Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Its Official: AMA says we are now required to register.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Its Official: AMA says we are now required to register.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:47 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
You have the right to remain silent. Do so.
Brilliant.

Originally Posted by Vettster
Yeah OK...you FPV guys bring down the government on everyone's head..and then you ask for a hand out to fight them all whilst saying that the AMA won't help and is bed with the FAA...lol. Oh that's precious.

Put together a fund to ban all FPV and I'll gladly give!!!
Sorry, you must have me confused with someone that actually is an FPV flyer and owner. I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:12 PM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevekott
Be careful, Obama is getting ready to issue an executive order to prosecute undocumented drone pilots. You know, to show he's tough on national security
Amazing how an undocumented "drone" pilot will get hammered while Hillary with all the sensitive data on her sloppy secret unsecure personal server & email address, doesn't.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BrightGarden

Sorry, you must have me confused with someone that actually is an FPV flyer and owner. I'm not sure what you're talking about.
Is this not YOU speaking Here..http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=663

Here's what the link says...;.

Strongly Agree - it is the dawn of new needed accountability by AMA.
We don't need to be administered to, as is the current MO of the AMA - >we< are the AMA.
From the communiques and videos I don't sense an organization that is on the ball. I'm not here to take pot shots, I am here to move the AMA toward better service and communications, like any other not-for-profit.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:15 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dubd
Let's not fret, Trump will kick all undocumented drone pilots out the country and build a fence 400' high... All without raising taxes and forcing Pegasus to pay for it.
That's pretty funny! Good one!

-Ed B.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:40 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Vettster;12164826]Is this not YOU speaking Here..http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=663

Yes,,,, and I am not sure how you are interpreting this.

I think my concern about FAA and AMA represents anyone who flies traditional, LOS.

Here's where I am keeping track of what seems anything material to the conversation - hard info whenever I come across it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=532637 - I am fully on the record.

Update - Here is me at my most threatening and dangerous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAMc4jeV0rw
That's how I roll.

Last edited by BrightGarden; 01-20-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:13 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

I have removed a few posts that had wandered well off the topic and into the realms of politics.

If anyone feels slighted I am sorry, at least one of the posts was a very interesting and alternative view of the topic. If you wish to discuss it further there is a similar thread running in the clubhouse, which as you all know is moderated less severely.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:21 AM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Curious where you heard this "The FAA’s site is so poorly designed that one individual’s personal and credit card information was presented to another registrant when he went to verify his own information".

This seems rather unlikely since when I log into my account, my credit card information isn't there. They didn't even reveal my credit card information other than the last 4 digits on the confirmation I received to confirm payment. I find it difficult to see how they will show someone else information that isn't in the database. Just because you pay with a credit card doesn't mean they store your card information.

As for their database being hacked, that's always a possiblity. Of course if they don't store card information there, and I'm almost certain they don't, I don't see a lot of motivation to go to the trouble..

As for someone buying a bunch of stuff using your card information, if your credit card company doesn't immediately remove all such charges to your card immediately upon being notified they are fraudulent, you need a new credit card company..
Hi Wayne,
The comment was copied & pasted from the comment section of the link I provided. It was about half-way down at that time, written by Roger McClurg.

I agree with Roger's comment about it being ridiculous for us to have to provide credit card information to the FAA. I also don't think the FAA are experts at financial security, and this comment seems to prove that pretty early on in the process.

If you trust them with your CC info, have at it. Even if your CC company refunds you, you'll still have to deal with the mess.

Last edited by RBardin; 01-21-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:30 AM
jmiles1941

Originally Posted by joeflyer
There is absolutely no reason for clubs to enforce registration. According to the reg. individuals found in violation are personally liable. The AMA has not advised us of any club liability if a non registered individual flies at our field.

As VP of a local club we have no intention of becoming policemen for the FAA. Additionally we have a number of members who don't fly. So why should they need to register?

There may be a few misguided self righteous individuals who might want to take this on. Maybe they can also check drivers licenses and green cards for everyone that shows up at the field.
you are wrong it is part of AMA , you must have your FAA card now to renew your membership or you don't join , get over it it is now part of the AMA requirements or quit flying !!!!!!
Old 01-21-2016, 08:35 AM
jmiles1941

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Its free if you register before Jan 21st
I got my 5 dollars back dec 28 I registered dec 21 you get it back
Old 01-21-2016, 08:50 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jmiles1941
you are wrong it is part of AMA , you must have your FAA card now to renew your membership or you don't join , get over it it is now part of the AMA requirements or quit flying !!!!!!
Where the heck did you get THAT?!?! So far, the AMA's stance is that AMA membership is totally separated from FAA registration at this time...

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 01-21-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:00 AM
jmiles1941

Originally Posted by rhklenke
Where the heck did you get THAT?!?! So far, the AMA's stance is that registration is totally separated from FAA registration at this time...

Bob
if you look AMA is trying to work out one registeration with AMA and FAA together I believe it is line 10 on the ama response , our club is requiring FAA cards
Old 01-21-2016, 09:05 AM
jmiles1941

We understand there are AMA members who do not have a computer or do not want to submit a credit card during the application process. We discussed with the FAA the use of a paper application, which currently is only available at local FAA Flight Standards Ditrict Offices (FSDO). To make these paper applications easier to obtain, AMA is working to acquire these documents, which we can send to members who request them. As for members who are willing to register online, but cannot or do not want to submit credit card information, the FAA has agreed to accept gift credit cards such as Visa or Mastercard.
For those clubs that own a model aircraft as an organization and not as an individual, we requested clarification as to how to register the model. We concluded that those models should be registered under the registration of one of the club leaders. To protect that club leader who voluntarily placed his number in or on the club aircraft, the member should have a written document from the club indicating he or she should not be held responsible and is simply providing a registration number on behalf of the club.
Finally, there is confusion around whether members register themselves or their aircraft. Members register themselves and place their number in or on their aircraft.
At the end of our meeting with the FAA, we invited FAA representatives to join the AMA leadership at a nearby flying site to showcase firsthand AMA’s safety protocols, demonstrate club camaraderie and mentoring, and provide the opportunity for the FAA to speak with AMA members in-person.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:25 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

No, you are wrong! There is no good reason for any individual club to take on the task of being FAA policemen. Why would non-flying and associate members need to register? If someone is caught flying after Feb.19th without registering then he is personally liable, not the club or AMA. I suggest that you read the regulations and AMA's position before posting any more mis-information.

Here it is in black and white from AMA's website; clubs are not responsible for policing federal registration, and registration does not affect AMA membership or insurance.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama.../#comment-5587

Joe
Old 01-21-2016, 09:25 AM
rhklenke

if you look AMA is trying to work out one registeration with AMA and FAA together I believe it is line 10 on the ama response , our club is requiring FAA cards
That is a function of your club, NOT the AMA. The response from the AMA at this point is that FAA registration is NOT a requirement for AMA membership or insurance. That may change in the future, that as of now, that is the story.

As far as the "combining" of AMA and FAA registration, that is being worked on, but is not in place right now either. When and if it does come, the intent is for AMA membership to "include" FAA registration - that is, the AMA will send your "registration information" to the FAA, and potentially also pay for the FAA registration fee.

Bob

ps. Joe gave you the link to this info. above...
Old 01-21-2016, 10:12 AM
jmiles1941

We understand there are AMA members who do not have a computer or do not want to submit a credit card during the application process. We discussed with the FAA the use of a paper application, which currently is only available at local FAA Flight Standards Ditrict Offices (FSDO). To make these paper applications easier to obtain, AMA is working to acquire these documents, which we can send to members who request them. As for members who are willing to register online, but cannot or do not want to submit credit card information, the FAA has agreed to accept gift credit cards such as Visa or Mastercard.

ok here is my question why would AMA bother with getting FAA applications to its members if they are not going to enforce it . our club is enforcing the rule , that is what I was told no FAA card no membership
Old 01-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Shaun Evans

Originally Posted by j.duncker
I have removed a few posts that had wandered well off the topic and into the realms of politics.

If anyone feels slighted I am sorry, at least one of the posts was a very interesting and alternative view of the topic. If you wish to discuss it further there is a similar thread running in the clubhouse, which as you all know is moderated less severely.

LOL

A few? Don't you mean just mine? At least you're consistent! Leave all the political ones, delete mine (non-political) and then claim you're cleaning up politics. If I thought you had any principle when it comes to your sticky little delete button, I'd dare you to put my post back, then take an informal poll as to whether or not deleting it made any sense (given what you left up there).

I have to wonder if you were as good at sign-twirling as you are at this new job...
Old 01-21-2016, 11:22 AM
rhklenke

ok here is my question why would AMA bother with getting FAA applications to its members if they are not going to enforce it . our club is enforcing the rule , that is what I was told no FAA card no membership
The AMA is trying to find a way for its members to pay who do not want to (or can't) use the internet to register - its a *service* to members and at this point, AMA is NOT requiring its members to register.

What your club is doing is up to your club. There is no provision anywhere in the FAA registration rule for the FAA to take action against a club or organization, or property owner at a site where an "unregistered" UAS is being operated - its completely a matter between the owner of the UAS and the FAA.

Perhaps your club leadership is in need of education...

Bob
Old 01-21-2016, 11:58 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by Shaun Evans
LOL

A few? Don't you mean just mine? At least you're consistent! Leave all the political ones, delete mine (non-political) and then claim you're cleaning up politics. If I thought you had any principle when it comes to your sticky little delete button, I'd dare you to put my post back, then take an informal poll as to whether or not deleting it made any sense (given what you left up there).

I have to wonder if you were as good at sign-twirling as you are at this new job...
Well one of mine was deleted so yours isn't the only ones. No big deal though. Moderator's just doing his job. No worries.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:49 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

I think a lot of this will depend on the location of the club. For example, my club is on public land and rather than risk the state coming back and saying we are breaking the law and possibly terminating our lease, we have chosen to ensure all of our members register. If the club is on private land, then absolutely I could see clubs not requiring it as AMA doesn't.

Arch

Originally Posted by rhklenke
The AMA is trying to find a way for its members to pay who do not want to (or can't) use the internet to register - its a *service* to members and at this point, AMA is NOT requiring its members to register.

What your club is doing is up to your club. There is no provision anywhere in the FAA registration rule for the FAA to take action against a club or organization, or property owner at a site where an "unregistered" UAS is being operated - its completely a matter between the owner of the UAS and the FAA.

Perhaps your club leadership is in need of education...

Bob
Old 01-21-2016, 02:01 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. Our club is on public land as well and this is what we are thinking as well.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:12 PM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by rcpattern
I think a lot of this will depend on the location of the club. For example, my club is on public land and rather than risk the state coming back and saying we are breaking the law and possibly terminating our lease, we have chosen to ensure all of our members register. If the club is on private land, then absolutely I could see clubs not requiring it as AMA doesn't.

Arch
I can see that in that type of a situation. BTW, I'm sure that the vast majority of our club will register - many already had as of our "New Year's Day" flyin a few weeks ago, but the club (on private land) will not be checking it...

Bob
Old 01-21-2016, 02:19 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure why you would make that connection. The AMA is providing a service to facilitate the process for its members. I can think of numerous examples where paperwork is passed out by organizations that don't have enforcement responsibility. I got my drivers license from the Secretary of State and they don't pull anyone over to check, that's a police responsibility. I also get my income tax forms at the Public Library and they don't enforce the tax code.

Although a few individual clubs have decided to be enforcers they are doing so on their own initiative, not as a result of any direction from the AMA.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:38 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dubd
Let's not fret, Trump will kick all undocumented drone pilots out the country and build a fence 400' high... All without raising taxes and forcing Pegasus to pay for it.
Only if you believe what the people who really do want to control your life tell you.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

looks like the AMA is trying to use this FAA opportunity to increase the AMA roles, not stop yet another federal over reach.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:56 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
looks like the AMA is trying to use this FAA opportunity to increase the AMA roles, not stop yet another federal over reach.
I tend to agree.