Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

OLD AMT 450 not netherlands, Any support out there? and SM 1/5 F-86

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

OLD AMT 450 not netherlands, Any support out there? and SM 1/5 F-86

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:19 PM
CRye
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OLD AMT 450 not netherlands, Any support out there? and SM 1/5 F-86

Anyone know of any support for old AMT engines, service, manual, etc? Reputation of these engines?

Building a 1/5 Skymasters F-86 is there a build thread? I never seem to have much luck with the RCU search engine.

Charles
901-849-4926
Old 02-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Charles,

You should contact the AMT Netherlands guys - they will be your best source of help. These guys will do wherever they can to help, even with it being an USA 450 AMT. They have been of great assistance with all my USA AMT's.

As for the 1/5th SM F-86: follow the SM instructions. There are numerours threads on RCU about this plane, but not a single build thread from my recollection. My own experience of this jet is the following:

- it is heavier than you imagine, keep it light, the 450 is too heavy and the fit between the two new style saddle tanks will be too tight
- it will fly of a hard surface with a 170 turbine, but need a 180 off grass - anything bigger is overkill
- the cg is critical, but the best starting position is where the rear of the canopy meet the fuselage (I am not sure how that compare with the SM manual)
- make sure you have the updated fuel tanks, the amount of fuel in front of the cg has to be minimal (I actuall reduced the size of the new front tank)

Finally, both the 450 AMT engine and the SM F-86 are great products - but not combined. Initially a few guys used big block engines (like the JetCat P-200), but this was because of the old style tanks (all the fuel in front of the cg) and a nose leg that was too short and left the jet with negative AOA. With the big power they simply forced the jet to take off as the wing could not generate the required lift. All this also led a few guys to move the cg too far back (all the nose weight demanded a huge amount of up elevator in turns). So rather build it right, with the right setup or you will just be adding Band Aids all the way.

Cheers,

Jan

Last edited by Springbok Flyer; 02-03-2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:58 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, ok, well that was a great post, the 1/5 F86 was one of the top planes I was thinking of putting my AMT 450 into.

Its currently in a Velox XL but I want something more scale that can handle the weight of this big heavy motor.