Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Powerbox Mercury

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Powerbox Mercury

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:08 AM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dan, no one knows the Spektrum gyro module yet, but I doubt it will have the features and accuracy of the Powerbox or Cortex gyros (yet). Furthermore the Mercury has:

- GPS regulated gyro gain
- a built-in door sequencer
- two built-in regulators
- servo matching
- an external display

Thomas
Old 02-19-2017, 10:25 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjetsaok
Speaking of.... Now with the Spektrum 20ch RX and the built in telemetry, and soon to come a gyro module ( for $ 69.99us ) Is there ant advantage of Powebox Mercury over that for the Spektrum guys?? I was going to do the Mercury, but now I'm on the fence... Lots of features in the Specktrum set-up just like the Mercury.. Thoughts??

Dan
I had given up on Spektrum as the DX18 is just too big for my hands. I've a friend who's been using a Mercury with a few issues showing up and it went back to Germany. It's back in the model and seems to be okay, we'll see next weekend.

Then it's looking like JR is really gone, who's next? I don't think it will be Spektrum and since the new radio is smaller, I got one of the new DX20 radios and the 20 channel PowerSafe rx to see how things work. I've got the gyro module backordered and the only real reason I can see using the Mercury is if you buy the GPS unit for automatic speed adjustments.

Don't know when I'll get around to messing with it as it's still Winter here, but it is another less expensive option. Oh bye the way, that new Spektrum radio is pretty nice. I cannot imagine why they don't give you a color screen yet but it'll do lots of things.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:57 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good points... Before the 20 Rx set-up, the powerbox was less expensive by the time you bought the 12ch Rx, the expander module, the telemetry moudule, and a I-Gyro or Cortes... And the Powerbox like you say has lots of extra's... I've never done Powebox to speak of, and I'm just a little intemidated by it but I think that's what I want to do

Dan
Old 02-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Sam-E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colour screens are really good for draining battery life.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:22 PM
bluelevel

Originally Posted by Sam-E
Colour screens are really good for draining battery life.
Sam, apparently you have never seen a Powerbox product in real life before? Their displays are monochrome and they draw almost no power. Furthermore we are talking jet applications here, so I am pretty sure that everybody will have a dual battery setup with at least 3000mAh per battery. I am not worried at all about the 5mAh that the display might draw

Thomas
Old 02-20-2017, 01:25 PM
bluelevel

Good points... Before the 20 Rx set-up, the powerbox was less expensive by the time you bought the 12ch Rx, the expander module, the telemetry moudule, and a I-Gyro or Cortes... And the Powerbox like you say has lots of extra's... I've never done Powebox to speak of, and I'm just a little intemidated by it but I think that's what I want to do
Dan
I understand where you are coming from. These little devices have a ton of features and they are not very intuitive to program. But once you learned the basics you will love them! Furthermore there are always people here to help and there is also a forum by Powerbox System that will most likely answer all your questions.

Thomas
Old 02-20-2017, 01:43 PM
Sam-E

Originally Posted by bluelevel
Sam, apparently you have never seen a Powerbox product in real life before? Their displays are monochrome and they draw almost no power. Furthermore we are talking jet applications here, so I am pretty sure that everybody will have a dual battery setup with at least 3000mAh per battery. I am not worried at all about the 5mAh that the display might draw

Thomas
That screen is not the type of screen on a jr or futaba radio though.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:54 PM
rcjetsaok

Originally Posted by bluelevel
I understand where you are coming from. These little devices have a ton of features and they are not very intuitive to program. But once you learned the basics you will love them! Furthermore there are always people here to help and there is also a forum by Powerbox System that will most likely answer all your questions.

Thomas
Thanks Thomas, I might be taking you up on that !!!

Dan
Old 02-20-2017, 05:33 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Thomas, I might be taking you up on that !!!

Dan
just to throw my two cents into the mix. I was skeptical about spending that much on a powerbox so I picked up a good used one for a jet I am building. Once I started playing with all the features that it has..this thing is wonderful. The redundancy between receivers is amazing, the servo matching is great, add the gps unit and a telemetry unit and you are getting all your relevant data on the screen for you to see. I like it so much that I just bought a competition to use in another airplane of mine. I did not need the gyro, gear sequencing, or the gps that the Royal has, but it does do the servo matching and dual redundancy on the RX's for an expensive airplane. Also this allows me to now use telemetry through the Futaba RX for this plane.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:26 PM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I am trying to setup a Mecury SRS with a Spektrum DX18G2 in my jet that has retracts but no gear doors. I went through the setup and got all of the flight controls assigned and configured (Ailerons,flaps,elevators, rudder, and nose gear). I also assigned channels for the gyro gain (Llv) and gyro flightmodes (3 pos sw). The problem I'm having is trying to get the brakes and retracts assigned. I've got the brakes set to ch10 and the retracts to ch12 on the transmitter but I cannot get it to work. I tried to go through the door sequencer assistant where it asks you to cycle the gear switch, which I did, but after cycling it a couple of times the little circle next to OK does not do anything when I push SET, the whole thing just hangs, I then have to shut it down. When I restart the gear switch is not recognized.
Another question, is there anyway to configure any of the six channels used for gear doors for other use? Because the gyro uses two channels (gain and flightmode sw) I need 13 channels to run 2-ail, 2-flaps, -2-ele, 2-rudder, throttle, gear, brakes, gain, gyro flightmode.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

Tom
Old 11-26-2017, 10:40 PM
Signofinfinity

Default Telemetry on Spektrum

A quick question to the guys in the know.

Considered Mercury for my latest jet build. Since I am using Spektrum DX18G2, is it at all possible to:
1. Transmit the turbine data to TX (JetCentral Cheetah) via Mercury/TM1000.
2. Transmit GPS data from the Mercury to have speed readouts.
3. Does the TM1000 need to have the spektrum GPS or can I use the built in PB GPS?

Thanks for your support.

George
​​​
Old 11-27-2017, 08:08 AM
rcjetsaok

You are going to need the Jet Cental telemetry module for turbine data if I’m understanding you correctly.. Call Jose.

Dan

P.S. let us know how you end up with that I’m wanting to do the same thing. I have the jet central module but I have not messed with any of it as of yet. I will let you know how I progress with mine as well . I am using mercury also.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:32 AM
Signofinfinity

Just did this morning.

Two issues I see;
1. Jet central telemetry work great with the tm1000. For it to work on a tm1000 and powerbox.... I see too much clutter.
2. No GPS data is transmitted to the DX18. Protocol it seems. So again, tm1000 plus GPS module needed.

I might consider an AR20310t, stick in a GPS, spektrum module, and Bavarian demon..... issues solved.

The make or break is the answer from Jose. I don't see it favourable to Futaba with regards to telemetry. Will the Xicoy module work on the SE series?

George
​​​​​

Last edited by Signofinfinity; 11-27-2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-27-2017, 09:44 PM
Signofinfinity

Confirmed by Jose,

No telemetry for Futaba.
So that pretty much makes my decision. AR20310t Powersafe, spektrum engine module, spektrum GPS, Bavarian demon (x4elevons).

Not much I can do. Mercury has only part telemetry with spectrum. Unless there is a way of connecting the TM1000,and using the TM1000 for all the telemetry requirements, namely; turbine info, speed, and GPS position.

George
Old 11-28-2017, 09:27 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Only 15 channels?
Old 11-28-2017, 09:40 PM
Signofinfinity

Originally Posted by ravill
Only 15 channels?
Actually only 14 are needed on a 4 elevon Delta, including the complex 6 dual valve air system and lights.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:40 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a jet that has elevons and canard and thrust vectoring. I fly Futaba 18MZ do I set the radio in normal mode using only one elevator and one rudder and do the mixing in the Mercury under the Delata & VT setting?

I'm using two Futaba 7008SB receivers

If anyone has a set up file for the SAB Drake I would appreciate a copy.
Thanks for any help

Last edited by RC_MAN; 07-26-2019 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-26-2019, 09:21 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Correct, set the radio to normal and the Mercury will do the mixing for delta and the VT will function in FM3. Make sure you update to the latest V9 software with the new gyro sensitivity, the SAB models need this.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:44 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New firmware

i could not find a more detailed description of what the new firmware does. Is this a bug fix, new functionality, other?
Old 07-27-2019, 07:17 AM
marksp
My Feedback: (9)

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
i could not find a more detailed description of what the new firmware does. Is this a bug fix, new functionality, other?
Mercury SRS - Software Updates - PowerBox-Systems | Support