything starting at 40 size and up.

The Only Place the problem of R/C TOYs (QUADs/MR's/DRONES) being of any Problem is near Large airports in Class B airspace. Just for reference here is a URL to all the Class B air space in the USA.
29 VFR Class B Enhancement Graphics

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig...s/vfr_class_b/
First off you said "Any Sane Pilot". That infers ALL pilots, not just your opinion of Piss poor pilots. So dont go changing your words bc you got called out.

Private pilots are not all the same. I know many (and taught many) that are phenomenal pilots and take their hobby very seriously. You calling them Piss Poor is ignorant as Lumping everyone into a personal opinion is ridiculous.

I have seen over 100 models in that time (most of those were at an operational altitude of 50'AGL covering an area of 250sq. Miles). Luckily for me, i know exactly what to look for on the ground for a RC club and our Ama club members are good about avoiding. I did have to avoid a 40% extra over central ohio a few years ago though that was at well over 300'. Near misses at 1000' and below. Probably less than a dozen, again i know what to look for and avoid it as well as even a 40% model at 180kts is difficult to differentiate if its a turkey vulture </1/4 mile or a 40% model at 1-2miles.

I have also seen two assumed multirotors at 300' at night. I say assumed bc the objects were lit and through our NVG's we could not see the lights (obviously used LED's). As it passed off my right wingtip, it disappeared and when we came back on the next pass (1000' over, gps verified) the object was gone. So who knows what it really was, but it scared the heck out of us since we werent expecting anything as we were about 1/8 mile offshore.

this will be my last post, bc honestly. I dont have the patience for the childish bickering. Ive got two kids i can argue with over any myriad of ridiculous topics, i dont need this crap with a bunch of internet warriors

Last edited by invertmast; 01-15-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:29 PM
TTRotary

As a CD, yes I know that the speed limit is 200mph.
Yes, after I quoted the rule to you, back in post #62.

I also don't know of a constant radius loop that enters at 100' agl, and exits at 900' agl?
I was trying to make it easy for you to figure out quickly... didn't work I guess.

Have a nice weekend guys ;-)

Last edited by TTRotary; 01-15-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:47 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

So have we figured out if 400 feet is death to jets yet.....
Old 01-16-2016, 05:48 AM
Rob2160

Since Dan apparently can't formulate an answer (despite claiming to be a seasoned full scale pilot), we have...drumroll... nearly 7Gs. On Dan's 33lb F-18, that would be nearly 250lb of force acting on those little 6.5sq ft wings. Wing loading would approach 615oz/sq foot, which means the wing would stall at that angle of attack and velocity, assuming it could survive structural loads it was never designed for. The loop cannot be completed, and the plane has most likely disintegrated mid-air. So much for Dan's 200MPH aerobatic program.

I admit to being confused by the wording of your original question also but reverse engineering your (almost 7G) answer I assume you meant to say...

Constant Speed - Constant Radius loop - starting at 200 mph - exiting at 200 mph - starting at 100 feet, topping at 900 feet (800 feet diameter)

Given those parameters - 6.72 G.

Stall speed is 259% of the 1 G stall speed.

What is the stall speed of your jets?

I don't think it was fair to berate Dan for not answering that quickly, I know many very experienced flight instructors, airline and corporate pilots who could not answer that question off the top of their head.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-16-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:01 AM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by junkjet
Yes, I think we have all debated this issue to death of the forum. We have figured out that we have to register, no matter what if we are going to fly our models, we have figured out that the wording on the registration form has a lot to be desired, and that we agree on a Federal Form that we fly below 400', and yet still allowed to fly above 400', so in denial there, as our AMA community has been in denial for the past too many years. And, to practice our utmost in safety flying our expensive toys. So, it isn't the death of the hobby, unless it becomes more serious.

Thank you Rob for reverse engineering the problem. Even if I did do a loop at 100 feet at 200 mph, I wouldn't be stupid enough to only make it tight enough to a 900' top of a loop, it would have been double that altitude.

I am asking everyone to let this forum die. It has been interesting, educational, and a lot of fun for those who like to argue for arguments sake. There seems to be about 4 or 5 of you that are experts on every forum that I have seen about 400' or jets. So, get a life, build some planes and go fly! Peace out! Dan
Old 01-16-2016, 07:22 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Rob2160
I admit to being confused by the wording of your original question also but reverse engineering your (almost 7G) answer I assume you meant to say...

Constant Speed - Constant Radius loop - starting at 200 mph - exiting at 200 mph - starting at 100 feet, topping at 900 feet (800 feet diameter)

Given those parameters - 6.72 G.

Stall speed is 259% of the 1 G stall speed.

What is the stall speed of your jets?

I don't think it was fair to berate Dan for not answering that quickly, I know many very experienced flight instructors, airline and corporate pilots who could not answer that question off the top of their head.
I realize this not a tech question but Rob being from Sidney are R/C TOYs restricted in Australia to some Max altitude??
What other Peculiar Rules Laws what ever do you experience down Under?
Old 01-16-2016, 07:23 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by mackeyjones
Yes you argue a lot....and all you really convince me is that you like to argue a point beyond reason and what logic dictates, and is less likely to happen than the odds of winning lotto.
One's perception of the risk these pose changes after you've personally faced the possibility of a high speed low altitude ejection after hitting a small bird. The risk posed by a sUAS is orders of magnitude worse. And as we see in these or other threads, you have AMA members boasting about flying BLOS (in violation of AMA safety guidelines & law) because they "feel" it's "safe."

Last edited by franklin_m; 01-16-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:26 AM
franklin_m

Yes, I think we have all debated this issue to death of the forum. We have figured out that we have to register, no matter what if we are going to fly our models, we have figured out that the wording on the registration form has a lot to be desired, and that we agree on a Federal Form that we fly below 400', and yet still allowed to fly above 400', so in denial there, as our AMA community has been in denial for the past too many years. And, to practice our utmost in safety flying our expensive toys. So, it isn't the death of the hobby, unless it becomes more serious.

Thank you Rob for reverse engineering the problem. Even if I did do a loop at 100 feet at 200 mph, I wouldn't be stupid enough to only make it tight enough to a 900' top of a loop, it would have been double that altitude.

I am asking everyone to let this forum die. It has been interesting, educational, and a lot of fun for those who like to argue for arguments sake. There seems to be about 4 or 5 of you that are experts on every forum that I have seen about 400' or jets. So, get a life, build some planes and go fly! Peace out! Dan
I'm curious, why does it require maximum speed to enter a loop?
Old 01-16-2016, 07:30 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by junkjet
It all depends Whom U believe is right AMA or Franky. LOL Franky says U are more dangerous below 400' cause he's down low at 540 kts, I guess.

Just thought I'd ad this Nothing personal to anyone but

Old 01-16-2016, 07:41 AM
Rob2160

I realize this not a tech question but Rob being from Sidney are R/C TOYs restricted in Australia to some Max altitude??
What other Peculiar Rules Laws what ever do you experience down Under?
We have the 400 ft rule (its law actually) but it only applies within 3 nm of airports and within Controlled Airspace.

Outside controlled airspace the limit is as high as you can see it. Where I fly the CTA lower step is 2500 ft so I can fly up to this height legally if I can still see the model.

My park elevation is 600 ft AMSL so that gives me 1900 feet to play with.

Same rules as the USA regarding Restricted Areas, i.e. RC flight is prohibited - the entire Sydney Harbour is restricted airspace due to low flying helicopters and float planes, so flying like this is totally illegal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfBAmbkZPU0

CASA is our version of the FAA and the laws regarding flying model aircraft are not restrictive at all but they will fine you if you are caught breaking the rules.

https://www.casa.gov.au/standard-pag...-drone-crash-0

http://eftm.com.au/2015/01/850-drone...rone-use-19067

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.