Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Its Official: AMA says we are now required to register.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Its Official: AMA says we are now required to register.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:34 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Its Official: AMA says we are now required to register.

Read 'em and weep:

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ked-questions/

Yup, your club will MAKE you do it. And jet rallies too.

#murica
Old 01-19-2016, 02:49 PM
ravill

My number: FA3RHFPCFP

It will be tattooed to my forearm this week when I check in to my new "re-education" detention center.

And it expires in 2019. I bet that means I'll have to pay even more then.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:52 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Cavalry is Not Coming.

If you feel strongly about protecting your freedoms, Here's the Fund.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:09 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
Read 'em and weep:

Yup, your club will MAKE you do it. And jet rallies too.
#murica
OK, OK, let's not go off the deep end on this just yet! The AMA is working with the FAA to try and make the registration process transparent for AMA members in the future - they just could not get it done before the Feb 19th deadline. Let's wait and see what the outcome of all of this will be before we throw in the towel.

Also, the AMA has said that registration is between the individual and the FAA - its is a *club* decision of whether or not to enforce registration as a club rule. Of course if they can work on the registration issue with the FAA, then ultimately the point will be moot. Hopefully, must clubs will not jump on the bandwagon to become the registration police - mine has not...

Bob
Old 01-19-2016, 03:11 PM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by BrightGarden

That's funny! The website says that the "fund" is to "address":

FAA's violation of Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, which prohibits the FAA from promulgating rules regarding "model aircraft" (drones used for recreational purposes).

Hum, I wonder who got that provision passed into law is the first place?!?!?

Bob
Old 01-19-2016, 03:58 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyway you look at it, it SUC**
Old 01-19-2016, 03:59 PM
stevekott

Be careful, Obama is getting ready to issue an executive order to prosecute undocumented drone pilots. You know, to show he's tough on national security
Old 01-19-2016, 04:07 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rhklenke
OK, OK, let's not go off the deep end on this just yet! The AMA is working with the FAA to try and make the registration process transparent for AMA members in the future - they just could not get it done before the Feb 19th deadline. Let's wait and see what the outcome of all of this will be before we throw in the towel.

Also, the AMA has said that registration is between the individual and the FAA - its is a *club* decision of whether or not to enforce registration as a club rule. Of course if they can work on the registration issue with the FAA, then ultimately the point will be moot. Hopefully, must clubs will not jump on the bandwagon to become the registration police - mine has not...

Bob
There is absolutely no reason for clubs to enforce registration. According to the reg. individuals found in violation are personally liable. The AMA has not advised us of any club liability if a non registered individual flies at our field.

As VP of a local club we have no intention of becoming policemen for the FAA. Additionally we have a number of members who don't fly. So why should they need to register?

There may be a few misguided self righteous individuals who might want to take this on. Maybe they can also check drivers licenses and green cards for everyone that shows up at the field.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joeflyer
There is absolutely no reason for clubs to enforce registration. According to the reg. individuals found in violation are personally liable. The AMA has not advised us of any club liability if a non registered individual flies at our field.

As VP of a local club we have no intention of becoming policemen for the FAA. Additionally we have a number of members who don't fly. So why should they need to register?

There may be a few misguided self righteous individuals who might want to take this on. Maybe they can also check drivers licenses and green cards for everyone that shows up at the field.
In order to settle this issue with our club membership I sent an email to the AMA this afternoon requesting specific 'in-writing' clarification regarding whether the AMA 'WILL REQUIRE' our club to verify that all members who fly have registered with the FAA.

I'm hoping to hear back shortly and will let everyone know when I do

Bill H.
Sec/Treasurer
Kishwaukee R/C Flyers
Charter 258
Old 01-19-2016, 05:37 PM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
In order to settle this issue with our club membership I sent an email to the AMA this afternoon requesting specific 'in-writing' clarification regarding whether the AMA 'WILL REQUIRE' our club to verify that all members who fly have registered with the FAA.

I'm hoping to hear back shortly and will let everyone know when I do

Bill H.
Sec/Treasurer
Kishwaukee R/C Flyers
Charter 258
This was posted on the AMA blog a week or so ago:

Chad Budreau January 11, 2016 at 13:15
We will be updating our club officers and leader members soon with more details.
The short answer is No. Clubs are not required to police Federal registration, that decision is up to each club. Registration compliance does not affect your membership or insurance.

It will be interesting to see if that has changed...

Bob
Old 01-19-2016, 05:54 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Can I move to Canada or Italy? Do you guys have these stupid issues?

The $5 tax to sign up makes me laugh. By now they have well over one million dollars in fees and your telling me the FAA / Government is going to refund it? Rrrright. After collecting how much in interest? Can I get my rebate plus interest earned?
Ridiculous...

Thanks drondiots!!
Old 01-19-2016, 06:41 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rhklenke
This was posted on the AMA blog a week or so ago:

Chad Budreau January 11, 2016 at 13:15
We will be updating our club officers and leader members soon with more details.
The short answer is No. Clubs are not required to police Federal registration, that decision is up to each club. Registration compliance does not affect your membership or insurance.

It will indeed be interesting to see if that has changed...

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the information and link to the AMA blog where the question was asked and answered.....at least at that time.

It will be interesting to see if I receive the same answer.

Bill
Old 01-19-2016, 06:56 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by stevekott
Be careful, Obama is getting ready to issue an executive order to prosecute undocumented drone pilots. You know, to show he's tough on national security
Yeah but will I get free healthcare and in state tuition?
Old 01-19-2016, 08:59 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro

The $5 tax to sign up makes me laugh. By now they have well over one million dollars in fees and your telling me the FAA / Government is going to refund it? Rrrright. After collecting how much in interest? Can I get my rebate plus interest earned?
Ridiculous...

Thanks drondiots!!
Its free if you register before Jan 21st
Old 01-19-2016, 10:01 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's not fret, Trump will kick all undocumented drone pilots out the country and build a fence 400' high... All without raising taxes and forcing Pegasus to pay for it.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:04 PM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Its free if you register before Jan 21st
Well, maybe, but it won't be very free when this happens and someone uses your CC info to buy all the new toys you can afford them:
comment:
Roger McClurg January 11, 2016 at 12:41
The FAA registration site still requires a credit card that they debit for $5. The FAA then credits the $5 back a week or so later. The FAA’s site is so poorly designed that one individual’s personal and credit card information was presented to another registrant when he went to verify his own information. This is outrageous. If the FAA is not going to charge us, then they should not require credit information on such a poorly designed site.

Be *very* careful what card you use if you register! How long do you think it'll be before this FAA database gets announced as having been "hacked"? I predict it's only a matter of when, not if.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:50 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

You have the right to remain silent. Do so.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:53 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro

Ridiculous...

Thanks drondiots!!
They already have been refunding it. What is 0% interest on $5 for 3 weeks?
Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah OK...you FPV guys bring down the government on everyone's head..and then you ask for a hand out to fight them all whilst saying that the AMA won't help and is bed with the FAA...lol. Oh that's precious.

Put together a fund to ban all FPV and I'll gladly give!!!

Last edited by Vettster; 01-20-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:54 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill

My number: FA3RHFPCFP

It will be tattooed to my forearm this week when I check in to my new "re-education" detention center.

And it expires in 2019. I bet that means I'll have to pay even more then.
Negative. Wall Street and the Top 1% will have to pay for it.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:56 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stevekott
True dat. We need someone who will shut down borders to prevent rapists, drug dealers, and drone pilots from coming to our country.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:22 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

I registered on Dec 21 and paid my $5.00. I did not receive the refund until Monday, if I had not received my refund by Jan 21 I was going to dispute the charges with my credit card provider. The FAA will refund it just takes a while.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:27 AM
ravill

Remember, we "the government", will take care of you and tell you how best to enjoy your life, hobby, liberty and your pursuit of happiness.

Trust us.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:29 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

If you hear: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you".

RUN!
Old 01-20-2016, 12:51 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RBardin
Well, maybe, but it won't be very free when this happens and someone uses your CC info to buy all the new toys you can afford them:
comment:
Roger McClurg January 11, 2016 at 12:41
The FAA registration site still requires a credit card that they debit for $5. The FAA then credits the $5 back a week or so later. . This is outrageous. If the FAA is not going to charge us, then they should not require credit information on such a poorly designed site.

Be *very* careful what card you use if you register! How long do you think it'll be before this FAA database gets announced as having been "hacked"? I predict it's only a matter of when, not if.
Curious where you heard this "The FAA’s site is so poorly designed that one individual’s personal and credit card information was presented to another registrant when he went to verify his own information".

This seems rather unlikely since when I log into my account, my credit card information isn't there. They didn't even reveal my credit card information other than the last 4 digits on the confirmation I received to confirm payment. I find it difficult to see how they will show someone else information that isn't in the database. Just because you pay with a credit card doesn't mean they store your card information.

As for their database being hacked, that's always a possiblity. Of course if they don't store card information there, and I'm almost certain they don't, I don't see a lot of motivation to go to the trouble..

As for someone buying a bunch of stuff using your card information, if your credit card company doesn't immediately remove all such charges to your card immediately upon being notified they are fraudulent, you need a new credit card company..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.