Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Now that we are forced to register,

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Now that we are forced to register,

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 05:06 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now that we are forced to register,

Now that the AMA has kneeled before the FAA and we have been mandated to use the FAA's scheme of registering our model airplanes...strike that...I mean our" UAS's", I have decided that I will not place the required registration number in an obvious location. Not inside the canopy, not inside a hatch or other location that requires the use of tools either, because that would violate the rules. That would subject me to a longer prison term and a higher fine than a common criminal, like a burglar. Funny how that works.......
When the flaps are up, the number is not visible....when the flaps are down, it is. Ten characters! Why am I not surprised? Four digit AMA number, ten digit FAA number.....go figure. Common AMA and get off dead center and show some cajones!
A "Brother" label maker does the job, and some 5 minute epoxy smooths out the rear spar, allowing the label adhesive to stick.
Here's an example showing the location on my FLY NAVY KingCat.I have done this to my fleet with great results. The FAA inspector won't get to touch my jet this way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06435.JPG
Views:	548
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	2142635  

Last edited by Harley Condra; 01-21-2016 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:35 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be wrong here. I thought I read somewhere that it is not required to put the number inside or on the plane but the pilot is required to carry the FAA certificate with you. Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 01-21-2016, 07:03 AM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Bob-O, I'm correcting you. ;-)

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/#mou

...jim
Old 01-21-2016, 07:16 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I placed mine inside the turkey feathers, so anyone challenging me can read it with the engine running.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:45 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Good Idea. Im unsure of if I am to use my AMA or the FAA number, so I am holding off for now until I get confirmation.

If they come to take my models, they better bring their guns.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:19 AM
spike5150

Originally Posted by essyou35
Good Idea. Im unsure of if I am to use my AMA or the FAA number, so I am holding off for now until I get confirmation.

If they come to take my models, they better bring their guns.
From the FAA link above:

Q47. Is putting my AMA number on my drone enough?
A. No. Not at this time. The registration system will generate a unique FAA registration number, which you must mark on your aircraft.

Q48. Would putting my contact information on my drone be enough?
A. No, you must mark it with the FAA registration number.

Q49. How do I mark my unmanned aircraft with the unique registration number?
A. You may use any method to affix the number, such as permanent marker, label, engraving, or other means, as long as the number is readily accessible and maintained in a condition that is readable and legible upon close visual inspection. If your unmanned aircraft has an easily accessible battery compartment you may affix the number in that compartment.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:31 AM
bcovish

No problem Jim. Must have been one of my senior moments. Damn I'm having a lot of those lately. It's 10:30am and it's nap time💤😴
Old 01-21-2016, 08:53 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for that FAA number, now I can use that one on my model
Old 01-21-2016, 08:57 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

From the AMA FAQ webpage on registration:

Q: Do I need to list both my AMA number and my federal registration number on my aircraft?
A: Possibly. We are advocating to allow members to use their AMA numbers. We believe an AMA membership already meets the intent of registration. It should not be necessary for our members to register again through the FAA when they are already registered with the AMA.

This is a change from before where they said that AMA numbers only would suffice. Hopefully it will get worked out such that AMA numbers alone will be sufficient. Until I hear otherwise, only my AMA number is in my models...

Bob
Old 01-21-2016, 10:45 AM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

The people afraid of the government = Tyranny

The government afraid of the people = freedom
Old 01-21-2016, 10:59 AM
essyou35

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with you, but I am also weary of the AMA now, since they keep trying to contradict the FAA then telling us to comply anyways.

Originally Posted by rhklenke
From the AMA FAQ webpage on registration:

Q: Do I need to list both my AMA number and my federal registration number on my aircraft?
A: Possibly. We are advocating to allow members to use their AMA numbers. We believe an AMA membership already meets the intent of registration. It should not be necessary for our members to register again through the FAA when they are already registered with the AMA.

This is a change from before where they said that AMA numbers only would suffice. Hopefully it will get worked out such that AMA numbers alone will be sufficient. Until I hear otherwise, only my AMA number is in my models...

Bob
Old 01-21-2016, 02:01 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are not "forced" to register...just fly off the grid.

Name:	flag.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	2142691  
Old 01-21-2016, 02:03 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

there is no requirement on size ... so use the smallest font possible.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:17 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the tip, Harley. It is now *painfully* obvious the FAA was patronizing the AMA's participation in the "process" all these years with nothing but patronizing lip service.
MDW
Old 01-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Skymac

I did the same thing except made it half the size and placed it on the inside of a gear door.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:12 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

How about micro laser engraving on the canopy, HA!
Old 01-22-2016, 06:03 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Harley, that is a great idea. I was wondering where to put the number on my KingCat as it requires a tool to remove the canopy/ hatch. Love it. I will use the smallest font I can print.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:41 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by FalconWings
I placed mine inside the turkey feathers, so anyone challenging me can read it with the engine running.
That is exactly were I put mine too on my Viper!! Great spot that isn't seen, yet there if it needs to be seen by the LEO.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 01-22-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:37 AM
F-16 viperman

Good idea harley. I'll use that if I register. The uncensored lyrics of "AMERICAN IDIOT" by Green Day, say everything people with a clue need to know what's going on here.

Name:	Herman Munster.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2142811  
Old 01-22-2016, 11:42 AM
SushiHunter

I got my FAA number and AMA number on my planes. My planes wear these numbers proudly just like my vintage muscle car wears it's factory badging and aftermarket performance equipment stickers And now I focus on enjoying flying my planes without having to 1) worry that I am in violation of any rules, regulations and/or laws with the FAA, AMA and/or club I fly at, 2) no longer spend my time thinking about how requirements have changed. I'll reevaluate this in three years if the fee increases.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:59 PM
BrightGarden

I support the only lawsuit against the trampling of freedom and destruction of quality of life this FAA reg represents, that I am aware of at this point.
I fully support regulations on certain forms of RC.

You fly traditional planes, heli's, multirotors, the AMA rules are sufficient.

You
1. Add a camera
2. Add FPV
3. Add GPS
4. Add autonomous capaility
5. Fly BLOS
6. Fly for commercial purposes
And/Or
7. Fly in the NAS

then new regs apply.

I'm completely against this heinous pattern of rule and law making in the US, inaugurated by Obamacare, where millions of people are thrown into a grinder, and the legislators/rulemakers take the "We'll figure it out later" approach. This MO needs to be thwarted. Lawsuit is the language WDC understands. The measures enacted by the FAA >obviously< exceed what's necessary. If you want any Fed agency to use the precedence created in this situation to install more/ worse ridiculous restrictions in the future, than roll over for these. Have the lawmakers and rulemakers actually do some work and produce good regs and laws - that's all I am saying.

I'd like to have offline, live conversations with some of you who aren't bothered by the fact that the reg ruthlessly obliterated decent, law-abiding RC flying in a 2827 square mile area. No kites, no C/L flying, no nothing. That doesn't sound onerous to you? Wait for worse things to come...

Full disclosure: I have a lot to gain if the regs stay in place.

1. I fly RC
2. I have a private pilot rating, deep into IFR training, leading to commercial.
3. I am a part time architecture/real estate photographer.

I can apply for and get the 333 exemption while those without any full-scale pilot certificate will have to spend at least $5k to get the basic rating needed.
It is to my advantage to roll with the FAA regs - but that wouldn't be right. I would rather see fuller justice.

Last edited by BrightGarden; 01-22-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:20 PM
Auburn02

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
You fly traditional planes, heli's, multirotors, the AMA rules are sufficient.

You
7. Fly in the NAS

then new regs apply.
One small bone to pick - the second your model leaves the ground, you're flying in the NAS.

Carry on.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:45 PM
joancmigneault

I registered. I still want my "N" number
Old 01-22-2016, 07:39 PM
BrightGarden

Originally Posted by Auburn02
One small bone to pick - the second your model leaves the ground, you're flying in the NAS.

Carry on.
Yes, that is a weird and unsustainable element of the new regs.
That and model airplanes are equivalent to full scale airplanes.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:33 PM
ivesdo

You gotta love it. The AMA told us to hold off registering just long enough to cause us to now pay the registration fee. Not a large amount, but I would have registered in December if they hadn't said, "BUT WAIT". Grrr. Perhaps I ought to deduct the fee from my AMA dues next year and see what they think. Bet that doesn't work at all. I usually don't gripe about stuff, but this whole affair was totally mis-handled from the beginning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.