Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

It's coming! Skymaster F-18 1/6 on 2016

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

It's coming! Skymaster F-18 1/6 on 2016

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 09:23 PM
andrewpohlmann
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cosmetic

you know the more we all talk about the issues with this jet the more that comes up. There are so many that when discussing you don’t remember half of them.

The detail problem wouldnt be so bad so bad if I had bought a gelcoat finish but when it’s all painted it’s kind of hard to fix any of the problems especially if we can’t get touch up paint in to the country as it always gets stopped at the boarder.

Just another thing to be unhappy about and there is definatly nothing that can be done.

Andrew
Old 01-29-2018, 09:31 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Dude that’s a bit much I would send pictures to Anton and ask him to fix it. Anton said above quality is important, hold him to it.

Last edited by FenderBean; 01-29-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:42 PM
andrewpohlmann
My Feedback: (6)

Default Cosmetic

yes, as much as I would like to say fix it and send it back across the pond I don’t think that is in the cards... the cost and chance of damage would be too much stress for me.
Unfortunatly I have dealt a bit with overseas trading and it is very rare anything ever gets done to correct that type of problem, it’s just nice to keep people informed so they can ask the right questions to save themselves the same type of issue from happening to them.
As far as the cosmetic stuff I think I have learned to live with them because there is no way that SM has any reasonable way of correcting them on my jet, I have asked for further products to add to the airframe from them though thinking they might help me out but it’s just the same retail prices.
I feel as if Companies hear criticism and think we don’t like them for it but as I said before we are just trying to correct the issue for the next guy.

Andrew
Old 02-13-2018, 03:39 AM
pilot tw

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Old 02-13-2018, 03:44 AM
pilot tw

the Mr, Simon To has maiden his F-18f 1/6.25 last week,

Old 02-18-2018, 08:52 AM
baron-noir
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread as a pattern of customers showing great concerns about overall quality of this jet, including primary fonctions and not just scale details, and all we see is some more teasing from company owner about the next generation of the product. I think that is too easy of a manipulation. I may have missed it but I don't recall any company comment about each of the problems that has been shown ? I'm not speaking about any blanked statement like "quality is our main concern etc..." To me this shows like a lack of leadership about the product and disregard about the quality, i.e. the exact opposite as the "official statement" that the said company wants us to believe in. My feeling toward Skymaster and other siblings companies are that they can start amazing new projects, have the skills to do them properly as builders / flyers, but they obviously lack the skills to build them on an industrial basis. People building the prototypes & early shown models are probably not the same as the people who builds the laters ordered models. We all are passionnate about model fighter jets and when somebody come with a big F-18, F-16 whatever and that we are also shown they are externally beautiful & seem to fly correctly we all want to believe in the product & start ordering in good faith. This is where lies our collective mistake because we expect the ordered model to be as good & beautifull as the shown model / prototype but apparently reading from this thread this will NOT be the case. So unless Skymaster can proove a drastic improvement in day in day out quality improvement in all areas discussed in this thread I will avoid them, despite the drooling to the sex appeal of their models. Not that is matters much what I will do but I just wanted to share my sentiments.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:09 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Fly Eagles finish is better than that!
Old 02-18-2018, 07:58 PM
FenderBean

Okay so normally I can figure these things out but the rear mounts of this model are a mystery. Absolutely nothing in the so called manual on the website. The rails are so small you can can’t attach anything with screws or bolts so what am I missing?
Old 02-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like every skymaster build, your gonna have to google that one. See you back in a few days! Updating a manual would be just silly!
Old 02-18-2018, 08:40 PM
FenderBean

lol no google on this one, this has been a very expensive disappointment! I was out in the trailer trying to figure out how to fix the slat problem. Having to cut out the current hinges without destroying the slat is almost impossible. So many issues I’m having a hard time getting motivated, for some odd reason my main tank has a hole cut in it off center and waaaaay to high on the tank. Feels like fej when they sold the company and started seeing very random stuff. Not used to seeing this from SM.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:54 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Okay so normally I can figure these things out but the rear mounts of this model are a mystery. Absolutely nothing in the so called manual on the website. The rails are so small you can can’t attach anything with screws or bolts so what am I missing?
The two of these I have seen have no screws or bolts holding the motors in. One of them actually flew without the tail cones on and just the motors slid into place. There were tabs on the motors that slid in the slots/tabs in the air frame. I've seen both of them get a good ringing out and the motors stay right where they need to be.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:41 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
The two of these I have seen have no screws or bolts holding the motors in. One of them actually flew without the tail cones on and just the motors slid into place. There were tabs on the motors that slid in the slots/tabs in the air frame. I've seen both of them get a good ringing out and the motors stay right where they need to be.
Yeah after much investigation and picture zooming I determined that the design is as you say just slide the turbine mounts into the channel glued to the frame. This would be a very cool design if the channel was deeper than 3mms and not made of the soft ply they use for everything. It just blows my mind they wouldn't at least use aircraft ply and make the channel deeper. The wood they use is very light weight but you can literally cut it with your finger nail. I will be making a better beefed up channel for my turbines. Im planning to remake the channels with high quality hobby ply and aim them at the CG, just amazed at the thought process.

Thanks Desert for the info.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:15 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

If you just slide them in on the channels they did not glue I at the right angles how do you adjust the angles?

my right engine rail had a totaly different angle then my left engine.... this is the most critical part of the plane and they don't even glue them in at the correct angles.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:28 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by gunradd
If you just slide them in on the channels they did not glue I at the right angles how do you adjust the angles?

my right engine rail had a totaly different angle then my left engine.... this is the most critical part of the plane and they don't even glue them in at the correct angles.
You have to put washers between the turbine mount rails and the turbine mount that clamps around your turbine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1493466199249.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	2255815  

Last edited by FenderBean; 02-24-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:09 AM
TJP
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Going o FL Jets this year to check out this and the BVM F-18.
Skymaster seems to have quality issues and BVM seems to have delivery issues.
Really wanted a twin. Talked to BVM and they said they are working on it for their F18.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:58 AM
FenderBean

Can anyone who has this jet take a picture of the bottom of your wing and post it that would be great. They forgot to drill holes for the pylons in mine and curious how it’s supposed to be done. Thanks
Old 03-23-2018, 04:52 PM
johnzqh

Hi Keith

I'm sending you drawings for location of hardwood under wings.Each plane has hardwood inisde.We now drill the small holes for easier identification

Regards

John
Old 03-23-2018, 05:02 PM
FenderBean

Thanks John, I tried to look inside the wing to find the locations but you can’t see much.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:41 PM
pilot tw

Congratulations to Paul Rastegar's F-18F maiden
Old 04-01-2018, 03:58 PM
pilot tw

Old 04-02-2018, 10:07 AM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, the rudders are turned inboard for the landing.
​​​​​​How was the approach and landing with them configured like that? Stable, touchy, etc? Much trim issues to deal with?

Dan
Old 04-03-2018, 06:20 AM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's essential to have the rudders deflected inwards when flaps down to minimize the required up elevator compensation. Plus, it looks cool especially being scale, lol

If I'm not mistaking, I think Dave Searles took this shot.

Regards,
Barry

Last edited by marquisvns; 04-03-2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: format
Old 05-28-2018, 08:21 AM
sjames1

Does anyone who owns this plane use Spektrum? I Have a DX18/DX20, the problem that I am running in to is that I cant get the turning in of the rudders to slow down. There is no way to slow down the onset of the mix without showing down the control surface as a hole. I know for a fact that you can do it with Futaba, JR, and Jeti.

I want the rudders turn in slow, but operate fast and ailerons to come down slow with the flaps but operate fast as ailerons should.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:46 AM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sjames1
Does anyone who owns this plane use Spektrum? I Have a DX18/DX20, the problem that I am running in to is that I cant get the turning in of the rudders to slow down. There is no way to slow down the onset of the mix without showing down the control surface as a hole. I know for a fact that you can do it with Futaba, JR, and Jeti.

I want the rudders turn in slow, but operate fast and ailerons to come down slow with the flaps but operate fast as ailerons should.

Could you put it on one of the sliders to manually control the speed?

PS What are your thoughts on the model in general?

Cheers
Levi
Old 05-29-2018, 04:38 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sjames1

I m on futaba, but I imagine if you slow down the flaps and mix the rudders in using the flaps as a master, you might get the result you want without slowing down the control surface response as a whole. That's obviously if you wish to deploy the rudders along with the flaps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.