Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Any Jet Flying near Nashville?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Any Jet Flying near Nashville?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 12:22 PM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Any Jet Flying near Nashville?

Hey guys,

My wife and I are kicking around the idea of a move. After twenty years of the military telling me where to go we're a lot lost right now.

One of the areas we've talked about is Nashville. I was there a few weeks ago on a layover and loved it.

I'm wondering about models. Is there much of a jet community there? Fields that would support jets (700' paved?...I know my UF would do fine on grass, but the F-4s...not so much). A good group of guys?

Also, any advice on housing areas would be welcomed. This area is good, stay away from X, the school here are good/bad etc. We have kids from preschool age to high school age. My wife likes the convenience of a city like Vegas (where we've been for 7 years) but we want a more rural/family values feel. We'd like to end up with a couple acres...butting up to woods or something where the kids could play would be preferred as well.

Thanks in advance
Dave
Old 04-16-2016, 01:11 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

There is a 400 foot runway the Nashville guys fly at locally, they also go to bowling green that has a 800 foot runway. I haven't been to their local one but the bowling green field is really nice.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:17 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dave,
There are about 12 guys in the Nashville area flying turbine models. Our primary flying site is Peeler Park located in Madison,Tn. The park has a paved 50x400' paved runway that easily handled many of your sport jets and some scale models. The Nashville guys have flown the Carf Lightning, Flash, and Eurosports, Skymaster large F-4, PC-21, large Hawk, and 1/6 scale F-16. We have also flown an assortment of other sport jets, including the Aurora, a couple of Rebel Pros, Boomerangs, Excaliber, etc. When more space is needed, we generally make the short drive to Bowling Green, Kentucky (roughly 62 miles north of Nashville) which has a 50x800' paved runway.

Last edited by David Jackson; 04-16-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New guys to the Nashville/BG area is always a warm welcome!
Old 04-17-2016, 04:32 AM
exfed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo Dave, Like you, it all started with a BNA layover and the realization that it would be a great place to retire. And I wasn't wrong.

We have lots of jet activity at the Peeler Park site, Link enclosed. I haven't met any of the jet guys that aren't friendly and great to be around.

You will find the folks here to be friendly, the real estate prices are more than reasonable, good schools, etc.

The only problem you and your wife might have after living in Las Vegas, is that I hope you don't mind the color green, and also be advised that there are times when wet stuff seems to fall from the skys.

.musiccityaviators.org/

contact me if I can be of any assistance, [email protected]
Old 04-17-2016, 08:03 AM
ozief16

Fellas,

Thanks for the data, it's much appreciated. I'll be there again tonight and will rent a car and head out tomorrow morning if I can find a cheap rental.

Any advice you guys have on areas to look would be appreciated. It seems like you move to an area and it takes a year or so to figure out you don't want to live in X becuase the traffic is terrible or that is in a different county with higher taxes, worse schools, etc. The idea of moving there and renting for a year sounds good until I think about packing the herd up in a year and moving again (never mind what that does if kids have to switch schools etc).

Thanks again
Dave
Old 04-17-2016, 10:45 AM
rjbob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be arriving Nashville tomorrow afternoon (the 18th) at about 4:00pm. Renting a car and driving down to Mississippi Afterburner in Jackson.
Anyone in Nashville up for coffee or dinner before my long drive?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:32 PM
ozief16

Sorry bob, that's about the time I'm headed out

Dave
Old 04-17-2016, 07:40 PM
rjbob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ozief16
Sorry bob, that's about the time I'm headed out

Dave
Would have been nice to meet up.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:57 PM
ozief16

Guys,

A huge thanks to Tom N. and Peaches for taking me around on Monday. The flying sites were outstanding and the company was better.

David, it was quite nice meeting you as well.

Nashville is still on the list with lots more research due.

Thanks again

Dave