Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine inflight restart system

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine inflight restart system

Old 02-04-2016, 12:00 PM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by FalconWings
Been' flying a model without a UAT for some time now. I don't discredit them, but a properly laid out fuel installation with good venting makes them unnecessary. In my experience, I've had more problems induced by UAT's than due to lack of them.....all brands. Interestingly enough, your brand has been bullet proof. The only UAT I do have is a GBRJet.
Sorry but this does not hold true.
Every one of my 10 plus jets has some form of UAT, BVM, PST, GBR, Intairco, MAP or home made ( JPX oil tank with centre pickups)

After aerobatics, ( and I fly my models like I was IN them) ALL these Tanks have SOME air in them, even with a felt pickup etc in the main tanks. That air would otherwise have gone to the engine and no doubt interrupted the fuel supply causing a flameout, avoided by the use o f a UAT of some form.

My tank installation is as geometrically and perfect as I can make it, and completely airtight.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:06 PM
Gordon W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience, the only way to prevent an air bubble in the UAT is to refrain from doing certain aerobatics. For instance, the initial low-speed down-line following a stall turn (hammerhead) with low fuel is almost bound to see air sucked into the UAT. It's probably the same for snap rolls and prolonged spins. If you enjoy flying military jets in scale fashion, maybe the only planes to do this kind of manoeuvring would be scale models of jet trainers eg Jet Provost etc.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:24 PM
cmp3cantrj

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
What a brilliant development and one I have long had in mind. The BS Viper in the RAF Jet Provost ( I instructed on it for 3 years, so a bit of experience) had an auto ignition system which was a ceramic glow plug so that in the event of a flameout due fuel starvation the engine immediately relit when fuel was restored. In 3 years on the training unit we never experienced any flameout problems that were not dealt with by this automatic system, simple, worked ! I believe that most flameouts on model jet engines are caused by fuel interruption such as bubbles etc.,

Airliner engine also also have auto ignition when flaps are extended or engine anti- ice is switched on by that requires HE igniters, not practical on model jets.

Great advance by Jets Munt , must add it to my truly delightful Merlin 100, a brilliant engine !
Hmm -my MW44 cut out a couple of months ago so I landed dead stick, having first cycled the throttle stick to confirm that it really had stopped. When the model was sitting stationary on the runway it restarted. Had it been higher/faster when it cut it would still have been in the air. The MW44 uses a Xicoy ECU - seems to me that this facility has been there all along!
Old 02-04-2016, 04:59 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FalconWings
Been' flying a model without a UAT for some time now. I don't discredit them, but a properly laid out fuel installation with good venting makes them unnecessary. In my experience, I've had more problems induced by UAT's than due to lack of them.....all brands. Interestingly enough, your brand has been bullet proof. The only UAT I do have is a GBRJet.
Interesting. How do you prevent your system from ingesting air when the fuel clunk is out of the fuel? ( dive or hardcore aerobatics )
Old 02-05-2016, 12:03 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beyond me too...

marcs
Old 02-05-2016, 07:04 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Uat is a must the way I fly
Old 02-05-2016, 10:08 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon W
From my experience, the only way to prevent an air bubble in the UAT is to refrain from doing certain aerobatics. For instance, the initial low-speed down-line following a stall turn (hammerhead) with low fuel is almost bound to see air sucked into the UAT. It's probably the same for snap rolls and prolonged spins. If you enjoy flying military jets in scale fashion, maybe the only planes to do this kind of manoeuvring would be scale models of jet trainers eg Jet Provost etc.
Any dive with some level of thrust and a partly empty tank will get you to suck air as the clunk will be out of the fuel. Which is absolutely fine!
This is the primary purpose of the UAT: serve as a fuel buffer system that traps the air being sucked from the tank.

There is absolutely no problem in seeing some level of air in the air trap. What is important is to still have a good margin from the minimum fuel level at the end of the flight. This is also why it is so important to check the air trap level AFTER EACH FLIGHT.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:21 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

old video I found of a fuel tank in flight. This video shows why you should use a UAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtbSqEtLQX4
Old 02-05-2016, 01:48 PM
mackeyjones

gunradd I was thinking of that exact video when reading all of this. The only way you could bypass any air problems is by using a bladder that compresses the fuel under pressure inside the tank.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:28 PM
two dogs
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would liked to have had the restart feature on my F14 this past weekend when one of the turbines choked down an air bubble and I had to land on one engine.....not fun

Two Dogs
Old 02-06-2016, 07:48 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this something that is primarily software or is there new hardware involved? Meaning, can we get this for our existing turbines? I have the sky master A-10, I will most likely hold off building it until this is available. Makes too much sense!