Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The ama is toothless

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The ama is toothless

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:07 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Why would a safety officer ground you? Registration has nothing to do with safety.
For not following AMA guidelines? pretty basic. You will all face the same. Some folks have a hard on and live to police like that.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:18 PM
turbofixer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As RC Pilot of any kind you should be thankful the AMA does anything. like it or not with out it the FAA would run us all over.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:30 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbofixer
As RC Pilot of any kind you should be thankful the AMA does anything. like it or not with out it the FAA would run us all over.
I am, right up until the point they start using sections of the law to require membership. If they're really so altruistic about model aviation as they contend, ALL model aviation, then why require you to be a member just so you can fly a "model aircraft" under PL112-95 section 336 (a)(3)?
Old 01-11-2016, 03:13 PM
TTRotary

I registered. The registration requirement is not legal, but the courts will have to challenge it first.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:46 PM
MTIPilot
My Feedback: (121)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not wrong in the least. In my opinion, there's no doubt that's what they tried to do. They have failed everyone and the current "legal actions" don't matter. BV's letter to the AMA almost 2 years ago was spot on and they ignored it. What other conclusion can be gained other than that the AMA leadership has been and still is clueless with this situation. We who safely operate model aircraft will eventually have to sever ourselves from the AMA and start over with a new organization that can truly impress the AMA that we are model airplane pilots and not "drone operators".
Old 01-11-2016, 05:10 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
That is not what the FAA nor the AMA has said in any press release, nor in the discussion noted in the Youtube video.
As far as I am concerned the way the AMA press release is worded thats what it says or at least implies, You of course are free to go with your own interpretation and I am free to go with mine. And
I am not the only one to come to that conclusion about the wording either also other people have posted that they were told by AMA leaders that in order to fly certain types of aircraft the FAA
will require AMA membership.

Last edited by ira d; 01-11-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:35 PM
TTRotary

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I am, right up until the point they start using sections of the law to require membership. If they're really so altruistic about model aviation as they contend, ALL model aviation, then why require you to be a member just so you can fly a "model aircraft" under PL112-95 section 336 (a)(3)?
I just signed up and there is no reference whatsoever to the AMA. The FAA wants to know who you are, where you live, and that you understand the basic rules, which include: "I shall not fly over 400 feet". That's unconditional, by the way. Doesn't say "within 5 miles of an airport" doesn't say "jet, pattern, and glider guys get to go 1000AGL", and it does not say you can fly 1000AGL if you are AMA or any CBO. The AMA is irrelevant to the FAA.

At this point, the AMA has been totally outmaneuvered, and it is up to the courts to opine on the legality of the FAA's giant aeromodeling grab. Sorry guys, it's game over. Can't say I'm surprised.

FAA certificate FA 355XXXXX
AMA 795XXX
Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

I registered tonight also. I will hope that after watching the hour+ video from the AMA Expo with the FAA that the CBO ie:AMA Clubs will be allow to fly as normal. when this is all said and done.

Right now the 400ft is a guide line not law but it may be when it's said and done. The one thing that was talked about is the consideration of the CBOs on the 400ft rule. That seems to be the killer one for the AMA and CBO flying sites.

I know it is a lot of other issues besides the 400ft rule like the DC guys being shut down for now. If they get those fields open back up then what was said on the video might be the truth and not a dog and pony show.

I have to agree with the FAA guy about trying to educate the public and yes it seems we the AMA flyers got walked on trying to get the registration out before the holiday sales but I really feel like they were scared to death and still are with issues of the FPV and drones that can be flown anywhere and are the cause for most of the recent problems.

I am not sure if anyone has a better answer right now because you know the ones that are going to break the rules and laws are the ones that will not register or read or even care about the know before you fly.

Last but not least the FAA needs to educate the local law enforcement and local officials of the difference in a CBO flying site and off site Drone pilot if they do decide to exempt the 400ft for us. That will make things better for everyone.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:05 PM
TTRotary

Originally Posted by jws_aces
I registered tonight also. I will hope that after watching the hour+ video from the AMA Expo with the FAA that the CBO ie:AMA Clubs will be allow to fly as normal. when this is all said and done.

Right now the 400ft is a guide line not law but it may be when it's said and done.
Unfortunately, this is not a guideline anymore. As certification holder, you have certified that you will not fly over 400AGL under any circumstances. There is a statement at the bottom that it is a felony to misrepresent any aspect of your registration. That's the teeth.

I will also point out that early language stated a 400ft guideline irrespective of proximity to an airport. Somewhere along the way, the comma got dropped and it became 400feet within 5 miles of an airport. It is clear from the registration that the FAA always intended for the 400 foot rule to apply unconditionally. And it is not a suggestion. Ignore, or pretend it is a polite suggestion at your own peril.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:12 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

This whole registration crap is making us who don't do stupid things with our "drones" feel like we are the criminals. Idiocracy. Pure and simple.

Endangering the public is endangering the public, whether you do it with a multi-rotor or an AK-47. No new laws needed.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:19 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Unfortunately, this is not a guideline anymore. As certification holder, you have certified that you will not fly over 400AGL under any circumstances. There is a statement at the bottom that it is a felony to misrepresent any aspect of your registration. That's the teeth.

I will also point out that early language stated a 400ft guideline irrespective of proximity to an airport. Somewhere along the way, the comma got dropped and it became 400feet within 5 miles of an airport. It is clear from the registration that the FAA always intended for the 400 foot rule to apply unconditionally. And it is not a suggestion. Ignore, or pretend it is a polite suggestion at your own peril.

Sigh! Yet once again you are completely wrong - and yet you spout it as if it were the truth...

Bob
Old 01-11-2016, 08:22 PM
ira d

I will also point out that early language stated a 400ft guideline irrespective of proximity to an airport. Somewhere along the way, the comma got dropped and it became 400feet within 5 miles of an airport. is clear from It he registration that the FAA always intended for the 400 foot rule to apply unconditionally. And it is not a suggestion. Ignore, or pretend it is a polite suggestion at your own peril.

That is my take on things also, That being said IMO the 400' rule will not be a big deal at present unless you do something to draw attention to your self such as conflicting with full scale aircraft. The AMA is talking with the
FAA on this and may be able to work something out lets hope so. It has also been said that the FAA may allow AMA members only to fly above 400' so we will see where this goes.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:22 PM
jws_aces

As you can see below this is the 2nd half of my registration card. First it recognizes the Model Aircraft rule under sec 336 from 2012.

But to your point it says in bold plain English a safety guideline not rule or law.

They also got away from the AMA and sec 336 of 400 within 5 miles of an airport because they recommend you contact the air traffic controller. Again at this time it is not a Law. That is what the FAA said on the video but I believe it will be after the current open comment period and then it will be pass as sec 107. I am pretty sure that is the new ruling that they intent to put into the regulations that would be law. I am pretty sure that is what said by the FAA yesterday on the video.

JMHO

[TABLE="width: 3"]
[TR]
[TD]For U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and certain non-citizen U.S. corporations, this document constitutes a Certificate of Registration. For all others, this document represents a recognition of ownership.
For all holders, for all operations other than as a model aircraft under sec. 336 of Pub. L. 112-95, additional safety authority from FAA and economic authority from DOT may be required.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]Safety guidelines for flying your unmanned aircraft:
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  • Fly below 400 feet
  • Never fly near other aircraft
  • Keep your UAS within visual line of sight
  • Keep away from emergency responders
[/TD]
[TD="width: 50%"]
  • Never fly over stadiums, sports events or groups of people
  • Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Never fly within 5 miles of an airport without first contacting air traffic control and airport authorities
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 01-11-2016, 08:31 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Sigh! Yet once again you are completely wrong - and yet you spout it as if it were the truth...

Bob
I would not say he is wrong but he just stating his take on the info that is out there. The way I see it is if there is nothing to the 400' foot rule then why did not the FAA rep at AMA EXPO when asked just say that but instead he
dodged the question. It is clear to me that the FAA wants everyone to believe they should fly below 400' feet even if the don't or cant enforce the rule but I say if because I don't know what the end result of all this will be.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:34 PM
TTRotary

You are correct! I didn't have my reading glasses on the print on my "card" is tiny. The 400 feet is listed under "safety guidelines".

I have been reading through all their crap and there are inconsistencies everywhere. The support page for LEO does not reference altitude at all. Mention of altitude is also missing in other areas of guidance, even as a "guideline". And I know why: I just went back to the original text of 333 (a) and there is no mention of altitude.

Only the 55lb, avoid full scale traffic, the 5 mile proximity to the airports, in accordance with CBO, model aircraft.

What a mess.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 PM
ira d

As you can see below this is the 2nd half of my registration card. First it recognizes the Model Aircraft rule under sec 336 from 2012.

But to your point it says in bold plain English a safety guideline not rule or law.

They also got away from the AMA and sec 336 of 400 within 5 miles of an airport because they recommend you contact the air traffic controller. Again at this time it is not a Law. That is what the FAA said on the video but I believe it will be after the current open comment period and then it will be pass as sec 107. I am pretty sure that is the new ruling that they intent to put into the regulations that would be law. I am pretty sure that is what said by the FAA yesterday on the video.

JMHO

[TABLE="width: 3"]
[TR]
[TD]For U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and certain non-citizen U.S. corporations, this document constitutes a Certificate of Registration. For all others, this document represents a recognition of ownership.
For all holders, for all operations other than as a model aircraft under sec. 336 of Pub. L. 112-95, additional safety authority from FAA and economic authority from DOT may be required.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]Safety guidelines for flying your unmanned aircraft:[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
  • Fly below 400 feet
  • Never fly near other aircraft
  • Keep your UAS within visual line of sight
  • Keep away from emergency responders
[/TD]
[TD="width: 50%"]
  • Never fly over stadiums, sports events or groups of people
  • Never fly under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • Never fly within 5 miles of an airport without first contacting air traffic control and airport authorities
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
So in your opinion there is nothing the FAA can do if someone caught not following the FAA guidelines I don't know you may be right but I have to wonder.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:35 PM
TTRotary

Originally Posted by rhklenke

Bob
Simple question wise guy: have you registered and read the conditions?
Old 01-11-2016, 08:38 PM
ira d

You are correct! I didn't have my reading glasses on the print on my "card" is tiny. The 400 feet is listed under "safety guidelines".

I have been reading through all their crap and there are inconsistencies everywhere. The support page for LEO does not reference altitude at all. Mention of altitude is also missing in other areas of guidance, even as a "guideline". And I know why: I just went back to the original text of 333 (a) and there is no mention of altitude.

Only the 55lb, avoid full scale traffic, the 5 mile proximity to the airports, in accordance with CBO, model aircraft.

What a mess.

I agree it is a mess and the FAA knows of the concerns that we modelers have and they could just issues a statement and end the confusion once and for all.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:44 PM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by ira d
So in your opinion there is nothing the FAA can do if someone caught not following the FAA guidelines I don't know you may be right but I have to wonder.
Yes that is the 6 million dollar question. I will hope that the FAA works as hard to educates the state and local government along with law enforcement as they are doing to educate the public. After watching the video of the former USAF jet pilot now with working for the FAA appears not to know what we have been doing for the past 30+ years of model aviation. Hopefully he got a big education and understand how big we are and how we can help the FAA to pass on the word because of the safety record we have. We can help control the problem not become a part of it.

I commend him for attending the expo and doing the Q&A. He didn't have too.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:46 PM
TTRotary

Yes that is the 6 million dollar question. I will hope that the FAA works as hard to educates the state and local government along with law enforcement as they are doing to educate the public. After watching the video of the former USAF jet pilot now with working for the FAA appears not to know what we have been doing for the past 30+ years of model aviation. Hopefully he got a big education and understand how big we are and how we can help the FAA to pass on the word because of the safety record we have. We can help control the problem not become a part of it.

Hoot Gibson is huge good news for modelers. He is a lifelong modeler and probably will wind up in the AMA hall of fame at some point. Whether he can move the leviathan or not is the question, but he is definitely in our corner.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:50 PM
jws_aces

Hoot Gibson is huge good news for modelers. He is a lifelong modeler and probably will wind up in the AMA hall of fame at some point. Whether he can move the leviathan or not is the question, but he is definitely in our corner.
I am sorry but I am pretty sure this was not the Hoot Gibson you are referring to. I believe this guy just had the same name. That is what the AMA rep said when he introduce him. Also I don't think he had ever seen a RC airplane fly much less fly one. He is a recently retired USAF jet pilot.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:52 PM
TTRotary

I am sorry but I am pretty sure this was not the Hoot Gibson you are referring to. I believe this guy just had the same name. That is what the AMA rep said when he introduce him. Also I don't think he had ever seen a RC airplane fly much less fly one. He is a recently retired USAF jet pilot.
USAF or Navy? Hoot Gibson is a F-18 driver.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:53 PM
ira d

Yes that is the six million dollar question and you are right the FAA rep did not have to attend but I was not at all impressed with most of his answers. The main thing I see is that until the FAA releases some consistent
and clear guidance many including local law enforcement and some clubs will be looking to enforce the guidelines as rules or laws and I will be honest I am not 100% sure they cant be enforced.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:55 PM
jws_aces

I am not sure. I really don't need to go back and watch the hour+ video to find out.

If that was the so called Hoot Gibson that you are referring to then he didn't act like he was a supporter much less involved in the hobby.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 PM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by ira d
Yes that is the six million dollar question and you are right the FAA rep did not have to attend but I was not at all impressed with most of his answers. The main thing I see is that until the FAA releases some consistent
and clear guidance many including local law enforcement and some clubs will be looking to enforce the guidelines as rules or laws and I will be honest I am not 100% sure they cant be enforced.
Your spot on..I agree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.