Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

AMA Grounds it's members in DC area? Is this true?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

AMA Grounds it's members in DC area? Is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 08:46 PM
RonTins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a member of DC-RC and SWAP in Baltimore, I can confirm that these fields have been issued a “cease-fly” of any sorts until further notice. So far we are being told this is a temporary measure while new systems that specifically look for smaller flying objects in the airspace are being tested.
I suspect only until tests have been concluded will the cease-fly order will be lifted. It seems this may be coming to every town near you unfortunately…
Old 12-29-2015, 06:56 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps the reason for the no-fly is due to testing a system that "shoots down", electronically of course, a small drone and they don't want to smash everyone's planes while they test it.

Just a theory.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
Perhaps the reason for the no-fly is due to testing a system that "shoots down", electronically of course, a small drone and they don't want to smash everyone's planes while they test it.

Just a theory.
That would actually be a very good thing. That is ofcoarse if the beam could be focused and not shoot just omni directional. Anyhow the point being if they use just to shoot down the FPV/Drones.. then maybe they would leave the Model Airplane clubs alone.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:30 PM
SECRET AGENT

What if they utilized the cell towers to broadcast their "shoot down beam" omnidirectional for the scenario where they have a drone they deem to be an imminent threat. Just push a button and every drone in the area comes down.

That will definately come in handy when the machines take over.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:45 PM
Vettster

LOL I would just hope no RC jets are flying in the area when they hit the button.

Hope it all works out.. That is I hope they can down the FPVers and leave the good guys alone
Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 PM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

You mean something like this:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-te...nti-drone-gun/
Simple in theory -tight beam electro-magnetic pulse.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:32 AM
SECRET AGENT

I wonder who the poor guy is that had to test that thing, probably has a giant brain tumor now. Yikes.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:22 AM
Vettster

Any updates on this situation.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:46 AM
tomfiorentino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
What if they utilized the cell towers to broadcast their "shoot down beam" omnidirectional for the scenario where they have a drone they deem to be an imminent threat. Just push a button and every drone in the area comes down.

That will definately come in handy when the machines take over.
Perfect! I have the beautiful "No Service" message at the flying field anyway!
Old 12-31-2015, 12:27 PM
rhklenke

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettster
Any updates on this situation.
Yes, check out the email newsletter from Jay Marsh, AMA District IV VP:

AMA District IV Newsletter

Bob
Old 01-01-2016, 08:47 AM
Vettster

Wow! Apparently the AMA was told to stop flying in the DC area in September!! But the AMA did nothing to inform the Clubs.. wow http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...=191312&page=3
Old 01-01-2016, 10:55 AM
rhklenke

Wow! Apparently the AMA was told to stop flying in the DC area in September!! But the AMA did nothing to inform the Clubs.. wow http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...=191312&page=3
I don't believe that's true at all. There's way too much ranting and raving on these issues and not enough facts. If you don't know the facts, then you shouldn't be throwing around blame.

Bob
Old 01-01-2016, 02:22 PM
Vettster

Im not throwing anything around.. Its there.. go read it.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:21 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have to wonder if the AMA did not tell it's members about the cease fly coming in DC earlier because they were afraid members may not renew, IMO if that was the case it will backfire on the AMA latter on
if the fields don't reopen soon.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:58 PM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by ira d
You have to wonder if the AMA did not tell it's members about the cease fly coming in DC earlier because they were afraid members may not renew, IMO if that was the case it will backfire on the AMA latter on
if the fields don't reopen soon.
You've got to be kidding right? I mean seriously, I can understand differences in opinions on how the AMA may have handled some issues, but this anti-AMA conspiracy theory vitriol really has me baffled. Have any of you who spew this even talked to the relevant AMA reps. about this at all? Have you made any effort to get involved and/or help out? What exactly is behind this "we're doomed and its the AMA's fault" agenda?

If you read all of the information that is out there, it appears as if when this restriction first came out, the FAA did not enforce a shutdown at established clubs. However, something changed and they had to do so. It also appears as if the FAA is trying to work with all of the agencies involved (and around DC, its more than just them) to allow the clubs to fly again. Why not wait until this does, or does not happen to jump on the doomsday bandwagon?

To Vettster, I "did" read it, and there was nothing there to substantiate the claim that the AMA did nothing, or "covered up" the publicly announced restrictions, just more theories and accusations from people outside the process...

Bob
Old 01-01-2016, 08:36 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rhklenke
You've got to be kidding right? I mean seriously, I can understand differences in opinions on how the AMA may have handled some issues, but this anti-AMA conspiracy theory vitriol really has me baffled. Have any of you who spew this even talked to the relevant AMA reps. about this at all? Have you made any effort to get involved and/or help out? What exactly is behind this "we're doomed and its the AMA's fault" agenda?

If you read all of the information that is out there, it appears as if when this restriction first came out, the FAA did not enforce a shutdown at established clubs. However, something changed and they had to do so. It also appears as if the FAA is trying to work with all of the agencies involved (and around DC, its more than just them) to allow the clubs to fly again. Why not wait until this does, or does not happen to jump on the doomsday bandwagon?

To Vettster, I "did" read it, and there was nothing there to substantiate the claim that the AMA did nothing, or "covered up" the publicly announced restrictions, just more theories and accusations from people outside the process...

Bob
No I am not kidding at all but as I said if the AMA knew of the forthcoming closure and said nothing I wonder why. Look I don't know who knew what or when I just know what is being reported and that is what I responded to.
As far we are all doomed I never said such in fact I posted earlier that I went flying today and have not changed the way I fly in anyway and at this point I am not concerned about the registration that much.