Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Weatronic/ ultiate Jets important anouncement.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Weatronic/ ultiate Jets important anouncement.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 04:30 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Weatronic/ Ultimate Jets anouncement.

Dear all.

With the release of firmware 6.08, Weatronic unlocked very powerful features that we used to offer new unique products to the market.

First of all, the new Smart 8-23 ULRS that I believe is the most integrated and sophisticated receiver on the market.

http://www.ultimate-jets.net/collect...mart-8-23-ulrs

The receiver is extremely light ( 15 grs/ 0.53 oz ) and compact ( 2.5" x 1" x 0.7" ), yet offers the following:
  • Up to 23 servo output ( 8 or 7 PWM, 16 serial )
  • 2 Fully parallel RF circuitry, each using one Ultra Long Range hemispheric patch antenna
  • 1 Telemetry port
  • 1 optional integrated gyro
  • High current capacity through our MIL spec serial harness ( up to 20 A peak current ).
  • Fully programmable through the BAT transmitter ( the model program is stored in the receiver with all the mixers, ATV, servo centers...)

This is the first time that a 0.5 oz receiver offers 23 fully programmable and independent servo outputs and two Ultra Long Rang patch antennas, an optional integrated gyro and telemetry port!
The serial output of the receiver, when activated, enables to connect servo through three type of protocols: Sum Signal, SRXL Multiplex, SRXL Weatronic. Up to 16 servos can be connected and programmed through the BAT transmitter.Our experience in MIL and aerospace harnesses (UAV ) was used to create a unique high current solution to plug up to 16 digital servo on one serial loop using Kirschoff's law. The UHCL ( Ultimate High Current Loom ) is designed with our range of MIL spec connectors ( USC 3 plug ) and cables ( silver core PTFE coated wire ).An EMS 100 ( Emcotec MPX compatible high quality power plug ) allows direct plugging of a Lipo 2S battery that feed the serial loom directly as well as the receiver. A second battery can be plugged to port 8 of the receiver via a Y lead. The picture below shows the EMS 100 plug as well as master USC 3 femal plug on the receiver.

This allows for a very high reliability and power acceptance. One of the big problem with serial harnesses is that if one component fails, all the servos downstream the component will lose their functionality. To avoid this problem, we are using our industry leading USC 3 ( Ultimate Servo Connector 3 ) which feature a super strong clip-on system ( the plug cannot disconnect once clipped ) and extremely resilient high current gold plated connectors ( tested under 50 Gs of vibration and certified for 5000 connect/ disconnect cycles ).

A small serial board is being designed now. It will use two female USC 3 welded sockets, one servo output and one programming port output. You will be able to connect the board where you want in the model, using different length UHCL harness extensions. The programming port will be used to assign the servo number in the serial sequence with the USB upgrade dongle.
The UHCL extensions are available in the following lengths: 40 cm ( 15" ), 80 cm ( 30" ), 120 cm ( 45" ), 160 cm ( 60 " ) and 200 cm ( 75" ) and the following section: 14 AWG and 20 AWG. Custom lenghts can be built on request.The 14 AWG extension must be used at the beginning of the serial loom, whereas the 20 AWG can be used at the end of the loom.The maximum servo power that be assigned to the loom is as followed:Servo 1 to 5: 400 oz.in ( 2 A continuous per servo at peak power )Servo 6 to 16: 200 oz.in ( 1 A continuous per servo at peak power )So, our system allows for 5 high torque digital servos and 10 medium torque.

However, for those will to put only a few small servo to the serial loom, we will also offer a standard size set of serial extensions with JR type connectors, for a maximum of 3 A current capacity.
The Smart 8-23 ULRS receiver also features the ability to accept our Ultra Long Range patch antennas ( thhe ones used on the transmitter ). These antennas boost the range of the receiver up to 5 km/ 3 Mi and most importantly, offer a near omnidirectional reception diagram. That means that the placement of the antenna is a lot less critical as there is no dead zone with this technology.

Also, because of the female SMA connector offered, very thin adhesive foil antennas can be used with this receiver, for carbon fiber or Flite Metal/ metalized fuselages, and glued on the outer side of the model skin.

The other important announcement I wanted to make here is that we are about to release the Weatronic version of our ASSI telemetry board.
This means that we will very soon be able to input all the ECU data, as well as angle of attack, pitot, accelerations directly to the radio.
We are also programming a set of custom telemetry pages for the ASSI that will be unique and offer specific graphics for the BAT series transmitters.
This will also offer auto throttle function and hopefully engine failure automatic compensation for twins.

Happy New Year!!!!

Last edited by olnico; 01-02-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:08 PM
felker14
My Feedback: (50)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oli
Great new item. I have general question on BAT 60. Is computer needed to set up plane or can it be done from transmitter? Thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 08:31 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by felker14
Oli
Great new item. I have general question on BAT 60. Is computer needed to set up plane or can it be done from transmitter? Thanks
No. The BAT 60 in itself is a computer running on a custom written Linux based OS.
All the programming is done directly from the large touch color LCD screen.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:48 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interested in seeing the ASSI telemetry board in action.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Regarding ASSI and other modules I make and the integration into Weatronic transmitters.

As I'm supporting more and more transmitter brands, I have acquired a certain insight in the different vendors protocols and capabilities.
I have deep knowledge of Futaba SBUS/SBUS2 and a good knowledge of Jeti, JR, HoTT and Spektrum.
As I'm now integrating stuff into Weatronic I have to say that Weatronic is way ahead of the others in terms of telemetry. They are the _only_ one that has made the telemetry protocol in a near perfect way, and they clearly have been using their heads and technical skills when they designed the protocol. Most other brands are more or less lucky with their implementations but Weatronic is very close to the perfect way of doing things (in terms of protocol and flexibility).

Its going to be very exciting to implement support for that brand in my devices and see what can be done
Old 01-03-2016, 10:37 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
Regarding ASSI and other modules I make and the integration into Weatronic transmitters.

As I'm supporting more and more transmitter brands, I have acquired a certain insight in the different vendors protocols and capabilities.
I have deep knowledge of Futaba SBUS/SBUS2 and a good knowledge of Jeti, JR, HoTT and Spektrum.
As I'm now integrating stuff into Weatronic I have to say that Weatronic is way ahead of the others in terms of telemetry. They are the _only_ one that has made the telemetry protocol in a near perfect way, and they clearly have been using their heads and technical skills when they designed the protocol. Most other brands are more or less lucky with their implementations but Weatronic is very close to the perfect way of doing things (in terms of protocol and flexibility).

Its going to be very exciting to implement support for that brand in my devices and see what can be done
Carsten, this is very cool, I always appreciated the Weatronic system and used the module for 3 years but, ultimately moved away from it as I was not keen on their telemetry system and it's lack of integration with ECU's also, grew frustrated with the wait for the Bat. (but that's another story)

Your device will certainly move them in the right direction with telemetry. A couple of questions: Does your device connect to the Mux box or does it plug directly into the SCU port of the receiver? If the latter, can other devices be connected as well or does that limit telemetry to your device only?

Is ASSI compatible with the Ver 6xx Jetcat ECU's or is it only the Ver10's? Do you foresee compatibility with the Projet ECU's as well (as Ulimate jet carries BF and Behotec)?

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 01-03-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:45 AM
Carsten Groen

Thanks Mike,
What I'm doing at the moment, is a small "CAN Bus to SCU" protocol converter. This is a small device that has a CAN bus connector that fits with the rest of my stuff, ASSI, pressure sensor etc.

It also has a SCU IN and a SCU out connector, so it does not need a MUX box to work. You connect a cable from my device's SCU OUT to the receivers SCU IN port. You can then connect other Weatronic telemetry devices to my device's SCU IN port etc (so its a "full blown" implementation of the Weatronic SCU port technology).

The ASSI is compatible with both V6 and V10 ECU's from JetCat (and Xicoy/Gaspar ECU's, AMT and soon Projet (once they answer the last few questions I sent them some time ago...)
Old 01-03-2016, 10:52 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
Thanks Mike,
What I'm doing at the moment, is a small "CAN Bus to SCU" protocol converter. This is a small device that has a CAN bus connector that fits with the rest of my stuff, ASSI, pressure sensor etc.

It also has a SCU IN and a SCU out connector, so it does not need a MUX box to work. You connect a cable from my device's SCU OUT to the receivers SCU IN port. You can then connect other Weatronic telemetry devices to my device's SCU IN port etc (so its a "full blown" implementation of the Weatronic SCU port technology).

The ASSI is compatible with both V6 and V10 ECU's from JetCat (and Xicoy/Gaspar ECU's, AMT and soon Projet (once they answer the last few questions I sent them some time ago...)
Fantastic, thanks Carsten!

Mike
Old 01-03-2016, 12:25 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dubd
Very interested in seeing the ASSI telemetry board in action.
DubD,

I will be picking up my BAT 60 at the AMA show. Plan to integrate the ASSI into my next project. I'll keep you informed.

Happy New Year!

David S
Old 01-03-2016, 04:47 PM
dubd

Originally Posted by David Searles
DubD,

I will be picking up my BAT 60 at the AMA show. Plan to integrate the ASSI into my next project. I'll keep you informed.

Happy New Year!

David S
Can you get one for me??? ;-)

Happy New Year, Big D!
Old 01-03-2016, 10:06 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had great luck with the ASSI using SBus2, Carsten does a great job supporting the product. I am sure a tight Weatronics integration will take it to the next level.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I am sure a tight Weatronics integration will take it to the next level.
Hello Matt.
The next level was already reached some time ago by allowing the integration of patch antennas into a micro receiver

Thanks to this technology, it is the only system on the market allowing a range of over 6000 feet for UAV operators ( near ground-to-ground in jammed sub-urban environment ).

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fpv-...o-systems.html

This, coupled with the intelligent frequency hopping technology, offers the best jamming resistance on the market as well. It might seem pretty insignificant until the day you decide to fly your beloved models in a big meeting like Joe Nall or Jet Over Kentucky with many flight lines, or you fly at a sub-urban Californian field...
Not to mention the fact that the patch antenna is the only one o the market to offer an hemispherical reception diagram that does not have any blind spot. Ask Lance Campbell what he thinks about this and how useful it was when he integrated it in his SR-71...

I am not claiming this blind. We have been using the modules for 7 years now and have accumulated over a million hour of use and created a unique operator's data base.
http://www.ultimate-jets.net/blogs/w...-link-database

And our ultimate Log Reader is also unique on the market in that it applies statistical analysis to you flights and give you an immediate readout of the quality of the RF link for each of your flight.
This statistical tool is being integrated on the World database and will soon offer you the ability to compare your system with the one from a German or Israeli user for example, or other people using the same system at your field...

Also I will soon be able to apply statistical data to ECU parameter readout that will be able to detect the degradation of following components over the time:

. Fuel pump ( gear wear )
. Kero burner ( oxidation )
. Combustion chamber ( degradation, warping )
. Turbine stage ( blade leading edge degradation, blade rubbing on the NGV )

We are also working with Carsten on integrating a vibration sensor to the ASSI that will be able to issue statistical alerts for bearing wear for all turbine brands on the market.

And here is a video of the serial board in action with 8 servos connected on the SRXL port of the Smart 8-23 ULRS receiver;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=819rwZde0x4 All of this technology is coming from my experience in dealing with airline statistical data analysis and UAV design as well as from Carsten genius mind...
I am putting all my experience and knowledge in developing World class components and services. This is my hobby and what I love to do the most. So I hope that you guys will appreciate it...

Last edited by olnico; 01-04-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:37 AM
olnico

The previous video shows a configuration with 8 servos connected to the SRXL port, labelled "Serial Main 1" to "Serial Main 8" on the BAT programming page.
Servos 2 to 8 are still available as regular PWM outputs on the receiver.
So, this config bring the Smart receiver to 15 independent servos/ channels. This can be pushed to 23 independent outputs ( 16 serial servos and 7 PWM servos ) for one receiver, 46 independent outputs with 2 receivers ( Main and Sub 1 ) and 62 independent outputs/ channels with 3 receivers ( Main, Sub 1 and Sub 2 ). The BAT series radios being limited to 62 independent outputs/ channels...

The board we are creating with Carsten will be smaller than the one showing on the video, be be easier to integrate. However it will output maximum 4 servos.
It will feature Lock Plugs for the serial loom AND for the servos for maximum reliability.

The board will also be fail passive. This means that if the active components on the board fail/ burn, the servos downstream the serial loom will no be affected and will still be working.
A maximum of 4 boards can be chained to the serial harness for 16 servo outputs.

As you can see, my aim is to offer to the modelers an aero spec solution ( fail passive, high current and super secure ) that allows to chain many high torque servos on a single serial harness with 100% reliability and full current capability.

Last edited by olnico; 01-04-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:56 AM
Carsten Groen

Oli, you can actually connect 23 servos in total to the Smart 8 receiver, 7 direct to the receiver and 16 servos from two of the 8 channel expanders in the video (each driving 8 servos)
All 23 servos will be driven by their own channel from the transmitter, so they are all independent of each other.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Lance Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using the receivers for years, and have a new BAT60 sitting on the bench I'm looking forward to getting into.

I can't speak more highly about how well the patch antennas work. Analyzing the data, I worked my way through 5 different locations/orientations, initially standard antennas then the patch ones.
With the patch antennas in place now, I'm getting 95-100% signal strength when flying over half mile away (I've checked distances with the GPS data.) Anything inside of half mile, it's 100% all the time.

I'm really looking forward to playing with the new toys and options that are evolving...

Lance
Old 01-04-2016, 09:03 AM
olnico

Originally Posted by Lance Campbell

I can't speak more highly about how well the patch antennas work. Analyzing the data, I worked my way through 5 different locations/orientations, initially standard antennas then the patch ones.
With the patch antennas in place now, I'm getting 95-100% signal strength when flying over half mile away (I've checked distances with the GPS data.) Anything inside of half mile, it's 100% all the time.

Lance
Then, you'll probably be interested to hear that I am now working on the next generation ceramic patch antennas.
I hope that we'll be able to grab a few extra dB of reception levels very soon. Not that the system really lacks on this side, but I can't help researching and implementing latest technologies...
Old 01-04-2016, 02:07 PM
fireblade5437

Hi Oli

Do you ever sleep?
Great to see the new things coming..
Plus we know how well the patch antennas work on the Micro don't we!

Alan

Originally Posted by olnico
Then, you'll probably be interested to hear that I am now working on the next generation ceramic patch antennas.
I hope that we'll be able to grab a few extra dB of reception levels very soon. Not that the system really lacks on this side, but I can't help researching and implementing latest technologies...
Old 01-04-2016, 08:14 PM
olnico

Originally Posted by fireblade5437
Hi Oli

Plus we know how well the patch antennas work on the Micro don't we!

Alan
Hi Alan.
Absolutely. Your work on the Micro has been paramount in the development of the Smart 8-23 antennas system.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:39 AM
dubd

What's the simplest receiver set-up to get 14-16 channels? Smart 8 receiver and a expander?
Old 01-05-2016, 07:42 AM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by dubd
What's the simplest receiver set-up to get 14-16 channels? Smart 8 receiver and a expander?
Thats probably it! You will then get 7 from the receiver and 8 from the expander so 15 in total. You can add one more expander and get 8 extra if needed (for a total of 23)
Old 01-11-2016, 04:24 AM
olnico

Here is a picture of the serial board mock-up with the 4 servos ports ( lock type plugs, JR compatible for added safety ).

The board is about 4' long by 1' wide and 1' thick. 2/3 of the length is taken by the MIL spec connectors, but I was willing to sacrifice a bit of the size towards reliability and current capacity...
Also, the fail passive concept is absolutely essential for a serial board. Should a component fail on the harness, none of the servos downstream will be affected .
Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Carsten Groen

Originally Posted by luv2flyrc
Fantastic, thanks Carsten!

Mike

...and it's (almost) here

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post12165116

Also the board mentioned by Oli above is running as prototypes now, being tested at the moment (these will also work with Futaba SBUS , JR XBus and even Spektrum )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-19 14.53.47 - Kopi.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	2142659  

Last edited by Carsten Groen; 01-21-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:01 AM
fireblade5437

As soon as I can get telemetry for JetCat I will convert my CARF Hawk from FASST to Weatronic as it will be an incentive to having to reset everything up again!

Carsten do you know how long it will be before your board will be available?

Notice that Jeti USA viewing as well! Welcome...

Alan

Last edited by fireblade5437; 01-21-2016 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Carsten Groen

Hi Alan,
at the moment I'm waiting for some further info from Weatronic in order to get the system up and running perfectly (screen design on transmitter etc). My best bet is I should have it running on the prototype in 2 to 4 weeks.
After that production of a smaller number of converters (a couple of weeks)
Old 01-21-2016, 11:09 AM
fireblade5437

Thanks Carsten, will order one as soon as available...

Alan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.