Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DSMX or DMSS Preference

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DSMX or DMSS Preference

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:55 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Flavored baby oil
Old 01-07-2016, 08:55 PM
egldriver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Roger
My A10 is currently going to DMSS with JR 28X. I flew the radio at Nall last year with my dle 111 Sbach342 all xbus servos and Infinity rx. Also my Ziroli P51 and several other planes. Sold all my Spectrum equipment a year ago. The DMSS and xbus system allows everything from the simplest to most elaborate power and data set up. A 4 foot extension to 500 oz torque servos needs the voltage. I'm using the B2 hub with heavy duty deans lead
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20151230_004720.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	3.55 MB
ID:	2140266  
Old 01-08-2016, 01:35 AM
Turbotronic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffH
What is the flaw and what sort of indications or symptoms does it cause? I use DMSS, but I would like to know about this due to the fact we have a club full of Spektrum users.
The RF chip used was originally intended for low power devices like keyboards and mice. It was marketed as "wireless usb".
There is a function on the chip that would allow the chip to boost its input voltage to ride out brownouts much better.
The vendor explicitly states that if this function is not used the relevant output pin MUST be grounded and not left "floating" ie unconnected.
Well floating it is on spek's where it acts as a source of poor power regulation and a random input of RF and EMI to the RF subsystem.
Ironically some of the clones do have this properly grounded.
Its not my opinion but that of the chips vendor technical department application engineers as confirmed to me when I raised a query about this.
You should check with Spek if they have since corrected this when I pointed it out some 5 years ago.
Its a ridiculously easy fix to do.
As the mfr will tell you the fail mechanism is unpredictable but will certainly cause the RF chip to brown out randomly, depending on the environment it finds itself.
But I suspect it also degrades the RF link in some way regardless of power conditions.
Its perfectly OK for a foamy I would think...
Old 01-08-2016, 06:26 AM
Akoni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP, take a look at Futaba or Jeti. Both have very solid links but I think the Jeti systems are ahead of all others in terms of programming flexibility and telemetry.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:24 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have technical reports on this that I might read?
Old 01-08-2016, 10:47 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Originally Posted by Turbotronic
The RF chip used was originally intended for low power devices like keyboards and mice. It was marketed as "wireless usb".
There is a function on the chip that would allow the chip to boost its input voltage to ride out brownouts much better.
The vendor explicitly states that if this function is not used the relevant output pin MUST be grounded and not left "floating" ie unconnected.
Well floating it is on spek's where it acts as a source of poor power regulation and a random input of RF and EMI to the RF subsystem.
Ironically some of the clones do have this properly grounded.
Its not my opinion but that of the chips vendor technical department application engineers as confirmed to me when I raised a query about this.
You should check with Spek if they have since corrected this when I pointed it out some 5 years ago.
Its a ridiculously easy fix to do.
As the mfr will tell you the fail mechanism is unpredictable but will certainly cause the RF chip to brown out randomly, depending on the environment it finds itself.
But I suspect it also degrades the RF link in some way regardless of power conditions.
Its perfectly OK for a foamy I would think...
So how would one check to see if things are still being assembled this way? I would surely hope that in 5 years they would have corrected this??
Old 01-08-2016, 01:54 PM
gooseF22

Roger,
You know I went through the same journey a couple years ago.. I ended up studying DMSS, and ultimately selected Jeti. But there were other things that attracted me like being able to update the receivers and telemetry options, along with the turbine telemetry, and the cool programming options..

FWIW, Im now biased, but if I were looking for a new radio today, I would look at the DC-24 tray with the 900 MHz backup channel, or hold out for the Debut of the DS-24 radio in the fall of 2016. By the way, current Jeti Owners of DC/DS16 radios got a free upgrade to 24 channels with version 4 just released.

I purchased TWO Transmitters, and radio equipment on my own at retail, before joining with Jeti USA, ..

now back to the dungeon..

Last edited by gooseF22; 01-08-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:26 PM
Turbotronic

Originally Posted by JeffH
So how would one check to see if things are still being assembled this way? I would surely hope that in 5 years they would have corrected this??
You would have to dissemble the satellites and check with a multi-meter if the pin in question is connected to the ground side of the PCB.
The ground is the traces connected to the neg battery side or brown/black lead of the servos.
The chip has a feature called PMU. Look in below doc and look at description of pin 37.
On my units the pin 36 was connected to GND as dictated by the datasheet.
So it could just be a matter of soldering the 2 pins together....

http://www.cypress.com/documentation...ical_documents

In addition, the CYRF6936 IC has a Power Management Unit
(PMU), which enables direct connection of the device to any
battery voltage in the range 1.8 V to 3.6 V. The PMU conditions
the battery voltage to provide the supply voltages required by the
device, and may supply external devices.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Specit.png
Views:	646
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	2140433  
Old 01-11-2016, 03:00 AM
RAPPTOR
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CAN, DX18, use DMSS RECEIVERS??
Old 01-11-2016, 03:32 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by RAPPTOR
CAN, DX18, use DMSS RECEIVERS??
Nope.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:18 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Roger, I am sorry for your loss.

Unexplainable crashes leave such an unpleasant taste.

I am approaching a similar situation. The difference is that I am still running dsm2 with my 12x-mv. I do not like to mess with radio changes. My radio's (JR baby!) have been good to me and pretty much most of my crashes have been due to pilot error/brain ejection.

There is just no way I would send in my 12xmv for the "upgrade" to dsmx in 2011 and there certainly would be no way I would use the spektrum 12 channel rx. It is my innate belief in the sage axiom "the enemy of good is better". And I would venture to bet, most would agree that spektrum would usually not be seen as an upgrade to JR.

What has been done is done. We can no longer buy JR1221 rx's so I will no longer be using my trusty and beloved 12xmv after my next jet. I have one last, brand new JR 1221 in a box.

As for more of my unsolicited editorial on radio choices, after my own research, limited as it is, if I had to buy a new radio this instant, it would be the Jeti-16. It uses a frequency hoping model. If you can wait until later this year, Jeti "says" it will have the DS-24.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Roger Shipley
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At last, I am beyond the initial trauma of losing my MIBO A-10. Thanks you for your comments and
concerns regarding the particulars surrounding the unfortunate event.
Although there are those pilots with a number of consistently good flights (i.e. glitch free) with the DSM protocol
I believe it is merely the proverbial accident waiting to happen-not if, but when.
Therefore, my attention must focus on the future since I harbor significant doubts relative to the reliability of DSM products
I cannot knowingly contribute what in my opinion would be unwarranted additional risk in our already exceedingly high risk hobby.

Cheers & Good Sorties to Everyone, Roger

Last edited by Roger Shipley; 01-21-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:02 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Would you publish your selection when made and why you chose the product.....just for more info into my relatively shallow knowledge bank. Thanks