Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine inflight restart system

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine inflight restart system

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 04:21 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Turbine inflight restart system

Check this inflight turbine restart system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPoRI5S1biY&sns=em
Old 02-02-2016, 04:47 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting. I wonder how the sensor would know if you had a failure due to a broken fuel line...in which case trying to restart would result in KABOOOM!
I've had internal festos crack and leak lots of fuel in the air.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:52 AM
RonTins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FalconWings
Interesting. I wonder how the sensor would know if you had a failure due to a broken fuel line...in which case trying to restart would result in KABOOOM!
I've had internal festos crack and leak lots of fuel in the air.
I think its safe to say that this is a brilliant innovation in the jet rc world. We can argue that car seatbelts will be of no use if while driving down a highway, a projectile comes crashing through your windshield striking you in your chest, but it still saves lives from crashes, certain crashes that is asuuming one isnt driving reckless... I love this innovation..
Old 02-02-2016, 07:57 AM
mikedenilin
My Feedback: (67)

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, nice idea.

I saw a similar system developed by anaeronautical school in China a while back. They use that to restart UAV. I think it would be available soon to our jet community. The restart takes about 5-6 seconds, and should give us enough air time if we have enough airspeed and height.

I will look for a video of it later.

Mike
Old 02-02-2016, 08:19 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

That is fantastic!! I know on my full scale stuff it has an auto relight system and that would really be nice in our jets.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:54 AM
FalconWings

Originally Posted by gunradd
That is fantastic!! I know on my full scale stuff it has an auto relight system and that would really be nice in our jets.
Dude you fly a real F-16? :-)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:55 AM
FalconWings

Originally Posted by RonTins
I think its safe to say that this is a brilliant innovation in the jet rc world. We can argue that car seatbelts will be of no use if while driving down a highway, a projectile comes crashing through your windshield striking you in your chest, but it still saves lives from crashes, certain crashes that is asuuming one isnt driving reckless... I love this innovation..
I agree I just really wonder if it can detect a leak issue.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:56 AM
gunradd

Dude you fly a real F-16? :-)
No I wish lol. On our helicopters
Old 02-02-2016, 09:15 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Back a few years ago Tom Dodgeson would climb his Bobcat up to altitude, shut it down, glide around then restart it and fly some more. I think it was one of the early JetCat autostart P80s.

Last edited by tp777fo; 02-02-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

nice idea...I can think of several jets I would still have right now with a restart Any details on this, is it a software upgrade only??
Vin...

Last edited by Vincent; 02-02-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:48 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Long ago I did a bunch of inflight restarts with propane start P-80's. Trick was to have enough altitude to have the time for the engine to cool down and get below the rpm/temperature criteria for a start. In the meantime, you'd want to position for a possible dead stick landing.

Still, most of the time when I've had flameouts, it's been little more than a single 180 deg turn and maybe 30 seconds before the wheels were on the ground.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:52 AM
FalconWings

No I wish lol. On our helicopters
Woha! I make helos buddy. Watcha got?

You need one of these!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	apu.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	2144882  
Old 02-02-2016, 11:35 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

What a brilliant development and one I have long had in mind. The BS Viper in the RAF Jet Provost ( I instructed on it for 3 years, so a bit of experience) had an auto ignition system which was a ceramic glow plug so that in the event of a flameout due fuel starvation the engine immediately relit when fuel was restored. In 3 years on the training unit we never experienced any flameout problems that were not dealt with by this automatic system, simple, worked ! I believe that most flameouts on model jet engines are caused by fuel interruption such as bubbles etc.,

Airliner engine also also have auto ignition when flaps are extended or engine anti- ice is switched on by that requires HE igniters, not practical on model jets.

Great advance by Jets Munt , must add it to my truly delightful Merlin 100, a brilliant engine !

Last edited by David Gladwin; 02-02-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:39 AM
RonTins

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
What a brilliant development and one I have long had in mind. The BS Viper in the RAF Jet Provost ( I instructed on it for 3 years, so a bit of experience) had an auto ignition system which was a ceramic glow plug so that in the event of a flameout due fuel starvation the engine immediately relit when fuel was restored. In 3 years on the training unit we never experienced any flameout problems that were not dealt with by this automatic system, simple, worked !

Airliner engine also also have auto ignition when flaps are extended or engine anti- ice is switched on by that requires HE igniters, not practical on model jets.

Great advance by Jets Munt , must add it to my truly delightful Merlin 100, a brilliant engine !
I hope all the turbine manufactures will adopt this technology.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:42 AM
RonTins

I agree I just really wonder if it can detect a leak issue.
Great idea Falcon.. Perhaps if the ECU can detect depressurization of the fuel lines and shut down turbine altogether to prevent fire onboard...
Old 02-02-2016, 12:22 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent
nice idea...I can think of several jets I would still have right now with a restart Any details on this, is it a software upgrade only??
Vin...
I would tend to think that its a software upgrade only now that we have kero start engines, but I of course, don't know for sure.

I would think that the two issues are, first, getting the kero at the plug to light given that there might be significant airflow through the engine being that its in mid-flight (but maybe that's not a problem - although the test doesn't show that scenario), and second, detecting that the relight at the kero plug was successful in a hot engine - which you need to do before you ramp up the fuel into the main fuel jets...

Being able to ride out, or restart, after a bubble would eliminate a very high percentage of flameouts, I believe.

Bob
Old 02-02-2016, 12:25 PM
gunradd

Woha! I make helos buddy. Watcha got?

You need one of these!

Nope we have all rolls Royce engines. Here is two of my babies

Name:	FB_IMG_1454444705479.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	2144893  
Old 02-02-2016, 01:51 PM
stevekott

WoW this is great! Way to go Gaspar, always ahead of the pack with your imagination.

Think of all of the planes that could have been saved!!!
Old 02-02-2016, 02:21 PM
FalconWings

Nope we have all rolls Royce engines. Here is two of my babies
Thats an APU for air restart! ��

Here's my baby,she's all grown up now!

Name:	IMAG1154.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	4.48 MB
ID:	2144913  
Old 02-02-2016, 08:45 PM
luge_racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoa, impressive!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:13 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

If you guys enjoyed part 2 of the latest video... here is part 1... https://youtu.be/LxxFJec1ZWk The air bubble shut down which is most common. Say good bye to UAT's

David..
Old 02-03-2016, 02:03 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome!!

i also think that and hope that it's just a software update thing.

it it would save soo many models

thanks

dave
Old 02-03-2016, 02:07 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Naturally I have some affiliation with UAT's but not sure it would be sensible to remove a UAT based on its relative cost/job just because a turbine will re-start, better to provide 'belt and braces' rather than expect the turbine to re-start and have to deal with the delay before power comes back on (assuming it does that is) - even 5 seconds is a lot of time when you are in a critical flight situation, about to rotate, finals etc.

This technology will just make things even more reliable which is great news.

marcs
Old 02-03-2016, 05:55 AM
FalconWings

Originally Posted by marc s
Naturally I have some affiliation with UAT's but not sure it would be sensible to remove a UAT based on its relative cost/job just because a turbine will re-start, better to provide 'belt and braces' rather than expect the turbine to re-start and have to deal with the delay before power comes back on (assuming it does that is) - even 5 seconds is a lot of time when you are in a critical flight situation, about to rotate, finals etc.

This technology will just make things even more reliable which is great news.

marcs
Been' flying a model without a UAT for some time now. I don't discredit them, but a properly laid out fuel installation with good venting makes them unnecessary. In my experience, I've had more problems induced by UAT's than due to lack of them.....all brands. Interestingly enough, your brand has been bullet proof. The only UAT I do have is a GBRJet.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:20 AM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is awesome. A lot of turbine powered planes are going to be saved. Hopefully its a software update.

I also hope that if there is a fuel leak, prior to the restart the pump can put out a certain pressure to the turbine and if the turbine does not sense the same pressure that it will not restart. That way, it doesn't restart with fueling leaking everywhere.

But overall, this is great.

Last edited by Westwindpilot86; 02-03-2016 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.