Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Just Bowed Down To Tyranny!!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Just Bowed Down To Tyranny!!

Old 02-05-2016, 11:38 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevin_W
The passive-aggressive is strong in this thread!

Kevin,

You still flying any Hornets?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Shaun Evans

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
Have you considered armed take-over of the FAA with your fellow patriots?

(don't forget snacks and French Vanilla creamer)
Interestingly, I think that would probably garner a lot more public support!
Old 02-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaun Evans

Kevin,

You still flying any Hornets?
No, the only Hornet I ever had was the small Yellow AC ducted fan version. I sold that one around 1998 or 99.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Shaun Evans

Oh,

See? I'm thinking all Kevins in Texas are Hornet drivers......
Old 02-09-2016, 07:15 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just saw on the news that over 325000 drone pilots have registered which is more than the commercial airlines at 320000. The FAA is talking it up as a success and proof that the system is working.........
Old 02-09-2016, 08:31 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram-bro
Just saw on the news that over 325000 drone pilots have registered which is more than the commercial airlines at 320000. The FAA is talking it up as a success and proof that the system is working.........
Actually, I understand that 320,000 number is ALL full-size pilots. As far as a FAA talking it up as a success, why can't WE press the FAA to make US the priority in this situation? After all, there are apparently more of US (325,000) than them (320,000).

By the way - just got a AMA e-mail saying that DC's open for flying again. Text follows:

AMA and FAA Reach an Agreement: DC SFRA Back Open to Model Aircraft
Dear members,
AMA and your District IV Government Relations Committee are pleased to report we have reached an agreement with the FAA that allows our members to fly once more inside the DC Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA). On Wednesday, February 10th, you may begin flying operations again.
It is important to note there is no change to the 15nm Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) in DC. The FRZ will continue to be a no-fly zone.
In regards to the DC SFRA, the FAA has issued a permanent NOTAM. This outlines specific parameters to recreational flyers in order to fly in the SFRA. These parameters include flying under a 400' altitude ceiling, only flying platforms that weigh 55 lbs. or less, and only flying during daytime hours. These parameters will apply to everyone flying for recreational purposes inside the SFRA.
We know that AMA members fly safely and responsibly. However, it is critically important that everyone wishing to fly inside the SFRA follow these restrictions and rules. Additionally, we ask that you help pass the word to as many people as possible about these restrictions to ensure everyone knows the limits before taking flight. Ray Stinchcomb, your District IV Government Relations Coordinator, will address these restrictions in an analysis shortly.
While this is a permanent NOTAM to the DC SFRA at the present time, we are working with the FAA to allow special waivers for events. Additionally, if there are no problems with the security partners over time, we will work to obtain permanent waivers for our operations.
The AMA and your District IV Government Relations Committee are continuing efforts to work for you in representing your interests. As we work through the specifics with the FAA, we will continue to update you as quickly as possible. We greatly appreciate your patience to date, but please understand it will take some time to solve these issues.
All of us involved in this effort, including the FAA, do not have any desire to stop recreational flying and enjoyment of this hobby. One of the functions the FAA has is "encouraging and developing civil aeronautics, including new aviation technology" that includes hobby and recreational aviation.
As more and more issues surface on the city, county and state level, we would like to add a few good modelers to our district committee. If you are an active or retired congressional leader or lawyer that understands the legislative processes please drop me an email [email protected], or Ray Stinchcomb an email [email protected] . Let us know your willingness and how you might be able to help represent our hobby by educating our representatives about model aviation.
Now, Go fly and have fun safely.

Last edited by skylark-flier; 02-09-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:46 AM
Shaun Evans

No Kidding!

Take that number, multiply it by $5, and build us our own state-of-the-art flying field with grills, misters and those big massage chairs you see in malls. I find it ironic that after handing us a big nothing-burger, the AMA then ups its membership fees.... :/
Old 02-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Ram-bro

I am hoping that a contest director will have an event and it not be sponsored by the AMA, but as long as each participant have some type of proof of insurance......especially since ama insurance is only a filler
Old 02-09-2016, 05:15 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I did mine as well, guess I need to make a file folder to keep all of the legalities in order to fly my toy airplane. Bet the rates will dramatically change once it has been considered a standard.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:42 AM
jetflyr

Originally Posted by Ram-bro
I am hoping that a contest director will have an event and it not be sponsored by the AMA, but as long as each participant have some type of proof of insurance......especially since ama insurance is only a filler
You are looking at personal liability/medical. The biggest fault is landowner and public liability. You have not talked about that - but would make any event prohibitively expensive to have.
Greg
Old 02-10-2016, 02:07 PM
Ram-bro

your homeowners and umbrella policy will cover all this before the AMA kicks in.......ask me how I know
Old 02-10-2016, 05:59 PM
TTRotary

Well, as of today, I am a big fan of registration.

Situation: Haven't been to the field in a while due to work etc. (it takes me 1 hr to get there) so I decided to keep my thumbs up to date by taking my 64MM F-18 to the local park. It being a weekday and 2pm, no one was there, which is my personal rule for flying anything in parks. If there are kids and/or people around, I don't fly. Anyway, after the second flight, I hear "sir, sir" behind me and turn around to see a cop coming my way. I had just landed and was retrieving the plane, so I walked up to her, plane in hand. I don't like cops, but I made and effort not to start off with "what's the problem".

She tells me the PD was called by an individual complaining about my flying - saying I was too close to the airport. She asked me if I had ID, and I handed her my DL and the FAA registration. She looks at the FAA card and says: "so, we've been wondering how this works". I then explained about the requirements, how everyone has to be registered as of this month, the safety guidance, the fact that FAA controls the airspace and has jurisdiction over local use, etc etc. By this time, her supervisor, a captain has walked over. She explains it all to him. Also by this time, dispatch radios in to say the local airport has no complaints. Then I explain about the AMA, modelers vs drones, that we too are upset by poor judgment of the drone guys and understand the concerns etc. I indicated to them that everything, including an LEO "kit" is available on FAA.gov. By this time, the captain had brought up the website on his ipad, and stated to her "there is no issue here - we will educate our guys on procedures here".

And that was that. That FAA card saved me a lot of trouble.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Ram-bro

good job, you deserve a gold star or maybe the cop was looking to get a gold star......
Old 02-11-2016, 01:16 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Nicely done! You've got good LEOs there too - willing to listen and learn something.

Well done indeed!!
Old 02-11-2016, 05:41 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Well, as of today, I am a big fan of registration.

Situation: Haven't been to the field in a while due to work etc. (it takes me 1 hr to get there) so I decided to keep my thumbs up to date by taking my 64MM F-18 to the local park. It being a weekday and 2pm, no one was there, which is my personal rule for flying anything in parks. If there are kids and/or people around, I don't fly. Anyway, after the second flight, I hear "sir, sir" behind me and turn around to see a cop coming my way. I had just landed and was retrieving the plane, so I walked up to her, plane in hand. I don't like cops, but I made and effort not to start off with "what's the problem".

She tells me the PD was called by an individual complaining about my flying - saying I was too close to the airport. She asked me if I had ID, and I handed her my DL and the FAA registration. She looks at the FAA card and says: "so, we've been wondering how this works". I then explained about the requirements, how everyone has to be registered as of this month, the safety guidance, the fact that FAA controls the airspace and has jurisdiction over local use, etc etc. By this time, her supervisor, a captain has walked over. She explains it all to him. Also by this time, dispatch radios in to say the local airport has no complaints. Then I explain about the AMA, modelers vs drones, that we too are upset by poor judgment of the drone guys and understand the concerns etc. I indicated to them that everything, including an LEO "kit" is available on FAA.gov. By this time, the captain had brought up the website on his ipad, and stated to her "there is no issue here - we will educate our guys on procedures here".

And that was that. That FAA card saved me a lot of trouble.
The police responded to a call about being too close to an airport.

Holding an FAA registration should have no bearing on the cop's decision to resolve the complaint. As a matter of fact, instead of properly asking you to leave if you are too close to an airport, they could have not only asked you to leave but then used the registration to take action against you. If in fact you have violated the FAA interpretation of the airspace, the FAA card is the tool they intend to use to persue any action the cop is willing to do paperwork for.

This incident implies that since we have FAA cards we are legal to own and fly a model aircraft. So that's a good thing now? Sounds like that was how the police interpreted it. What about the original complaint that sent the cops there in the first place?

Last edited by Chris Smith; 02-11-2016 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:23 AM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Smith

Holding an FAA registration should have no bearing on the cop's decision to resolve the complaint. As a matter of fact, instead of properly asking you to leave if you are too close to an airport, they could have not only asked you to leave but then used the registration to take action against you. If in fact you have violated the FAA interpretation of the airspace, the FAA card is the tool they intend to use to persue any action the cop is willing to do paperwork for.

This incident implies that since we have FAA cards we are legal to own and fly a model aircraft. So that's a good thing now? Sounds like that was how the police interpreted it. What about the original complaint that sent the cops there in the first place?
Not sure if we got all the information in that story. Did the responding officer(s) determine that it wasn't too close to the airport per the policy they read? It would make sense that if the police were called by someone who is saying that r/c is being done too close to the airport, when the officer(s) show up and determine that the facts of the matter is that the flying isn't too close per FAA regs, they would just let the person(s) go.

During Super Bowl, I was out on a four hour walk around the city. since I couldn't do any flying at the club I belong to since it's within 32 miles from Levi's stadium. I was walking through densely populated residential areas in the city of San Mateo CA. I look up and I see a quad drone buzzing all over back and fourth maybe 300 feet over the houses. I watched it land on the back deck of a house which is on a hill. Deal with that is, no one was supposed to be flying r/c within something like 32 miles of Levi's stadium. This drone was flying well within the 32 miles (as the crow flies) from the stadium. So basically two things were going on here. 1) A drone was being flown over a densely populated residential area. And 2) In a location that was deemed a no-fly zone because of the Super Bowl. Guess someone doesn't mind dicking with the system. But there's also the saying: "mess with the bull and you're going to get the horns".

These are the individuals who have caused what we have now with the FAA. These are the individuals who continue to do stupid things with r/c. And these are going to be the same individuals who if/when caught are going to be hammered by authorities for doing the things they are not supposed to be doing.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 02-11-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Ram-bro

Preaching to the choir
Old 02-12-2016, 05:00 PM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys,

I went ahead and registered today and it was simple and quick. But I have recently bought a bigger plane and I really dont understand the 55 pound and over registration process. If someone has done this already can you please let me know how you did it? Thanks

Steven
Old 02-12-2016, 07:10 PM
TTRotary

Originally Posted by Chris Smith
No. The police responded to a call from a resident whose house borders this park, and who is irritated by RC flying and calls the cops every time. When they asked him why he objected to the rc plane being flown in the park and informed him the city has no prohibition on flying rc in parks, he said he thought it was too close to the local airport (Cable Airport). In fact, Cable is 5 miles away from that park, and I keep my private full-scale A/C over there. In fact, I personally know Bob Cable, the owner of the airport.

The guy who called in is either mis-informed or intentionally made up some story, and the cops don't know about the FAA's NAS rules, and so had no idea whether the complaint was legitimate or not.

This incident implies that since we have FAA cards we are legal to own and fly a model aircraft. So that's a good thing now?
That day at the park, it was a very good thing, which is why I posted my experience. The FAA card quickly resolved any issues the cops might have had. It went a lot faster than trying to explain who the AMA is, what they do, their safety guidelines, and so on, and likely getting nowhere with cops. Not only did I get to go on flying that day, but I probably made it much easier from now on for other fliers who are subject to complaints in our city. As with everywhere else, there have been a lot of complaints by residents concerning drones.