Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

electric vereses air retracts.?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

electric vereses air retracts.?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 07:11 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I guess it depends on how you install and maintain. My air gear have been at least as reliable as the electrics at my field.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:57 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by erh7771
There are no valves, valve servos, valve connections or hoses with big etracts... maybe a control module depending on the maker... that's a half ounce if that

With most 1/2inch pin etracts its the etract, which weighs the same as the air retract, and servo wires or extensions.

Now Robart makes an amp out electric conversion kits for a lot of current air retracts... 200 dollars with control module which is convenient cause the rx\tx doesn't need to be on to work the retracts up or down.
And why can't one do the same by moving the retract servo. Don't even need the plane turned on....
People argue over their decision to what they have purchased Radio Plane ( Motor Electric engine Fuel)Props RETRACT. The argue because thay don't want to think they didn't buy the right thing and what someone else bought just might be better. Or better just because it's EASIER. Not how every Add says Easy in it .... No one wants to put in the effort anymore ... Everyone wants it all done for them .... Me too. I hate Glue . Don't even Like to repair or put together an ARF. That's why they have Swap meets and of course RCU. LongLive RCU.
This Bad Dog doesn't have a need for any gear. It ain't gonna Land, Just go BOOOM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:46 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
And why can't one do the same by moving the retract servo. Don't even need the plane turned on....
First of all, you shouldn't raise your blood pressure over this topic. Second, moving the retract servo doesn't work if you have a electronic air valve.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:02 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by dubd
First of all, you shouldn't raise your blood pressure over this topic. Second, moving the retract servo doesn't work if you have a electronic air valve.
My Blood Presure is Just fine thank ya for your concern ... Didn't know anyone had an electronic air valve. Who's brand has the electronic air valve. All my retracts are eFlite, Spring air. what ever comes in the Blue nose w/ the retract servo attached to the retract it's self. and of course Robarts air retracts on the TF P-47. Yes they are a pain to adjust the leakage valve.. But it can bedone. What ya wana fly instead of screwing away the whole flying morning trying to get some simple thing to work properly. Best maintenance is at the field down and dirty look't for thar servo screw U dropped in the grass. Next thing U got her ready to fly and every one is packed up and headed to Hog Alley for a beer and a brat. Heaven forbid, sure don't wanna miss a lunch.
PLZ Enlighten me as to what an electronic air valve is and how it works ... OH I have an older Robart P-47 Electric retracts (still in the box) U know the ones U can burn out by plugging them into the control box backwards. Looking forward to your explanation of the electronic air valve.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:10 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking forward to your explanation of the electronic air valve.
Really!? You have never heard of electronic valves like Jettonics or Xicoy?
Old 02-07-2016, 03:07 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The electronic valves have been around for years. If I use air, I like using these valves. Moving forward, I will always use electric. I have BVM conversion D&L and also Behotec. They work very well and are very reliable.

Check out the valves

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...ectronic-Valve

http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...l-Action-Valve
Old 02-07-2016, 03:49 PM
dubd

George and DrV explained it. They work great and eliminate using a servo.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:01 PM
HoundDog

Ain't worth the time to argue about it. Thanks for the explination though.

Doggies cold run the "Nap of the Earth" at 200' AGL

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-07-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:17 PM
dubd

Ain't worth the time to argue about it. Thanks for the explination though.

Doggies cold run the "Nap of the Earth" at 200' AGL
Definitely ain't worth the time.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:05 PM
HoundDog

Definitely ain't worth the time.
wHY AIN'T YA WATCHING THE sb 50
Old 02-07-2016, 06:29 PM
dubd

wHY AIN'T YA WATCHING THE sb 50
multitasking.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2145938  
Old 02-07-2016, 07:48 PM
HoundDog

multitasking.
How do u get your phone Pics on a computer or did U work directly from the phone?
Old 02-07-2016, 07:54 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

I know I am coming in late but I am just going to say once you get the electrics set up right they are awesome. I had over 160+ flights on my first Skygate Hawk and now have close to 30 flight on my second one with no issues on my Down and Lock conversions. The weight difference is very little compared to air. I have a Robart set in my H9
P-51 1/5th with 4 years of trouble free flying.

I can say I never had to make a wheels up landing on anything with electrics with the one exception of my current hawk when I first flew it at GA jets. I reused the motors from my first Hawk that was lost to fire. My mistake. One of the drives broke with the wheels up so I just pulled the others up and made a perfect grass slide.

The first flights on the first hawk had a few times I had to cycle the gear because they would amp out. But with the electrics I could cycle them 20+ times in the air with out worrying about running out power.

I figured out it took a little bit bigger battery to pick up the heavy gear with out amping out.

I have the doors on servos also and love the scale look going up and down.

I understand it is a preference. I prefer the electrics.

Name:	1662073_10206191677180690_3747919946690530772_n.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	2145941  
Old 02-07-2016, 07:56 PM
dubd

How do u get your phone Pics on a computer or did U work directly from the phone?
I uploaded the pic from my phone.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:02 PM
HoundDog

I uploaded the pic from my phone.
HOW? Only had this damn smart phone for a month or so. Hate it it ain't that smart.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:08 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by jws_aces
I know I am coming in late but I am just going to say once you get the electrics set up right they are awesome. I had over 160+ flights on my first Skygate Hawk and now have close to 30 flight on my second one with no issues on my Down and Lock conversions. The weight difference is very little compared to air. I have a Robart set in my H9
P-51 1/5th with 4 years of trouble free flying.

I can say I never had to make a wheels up landing on anything with electrics with the one exception of my current hawk when I first flew it at GA jets. I reused the motors from my first Hawk that was lost to fire. My mistake. One of the drives broke with the wheels up so I just pulled the others up and made a perfect grass slide.

The first flights on the first hawk had a few times I had to cycle the gear because they would amp out. But with the electrics I could cycle them 20+ times in the air with out worrying about running out power.

I figured out it took a little bit bigger battery to pick up the heavy gear with out amping out.

I have the doors on servos also and love the scale look going up and down.

I understand it is a preference. I prefer the electrics.
Maiden flight of myTF 85" WS P-47 was a gear up. Not because of gear failur. Frogot to loctite a wheel color and on the gear check the right wheel fell off. It's so just jump to the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBU6sgJvhSw

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-07-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:27 PM
dubd

HOW? Only had this damn smart phone for a month or so. Hate it it ain't that smart.
PM me and I'll explain it.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:19 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Electrics have come a long way and the price is coming down. The biggest complaint I've had is the slow speed of operation. Modern (full scale) fighter gear retracts in three to four seconds while most electric gear I've seen take at least twice as long. Has there been a speed increase lately?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:47 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Mark that would be my only complaint also. My gear take about 13 seconds to retract. One of the reason is to allow it to amp out and the end points without ripping it's self apart. I am sure it will get better in the future.

Like I said before I am very happy with mine. I am having D&L do a set of gear for my Miester Scale 102" P-47.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:25 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by jws_aces
Mark that would be my only complaint also. My gear take about 13 seconds to retract. One of the reason is to allow it to amp out and the end points without ripping it's self apart. I am sure it will get better in the future.

Like I said before I am very happy with mine. I am having D&L do a set of gear for my Miester Scale 102" P-47.
One thing about Lectric Gear that Use either retract of metal gear servos with the modern radios with SERVO SPEED I can set any speed even different speed for up than down . I can even put a delay in one side by Mixing channels. Makes for a very realistic gear system movement on different war birds. Another advantage to gear that use a retract servo, it can be replaced with a strong Metal gear servo and the END POINTS can be set. Makes for a very inexpensive and very reliable set up. U also don't get the erratic gear at start up associated with the cheaper retracts used in some of the Foam planes and jets.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:23 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dreamworks has been producing the Pro-Link Electric retracts and brakes for over three years now. They have proven to be extremely durable, trouble free systems with exceptional torque and transit speed. I would love to hear from anyone whom has been unsatisfied with our Pro-Drive systems!?

Of course, there is always room for improvement and improvements we have made! We have just received our first inventory batch of our latest generation electric retract systems; The GENESIS SERIES.

The Genesis series offers an extremely robust two piece CNC frame, sealing the motor and gearbox from the mechanics while eliminating all possibility of friction or binding due to uneven mounting rails. Over-sized T-Bar, beefed up trunion, and a dual bearing supported drive screw assures these retracts remain slop free even after those not-so-perfect landings. Connector plug is integrated into the retract housing, allowing for simple gear installation and removal. One of the most important upgrades to the Genesis Series is position sensing end stops, while retaining current sensing in transit. Travel endpoints are sensor controlled, eliminating all the stresses on the mechanics and drive system typically seen with stall current actuator systems. As an additional safety, we retained the stall current mode while gear are in transit. Gearing specifically selected to provide substantially more torque than our competitors while retaining our quick transit speed.
The Genesis series will be offered as pin mount and clamp lock style trunions in common sizing as well as normal and reversed configurations. Nose units are available as tiller steer, direct steer and reversed direct steer.
Product listings for the Genesis series should be up on the website by Friday. 8mm pin mount and 1/2" trunion lock versions are in stock, reversed units are in production.

Name:	2015-09-07 18.31.39.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	532.6 KB
ID:	2146277   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-07 18.31.43.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	730.0 KB
ID:	2146278   Click image for larger version

Name:	PLE-33400-PRO.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	2146279  
Old 02-09-2016, 01:55 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Todd
What size (weight) jets are these gear designed for ??
thx Vin...
Old 02-09-2016, 05:42 PM
George

Here are the new Genesis in action.

https://youtu.be/FW0XZ5rl-Hg
Old 02-09-2016, 07:31 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by George
Here are the new Genesis in action.

https://youtu.be/FW0XZ5rl-Hg
Too small for a GS WWII planes. Do they Make bigger stuff?
Besides where's the sequencing Gear
doors?
Old 02-10-2016, 03:55 AM
George

There are no gear doors on the Turbinator, but the controller does handle gear doors along with all the sequencing and delays.

The Genesis is the first of its kind in the PL line, but I think they are planning on making other sizes. I don't know how large you need, but they do have the Hercules series which I believe have been tested, and will lift 9 or 10 pounds with a 7" strut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.