Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New to RC turbine jets

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New to RC turbine jets

Old 01-12-2016, 04:56 PM
JSchram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC turbine jets

I've been flying EDF foamies for a couple years now and am very comfortable doing it. I'm in aw of the turbine engines and would like to get my feet wet. What would you suggest as a starting point for this? Anyone know of anyone in Illinois to teach or mentor?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hold on tight for the flaming that is coming. I would suggest finding a turbine trainer model and some people with experience until you get the hang of the processes it takes to work with a turbine. I'm sure there will be many who don't want to give that friendly of advice.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:08 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to be more specific about your location, if you are a secret agent under cover you could use the AMA turbine waiver list to see if anyone is close to your area. My advice is to do your homework and look around at the different turbine manufacturers, for a beginner I recommend you stay away from used stuff. It is a big blow to a new person to have to buy something twice when you are just starting out. Get a new turbine in a size that fits the air frame sizes you are interested in and that fits your budget, if you have one. I recommend you start with some kind of turbine trainer, I know some started with a twin A-10 but I still say get a trainer until you become familiar with the operation of turbines and you are comfortable. Good luck!

Luke
Old 01-12-2016, 08:00 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Luke...

I am your Father.....

I agree 100% with Luke. EDF gave you the rush to chase more, but Turbine's are a major responsibility. Follow the process of seeking a mentor and going forward from there. My advice is to start off on a trainer jet and learn how to operate it, maintain it and and enjoy the learning curve.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:36 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JSchram
I've been flying EDF foamies for a couple years now and am very comfortable doing it. I'm in aw of the turbine engines and would like to get my feet wet. What would you suggest as a starting point for this? Anyone know of anyone in Illinois to teach or mentor?

Thanks!
Where in Illinois do you live?
Old 01-13-2016, 06:46 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are very perfect pilot in large scale prop planes and enjoyed the EDFs then it shouldn't be hard to make the transition. Just follow the advice of the guys and seek out a field with current jet pilots and ask for help. I haven't meet anyone in this hobby that is not ready to give advice ...

You will find that the jet guys are really cool and want to help to make sure you fly safe.

Oh yea than can save you a lot money if you listen to them. The trail and error is very costly in turbines.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:10 AM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi JSchram,

I have a Boomerang XL airframe in Thunderbird colors available. It has never been banged up. I flew it with an AMT mercury and a Kingtech 170. It is a good first jet. It is big, forgiving, and will accept a wide range of engines. You can research the plane, there are a lot of them out there.I don't know where you are in Illinois but I am in Willow Springs, about 10 minutes from Midway airport.

Joe Felonk
Old 01-13-2016, 09:11 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jws_aces
If you are very perfect pilot in large scale prop planes and enjoyed the EDFs then it shouldn't be hard to make the transition. Just follow the advice of the guys and seek out a field with current jet pilots and ask for help. I haven't meet anyone in this hobby that is not ready to give advice ...

You will find that the jet guys are really cool and want to help to make sure you fly safe.

Oh yea than can save you a lot money if you listen to them. The trail and error is very costly in turbines.
This.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Hmmm......

New member, won't tell us where he lives, hasn't responded to any comments; I'm suspicious

There's a similar type thread over on FG where a guy wants help building a very large model capable of carry quite a bit of "liquid fertilizer" to spray his crops. He's also new, hasn't responded to questions and so on.

Speculation over on FG is that it might be some 'gubment type trying to see if we AMA folks really do police ourselves. Seems pretty far fetched but after what we've learned the last few years about how much "spying" has been going on, I wouldn't rule it out.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:48 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

best to buy a used jet to start off and also be sport with a wide gear stance.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:50 PM
emilsanto
My Feedback: (39)

Originally Posted by jofunk
Hi JSchram,

I have a Boomerang XL airframe in Thunderbird colors available. It has never been banged up. I flew it with an AMT mercury and a Kingtech 170. It is a good first jet. It is big, forgiving, and will accept a wide range of engines. You can research the plane, there are a lot of them out there.I don't know where you are in Illinois but I am in Willow Springs, about 10 minutes from Midway airport.

Joe Felonk
just for the heck of it what price might you be asking for the bommer xl.? im looking for a good trainer jet myself
thanks
Old 01-13-2016, 05:58 PM
JSchram

Hey guys, thank you kindly for the the advice and things to look for. I'm on shift today and this is the first opportunity I've gotten to reply today. I assure you Mr. Zeeb that I'm not your "liquid fertilizer" guy who reincarnated himself as a new member looking to spy on the forums. Just a guy who is really interested in another version of the rc flying hobby. I'm in Schaumburg, IL. Joe Felonk- I'll look into that model. Joe/Greg- I know it's winter but if you ever get out and fly or do some maintenance on your jets, it would be really cool to get an intro to what your doing. Or if you have a contact for mentoring send me a
message.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:21 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for an ultra flash. Lands super slow and you won't have to buy another jet when you've gained experience and are ready to move up. Honestly lands slower than my habu 32 and foamies haha
Old 01-14-2016, 04:44 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by txshan130
Go for an ultra flash. Lands super slow and you won't have to buy another jet when you've gained experience and are ready to move up. Honestly lands slower than my habu 32 and foamies haha
Agreed with that. Someone who's been succesful at EDFs and other high speed models will quickly get bored with a Jet Trainer. Models like the Flash have such a wide envelope, in my opinion a better trainer than something that lands at 5mph!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:31 AM
Greg Wright

JSchram

I sent you a PM.

I live out in Aurora IL. This is my most recent project i was talking about..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2953.JPG
Views:	540
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	2141295  
Old 01-14-2016, 05:51 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

One thing I would warn a beginner about in regards to a Flash or even a Euro sport is that you cannot easily access your turbine on these aircraft once they are in the flight/start-up configuration. For the life of me I don't know why CARF doesn't put a hatch to access the turbines on these models. I would suggest an aircraft that has easy access to the turbine when starting, so u can see immediately if things start going wrong.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:41 AM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by emilsanto
just for the heck of it what price might you be asking for the bommer xl.? im looking for a good trainer jet myself
thanks
Hi Emil,
I sent you a PM
Old 01-14-2016, 08:00 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

I second ultra flash or ultra lightning, both very strong aeroplanes. For the money ultra flash is a better choice.

Used ones on the market range from $5500-$6500 in good condition with 120-160N turbines.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:17 PM
cigartoyz

Originally Posted by txshan130
I second the ultra flash. It was my first turbine jet. Its the perfect first jet. Very easy to learn on and you can whip it around harder than most other jets. I have a cheetah in mine and the plane is amazing. I actually flew it yesterday for the first time in about 10 months since I got my F16......definitely an awesome jet!
Old 01-14-2016, 02:20 PM
cigartoyz

Originally Posted by mugenkidd
One thing I would warn a beginner about in regards to a Flash or even a Euro sport is that you cannot easily access your turbine on these aircraft once they are in the flight/start-up configuration. For the life of me I don't know why CARF doesn't put a hatch to access the turbines on these models. I would suggest an aircraft that has easy access to the turbine when starting, so u can see immediately if things start going wrong.
IMO you will hear if something is wrong with the turbine on startup. There really is no need to access it when starting it up. In all reality the only thing that you would have an issue with is a hot start and with the full bypass on the U flash it will just blow out of the pipe.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Greg Wright

In all reality the only thing that you would have an issue with is a hot start and with the full bypass on the U flash it will just blow out of the pipe.[/QUOTE]

Not always true!!!!

This is the worst info i have ever heard...
Old 01-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Greg Wright

Originally Posted by cigartoyz
IMO you will hear if something is wrong with the turbine on startup. There really is no need to access it when starting it up. In all reality the only thing that you would have an issue with is a hot start and with the full bypass on the U flash it will just blow out of the pipe.

This is the worst information i have ever heard.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:35 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

The uFlash can be so fast that i would not recommend it to a beginner. It can get away from you in case of visual challenges if you don't manage the throttle. Also some have trouble slowing it down for landing (Not an airplane problem, but a potential challenge for a beginner).
Old 01-15-2016, 08:31 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a thought for you, becuase you are already used to EDF but havn't flown a heavy fiber glass model why not move up to a larger fiberglass EDF jet.
Take a look at the jet teng models xxx - http://www.usarcjets.com/cgi-bin/sho...9.htm#Jets!JTM
It's a $1200 jet that's very well built, put it together EDF and fly it for a few months and get your wavier with it which you can even to on electric (unless something has chaged)

Then sell of the EDF unit, and convert the plane to turbine
just another option for you
Old 01-15-2016, 10:38 AM
why_fly_high
My Feedback: (19)

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron101
I have a thought for you, becuase you are already used to EDF but havn't flown a heavy fiber glass model why not move up to a larger fiberglass EDF jet.
Take a look at the jet teng models xxx - http://www.usarcjets.com/cgi-bin/sho...9.htm#Jets!JTM
It's a $1200 jet that's very well built, put it together EDF and fly it for a few months and get your wavier with it which you can even to on electric (unless something has chaged)

Then sell of the EDF unit, and convert the plane to turbine
just another option for you
Yes, that changed a while back. You must fly a turbine to get your waiver.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.