Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New to RC turbine jets

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New to RC turbine jets

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:55 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/510-a.pdf
Your waiver jet must be a minimum of 12# dry

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/510-d.pdf
Application

FWIW, I earned my waiver on a Turbinator
http://www.boomerang-rc-jets.com/turbinator-290.html
Old 01-15-2016, 02:19 PM
F-16 viperman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSchram
I've been flying EDF foamies for a couple years now and am very comfortable doing it. I'm in aw of the turbine engines and would like to get my feet wet. What would you suggest as a starting point for this? Anyone know of anyone in Illinois to teach or mentor?

Thanks!
Hopefully You've been using throttle delay on your edfs. if not, start using it. When flying turbines, You need to anticipate power needs and be quickly decisive about it at all times. programmed throttle delay in glow df's and edf's helped me make the transition. See if You can get a fellow turbine guy to buddy box You. I've buddied many people with My falcon 120 with the Ram 500. 96 oz of fuel and 10-12 minute flights. As far as airframes go, bigger is better, and lighter in the reynolds numbers, easier to see, and more docile and forgiving. Just pick one You believe You can handle. Hope that helps. Good luck, and Welcome aboard!

Last edited by F-16 viperman; 01-15-2016 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:51 PM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/510-a.pdf
Your waiver jet must be a minimum of 12# dry
This rule bugs me. I have a few friends that are interested in k45 powered jets but according to the rules their planes will probably not meet this requirement. I got my waiver with a bigger plane but can safely say that my 10lb Preceptor with a K45 is more of a challenge and will require more pilot skill than a K60 powered foamy or high wing trainer jets.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:16 PM
shepp

jschram
a bit of free advice,
Greg Wright has offered to help, I know Greg and IMO you wont find a more knowledgeable person to advise you. Get in touch with him and listen to what he says. lol well most of it. there are a bunch of jet pilots in central il. and Greg knows them all
best of luck

shepp
Old 01-15-2016, 04:42 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shepp
jschram
a bit of free advice,
Greg Wright has offered to help, I know Greg and IMO you wont find a more knowledgeable person to advise you. Get in touch with him and listen to what he says. lol well most of it. there are a bunch of jet pilots in central il. and Greg knows them all
best of luck

shepp
+1
Old 01-15-2016, 04:52 PM
ltc

Originally Posted by why_fly_high
This rule bugs me. I have a few friends that are interested in k45 powered jets but according to the rules their planes will probably not meet this requirement. I got my waiver with a bigger plane but can safely say that my 10lb Preceptor with a K45 is more of a challenge and will require more pilot skill than a K60 powered foamy or high wing trainer jets.
It is what it is....until it changes.
The AMA requires functional rudders, while the RoW does not
The AMA also requires brakes on a turboprop taildragger
Old 01-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks shepp!!

Thanks jofunk!!
Old 01-16-2016, 10:59 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Fly a high wing loading foamy EDF at 5000 feet and you will understand turbine lag because it works almost identical.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:12 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Fly a high wing loading foamy EDF at 5000 feet and you will understand turbine lag because it works almost identical.
But with todays modern Turbines there really isn't any lag time on throttle response at normal sea level.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:41 AM
ltc

Originally Posted by Greg Wright
But with todays modern Turbines there really isn't any lag time on throttle response at normal sea level.
Perhaps, but you can't expect to be able to 'punch out' from trouble like you might be able to do with a large prop electric plane (2m F3A pattern or 50cc electric aerobatic)
The turbine simply has to be produce a delay between throttle, spool up and thrust/reaction...I can't see the physics working any different.

As mentioned by a previous poster, you have to always be ahead of the power curve with a turbine aircraft compared to a more conventional prop plane.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:30 AM
F-16 viperman

Exactly, and in addition, since the power area is so concentrated, the acceleration process takes longer to progress but has a way higher velocity. Thats why jets can go so fast with a lower static thrust to weight ratio. top speed is achieved when tailpipe static thrust exit velocity versus parasitic drag of the airframe equalize. Newton's law.

Last edited by F-16 viperman; 01-17-2016 at 11:34 AM.