Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New product, Telemetry for Weatronic transmitters

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New product, Telemetry for Weatronic transmitters

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 06:42 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New product, Telemetry for Weatronic transmitters

It's no secret that I have been a "little" disappointed by most of the transmitter manufactures implementation of telemetry, especially when it comes to 3rd party sensors.
I have made quite a number of different sensors, most importantly my ASSI device, GPS module, pressure sensor and a few other modules. In most cases the implementation of the sensors had to use some of the existing sensor types on the transmitter, making the transmitter "think" it was some of its known sensors.
As I got a "little" tired of this, I decided to make my own Android app (for tablets/mobile phones). This receives the data from my devices via a separate downlink from the plane (on 433 or 915 MHz).

Now Weatronic has come to the rescue!
With Weatronic, you don't need to trick the transmitter! Of the many transmitter protocol I know of, Weatronic has nailed it quite well! The have a full-blown telemetry protocol, and
they have really made a very nice system. The protocol is designed the way stuff like that is supposed to be, many (most?) of the other transmitter brands have the
telemetry as a "woops, we forgot telemetry, lets throw something together quickly" thing in their transmitters.

I have now Weatronic transmitters showing data from my devices, below you will see a screen dump from a BAT64 transmitter showing data from my ASSI device.
The screen is just preliminary, and is used as a "proof of concept" rather than a completely finished solution. But I think you get the picture The best part is that
you, the user, can change the screen layout yourself (and yes, you can use icons, picures, dynamic bitmaps and what not ) !

I have made a small "telemetry converter" that will connect to the CAN bus of my sensors (ASSI etc) and to the SCU IN port of the Weatronic receivers.
At the moment I'm finalizing this and shortly Ultimate Jets ("olnico" etc) will carry some of this equipment.

More info about the ASSI device (and some of the other modules)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...atalogger.html

More info on my Android solution:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ng-things.html

I will post some more info once available.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-06 16.55.21.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	2145776  
Old 02-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent. working on shifting from DV4 to BAT 60 and still have not quite figure it out the best way to increase my use of sensors
Old 02-08-2016, 12:40 PM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work Carsten, looking forward to receiving mine..
Will these values also be able to be spoken via the programmable voices like what we already have ie speed etc?

Alan
Old 02-09-2016, 12:06 AM
Carsten Groen

Thanks Edgar and Alan
Alan, yes I believe so. There is currently no way of assigning the 3rd party telemetry values to voice (you can select any of the fixes telemetry sensors to voice) yet, but according to the drums this will be possible.
I'm currently working on finalizing the software for the small protocol converter (it is named "CAN-SCU") and so far all looks nice and warm
Old 02-18-2016, 12:35 AM
Carsten Groen

Guys,
this is now put on hold from my side because of the situation Weatronic currently is in
Makes no sense for me to spend countless hours on implementing this stuff if Weatronic is closing. If they go on (hopefully!) I will continue on this
Old 02-18-2016, 03:42 AM
fireblade5437

😂😂😂
Old 02-18-2016, 05:36 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carsten Groen
Guys,
this is now put on hold from my side because of the situation Weatronic currently is in
Makes no sense for me to spend countless hours on implementing this stuff if Weatronic is closing. If they go on (hopefully!) I will continue on this
Carsten, can you add a link to any info you may have on Weatronic's situation?

EDIT, found the thread , a real shame.

Regards,

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 02-18-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:32 AM
Carsten Groen

Hi Mike,
yes that is bad
There is some indication that something has been added to the case today (18/2) here:
http://www.unternehmen24.info/Firmen...nen/DE/3817465

But what it is and not I don't know. I just hope that they will be able to continue some way...
Old 02-18-2016, 10:04 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Mike,
yes that is bad
There is some indication that something has been added to the case today (18/2) here:
http://www.unternehmen24.info/Firmen...nen/DE/3817465

But what it is and not I don't know. I just hope that they will be able to continue some way...
The company registry has changed. This most probably means changing of ownership. Which most probably means that the company is being backed up by another group.
I have had no direct news from the Weatronic staff so far and I do not want to bother them with questions in a critical time.
However I can see that the support they are getting from modellers in Europe is tremendous. I am quite confident at this stage that the company will get a new owner and new financing.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:35 PM
anderhau
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone have read somewhere that Ultimate Jets are the new owners? Any comment on that?

Last edited by anderhau; 02-18-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:55 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by anderhau
Someone have read somewhere that Ultimate Jets are the new owners? Ant comment on that?
No, we are not. Wrong information.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:27 AM
fireblade5437

Hope you will continue with this?

Alan

Guys,

Last edited by fireblade5437; 03-18-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:59 PM
Carsten Groen

Hi Alan,
absolutely! I'm just waiting to hear what the plans etc are of the new owner. I have an NDA with the "original" Weatronic, need to have that cleared before doing anything else, but I assume this is just a formality
Old 03-19-2016, 12:15 AM
fireblade5437

Hi Carsten

I was hoping you would say that

Alan

Hi Alan,
absolutely! I'm just waiting to hear what the plans etc are of the new owner. I have an NDA with the "original" Weatronic, need to have that cleared before doing anything else, but I assume this is just a formality